Discussion - Fairy Tail's Strongest Duo | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fairy Tail's Strongest Duo

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well yeah, Laxus + Gildarts is overkill. They are superior to any other duo hands-down but they aren't seen as a team and they haven't fought together before. Natsu and Gray regularly team up and occasionally we get Mira and Erza.
I'd see Gildarts and Natsu as a duo to be a more powerful one in the end over Gildarts and Laxus because we know that Natsu certainly can be more powerful than laxus given the right motive. But as for common duo's, Natsu and Gray seems to be one of the more notable ones. If Wendy or Gajeel got significant power-ups, which I doubt especially in the case of Wendy, then I might be tempted to say Natsu and Wendy, as they seem to work together really well. If we were to ignore the Fairy Tail rule, a possible contender would be Wendy + Sherria in my book.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
^^ I don't see Gildarts x Natsu being more powerful than gildarts x laxus. Don't forget laxus can use fairy law as well. Gildarts and laxus are FT tops.
Natsu x wendy aren't contenders. Gildarts x Laxus would annihilate them. Wendy x sheria isn't even worth mentioning. Just gildarts or laxus would obliterate them.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
^^ I don't see Gildarts x Natsu being more powerful than gildarts x laxus. Don't forget laxus can use fairy law as well. Gildarts and laxus are FT tops.
Natsu x wendy aren't contenders. Gildarts x Laxus would annihilate them. Wendy x sheria isn't even worth mentioning. Just gildarts or laxus would obliterate them.
Natsu and Wendy at full power would be contenders, but ultimately lose. If both were in Dragon Force, they'd be able to account for Laxus and give Gildarts a run for his money before being defeated. Natsu is stronger than Laxus when it comes down to it. Laxus isn't as powerful as Natsu in a serious battle, and Natsu will eventually be leaps and bounds ahead of him if he isn't already. Laxus isn't near Gildarts' level from what we've seen of him yet, but Natsu is above where Gildarts was in Tenroujima. He wasn't even trying and he one-shotted Blue Note. Thats something Laxus would struggle to do. Excluding Makarov, Natsu is the second-strongest member of Fairy Tail, with Gildarts being #1.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Natsu and Wendy at full power would be contenders, but ultimately lose. If both were in Dragon Force, they'd be able to account for Laxus and give Gildarts a run for his money before being defeated. Natsu is stronger than Laxus when it comes down to it. Laxus isn't as powerful as Natsu in a serious battle, and Natsu will eventually be leaps and bounds ahead of him if he isn't already. Laxus isn't near Gildarts' level from what we've seen of him yet, but Natsu is above where Gildarts was in Tenroujima. He wasn't even trying and he one-shotted Blue Note. Thats something Laxus would struggle to do. Excluding Makarov, Natsu is the second-strongest member of Fairy Tail, with Gildarts being #1.
Actually they won't be contenders. Wendy still cannot move under bluenotes gravity after the timeskip. Its not a battle at all. Natsu is not stronger than laxus. Natsu is simply allowed to beat the main antagonist because he is a main character. That's why Laxus, Gildarts and Makarov mostly sit out fights so Natsu can shine, and when they do face similar enemies, they outperform him.
Remember laxus has never even used dragon force and he is this powerful. Laxus also decided to get stronger over the timeskip. He was one of the few who explicitly stated that so there's no reason he didn't grow exponentially like Natsu.
Also, laxus and gildarts are close in power. I did not say laxus is stronger. During the GMG, after jura's spell hit the magic counter, Makarov noted he is comparable to even gildarts and laxuw went on to defeat jura. That's enough proof.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Actually they won't be contenders. Wendy still cannot move under bluenotes gravity after the timeskip. Its not a battle at all. Natsu is not stronger than laxus. Natsu is simply allowed to beat the main antagonist because he is a main character. That's why Laxus, Gildarts and Makarov mostly sit out fights so Natsu can shine, and when they do face similar enemies, they outperform him.
Remember laxus has never even used dragon force and he is this powerful. Laxus also decided to get stronger over the timeskip. He was one of the few who explicitly stated that so there's no reason he didn't grow exponentially like Natsu.
Also, laxus and gildarts are close in power. I did not say laxus is stronger. During the GMG, after jura's spell hit the magic counter, Makarov noted he is comparable to even gildarts and laxuw went on to defeat jura. That's enough proof.
Thats assuming Laxus has Dragon Force. We haven't seen Laxus or Cobra, the 2nd Generation Dragon Slayers, use Dragon Force so they may not have it.
Jura would give Gildarts a good battle for sure, but in reality had Makarov seen how powerful Gildarts was during that time at all? No. So he would've been going off past memory of Gildarts, which may not be that accurate.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Thats assuming Laxus has Dragon Force. We haven't seen Laxus or Cobra, the 2nd Generation Dragon Slayers, use Dragon Force so they may not have it.
Jura would give Gildarts a good battle for sure, but in reality had Makarov seen how powerful Gildarts was during that time at all? No. So he would've been going off past memory of Gildarts, which may not be that accurate.
Well its only recently we saw wendy, sting and rogue use dragon force. Prior to that, only Natsu could and he needed external stimuli for that so we'll just wait and see.
Makarov has known gildarts since forever. He gauged that jura had power comparable to gildarts and there's no reason to doubt his words. Doesn't mean that jura can defeat him but the notion that Gildarts is just in a completely different class of his own isn't incorrect (so far). He is powerful but still within a certain bracket of strength and I say this as a huge fan of Gildarts. Heck jura even showed similar skills, he knocked down laxus and orga using raw strength and took a lighting enhanced punch on the chin with no damage done (like gildarts took on Natsu's flames with his bare hands)

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well its only recently we saw wendy, sting and rogue use dragon force. Prior to that, only Natsu could and he needed external stimuli for that so we'll just wait and see.
Makarov has known gildarts since forever. He gauged that jura had power comparable to gildarts and there's no reason to doubt his words. Doesn't mean that jura can defeat him but the notion that Gildarts is just in a completely different class of his own isn't incorrect (so far). He is powerful but still within a certain bracket of strength and I say this as a huge fan of Gildarts. Heck jura even showed similar skills, he knocked down laxus and orga using raw strength and took a lighting enhanced punch on the chin with no damage done (like gildarts took on Natsu's flames with his bare hands)
Sting and Rogue used Dragon Force when they battled Natsu and Gajeed in the GMG, so we've seen their Dragon Force for longer than Wendy's. Until we see the 2nd Gen use Dragon Force, its likely they don't have it.

shinsengumi

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
not as a team but just thinking of elements and abilities ;
juvia+gray+laxus can work great together . their abilities complement each other
natsu and gray has a synergy too ,like ,if someone is strong against fire their are likely to be weak against ice and vice versa(not always true but lets just say more times than not) .they could cover each others weaknesses
another one would be lucy and wendy (at the peak of their power) ,imagine lucy summonning the entire celestial spirits and wendy enchanting them beyond their limits .that would be one hell of an army
lastly erza and gajeel . erza could summon a super powerful magical armor for gajeel to eat .that would be hilarious but strong

michaelviper

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gildarts & Laxus hands down the most powerful, they're the type of characters that Mashima as to purposely remove from an arc so that the other characters can get the limelight, cause they'd just dominate. Next best would be Natsu & Gray, after Gildarts & Laxus they're the most powerful FT characters, plus they just seem naturally in tune with each other + didn't Mashima say that Natsu & Gray were FT's strongest duo.

Last edited:

Nabuchodonozor

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Natsu is not stronger than laxus. Natsu is simply allowed to beat the main antagonist because he is a main character.
Poor Natsu, he can even become a God and beat Zeref but he still will be weaker because "he is main character"? Natsu taking on most powerful guys doesn't make him neither stronger nor weaker than Laxus or Gildarts. Let's stick to the facts, not biased opinions. Why Mashima chooses Natsu to beat the main baddies doesn't really change his powerlevel, does it?

That's why Laxus, Gildarts and Makarov mostly sit out fights so Natsu can shine, and when they do face similar enemies, they outperform him.
Full powered Laxus lost against Lightningless and Dragonforceless Natsu+Gajeel.

Similar enemies, eh?

Jellal vs Jura. Jura's was shitting his pants seeing Se-Ma.
Laxus vs Jura is a very close win for Laxus
Natsu in dragon force vs the same Jellal who could take on Jura, that is on Laxus's level is a ohmygawdstomp by Natsu.

So power levels are something like
*Laxus=*Jura+1
*Jellal>>*Jura
*Natsu>>*Jellal

Yeah, I am using A>B>C logic. Jellal is like one of the fastest people and Natsu didn't even give a shit. Laxus's speed wouldn't be a problem for DF Natsu. Natsu's flames also incinerate everything, including magic. Natsu casually BURNED Sting/Rogue's Unison Raid, Gajeel's steel skin and Sting's stigma.

Oh, that's all not taking Lightning Flame mode into account. The only card you can play is "Laxus trained since then so he's stronger!", but you can't prove it :<

I'm using DF Natsu as a reference because he can casually go into Drafon Force now, unlike Laxus, who wasn't able to do it. It MAY be a result of his training after the timeskip, but I highly doubt he will be ever able to use it.

Laxus is pathetically weak, you know? His power comes from lachryma implanted in him because he has no talent for magic and/or has pathetically weak body. That's a pretty big reason as to why he shouldn't get as huge power-up as Natsu. His power is not really his. There's a limit on how much he can take from that lachryma, right? It's also a reason I think 2nd Gens can't really use Dragon Force. It's like comparing Juvia with a guy with a HUGE water blaster. Laxus just has a huge taser.

And now, Natsu beat Gildarts's record in "Bluenote extermination" discipline without both LF and Dragon Force. He ended in with one attack while being pissed off at Chelia, while Gildarts took like 3 with being fucking crazy with veins that are not even there popping out. That doesn't give us real comparison, we just know both Gildarts and Natsu are stronger than Bluenote. But if speed of extermination is any indication, Natsu was faster with barely like 1/4 of his power. And we have aura melting whole stadium. Laxus was fighting seriously against Raven Tail yet his powers weren't so overwhelming to have affected whole stadium. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Natsu is already on Gildarts level. Yeah, without LF and DF. Even if Gildarts's powers are this strong those 2 powerups can easily close the gap.

I just can't see how Laxus can compete. Even back in GMG, imagine Natsu in LF mode. I'm pretty sure Natsu in LF or in DF could exterminate whole Sabertooth if not for Minerva. (Yeah, using my favurite A>B>C, powered up demon Gemma killed by Sting and Rogue, stomped by base Natsu).

If Natsu could IMO take on Sabertooth in LF mode, then Raven Tail wouldn't be a problem.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Poor Natsu, he can even become a God and beat Zeref but he still will be weaker because "he is main character"? Natsu taking on most powerful guys doesn't make him neither stronger nor weaker than Laxus or Gildarts. Let's stick to the facts, not biased opinions. Why Mashima chooses Natsu to beat the main baddies doesn't really change his powerlevel, does it?

Full powered Laxus lost against Lightningless and Dragonforceless Natsu+Gajeel.

Similar enemies, eh?

Jellal vs Jura. Jura's was shitting his pants seeing Se-Ma.
Laxus vs Jura is a very close win for Laxus
Natsu in dragon force vs the same Jellal who could take on Jura, that is on Laxus's level is a ohmygawdstomp by Natsu.

So power levels are something like
*Laxus=*Jura+1
*Jellal>>*Jura
*Natsu>>*Jellal

Yeah, I am using A>B>C logic. Jellal is like one of the fastest people and Natsu didn't even give a shit. Laxus's speed wouldn't be a problem for DF Natsu. Natsu's flames also incinerate everything, including magic. Natsu casually BURNED Sting/Rogue's Unison Raid, Gajeel's steel skin and Sting's stigma.

Oh, that's all not taking Lightning Flame mode into account. The only card you can play is "Laxus trained since then so he's stronger!", but you can't prove it :<

I'm using DF Natsu as a reference because he can casually go into Drafon Force now, unlike Laxus, who wasn't able to do it. It MAY be a result of his training after the timeskip, but I highly doubt he will be ever able to use it.

Laxus is pathetically weak, you know? His power comes from lachryma implanted in him because he has no talent for magic and/or has pathetically weak body. That's a pretty big reason as to why he shouldn't get as huge power-up as Natsu. His power is not really his. There's a limit on how much he can take from that lachryma, right? It's also a reason I think 2nd Gens can't really use Dragon Force. It's like comparing Juvia with a guy with a HUGE water blaster. Laxus just has a huge taser.

And now, Natsu beat Gildarts's record in "Bluenote extermination" discipline without both LF and Dragon Force. He ended in with one attack while being pissed off at Chelia, while Gildarts took like 3 with being fucking crazy with veins that are not even there popping out. That doesn't give us real comparison, we just know both Gildarts and Natsu are stronger than Bluenote. But if speed of extermination is any indication, Natsu was faster with barely like 1/4 of his power. And we have aura melting whole stadium. Laxus was fighting seriously against Raven Tail yet his powers weren't so overwhelming to have affected whole stadium. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Natsu is already on Gildarts level. Yeah, without LF and DF. Even if Gildarts's powers are this strong those 2 powerups can easily close the gap.

I just can't see how Laxus can compete. Even back in GMG, imagine Natsu in LF mode. I'm pretty sure Natsu in LF or in DF could exterminate whole Sabertooth if not for Minerva. (Yeah, using my favurite A>B>C, powered up demon Gemma killed by Sting and Rogue, stomped by base Natsu).

If Natsu could IMO take on Sabertooth in LF mode, then Raven Tail wouldn't be a problem.
Jellal was even stronger when he battled Jura. Natsu is also stronger now, so I see Natsu being superior to Laxus.

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
Natsuto and Sasugray.

King Aegon 1

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Laxus and mystogan combo would be devastating other than gildats they are the strongest members until natsu becomes the strongest that is.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well Mystogan isn't a part of Fairy Tail anymore and he is in Edolas so he doesn't count.

King Aegon 1

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I do recall reading it saying he must not be included.

wooticus

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't think that one should consider Natsu's reentrance melting the stadium when calculating his power. That was just for show. Since that happened he did not once melt anything near him passively. There no doubt that...
...Gray could freeze an entire stadium...
...Laxus could shower a stadium in lightning...
...Gildarts would shatter it in pieces with a sneeze..
They are just not as reckless as Natsu.

Well, I agree that Natsu seems incredibly strong judging that fight against Bluenote. Still I doubt that Gildarts went all out back in the S-Class arc. Him going all out would always mean collateral damage. Still Natsu might finally have come close to his level. After all Gildarts might already be beyond his prime and he's pretty much half a machine.
Laxus, on the other hand, is just beast. Gajeel and Natsu came nowhere near to actually beating him back when he was their enemy. Laxus kind of ended the fight when he noticed that those are not his enemies (after using Fairy Law). Since then he did not only single handlely defeat a whole guild, he won against the #5 Wizard Saint Jura and one shot Tempest. And then Mashima did what he always does. He takes out those who are too strong with some plot devices in every arc. Gajeel even stated once that when he attacked Fairy Tail with his former guild it would have been desasterous if Laxus and his Raijinshuu were there at that time. When Laxus attacked Fairy Tail it was the same with Makarov's illness to not give Laxus an equal opponent. Gildarts basically had a single fight during the whole manga (on screen). And there is no way Laxus didn't also work on improving in the last year. He might indeed be a candidate for guild master in the new formed Fairy Tail. Natsu with Dragon Force and Lightning Dragon Mode might be extremely powerful.

As a result I would opt for Natsu & Erza or Natsu & Laxus. Those two are stronger than Gray if the fight is not against a demon. In any of those fights Gray will snowball and probably is the strongest FT member at the moment.

Supa Hot Fire

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Im laughing , you seriously guys are thinking that Grey and Natsu or Erza and mira are the best duo ?
The best one , and the strongest one is Gildartz and Laxus, they dont even need teamwork to whipe the floor XD
In one hand Gildartz has titan power, strongest fairy tail and maybe Ishgar , in other hand Laxus who is the second strongest and on the level of Gildartz , Hades said this back then : ( and dont tell me that on the manga , Hades didnt said this, all what is on the anime passe by approbation of Mashima )
Laxus is a beast, he need just one punch to knock out Tempesta, and dont need a power up like grey did , Mashima hide Laxus and Gildarts on Tartarus arc , because they were too strong :D

shinsengumi

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
well actually it should be makarov and gildartz but im trying to make it fun by not just adding power levels together but thinking of powers that would suit each other and create a combo

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
In just the guild, Natsu + Gildarts. Possibly Natsu + Laxus.

In the entire series, Igneel + Acnologia. If they worked together, they would be unstoppable.

Supa Hot Fire

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Having a good teamwork is not necessary, Sting and Rogue are synchronized but got whiped by Natsu so XD
Laxus/Gildarts are strongest duo by far ! They dont need Teamwork two beasts !