Game Fan League Discussion Thread

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I didn't expect them to be generic, but to have more tricks instead, so I would had gone for that route.
Like what, for instance?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Keigo Atobe [25, SB: 2, HP: 9, AR, R]
(SPE: 4, POW: 4, STA: 5, MEN: 5, TEC: 7)

King [Reserve/Auto]:
Negated if Energy is 0. Opposing team's Coach is negated. When Mental is 0 for the first time, Mental permanently increases by 5 and cannot decrease from that point onwards.

Evolution [Auto]:
During decisive points, Mental and Technique increase by the number of losses this season (max. 2 and 1 respectively).

Ice Emperor [Serve - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 4. If opponent's Mental is less than 6, their Speed decreases by 3.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Speed is less than 4.

Synchronization [Special ‒ Lv 3]:
Activation: Only activates with Atobe activating Synchronization as partner. Cannot be negated.
Data: Mental increases by 2. Support Bonus increases by 2.
Extra: When checked by a Special, Speed returns at +1.

Fugue Towards Despair [Special - Lv 4 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 3, Technique increases by 2.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Technique is less than 8.

Atobe Kingdom [Special - Lv 4 - 1 STA]:
Activation: Cannot be copied. Opponent's Serves/Specials with Lv <= 4 are negated.
Data: Mental increases by 3, Technique increases by 2.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's HP is less than 10.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Randy Pug [27, SB: 3, HP: 12, AB, R]
(SPE: 5, POW: 7, STA: 5, MEN: 5, TEC: 5)

The Pug [Auto]:
HP decreases at 200%. Whenever HP decreases, Power permanently increases by 1.

Riding the Wave [Special - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Data: Opponent's Power does not increase through Serves/Specials. If an increase was prevented this way, Power increases by that Serve/Special's Lv.
Extra: ACE if [Power / 2] is higher than every opponent's Power.

Pug Bomb [Special - Lv 6 - 1 STA]:
Activation: After activation, HP decreases by 3.
Data: Power increases by 8.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Power is less than 8.

Beach Bullies [Formation]:
Only activates if partner's Power is 8 or higher. Both partners' Mental increases by 0.5. During decisive points, both partners' Mental increases by 1.5 instead. If an opponent's Mental is 5 or less, that opponent's Serves/Specials with Lv <= 5 are negated.

I had to redo this one after finding a better frame of reference. Wasn't a big fan of having to scrap the previous build, but ultimately this one turned out alright too I think.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Draco Amadeus [29, SB: 1, HP: 8, AR, L]
(SPE: 7, POW: 2, STA: 6, MEN: 7, TEC: 7)

Charisma of the Swiss [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. If Mental is equal to or exceeds any opponent's Mental, SB increases by 3. Opponent's Serves/Specials with Lv <= 5 are negated. Extra of opponent's Serves/Specials with Lv >= 6 is negated. If an Extra is negated this way, Mental permanently decreases by 1.

Switching Gears [Counter]:
Triggers after losing a point for the first time. Mental permanently increases by 1. For the rest of the match, when checked, Speed returns at +2.

Darkness [Special - Lv 6 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Mental increases by 1. If Mental is higher than opponent's Mental (Doubles: opponent with lower base total), that opponent's Speed decreases by the difference in Mental.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Speed is 0. If ACE, HP of opponent with lower base total decreases by [Mental].

Eh. Open to suggestions.

EDIT: I'm leaving the Amadeus one here, but basically ignore it; I'm redoing it.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Amadeus [29, SB: 1, HP: 8, AR, L]
(SPE: 7, POW: 2, STA: 6, MEN: 7, TEC: 7)

Charisma of the Swiss [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Opponent's Speed increases at -2. Opponent's Technique increases at -2. When checked, Power returns at +[Mental].

Inherited Goal [Auto]:
During decisive points, opponent's Speed/Technique increase at -4 through Charisma of the Swiss. At the end of the Data step, if opponent's total exceeds total (doubles: pairs' totals), Speed increases by 1, Mental increases by 1 and opponent's Speed decreases by 1. At the end of the point, if stats increased this way, Stamina decreases by 0.5.

That Man's Shadow [Counter]:
Triggers if opponent is Byoudouin or activates a Serve/Special with Glowing in its name. Mental permanently increases by 1. When Darkness' ACE effect is activated successfully, HP of opponent with lower base total decreases by [Mental].

Darkness [Special - Lv 6 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Mental increases by 1. If Mental is higher than opponent's Mental (Doubles: opponent with lower base total), that opponent's Speed decreases by the difference in Mental. Opponent's Power increases at -[Mental].
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Speed is 0.

@Hardy thoughts?
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,100
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Looks fun, although now that I look at it how useful would Darkness be against anyone that isn't way under his league or absurdly slow?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also that 2 in power looks cool but I think there is no way he has a stat that low (especially Power, even though I do understand where you are coming with it).
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Looks fun, although now that I look at it how useful would Darkness be against anyone that isn't way under his league or absurdly slow?
Yeah, not very. I'm not sure how useful it should be though. I just can't see someone like Volk getting hit in the face with it, so at most it feels like it'd give him that small edge in an otherwise even rally.

For what it's worth, he has a good set of defensive skills to prevent the opponent from boosting much either.

Also that 2 in power looks cool but I think there is no way he has a stat that low (especially Power, even though I do understand where you are coming with it).
To be honest, I can't think of a balanced spread for him that I'd be satisfied with. I did mean to boost up his SB though with what the other version had.
 

Seakay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hardy said:
@Seakay as it's been a while since you popped in here, and we've spammed a bit (...sorry I might had overdone it) here is everything you could had missed in case you are bored at work one day or something
I'm still around, just been busy lately. I'll look over all the new stuff in a bit. Tbh, I don't remember a lot of these minor characters from the original PoT that well.

Kaoz said:
At this rate we can do a low tier mini-season or something.
That is probably the best solution if we did want to use them I think. For a normal season with eight players and the energy system, 12 or 13 characters seemed the ideal cutoff. So any additional characters past 105 would probably be benched the entire season, right? Unless the lower end characters were given some niche or specialty though, like what was done with some last season: Yuuta, the Comedy Pair, etc.

Hmm, wonder if it's possible for players to draft a HS and MS team, then do something similar to the WC in terms of having a minimum count of each. That could have players look at some the MSers more highly then perhaps.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hmm, wonder if it's possible for players to draft a HS and MS team, then do something similar to the WC in terms of having a minimum count of each. That could have players look at some the MSers more highly then perhaps.
That's actually exactly what I've been planning on doing. I was thinking that it would also balance out the draft order a bit more (not that it's bad right now) by doing the HS draft from player 1 to player 8, but the MS draft from player 8 to player 1.
 

Seakay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was originally thinking players would form their HS and MS teams in one draft but have a maximum cutoff of 6 or 7 per team. That's pretty similar to what we've been doing in previous seasons, with the odd exception of like one or two teams that were mostly HSers.

Separating the process into two smaller drafts might make it more interesting though. If the HS draft is held first, then the MS draft could be shaken up by some MSers being valued higher based on synergy with the HSers. Time wise, it's just splitting the normal draft period in halves, so that's not a concern. Holding both drafts simultaneously might be too chaotic though.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Holding both drafts simultaneously might be too chaotic though.
You think so? It'd just be "pick 1 MSer and 1 HSer" in each round besides the first and last.

But we could do them one after the other too, I don't have a problem with that.
 

Seakay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kaoz said:
You think so? It'd just be "pick 1 MSer and 1 HSer" in each round besides the first and last.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding then, but if the HS draft is 1>8 and the MS draft is 8>1, then there’s two different drafting orders, so you won’t pick a MSer and HSer together during a round.

HS: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 8 > 7 . . .
MS: 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 1 > 2 . . .
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Maybe I’m misunderstanding then, but if the HS draft is 1>8 and the MS draft is 8>1, then there’s two different drafting orders, so you won’t pick a MSer and HSer together during a round.

HS: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 8 > 7 . . .
MS: 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 1 > 2 . . .
Nah, you'd do it like this:

R1 (1 HS only): 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> ... -> 8
R2 (1 HS + 1 MS): 8 -> 7 -> 6 -> ... -> 1
...
repeat R2 like a normal snake draft
...
Final Round (1 MS only)
 

Seakay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh, that makes more sense and should work fine. The draft should be finished quite earlier too.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
First looking at the characters Kaoz posted in and since Hardy's big compilation post, since I’m more familiar with them. Most of them are fine but I’ll still say something.

@Hardy - I’ll get to your characters next.

Fuji - I know the limit is six abilities and, while this works, there’s also a lot of complexity in Fuji: for both his coach in planning out his potential options and also the opponent in predicting how to counter him. Some complexity is fine but I’d be wary against making too many characters as intricate as Fuji is. On another note, maybe New Guidepost could also require a loss in order to use, to go along with Fuji evolving after a defeat.

Siegfried - He’s fine, similar to Mouri with Habit Exploitation, which was a skill I always liked. Has there been any more decisions about the leveling system? Just wondering how impactful Rivalry would be for Siegfried - is 25 the right number?

Evangelus - I take it that Combination Bonus is just a renamed Support Bonus to separate it from Support Level. Evangelus seems a good Doubles player, especially with that speed decrease being doubled.

Apollon & Orion - I think Friss managed to have them reach Synchronization last season, but only because of Rhinehart. Was there ever discussion of making Synchronization easier to reach for some characters, like the Stephanolpouloses?

Hewitt - He’s good and with the right partner, COME ON!! does work well in Doubles, especially if you can reliably break the opponent’s serve.

McGregor & Millman - Should make a good Doubles pair, enough Stamina to use Tachyon four times during a match. Was Millman always supposed to mirror Ochi’s abilities?

Crawford - An interesting mix of abilities. Is there much difference in negating ACE effects as opposed to Extra effects?

Fitzgerald & Hopman - Looks like they’re pretty similar to last season but having a choice between two formations is good.

I. Sung - I’ll agree with Hardy in being too concerned with the generic skills. Maybe just have a special that cares about the opponent’s Mental? If it gets boosted too high through Cursed Song, what does that represent I guess?

Atobe - I do like condensing his negating abilities down into one move, gives him some room to do other things with Fugue and Ice Emperor. Good decision.

Randy - I assume Albert can trigger Beach Bullies somewhat reliably, so I wonder how many other characters could also do so. Has there been talk of having formations use the Activation, Data, and Extra set-up that specials/serves have? I know that formations occur earlier but most have similar effects anyway.

Amadeus - How about having him care about an opponent’s affiliation?

Against the Rising Sun [Counter]
Triggers if any opponent’s affiliation is Japanese, Mental permanently increases by 1. If opponent is Byodouin, Mental permanently increases by 2 instead. When Darkness' ACE effect is activated successfully, HP of opponent with lower base total decreases by [Mental].

Name sort of fits and keeps with the Darkness theme. Maybe lower his base mental to 6 though to compensate. The +2 Mental boost could care about any opponent who uses Glowing Destruction, if just caring about Byodoin is too narrow.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Some complexity is fine but I’d be wary against making too many characters as intricate as Fuji is. On another note, maybe New Guidepost could also require a loss in order to use, to go along with Fuji evolving after a defeat.
I definitely agree that Fuji is a special case in this regard. I'm less on board with your Guidepost suggestion, simply because it's something that already factually happened in the series and it'd be kinda like making Wonder Castle a Lv up move for Marui instead of giving it to him straight away. It's true that evolving is pretty significant for Fuji, but that's why I added Obsessed with Victory.

Has there been any more decisions about the leveling system? Just wondering how impactful Rivalry would be for Siegfried - is 25 the right number?
I haven't done anything level related in a while. However, I strongly favor 100 experience as a set threshold for each level up (meaning only the amount of experience earned varies), so 25 would be a quarter of a level.

Evangelus - I take it that Combination Bonus is just a renamed Support Bonus to separate it from Support Level.
Yes.

Apollon & Orion - I think Friss managed to have them reach Synchronization last season, but only because of Rhinehart. Was there ever discussion of making Synchronization easier to reach for some characters, like the Stephanolpouloses?
Probably at some point, but not recently I guess. Hardy suggested some additional stipulations to simulate the high-pressure situation, but I don't have time to dig that post up right now.

In a way they already have an easier time by starting at a higher support level though, no? Although it's still not easy, that's true. We could lower the number of matches required to go from 3 to S, especially with the extra requirement that might be feasible.

McGregor & Millman - Should make a good Doubles pair, enough Stamina to use Tachyon four times during a match. Was Millman always supposed to mirror Ochi’s abilities?
Yes, Tachyon was supposed to be similar to Mach. It's a bit difficult to determine how fast it's supposed to be exactly, but all things considered, putting the boost in-between Mach's 60% and 100% seemed best to me.

Crawford - An interesting mix of abilities. Is there much difference in negating ACE effects as opposed to Extra effects?
No, 99% of the time it amounts to the same thing. The latter is a little broader, but I couldn't tell you how many players it actually affects without reviewing everyone.

I. Sung - I’ll agree with Hardy in being too concerned with the generic skills. Maybe just have a special that cares about the opponent’s Mental? If it gets boosted too high through Cursed Song, what does that represent I guess?
I believe @Hardy actually changed his mind on that, if he wants to weigh in on the discussion again. I guess you mean something like: "If opponent's Mental increases by 4 or more through Cursed Song, X happens"?

Randy - I assume Albert can trigger Beach Bullies somewhat reliably, so I wonder how many other characters could also do so. Has there been talk of having formations use the Activation, Data, and Extra set-up that specials/serves have?
At the start it's pretty much only Albert and Duke I think. But if you get a character that gains Power through levels, the player pool would increase.

Amadeus - How about having him care about an opponent’s affiliation?

Against the Rising Sun [Counter]
Triggers if any opponent’s affiliation is Japanese, Mental permanently increases by 1. If opponent is Byodouin, Mental permanently increases by 2 instead. When Darkness' ACE effect is activated successfully, HP of opponent with lower base total decreases by [Mental].

Name sort of fits and keeps with the Darkness theme. Maybe lower his base mental to 6 though to compensate.
Is there any particular basis for why he'd care about his opponent being Japanese?

It's interesting though that you bring up lowering his Mental, because I was actually thinking about lowering his Mental in general (with a "When checked, Mental returns at +5" skill). It'd make some sense with what I put at the end of this post I think. But in a more practical sense it'd balance out the Speed decrease from Darkness. Sure, Darkness would still drop both opponents' Speed in doubles, but with low Mental, his pair's doubles bonus would be significantly lower too, making it a less attractive option overall.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,100
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Yeah, as "simple" as it is I changed my opinion but I prolly said it on discord.

Basically I can see everyone in Aramenoma being common players, they just happenned to also know how to curse their opponents. Nothing seems to point that it's not the case (unless you want to argue they have a playstyle based on their weird clothing and masks?).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Is there any particular basis for why he'd care about his opponent being Japanese?
He's a very discreet racist '-'
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Amadeus [29, SB: 3, HP: 12, AR, L]
(SPE: 7, POW: 6, STA: 6, MEN: 2, TEC: 7)

Charisma of the Swiss [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Mental cannot decrease through opponent's abilities. When checked, Mental returns at +7. ACE effects of opponent's Serves/Specials with Lv <= 4 are negated.

Inherited Goal [Auto]:
Whenever an opponent activates a Serve/Special for the second time or more, that Serve/Special's Lv decreases by 1. At the end of the Data step, if opponent's total exceeds total (doubles: pairs' totals), Speed increases by 1, Technique increases by 1 and opponent's Speed decreases by 1. At the end of the point, if stats increased this way, Stamina decreases by 0.5.

That Man's Shadow [Counter]:
Triggers if opponent is Byoudouin or activates a Serve/Special with Glowing in its name. Mental permanently increases by 1. When Darkness' ACE effect is activated successfully, HP of opponent with lower base total decreases by 7.

Darkness [Special - Lv 6 - 0.5 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by 3. Mental decreases to 0. Opponent's Speed decreases by [Decrease x 2].
Extra: ACE if any opponent's Speed is 0.
 

Seakay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kaoz said:
I haven't done anything level related in a while. However, I strongly favor 100 experience as a set threshold for each level up (meaning only the amount of experience earned varies), so 25 would be a quarter of a level.
Oh, I agree 100 experience is a good cap for each level. I was just curious, since the leveling system will be the biggest change to the fan league imo.

Kaoz said:
In a way they already have an easier time by starting at a higher support level though, no? Although it's still not easy, that's true. We could lower the number of matches required to go from 3 to S, especially with the extra requirement that might be feasible.
I wouldn’t be opposed to lowering required matches to get to S from 4 down to 3. It allows the player an extra round during the group stage to use synchronization, which might make it more appealing to get a Level 3 pair up there then. Also allows a Level 2 pair to reach synchronization for the finals too.

Kaoz said:
I guess you mean something like: "If opponent's Mental increases by 4 or more through Cursed Song, X happens"?
Something like that, yeah. I guess it would keep in theme with their other abilities instead of just having generic skills. But if Hardy changed his opinion, I guess it’s fine.

Another option to differentiate them might be to use that condition as a check in their generic abilities.

Cursed Serve [Serve ‒ Lv 3 – 1 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by 4. If an opponent's Mental increases by 4 or more through Cursed Song, Technique increases by 6 instead.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Technique is less than 7.

I’m thinking just a minor stat boost but maybe +2 instead of +1, since the opponent already was boosted through Cursed Song. Cursed Rising and Cursed Smash could be options too.

Kaoz said:
Is there any particular basis for why he'd care about his opponent being Japanese?
Umm, I figured he had a grudge against Byoudouin and was willing to take it out on whoever he played from Team Japan, I guess?

Amadeus 5.0 is better though, especially because Darkness does something interesting now. In Doubles, Darkness should also decreases the Combination Bonus of Amadeus and his partner, right? Probably offset by Darkness lowering two opponents and the possibility of Amadeus’s partner boosting his Mental stat.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Another option to differentiate them might be to use that condition as a check in their generic abilities.
I kinda like this idea, I'll be sure to give it some more thought.

In Doubles, Darkness should also decreases the Combination Bonus of Amadeus and his partner, right? Probably offset by Darkness lowering two opponents and the possibility of Amadeus’s partner boosting his Mental stat.
Yes, exactly. You get the benefit of having two targets, but don't count on Amadeus contributing a lot to your pair's total.

Also, in another one of these seemingly never-ending cycles, I redid Niou:

Masaharu Niou [18, SB: 1, HP: 5, AR, L]
(SPE: 3, POW: 2, STA: 3, MEN: 5, TEC: 5)

Illusion [Auto]:
Copy up to one character each point, including their name, playstyle, dominant hand, supports, Autos and Counters (if trigger conditions are fulfilled). Copy up to one of that character's Formations and up to one of that character's Serves/Specials with Lv <= 3. At the end of each point a character was copied this way, Stamina decreases by 0.25.

Trickster's Vision [Auto]:
Only activates when not activating a Serve/Special (except Synchronization). Opponent's Speed decreases by 1. Opponent's Speed increases at -1. When checked, Speed returns at +1. If Support Lv is 3 or higher, when checked by an ACE effect, opponent's Speed returns at -1.

Tezuka's Spirit [Auto]:
Only activates in doubles. During decisive points, Mental increases by 1. If Stamina would decrease to 0 for the first time, it decreases to 1 instead. If HP would decrease to 0 for the first time, it decreases to 1 instead.

Zero Rebound Serve [Serve - Lv 6 - 1 STA]:
Activation: After activation, HP decreases by 5.
Data: Technique increases by 8.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's combined Speed, Mental and Technique is less than 18. If this ACE effect does not activate successfully, opponent's Technique is halved.

Trick Play [Special - Lv 1 - 0 STA]:
Activation: Negated if any opponent's Mental exceeds Mental. Cannot be negated otherwise.
Data: Opponent's Mental decreases by 1. If Mental exceeds an opponent's Mental, that opponent's Speed decreases by 1, that opponent's Technique decreases by 1.
Extra: ACE if Mental is equal to or exceeds every opponent's combined Speed and Mental.

Tezuka's Phantom [Special - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Data: Technique increases by 6.
Extra: Every opponent's Technique is doubled. ACE if Technique exceeds every opponent's Technique.

I guess most notably in some sense, Illusion cost is only half of what it was last season. I feel this is giving his stamina a bit too much credit, but at the same time I understand it makes using him a lot more fun when there's some leniency in this regard. I also want to make it clear that there won't be .25 intervals elsewhere - this is an exception.

The other thing I want to discuss is his base Power. I reverted it back to 2 for now, but I don't have a strong opinion on this either way. If you guys think he should keep the 3.5 I'll up it again.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I had a bad idea today, but I'm also tempted to go through with it:

Lucky Sengoku [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Only activates in singles. At the end of a point, if total is lower than opponent's total, wins point [50 + 2 x (base total - opponent's base total)]% of the time.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,100
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh that's pretty bad, wouldn't go with it.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh that's pretty bad, wouldn't go with it.
Well, the question is basically if we're ok with this one luck based ability for the guy who is all about getting lucky.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,100
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Well, the question is basically if we're ok with this one luck based ability for the guy who is all about getting lucky.
I think it goes against the nature of the game.

Also :hurr
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Polemical stuff:

Takahisa Kajimoto [15, SB: 2, HP: 7, SV, L]
(SPE: 2, POW: 4, STA: 3, MEN: 3, TEC: 3)

Stubborn [Auto]:
Negated after losing a point. Stats can only be affected through Specials.

Overconfidence Punisher [Auto]:
After losing three points, if Mental is higher than opponent's Mental, Stats increase at 200 % for the rest of the match.

-

L-Drill Serve [Serve ‒ Lv 3]:
Activation: Cannot be copied.
Data: Power increases by 3. Speed increases by 1.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 7.

Youhei Tanaka [12, SB: 0, HP: 4, CP, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 2, STA: 2, MEN: 3, TEC: 2)

Twins [Auto]:
Only activates with Tanaka as partner or opponent. If Tanaka is the partner, Stamina decreases at 50% and Mental cannot decrease. If Tanaka is the opponent, Total becomes 0.

Unit [Auto]:
Only activates with Tanaka as partner or opponent. Negated if either Tanaka activates Synchro. When checked by a Special, Speed returns at +1.

Superior Senses [Auto]:
Opponent's Speed increases at -1, opponent's Power increases at -1. When checked, Speed returns at +1.

Kouhei Tanaka [12, SB: 0, HP: 4, CP, L]
(SPE: 3, POW: 2, STA: 2, MEN: 3, TEC: 2)

Twins [Auto]:
Only activates with Tanaka as partner or opponent. If Tanaka is the partner, Stamina decreases at 50% and Mental cannot decrease. If Tanaka is the opponent, Total becomes 0.

Unit [Auto]:
Only activates with Tanaka as partner or opponent. Negated if either Tanaka activates Synchro. Support Bonus increases by 1. When checked by a Special, Speed returns at +1.

Superior Senses [Auto]:
Opponent's Speed increases at -1, opponent's Power increases at -1. When checked, Speed returns at +1.

Phil Ermann [23, SB: 2, HP: 10, AR, R]
(SPE: 5, POW: 6, STA: 4, MEN: 3, TEC: 5)

Ambidextrous [Auto]: Cannot be negated. Before the start of the match, select a main hand (R by default). Speed returns at +1.

BANANAS [Auto]: Cannot be negated. Cannot be copied. At the start of the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th game, if Stamina < 4, it increases by 1.

Samurai Eye [Auto]: Can use Muga. During decisive points, Mental increases by 2.

Boxing Stance [Counter]: Negated if Stamina = 0, cannot be negated otherwise. Activates if HP or partner's HP decrease, opponent's HP decreases by the same amount. At the end of the point, Stamina decreases by 1.

-

Phantom Ball [Special - Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Activation: In singles, if opponent's main hand isn't the same as the character's: Special's level increases by 3, it activates at 200 % and Extra becomes [ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 12.]
Data: Power increases by 2, Technique increases by 2.
Extra: ACE if any opponent's combined Speed and Mental is less than 8.

Cyclone Smash [Special - Lv 5 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 7.
Extra: ACE if every individual opponent's combined Speed, Power and Technique is less than 14. If ACE and an opponent's Speed is less than 5, that opponent's HP decreases by 6.

-

Tango Pair [Formation]:
Cannot activate Specials. Negated if either player's Stamina = 0, cannot be negated otherwise. Mental increases by 1. Partner's Mental increases by 1. If partner activates Swift like the Wind, it activates at 200 % as a level 4 Special, Power increases by 3, Technique increases by 2. If partner activates Fugue Towards Despair, Speed increases by 8. Ace if either opponent's Speed or Technique is less than 5. At the end of the point, Stamina decreases by 1.

More incoming '-'
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Daichi Kiriyama [12, SB: 1, HP: 8, AB, R]
(SPE: 1, POW: 5, STA: 3, MEN: 1, TEC: 2)

Body Manager [Auto]:
Cannot be negated. Cannot be copied. Power cannot decrease.

Brain Muscle [Auto]:
Cannot be negated. Cannot be copied. Once Mental becomes 0, every time it would decrease, increase Power instead.

-

Cannon Volley [Special ‒ Lv 2]:
Data: Power increases by 3.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Power is less than 3. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by 1.

Shou Outa [12, SB: 0, HP: 5, SV, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 2, STA: 3, MEN: 2, TEC: 2)

Small Frame [Auto]:
Cannot be negated. Cannot be copied. When checked by ACE effects, Speed returns at 200 %.

-

Thunderbolt Smash [Special ‒ Lv 2]:
Activation: Can only be activated through Human Catapult.
Data: Power increases by 3. Technique increases by 1.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Speed is less than 3 [4 if partner activates a Special in the same point].

-

Human Catapult [Formation]:
Cannot be copied. Negated if partner's Power is lower than 5, cannot be negated otherwise. If opponent activated a negation effect, Speed returns at +3. Activate Thunderbolt Smash.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Reiji Shinjou [15, SB: 1, HP: 7, AB, R]
(SPE: 2, POW: 4, STA: 3, MEN: 2, TEC: 4)

Perfect Masterpiece [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Cannot be negated. Stats return at +1. Power and Technique increase at 200 % through level ups.

-

Mirage [Special ‒ Lv 2 - 0.5 STA]:
Activation: Counts as a Serve.
Data: Speed increases by 2. SB increases by 1.
Extra: ACE if every opponent's Speed is less than 4.

Deep Impulse [Special ‒ Lv 3 - 1 STA]:
Data: Power increases by 4.
Extra: ACE if combined Power and Technique are higher than every opponent's combined Speed, Power and Technique. If ACE, opponent's HP decreases by 2 + [Times Deep Impulse was used before].
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Hiroshi Wakato [14, SB: 1, HP: 5, AR, R]
(SPE: 3, POW: 2, STA: 3, MEN: 2, TEC: 4)

Idol's Fanclub [Auto/Reserve]:
Cannot be copied. Cannot be negated. Team's Mental increases at +1.

Style of the Pretender [Auto]:
Cannot be copied. Cannot be negated. Copy up to one character from the opponent's team each point (or Hewitt, McGregor, Federer or Kaido), including their playstyle, Autos and Counters (if trigger conditions are fulfilled). Copy up to one of that character's Formations and up to one of that character's Serves/Specials with Lv <= 3. When playing against the copied character, Mental increases by 1, and if said character is ACEd by its own move, its Mental permanently decreases by 1.

Change Over! [Counter]:
Triggers in the first point or whenever the player copied in the current point is different from the one copied the point before. Mental increases by 1. If opponent is ACEd, its Mental permanently decreases by 1.
 

Seakay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moving onto Hardy’s characters next and of course he added a batch of people I didn’t recognize at first. But tbh, I still had/have trouble remembering their role in the story but thankfully the wiki helps with that.

Overall, I think most of the characters are fine. Their stats total usually between 12 and 16, so they’d be drafted quite late in a normal season. In that case, I don’t mind the characters having more creative or slightly stronger abilities (on average) to somewhat compensate for a low base total.

If there truly was a low tier mini-season, I’m not quite sure on the exact strength of the characters compared to the rest of the draft pool. Probably wouldn't be worried too much, since all the characters would probably be closer to even than not.

Atsuhi Kisarazu – He’s a good example of what I meant by creative abilities, since without his twin, he’s average with that low stamina. However, drafting his twin makes him quite better, making later draft rounds important. I like it when weaker characters have a niche/ability/partner that makes up for their stats. For Kisarazu, it’s the possibility of a twin pair mixing up Sky Volley specials during doubles.

Yanagisawa – Is Taunt supposed to be an Auto or a Counter? I understand what “That could cause harm” means but in more technical terms, would it just mainly refer to ACE effects that lower HP?

Akazawa – Furious Shout seems a Counter and could probably temp boost his partner’s Mental by 1 too. Should Blurry Ball be a Counter too? Seems like it could be a Special also though.

Kaneda – Really wants to partner with Akazawa.

Nomura – I wish Kadowaki had that Auto last season…

Ryo Kisarazu – He works well with his twin, especially during late decisive points when Clutch and Blade Racket Threat activate.

Amane – I actually considered drafting him last season to pair with Byodoin or Ryoga. Pun Destroyer makes the Spirit specials more likely to ACE and KO. Good example of how some more creative abilities could be used.

Kurobane – Can Hammer Racket Smack trigger consecutively, like if Kurobane and his partner start off 0-3? Would Wake-up Call trigger twice then too, on the third and fourth point?

Aoi – I feel that Heart Racket Love tries to do too much for one ability. I’m not sure what “in the same court” actually means, in context of the fan league. Is it when An, Sakuno or Konjinki are on either your or the opponent’s team, even if they aren’t playing? Either way, I’d make the “same court” effects their own separate Auto.

Saeki - “Immune to Blurry Ball’s effects against Motion Vision” is quite a narrow clause but probably fine. I do like how Vanguard Sealer cares about an opponent’s play style. I feel that play style and dominant hand are some traits that could be used in some more abilities, since they’re not too important right now anyway.

Itsuki – Simple Minded could be really good in some cases. Can we just rename Wind Racket Blow as “Second Most Lucky Itsuki?”

Shudo – He’s interesting with one of the most unique skillsets. If “What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger” isn’t limited to once per season(?), then getting him KOed multiple times makes him quite strong.

Sakurai – How good would multiple “1 match less” abilities be, if they’re allowed to stack? I think “Fudomine's Doubles Specialist” could be an Auto/Reserve ability too.

Ishida – Waterfall Training is an interesting work around to having his Stamina decrease at a %.

Uchimura – Nobuteru has a fan club.

Mori – Fan club member #2.

Nitobe – Energy value is another variable that I like to be explored. Should “12th Minute Synchronization” just trigger automatically during decisive points instead?

Kita – I only remembered him because of his cheeks.

Muromachi – Who knows his true strength? If the season format is S3/D2/S2/D1/S1, I could see getting him to play D1 with a strong partner for a +6 total boost from “The next in line.” That’s probably fine, considering his lower stats.

Taichi – He’s doing a lot with low stats, which is fine. He’s like Kadowaki but better(!)with boosting Akutsu while being in reserve. Also having Data Tennis means he works well with other characters too, so he has a lot of utility but little power, at least to start with.

Arai – I feel that he should learn Jack Knife and maybe Black Jack Knife as he levels up then.

Horio – Two Years of Tennis Experience should care about how many seasons a coach or character has participated in. Not sure what exactly though. Support Trio seems real strong if active and that’s why you’re drafting him for anyway, right?

Koishikawa – “I'm Always Hardy Cause I Eats Me Parsley” does ‘team’ just refer to himself and his partner? And I recognize a namedrop when I see one.

Taki – He can do some neat things with Yushi, depending on what the boost from 1000 Techniques is.

Kuki – I feel that he should do something with Amane. Pun Destroyer and Tongue Twister Champion is a real life winning combination any day.

Urayama – The Horio coach should be able to draft Urayama too, so I guess the question of Support Trio depends on if/when the Akutsu coach drafts Taichi.

Nobuteru – He’s a Rockstar!

Haruhata – Fan club member #3. A decent D2 pair too with the dual Mental decrease abilities.

Kajimoto – Should “Overconfidence Punisher” be a Counter that only triggers once? He could grow quite strong otherwise.

Youhei – Since he doesn’t start with synchro, I assume the Tanakas are Level 3 . . .

Kouhei – . . .but the question is would be getting them to Synchro be worth the hassle?.

What’s with twins (Mutsus, Kisarazus, and the Tanakas) working so well together in PoT anyway?

Mr. Jr. Senbatsu – Who’s he supposed to be? Obviously related to the training camp but I’m missing some reference. But the limit is technically 6 abilities, so he has to lose 1 somewhere. Maybe combine Ambidextrous and Phantom Ball somehow.

Kiriyima – Should Brain Muscle increase Power permanently for the match?

Outa – Is it legal to throw your partner up in tennis to hit a smash? I really want Human Catapult or Thunderbolt Smash to care about the partner’s Power more. Like the higher the power, the higher up Outa is for a better vantage to hit the smash. Imagine Duke rocketing Outa upwards.

Shinjou – Is there a real point in Mirage caring about being a Serve? A Special isn’t limited to service points, so I think Mirage should do something extra on service points then. Perhaps interact with Deep Impulse somehow?

Wakato – Seems real good. A global team Mental boost is nothing to scoff at and having another copier (even if not quite Niou) always is a good draft choice because of the potential combinations.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,100
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Holy shit I love you, that's a nice and elaborated answer.
Usually "permanently" means for the rest of the match, I think (unless stated it's for the rest of the season), whereas a simple increase is just for the point.

In a lot of cases I wasn't sure if counter or auto felt better. In Yanagisawa's case, him taunting would make him "more punchable" (which is how he lost his match).

I don't think Furious shout should raise a partner's Mental. In the chapters, he just screamed like an idiot to clear his head (I imagine that, if he did the same to his partner, it would have negative effects instead). Games usually have Blurry Ball as a Special, but tbh he hit them the entire match so I don't teally agree. The Special I gave him turns into a mini Abare Dama with Blurry Ball active.

Be aware that Amane and Bane's stats are switched since the last season. I think Bane's autos could be used more than once but if it would be OP (which is prolly the case) then it can be nerfed to only one.

The racket skills are based on the special rackets they wanted Ojii to make them (So Itsuki's name remains!). Saeki's is lame as shit so the skill is also lame '-' Heart Racket got a bit too complicated, yeah, but it could be just thr way I write. In the same court means that is a partner or playing against.

Shudo stacks with more deaths. Sakurai stacks with Rein. I wouldn't make it a reserve skill though, but I'm just affraid of it being strong.

Arai learning skills from Momo would be neat! Horio's recommendation sounds fun but I don't think some people should have advantage over other players, so I wouldn't go with that option.

Koishikawa's wasn't a namedrop I just needed a "strong" word to rhyme with Parsley :x

Lmao didn't think on that for Kuki.

I don't think Kajimoto could grow too strong tbh, but then again I didn't put hours of thought into it.

Mr. Jr. Senbatsu is all the Kanto selection filler in one character. Phil Ermann (Filler Man '-' ). Thought of him being Kevin Smith (the spread is based on him and Kirihara with Ryoma's total) instead but him eating Bananas and Tango Pairing didn't sound well.

Kiriyima's could be a permanent increase, yeah. And I really like your idea for Outa, would be interesting to see what a homerunned person could do in the air :p

At first I had Wakato not being able to copy serves (to avoid him copying the other Singles in Josei) so I had written Shinjou's skills as serves. But then I changed that cause it made no sense, lol, you can ignore it.
 
Top