Frostyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What made you drop it?
The pace was really slow through about the first 30 chapters, the acquisition of team members was overly, overly, overly shouneny, and scans were so slow and inconsistent for a long time. It's sped up since then, but I haven't gotten back to reading it.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
We're never going to agree on the first part.

On the Berserk part, have you ever read it? The series just devolves into monster slaughter. It once had a story, but that sort of vanished.
You're so hip

It was among my first manga. In fact, I used to be the mod of the section as a green. You're over-simplifying here. Just because the Golden Age arc ended and we were brought back to present time, doesn't mean the story vanished. The story starts with an abused, cursed orphan meeting people and finally finding a place in the world and people to care and love for. All of that is gone in a blink of the eye, mostly due to his and the person closest to him's actions. When the flashback ends, you see him back to what he was before he met the Band of the Hawk. After that it's a constant struggle within himself. A struggle to maintain his humanity, and the realization that he can't go through life alone. So he slowly learns that step by step, learning to love and care for others again, and finding something to fight for, he's redeemed...but at a pretty severe price. But I won't spoil that for you. His journey, once you get past the awesome monsters and mystical things, is actually quite simple and beautiful. Is revenge really worth it? What's the price of that vindication? There's so much more to it than the gore, but...whatever. The world changed after the events of the Eclipse, so there's a lot more monsters too.

That's not the point. Tennis makes for a better manga than basketball does.
Basketball manga are probably just as popular as Soccer and even Baseball manga...Tennis isn't even close in that regard. This isn't necessarily quantity over quality though. Have you read Basketball manga? Or other Tennis manga? I'm not a huge sports manga fan, but Eyeshield 21 was pretty amazing.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You're so hip

It was among my first manga. In fact, I used to be the mod of the section as a green. You're over-simplifying here. Just because the Golden Age arc ended and we were brought back to present time, doesn't mean the story vanished. The story starts with an abused, cursed orphan meeting people and finally finding a place in the world and people to care and love for. All of that is gone in a blink of the eye, mostly due to his and the person closest to him's actions. When the flashback ends, you see him back to what he was before he met the Band of the Hawk. After that it's a constant struggle within himself. A struggle to maintain his humanity, and the realization that he can't go through life alone. So he slowly learns that step by step, learning to love and care for others again, and finding something to fight for, he's redeemed...but at a pretty severe price. But I won't spoil that for you. His journey, once you get past the awesome monsters and mystical things, is actually quite simple and beautiful. Is revenge really worth it? What's the price of that vindication? There's so much more to it than the gore, but...whatever. The world changed after the events of the Eclipse, so there's a lot more monsters too.
:derp

I liked Berserk up until the point where Guts' humanity seemed to vanish. If you're telling me that he gets redeemed and becomes normal (well, normal by Guts' standards) again, I'm a bit surprised, but I don't know if I had enough of a connection to him in the first place to want to have to endure some of those chapters. Of course I was oversimplifying matters. :P

Basketball manga are probably just as popular as Soccer and even Baseball manga...Tennis isn't even close in that regard. This isn't necessarily quantity over quality though. Have you read Basketball manga? Or other Tennis manga? I'm not a huge sports manga fan, but Eyeshield 21 was pretty amazing.
I wasn't talking about quantity in that regard, although PoT was remarkably popular. I've read Kuroko and I dropped it around chapter 110-120. The other tennis manga I read is Baby Steps, an overly realistic tennis manga, other than the fact that Ei constantly has looks of surprise and disbelief on his face, even when he wins points.

I've read ES21 and I liked it, but American football has more room to work with than basketball.

I've read plenty of football (soccer) manga.

Haikyuu's up and down, although volleyball is a strange sport to do a manga about. I liked Kurogane, although it wasn't really a sports manga.

I won't read a baseball manga. The idea is just wrong.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Normal is boring. He goes through some changes, realizes what he's doing and has a goal in mind. I'd understand not wanting to read because of how seldom it comes out though. But I'd say it's a must-read for anyone who's a fan of Fantasy or even just action in general.

Why wouldn't you read a Baseball manga? It's the most popular sport there.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
volibear xi0's sig. A character in league of legends..... btw

TEIKO OMG wait so akashi was that childhood friend of kurokochi?
I was running around in happiness.
Great start for flashbacks. My babies kicked ass, broke the tradition and made it to first strings in the first day of club. :squee

I thought the same at first, but Akashi was part of the club since the begining along Kuroko. So now i thing that the unknow boy was from some rival team and got crushed by the GoM.
I expect some tragedy out of it. :x3

Ah, that last page gave me multiple fangarms.:tss
:kuroko
 

Lawl Po Bia

The OMO King
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
11,479
Reaction score
14,407
Country
Japan
True well they sure did an interesting twist/arc thingy not really a twist but very interesting. Midorimachi awesome as usual
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I see that you two are happy with the outcome of this week's Kuroko.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
I see that you two are happy with the outcome of this week's Kuroko.
:nod

:glomp

:midotaka

:squee

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

LOL

This made me laugh

I’ve been watching gay basketball all day and at one point my sister asked if I was watching some hardcore Japanese porn because of all the yelling.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Okay then...
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
You will look at this for 10 s



And now you want to hug everyone. Specially me.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,133
Reaction score
14,110
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
And after the cuddles you try to devour me right?...

So typical -_-;
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You will look at this for 10 s



And now you want to hug everyone. Specially me.
That's not going to hypnotize me and this is moving you farther away from getting to hug me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top