Dranzer

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The fight takes place around the time of the Alavarez arc. Who will win out of Gildarts the ace of Fairy Tail and Laxus who beat the the 5th wizard saint?

Kiki

Castor & Pollux
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hmm.. it's difficult to decide. I think it's draw maybe?

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would love Gildarts to still be the strongest in the guild (without Natsu using DF that is). But I don't think he is anymore. At best he is 3rd, behind Natsu and Laxus. So Laxus wins.

Dranzer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would love Gildarts to still be the strongest in the guild (without Natsu using DF that is). But I don't think he is anymore. At best he is 3rd, behind Natsu and Laxus. So Laxus wins.
Well we know that Laxus and Natsu got stronger through a lot of training, so with that, it's possible that Gildartts trained over the time skip as well. Possibly making him even stronger than the current Laxus at the very least.

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It is true Gildarts could have got stronger, but Natus and Laxus both had reasons to train, while Gildarts is a wanderer. Natsu/Laxus have shown they're above Tenrou Gildarts while it remains to be seen how strong Gildarts is now. I would enjoy Gildarts coming back and being able to take a Spriggan solo to re-establish his status in FT.

Dranzer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It is true Gildarts could have got stronger, but Natus and Laxus both had reasons to train, while Gildarts is a wanderer. Natsu/Laxus have shown they're above Tenrou Gildarts while it remains to be seen how strong Gildarts is now. I would enjoy Gildarts coming back and being able to take a Spriggan solo to re-establish his status in FT.
It would be nice to see him both replenish Fairy Tail's morale and re-establish his role as the strongest in the guild. Which I know Natsu has to be stronger but I prefer it as Gildarts being stronger.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Gildarts. We've barely seen what he can do, or him ever go all out, so I'd say he'd win.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Going for gildarts as well. I think people shouldn't be so quick to judge than Natsu trained over the timeskip so he's definitely above the others. This was what happened before laxus emerged after the timeskip. It was all 'Natsu specifically trained so no one is on his level'. We've barely even see what Gildarts is really capable of and him putting in a bit of training would do a long way. I'll believe that he's still above the rest until proven otherwise.

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Going for gildarts as well. I think people shouldn't be so quick to judge than Natsu trained over the timeskip so he's definitely above the others. This was what happened before laxus emerged after the timeskip. It was all 'Natsu specifically trained so no one is on his level'. We've barely even see what Gildarts is really capable of and him putting in a bit of training would do a long way. I'll believe that he's still above the rest until proven otherwise.
Natsu also had Igneel come out of him which will also give him a power-up of sorts, at the very least it allowed him to use dragon force because there wasn't a dragon suppressing his magic. The training was so he could become strong. If conclusions were made to say "no one is on his level" then that was jumping the gun, but Natsu showed some very impressive moves that put him above Gildarts, and even stronger people than Gildarts like Hades and Mard Geer. Just because Laxus is stronger then Natsu doesn't give any reason to believe Gildarts is - the only info that is relevant to make a case for Gildarts being stronger is info based solely on Gildarts.

Gildarts gets a lot of love (from me as well) because of the way Mashima portrays him - a cool powerhouse that barely shows up. There isn't anything said like "I want to surpass Gildarts" or "Gildarts is the top wizard" etc so it's not like this guy gets a great deal of hype, just enough to know that he is very powerful. Laxus was not far off Gildarts before the timeskip and has eclipsed Tartarus Gildarts now. Natsu just improved a hell of a lot more to surpass Gildarts.

Not saying that Gildarts can't improve either. He needs to show it to prove he is stronger. Going on everything he's done he is not superior anymore imo.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well the other dragon slayers also had dragons coming out of them as well.
As for the other, well, we've really yet to see Gildarts fully go all out. He faced off against acnologia and survived and apparently lasted enough to gauge that Acnologia was toying with FT on tenrou seeing as he said acnologia didn't show the same level as when it attacked him. Against bluenote, he basically fought on physical terms and didn't use his magic until the end and ended up instantly defeating bluenote when he did. Even pre-Ts natsu got scared when he saw Gildarts get a bit pissed off at that creature and basically destroyed the island. Sure Natsu & Laxus grew tremendously and their feats are probably more impressive compared to what we've seen from Gildarts but we've not really seen the latter in full power.
I did say that Gildarts would have to show what he can do but I still believe that Mashima didn't really distort the hierarchy.

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yea the other slayers also have dragons coming out too, but only saying that there is more to Natsu's improvement than training. You can even put him in a unique category because he is an etherious.

Gildarts got beaten by Acnologia in an instant, it says more about Acnologia than Gildarts. Surviving that is very worthy I think.

The fight vs Bluenote is basically showing that in the end Gildarts can beat Bluenote with a big spell. He doesn't go all out with his magic, just uses a powerful attack. I've always thought Gildarts couldn't do a mountain punch because it was Fairy Tail holy land Tenrou Island and he doesn't want to destroy it. Natsu required similar or less effort which is why I put Natsu above.

As for Gildarts not going full power I buy that, but in the same token Laxus and Natsu have not gone all out either. Gildarts mountain punch was a serious attack, maybe at the level of Natsu's demolition fist. Laxus' attack was less serious than both, but likely the most impressive.

Kay3795

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Gildarts would own pre-Laxus in less than 10 secs, low difficulty.

Post Laxus is an unknown - his only feat was summoning Lightning powerful enough to blow away large quantities of sand & presumably injure Ajeel fatally.

Gildarts is older & has more feats thus far so I'll go for him until we see more from Laxus.

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Gildarts at any stage in the series doesn't beat Laxus in less than 10 seconds. Even if you give him all his limbs and prime condition he is not beating pre-skip Laxus easily. At best Gildarts does it with medium difficulty but I lean towards high difficulty (in between medium and high).

Sure current Laxus only has 2 feats but they're equal or greater than Gildarts best 2 feats. Laxus never summoned lightning to the scale he did which shows how he's grown. If that level of inflation to his long range game is replicated by improvement in his close quarter combat skills (dragons slayer magic + lightning body) Laxus is going to be hard to top.

I'm not trying to downplay Gildarts but there is little/no reason to put him above Laxus on evidence, only speculation which I admit I am doing a bit of that for Laxus too.

Kay3795

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Gildarts at any stage in the series doesn't beat Laxus in less than 10 seconds. Even if you give him all his limbs and prime condition he is not beating pre-skip Laxus easily. At best Gildarts does it with medium difficulty but I lean towards high difficulty (in between medium and high).

Sure current Laxus only has 2 feats but they're equal or greater than Gildarts best 2 feats. Laxus never summoned lightning to the scale he did which shows how he's grown. If that level of inflation to his long range game is replicated by improvement in his close quarter combat skills (dragons slayer magic + lightning body) Laxus is going to be hard to top.

I'm not trying to downplay Gildarts but there is little/no reason to put him above Laxus on evidence, only speculation which I admit I am doing a bit of that for Laxus too.
Only a bit? Nah, that putting too mildly.:XD

The only reason pre Laxus might live longer than 10 sec is if Gildarts dicks around; however, this is a vs match - a death match.

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Only a bit? Nah, that putting too mildly.:XD

The only reason pre Laxus might live longer than 10 sec is if Gildarts dicks around; however, this is a vs match - a death match.
A bit of speculations for Laxus.... Every bit is speculation for Gildarts.

Gildarts ain't strong enough to beat Laxus easy. Laxus is fast and would get some good hits on Gildarts but in the end Gildarts would overpower him for a medium to high difficulty match.

Vasgoko

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Gildartz will crush Laxus while eating a bowl of noodles with one hand. This is an easy diff for Gildartz. I would compare this situation to Makarov vs Romeo.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Makarov believed GMG Jura was on the level of gildarts so how can he be that strong.

Mirage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
If Gildarts has advanced the same level as all the other during the TS, then Gildarts easily.

Brandish μ

Brandelicious
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
If Gildarts has advanced the same level as all the other during the TS, then Gildarts easily.
Even if he levels up like Laxus, Gildarts would win high diff. Laxus could earn a high diff fight from Gildarts in Tartarus arc.

Gildarts might improve, but it won't be as much as the kids.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Even if he levels up like Laxus, Gildarts would win high diff. Laxus could earn a high diff fight from Gildarts in Tartarus arc.

Gildarts might improve, but it won't be as much as the kids.
I don't think he has improved.After The Tartaros Arc We basically see him what he was in The GMG Arc.