Discussion Gray Fullbuster Thread

OmegaDestroyer

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 20, 2016
Messages
10
Reaction score
21
Age
44
Country
United States
. And c'mon, Natsu with a tiny bit of E.N.D transformation was able to move through magic like Age Seal somehow because of his power, Gray couldn't do the same so I think if Natsu went full E.N.D, he'd be too strong for gray even though that'd be the only time Gray's devil slayer magic would then have slayer advantage.
That's a weak argument. Since Gray cannot stop time, Natsu being able to move through Age Seal isn't evidence he'd be too strong for Gray.

As to Gray's "demonification," the closest we've seen to the black marks conferring any sort of advantage is when Gary blocked Memento Mori and even then, there is no evidence to support the marks actually did anything.
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
--- Double Post Merged, ---
@Takuan, you're a good guy, but I have to disagree with you and don't like the reasonings you are typing right now because you are being extremely unfair to Gray and giving him zero benefit of doubt especially when he deserves to be given a lot of benefit of doubt.

Especially when mainly because you are attributing a corrupted Gray and characterizing it as a development.

Gray was corrupted, traumatized, mentally out of it, believed to be lied to, and so we can't say he regressed because it was not Gray. It was the situation itself that made Gray do what he did.

Full view of my opinion and some facts added, read my response to you at favourite character thread. God bless.

Also where is Emperor Spriggan, he's missing. He's usually on the case of defending Gray and making good points but sadly he's not here.
Don't worry dude, i expected that people would disagree with me, either in this thread or the other one =)

But to be honest, i mean... It's my opinion xD
I don't think i'm being unfair or being too rude on Gray. It's just how it is: i disliked everything about Gray's attitude regarding END. His behaviour being justified or not, him being lied to or manipulated or corrupted... That doesn't change it. I already said that i understood the circumstances. But that doesn't change the fact that imo, Gray's character has regressed, as somebody else said in this thread i saw (lazy to check who it was).

Anyway, i'll answer your post from the other thread right here, i don't want to juggle between threads:

You shouldn't be delivered with hate messages, that would be pathetic on the receiver to do so.

Okay let's get this straight, it was not pointless for Gray to attempt to kill END before he knew about Natsu. His perishing father delivered a message, and as a good son, Gray wanted to fullfill it.

one thing that tends to get overlooked is that Gray is in his corrupted stated is thinking that Natsu lied to him all of this years. He thinks Natsu is aware of being a demon from long time ago etc.When you are corrupted or literally not sane, you tend to believe or think or do things that you normally would not do. That's the case with Gray here.

Gray didn't receive any development after Ul (and hints of Invel) You are confusing development with progression of plot for a character to renact.

. What Gray did against END wasn't development or regression, but in fact staying in the same spot. Meaning Gray wasn't the same Gray against END. Basically he wasn't himself. So I'm not sure why we have to ignite as if it's regular Gray that was attempting to fight END. because that wasn't really Gray at all. I chalk it to an alternative messed up Gray.

It was a simply a corrupted guy who was corrupted with demon slaying magic. So really not fair to pin point that all on Gray Put anyone in Gray's shoes, and they would act the same way he did. Invel practically manipulated Gray around mainly because of his corruption to his magic wearing thin on him, and the fact that Gray just lost another love of his life made him to and things that were out of character.

Basically TLDR, it's unfair to categorize Gray for development in the context against END, because it wasn't him at all that was attacking his friend. It was the magic, corruption and trauma that was making him stay.


Compare Gray's mentality against Ul, and Gray against END, and tell me which one is the gray. Hint: It's the former.
The Gray I know and accustomed from years, would question Natsu on everything he knows.
The Gray I know and accustomed from years, would attempt to protect Natsu from going berserk, or atleast try to demonize the demon in Natsu.

Basically Mashima is making a point, that when you are corrupted with magic, and have shown to be in so much trauma after years of losing so many people in your life that too at young age, you basically become an alternatively different person. Gotta learn from that.
If you watch Supernatural (witnessing Dean and Sam's life), you would perfectly understand Gray even more.


Regardless, people change their minds on characters all the time. So I'm sure he'll be in your tops when he works over overcoming his demon slaying magic corruption and now that he knows Juvia is alive, he'll be acting sane again. Happy smiling and calm Gray is the best Gray btw :hip
I know that Gray wants to fulfill his father's wish. What i'm saying is: this wish is pointless. Silver had no reason to target END especially, he could target Zeref or every demon, but only END at all cost is silly since END hasn't done anything the whole series.
But i can understand that anyway. However, once Gray discovers that the one he's chasing after never did anything to harm his friends and is actually hsi best friend, he should have question himself. I'd have prefered that instead of blindly following the father's wish.

I perfectly understand what you're saying about Gray being corrupted. That's what i've been saying: Gray has been out of character, and i disliked the way he acted.
Think about it this way: do you prefer the Gray from the entire series, that cares about his friends and wants to protect them, or the Gray that blindly wants to kill his best friend without a second thought? I prefer the former.
I'm disliking the current Gray. Obviously when he starts acting the way he usually acts, i'll like him again. But right now i don't like all that situation.
I know he's corrupted and all that, but that's a behaviour i dislike, regardless of how responsible he is.

I'm only talking about the Gray VS Natsu fight. That's when he's corrupted. I've been disliking Gray's obsession towards END since the real begining of it, since it is extremely forced imo, for reasons i already stated.

In One Piece, when Squard stabs Whitebeard due to being manipulated by Akainu. I liked him before it happened, and whe he realized he was wrong and felt guilty, i liked him as well. But when he was being manipulated into stabbing his father, i disliked it quite a lot. There were reasons as well, with how hateful he was against everything involving Roger. He thought he had been lied to by Whitebeard the entire time. I understand what led him to stab him. But did i approve or liked it, hell no.
 

Jellal Fernandes

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 16, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
102
Age
30
Country
Philippines
This has been a long time coming, I checked everywhere and there is no Gray-sama thread because where I come from, there's a religion called Fullbusterism!

(Don't mind me using Emperor Spriggan's avi cuz I was too lazy to find pic while I'm at my phone.)

I came across Gray-sama when I was watching TV back in my old days when I was bedridden in a hospital and now, no longer I am that. I first thought he was the main character and Natsu just trynna steal the spotlight, I also thought Lucy was a thing for GrayLu.

Anyhow... this is the first time ever Gray Fullbuster discussion tread in general!

We dicuss anything related to him.

I'll leave a few thoughts here: 1. Best written character IMO 2. DeS was forshadowed.
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
I first thought he was the main character and Natsu just trynna steal the spotlight
GOD DAMN REALLY?? That('s also exactly what i thought when i discovered FT !!
:glomp
 

xXCHILLEYXx

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2016
Messages
235
Reaction score
692
Age
28
Country
Canada
People really thought gray was the MC? that's actually really interesting. That should be a poll here to see who thought gray was the MC.

I always thought that when you see a idiotic character and a big breasted blonde prostitute character that everyone would know that's the MC's cause for a lot of manga's/anime's those are the type of MC's you get lol plus they was the first characters shown.

Also welcome to mangahelpers and hype you have fun :D
 

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
6,526
Reaction score
11,423
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
People really thought gray was the MC? that's actually really interesting. That should be a poll here to see who thought gray was the MC.
I think that's just a result of starting with the anime. If you started watching on the Galuna Island arc, I can see why you might think Gray is the male lead. Likewise, if you started during the ToH arc, you might think Erza was the female lead. This problem probably doesn't exists for manga readers though, as chapter 1 establishes Natsu and Lucy as the main characters.
 

Demon Hunter

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
12,850
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
lol it was obvious that Natsu was the main character. just watch the openings and one of the first volumes where Hiro outright stated that Natsu is the MC.

but I agree with you. he is definitely one of the better written characters. Gray and Laxus are one of the best imo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Zelefomavis

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2016
Messages
475
Reaction score
1,308
Age
31
Country
France
Gray is cool.
Literally.

More seriously I have always enjoyed Gray, though all the Invel part + END was meh. The only good part about it was how he fought against END, he actually used his brain and cool techniques and not just raw power which lacked against Invel and was what was cool about molding magic.

I hate Gruvia, I actually shipped Graylu backed in OS ^^
Juvia was an awesome character and I feel lik she was ruined by this romance as she became just Gray's love interest. + seeing how much he was creeped by her I don't feel right him falling for her, it feel kind of forced. I hope he says nope to her but I can not see this happening :XD
 

Ice devil slayer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
1,387
Reaction score
2,534
Age
28
Country
France
My favorite character in this manga..he's just so cool haha even though the whole end drama ruined his characters a little...
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What sets Gray apart from most characters (in my opinion) is the dynamic shift in his mood and attitude.

Usually, you have characters who are always serious and annoyed as well as characters who are always cheerful and excited no matter what. Gray has a balanced personality in my opinion, which is why I would imagine that most people can relate to him that way.

During casual downtime, Gray doesn't mind to chill out and be laid-back while making jokes with his friends and even occasionally teasing them.

But when the situation calls for him to be serious, Gray immediately uses his head and instills fear into his opponents. Gray doesn't need to scream and have veins popping out all over his face in order for you to tell that he is angry.

He can just give others a cold stare to let everybody know that he is pissed off.. And if you think about it, all badass characters are that way. They remain calm, yet you can tell when they're not happy.

Gray is known for his tactical behavior and strategic skills in battle, so this comes as no surprise. Not only that, but Gray rarely takes any drastic or unrealistic measures. He knows his limits and depends on his friends to assist him in battle instead of pulling out some PoF surprise.


Overall, he has the greatest sense of maturity, but doesn't mind fooling around from time to time. And he knows how to act when the time is right for him to do so. He also doesn't have a pussy attitude, despite his tragic past.

I guess his experience with immense suffering has really shaped his character as well.

And really, he's the type of guy you can just drink and unwind with at the bar when you find time to relax.

Which is why Gray x Mira makes sense, to be honest.
 
Last edited:

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
People really thought gray was the MC? that's actually really interesting. That should be a poll here to see who thought gray was the MC.

I always thought that when you see a idiotic character and a big breasted blonde prostitute character that everyone would know that's the MC's cause for a lot of manga's/anime's those are the type of MC's you get lol plus they was the first characters shown.

Also welcome to mangahelpers and hype you have fun :D
I think that's just a result of starting with the anime. If you started watching on the Galuna Island arc, I can see why you might think Gray is the male lead. Likewise, if you started during the ToH arc, you might think Erza was the female lead. This problem probably doesn't exists for manga readers though, as chapter 1 establishes Natsu and Lucy as the main characters.
Exactly, what Axiomus The Wise said. I randomly watched an episode of FT during the Galuna arc, and with everything circling around Gray, i genuinely thought he was the MC. Natsu ws just an annoying dude that was just... Around.
When Natsu got frozen in an iceball and Gray kicked him away i was like "FINALLY JEEZ, who the fuck was that guy anyway"


Ahem well anyway... Back on topic.

Gray... Pretty cool guy. I've aways liked him a lot, despite him falling out a bit during this arc. DIdnt quite like his attitude BUT HEY, already argued about that enough. Nevertheless, i like him a lot.
I love his magic, WAY more interesting than, say, Natsu's magic. The ability to model anything you want with ice is awesome. Thats something i like about Ice mage in general.
I never cared at all about his DeS magic, and i don't quite udnerstand why his DeS design is loved so much. It is nothing special to me. To each his own i guess.
 

Indira

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2016
Messages
267
Reaction score
807
Age
33
Country
Macedonia
I dislike how Gray was treated again this arc, to use ICED Shell even if it's a different variety still doesn't change the fact it's a form of sacrifice. IT's PREDICTABLE. There was absolutely no development from Gray's side of things after Ul-Neinhart fight.

I would've fine with Gray getting demon force, as his half demon force looked badass as it is, or MM. Or Jellal assisting him.
Damnit Mashima why you gotta do this! :gwah


Despite some form of regression, Gray is still one of the better written characters overall in this series. (Just not for this arc, that's all, this arc this pushed Gray back, but it has pushed others too)

One arc is not going going to change many arcs of great development for Gray.
 

Noctiz

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2017
Messages
53
Reaction score
214
Country
Croatia
I will always love my bae Gray no matter what! but I just really really hate the direction Mashima took his character in this arc. which is making me very salty right now.:pjsalt
 

Jellal Fernandes

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 16, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
102
Age
30
Country
Philippines
Well, we can all agree our Ice King here still is logical, he is not that stupid. I don't like to talk about Erza but lol we all knew what went there.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think that's just a result of starting with the anime. If you started watching on the Galuna Island arc, I can see why you might think Gray is the male lead. Likewise, if you started during the ToH arc, you might think Erza was the female lead. This problem probably doesn't exists for manga readers though, as chapter 1 establishes Natsu and Lucy as the main characters.
THis is/was one great thing about FT - each arc usually had a different focal character, even though the main character (Natsu) almost always faced the boss character. I enjoyed getting more insight into Gray's past and what made him into a cool, stripping dude he is.


While Gray's not my favorite character, I do consider him a pretty good character. He's easily better than Natsu and more complex in terms of character, whereas Natsu tends to be impulsive and fiery. I also enjoy seeing Gray fight because he uses tactics and intelligence, not rely on just brute strength. Hell, overall Gray is probably top five characters.
 

Jellal Fernandes

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 16, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
102
Age
30
Country
Philippines
So guys, I re-read everything about Alvarez Arc up to this chapter of Gray, I came into one conclusion. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gray is really the epitome of a realistic character, we can try and say we got over our past problems but deep inside the past still causes us to act what we are in the present day; this is what is doing to Gray. Anyone saying that he is too dumb to get to Zeref with this new Iced Shell, for all stakes, anyone in his situation would pull a kamikaze for someone immortal like Zeref.
 

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,778
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
To be honest, with the last two chapters I'm both happy with Gray but frustrated at the same time. Over the course of this arc, I feel like his character has regressed / diminished, but with Chapter 522 I feel like he redeemed himself a decent amount with what he said. What frustrates me however is how he then went and ruined that redemption by trying to kill himself yet again straight after that, this time via Lost Iced Shell. It's all well and good for it to be a different type of Iced Shell this time, but it still bugs me that he'd try and get rid of himself, and making it so he wouldn't be remembered at all by his friends actually ended up making me hate it even though he had good intentions.
 

Kantos

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2016
Messages
506
Reaction score
1,498
Age
36
Country
Canada
To be honest, with the last two chapters I'm both happy with Gray but frustrated at the same time. Over the course of this arc, I feel like his character has regressed / diminished, but with Chapter 522 I feel like he redeemed himself a decent amount with what he said. What frustrates me however is how he then went and ruined that redemption by trying to kill himself yet again straight after that, this time via Lost Iced Shell. It's all well and good for it to be a different type of Iced Shell this time, but it still bugs me that he'd try and get rid of himself, and making it so he wouldn't be remembered at all by his friends actually ended up making me hate it even though he had good intentions.
Let's be honest here, Mashima only made Gray sacrifice himself so Natsu would look like a hero to protect him/stop him. It was a drawback to the previous arcs, that Mashima wanted to add the flavour to. The good intentions does redeem him in some capacity after all even if it's wreck-less, it's still honorable and noble in a way that he wanted to save his best friend this much to this extent. After all he did say he felt that he didn't deserve to be in the guild after what he did in the END incident, (also it may have not been stated by Gray himself but IMO his magic also played a very crucial part in destroying his mental capacity) which really explains his actions, especially when he most likely overheard Happy stating that killing Zeref would kill Natsu.

If you look at Natsu for example, he also had his character regressed because he was also attempting to sacrifice himself to destroy Zeref despite being thickheaded to not hear or believe Zeref's words.

It's time to accept main characters will sacrifice their own life if it means getting their comrades into just not for safety reasons but also to lead a secure and long life, no matter what happens.
 
Last edited:

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Where would you guys put Gray at his strongest?

He had a good showing in Alvarez but I wish we saw more. Like I see a lot of debate about him.

In a FT power ranking I would put him somewhere between 4-6. Behind Natsu, Gildarts and Laxus. But with Erza and DF Gajeel.

In a tier list I would say it goes at their strongest:

Ultimate of FT:
Gildarts/DF Natsu/Laxus

Top:
Darkness Gray, Nakagami Erza, DF Gajeel



Opinions??
 
Last edited:
Top