Discussion Gray Fullbuster Thread

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
6,526
Reaction score
11,423
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Can Gray be considered a tactician anymore? He either fights with brute strength or uses Iced Shell?

He hasn't used his wits in battle since Tartaros.
Doesn't waiting until Mirajane was injured after fighting the Dragon Eaters count as a tactic?
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Doesn't waiting until Mirajane was injured after fighting the Dragon Eaters count as a tactic?
Up to you.

Wasn't his original plan anyway. He wanted to freeze them. Either way, he didn't really have a choice since he doesn't stand a chance against all 4 of them. He would've made things worse.
 
Last edited:

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No need to be rattled

Not sure what makes you think this, but whatever, I'm assuming you somehow found my tone to be offensive or misleading or something, so I'll make sure to use emojis to make my statements more "user-friendly".

it's a simple question:

Can Gray still be considered a tactician?

Here's a simple answer:

Of course he can. :teach

Other characters and terrible dragon slayer analogies are irrelevant. Were talking Gray here.

Oh? :cheez

He's just more of a tactician than Natsu and Erza.

Last time I checked, Gray isn't the same person as Natsu and Erza. :confused:

And nah, making references to other character examples is completely on-topic here because it is the relative level of wits that Gray shows compared to other characters in FT that explain why some people describe Gray as a tactician.

(Example: Superman and Batman aren't even remotely related to FT, but were still mentioned over several posts to make a point clear)

And I'm starting to think that the line about "terrible analogies" is becoming a popular trend that everyone seems to be bandwagoning on. At least I'm putting in some effort in my discussions to counter an analogy instead of conveniently dismissing it.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Of course he can. :teach
Now was that so difficult?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Lol the art of answering a simple question is being lost.
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Now was that so difficult?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Lol the art of answering a simple question is being lost.

Nope, not difficult at all.

But, that wasn't your original question. Let me show you which question you asked at the beginning:

Gray hasn't used his wits since Tartaros. How can he be considered a tactician?
As you can see, my previous response was directed towards that question. Wasn't a simple question that could be answered with a Yes/No.
 

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
6,526
Reaction score
11,423
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Superman and Batman are not equals. The only way Batman beats Superman is with months of preparation and Superman still has his morals. Give Superman the same amount of time and take off his morals, and he can literally throw the moon at our planet. Supes and Bats are not equals. To be fair, Natsu and Gray aren't equals either. There's a fairly big gap between them now, though still nowhere near as big as Supes and Bats. Natsu and Gray is more like Thor and Iron Man.

Nobody in Fairy Tail is that great of a tactician, but Gray does use some tactics in his older fights so you can call him a tactician if you want.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Nope, not difficult at all.

But, that wasn't your original question. Let me show you which question you asked at the beginning:



As you can see, my previous response was directed towards that question. Wasn't a simple question that could be answered with a Yes/No.
If you would've scrolled up, you would have seen that I originally asked a yes or no. It took quite a bit just for a yes. Though I don't see him as one, that's why I originally asked in the first place.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Natsu and Gray is more like Thor and Iron Man.
Definitely not. The gap is bigger with Natsu and Gray than it is with Iron man and Thor. More of a Thor and Hawkeye.
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If you would've scrolled up, you would have seen that I originally asked a yes or no. It took quite a bit just for a yes. Though I don't see him as one, that's why I originally asked in the first place.

Yeah, I saw the original Yes/No question that you're referring to. But I already replied to that one with the rhetorical question about Gajeel and Laxus. I thought that was obvious enough for an answer.

But after you asked the question about how Gray was considered a tactician, I merely explained how fans used that as a general term to describe his strategic mindset in battle, rather than having complete reliance on PoF. I also explained how "tactics" was thrown out the window post-Tartaros since Alvarez was the only major arc afterwards and it was extremely rushed, which led to many characters facing setbacks/damages to their reputation.

And idk about you, but I thought that my answers were fairly simple and to the point. But I'll keep it in mind to simplify it further for you in the future if you ever need it.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, I saw the original Yes/No question that you're referring to. But I already replied to that one with the rhetorical question about Gajeel and Laxus. I thought that was obvious enough for an answer.

But after you asked the question about how Gray was considered a tactician, I merely explained how fans used that as a general term to describe his strategic mindset in battle, rather than having complete reliance on PoF. I also explained how "tactics" was thrown out the window post-Tartaros since Alvarez was the only major arc afterwards and it was extremely rushed, which led to many characters facing setbacks/damages to their reputation.

And idk about you, but I thought that my answers were fairly simple and to the point. But I'll keep it in mind to simplify it further for you in the future if you ever need it.
That's my point. If tactics were thrown out after Tartaros, can he be looked as one. It seems that Mashima has moved his role to just overpowering his opponent through pure strength alone.
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's my point. If tactics were thrown out after Tartaros, can he be looked as one. It seems that Mashima has moved his role to just overpowering his opponent through pure strength alone.

Well, if that's what you think (along with many others), then go ahead.

I do completely acknowledge that post-Tartaros contained a bunch of disastrous writing, but I was always one of the guys who didn't think it was fair for Alvarez Arc to represent the rest of the 400+ chapters in the FT manga.

This also leads to my other point which is that most fans use the term "tactician" to describe Gray's overall character. I've never seen somebody judge a character by the contents of only a single arc (especially a ridiculously OOC one like Alvarez). If I were to do that to all characters in FT, then I can say nothing remotely good about any of them.

Up to you on how you want to assess the quality of each character, but ignoring a character's entire development just because of what happened in Alvarez Arc seems like a poor pick to me.
 

Newperson00

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
569
Reaction score
769
Age
56
Country
Denmark
Well, if that's what you think (along with many others), then go ahead.

I do completely acknowledge that post-Tartaros contained a bunch of disastrous writing, but I was always one of the guys who didn't think it was fair for Alvarez Arc to represent the rest of the 400+ chapters in the FT manga.

This also leads to my other point which is that most fans use the term "tactician" to describe Gray's overall character. I've never seen somebody judge a character by the contents of only a single arc (especially a ridiculously OOC one like Alvarez). If I were to do that to all characters in FT, then I can say nothing remotely good about any of them.

Up to you on how you want to assess the quality of each character, but ignoring a character's entire development just because of what happened in Alvarez Arc seems like a poor pick to me.
True Alvarez was a big mess I'm glad 100 YQ happend let's hope Gray gets respect and a Demon Dragon Eater opponent with Gray using tactics to beat him
and more fights similar & more teamwork like Natsu & Gray vs Mard Geer

It's still annoying Mashima didn't fix Alvarez in the anime I hoped a new direction of Alvarez a non rushed one but we was wrong T-T
 

Karna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
223
Reaction score
405
Age
30
Country
Philippines
I wish we have more Gray fans like Nemispelled. Dude can actuay not be bias for Gray.

So guys...chances are we might get an Elintir Gray.
 

Karna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
223
Reaction score
405
Age
30
Country
Philippines
And another day goes by mourning, for how badly treated Gray is, in this sequel.
 

FireIce

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2022
Messages
692
Reaction score
1,096
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
France
This thread was inactive for over two years... Speaks for itself :yodawg
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,582
Reaction score
10,159
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
This thread was inactive for over two years... Speaks for itself :yodawg
Nothing to discuss here.

Gray was the only MC I could tolerate in the main series, and even I realize that he has become dogshit now.

Just this basically:
And another day goes by mourning, for how badly treated Gray is, in this sequel.
 

Karna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
223
Reaction score
405
Age
30
Country
Philippines
I miss cold-blooded Gray, who was out for END's blood and Tartarus.
 

Nespi

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2022
Messages
95
Reaction score
180
Age
27
Country
Russian Federation
I miss cold-blooded Gray, who was out for END's blood and Tartarus.
As for me... No. Cold-blooded Gray wanting to kill his friend just because Invel said Natsu is enemy? This is not our Gray. Real Gray takes care about his friends more than anyone else. Very bad move from Mashima.
I want to see Gray who doesn't want to hurt his friends. From his fight against thunder god tribe but against strong enemy now.
 

Darklord#10

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 11, 2022
Messages
3,573
Reaction score
3,262
Age
22
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Says more about the forum itself if anything. There's a 2 year gap in the Erza thread as well.
Who wants to talk about a character that needs POF to win fights
 
Top