Done GTO Shonan 14 Days help

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I think It might be easier if I just give you the whole chapter, you probably wont be able to get anything from the previous page.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=92AFFNQF

I did think of hunger, but to be struck/hit with hunger....?
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Or I guess it could simply be a hanger :p
I dunno, I was led to believe that a cloth hanger wouldn't be one of the possible choices...
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Or I guess it could simply be a hanger :p
I dunno, I was led to believe that a cloth hanger wouldn't be one of the possible choices...
Oh?

Being beaten by a hanger (from a jet) or through being hungry would seem a bit more far fetched to me ^^;
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
so 2 questions, what's the deal with the ハンガー? Is it a particular type of "hanger" that I'm not thinking of? What comes to mind is a wire clothes hanger and that would be pretty dumb...
I guess I just automatically sifted that out of my head. Oops :p
I agree though, while hunger is maybe somewhat feasible, an airplane hanger is just...wrong :D
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
I guess I just automatically sifted that out of my head. Oops :p
I agree though, while hunger is maybe somewhat feasible, an airplane hanger is just...wrong :D
^^;

I guess hunger would be feasible if the verb used along with it wasn't "殴られたり" ^^;;

Anyway, carry on carry on ^^
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ok, I took a look at the raw. I'm 99.5% sure it's just talking about a clothes hanger like njt said.
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Ah ok, many thanks both of you guys. :)

Next is page 8, the next one along.


Just a general check for this one really...

あれ程 学校で裸になるなって言ってたのになんで脱いだのよ——っ!!
Even though I told you never to reveal yourself at school, why did you take your clothes off!?

おかげで学校に呼び出されたじゃない!!
Thanks to you here I get a call from the school!!

あなたはそんなにお母さんを悪者にしたいの!?
Do you really want to make your mother look bad that much!?

なんとか言いなさいよ!ねぇ!!
Say something! hey!!
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yeah, you pretty much got those.
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
When you say pretty much... Is there room for improvement? :P

Next is page 12:



Just another general check for the first part.

今でもあれはあたしが悪いんじゃないかって
Even now sometimes I think...

時々そう思うんだ
...That I could have still been the one in the wrong.

あたしがいつも休んでる身体測定に出たから
I'd always skip body measuring, but all because I went to one...

母があたしと離れる事になったんだって・・・・
...mother ended up losing me...

だから―——
...so...
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
When I said pretty much, it means you got the meanings down. As for the wording, it would be your own choice, as you are the translator.

Rather than her mother losing her, it's more like they were separated.

Otherwise, the meanings are correct. Although I see that you chose to break up the first and second lines differently from the original text. That's totally fine.
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
With the losing vs separating, because the mother is the subject originally I thought "mother ended up being separated from me" but I thought that might sound a little unnatural? Dunno.
 
Last edited:

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Oh but I guess losing would work too. But the literal meaning is "my mom had me separated from her".
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Cool, cool.

Next we've got page 13:


From the second panel on....

・・・・おまえ母親に叩かれたりさんざんひでー事されたりしてたんだろ?
...Your mother beat you and did overwhelmingly (/harshly?) cruel things to you right?

--From what I understand 叩かれた is to be beaten, but another translation could be to be abused as well? I know they're both pretty similar things but could it lend itself to one over the other more in this situation?

なのに会いたいとか思うのか?
And yet you still think of wanting to meet her and stuff?

・・・・フッ
...Heh.

おめでてー奴だなおまえも・・・・
You're a pretty simple kid too in the end...


オレなんかブチ殺したくて
しょーがねぇってゆーのによ!?

With these line's I'm not sure if he's talking about wanting to kill his own mother? Or if he'd want to kill his mother if he was in Ikuko's situation?
It's funny because I thought he wanted to kill his stepdad... :S
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
First one, I would personally use "beaten", because she literally was beaten a lot, and if you say abused, that would sound too similar to what is said in the second half of the sentence.

Second one, ok.

Third, sure.

Fourth, yep. Although rather than simple, I would say naive.

Last one, I'm not quite sure, because I don't know anything about the characters. Although looking simply at that page and the ones right next to it, I would guess he's talking about what he would do in her situation.
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
We don't really know much about Seiya at this point, apart from the fact that his mother disappeared and left him with her boyfriend (I said step dad before but he's just a boyfriend it seems), who would beat him up and abuse him etc. In the previous chapter we find out that Seiya's bought a gun, that his mother has gotten in contact with him again and has started seeing the boyfriend again, and we have our suspicions that he's wanting to use the gun on the boyfriend... although wanting to use it on his mother could also be possible? Him wanting to use it on the boyfriend is really what's been hinted at most though.
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
To me it would sound the most natural if he were talking about what he would do in her shoes. But I don't know. Maybe it's up to your own interpretation?
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Hey, sorry for leaving it so long before settling this.

So when you say its up to your interpretation, do you mean its up to the audience's interpretation? If so, how would that be possible in English? :s
 
Last edited:

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
No, your own interpretation as the translator.
Pronouns in Japanese are often not mentioned explicitly, so when it's ambiguous, you have to make your own decisions as to which way to go.
 

Sanzoku_Densetsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
To be honest I don't trust my abilities enough and don't think I can base my interpretation on anything really valid. From previous discussions I've had with people that I know who are more accomplished in Japanese than I am, it appears knowing what could and could not be said instead is handy when working with ambiguous lines like this. Unfortunately for me I guess this type of ability is only something one can hope for after speaking Japanese for a good deal of time. Anyway, I think I might nut this one out a bit further with a Japanese friend.

Ah well, not to worry! Cheers for everything thus far :)

Page 16


Even though a lot of it I'm confident with, I'll just put everything I've done for this page just in case.

ほらよ
Here.

前に渡したオモチャと違って本物だ
Unlike the toy I gave you earlier that's the real thing.

気いつけて扱えよ?
Handle with care, got it?

河川敷の試し撃ちん時より弾も追加してある
There's more ammo added than when we did the test fire at the riverbed too.

サンキュー
Thanks.

--from here on this is where things get shaky.

・・・・それをタダで貸してやるんだ
...I'm lending you that for nothing.

だから例の約束忘れんなよ?
So don't forget that promise of ours.

逃げたら地球の果てまで追い込みかけんからな
Run away you'll be chased to the ends of the earth.

--I'm really not sure what he's talking about here. Is he saying he'll be chased by the police? After reading how Seiya responds on the next page that's kind of what I figured... Also we have no idea what this promise is the guy with glasses is talking I don't think.
 
Top