I actually agree with demonspeed here. I like it the way it is with togashi drawing everything, and that is what he wants.
I mean, don't get me wrong. if togashi said that his back pain is too bad and he lets someone else write it, i would read it 100%, but i would prefer it if he does it all, even if the artwork improves.
But assistants don't really get there name on the manga, it'll be more help rather than a partnership. One Piece & tons of other manga the authors have assistants, it doesn't make me think the manga is any less their's. They mainly do like backgrounds & stuff I think, and maybe action lines. I think it may be time to start considering it, this Dark Continent arc looks like it's gonna be huge so I'm honestly thinking it could take 10 years if it's not rushed.
well it makes sense, the CA arc was roughly 8 years.
And in the beginning of it, he worked faster.
If togashi writes 10 chaps per year, he'd take 13 years for the equivalent of th CA arc.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The guy who runs the hiatus x hiatus chart became passive aggressive lately
@TSPanda I do think hiatus is part of the HxH experience by now tho
Later generations who might pick up this 'classic' manga will experience it in a very different way^^
After reading or attempting to read hxh for so many years, I think I no longer care about the art. I just want the story told, and I want to see this newworld that awaits us. I rarely pray, actually I never do, but i will be praying night and day for togashi's recovery. I also hope he focuses more on storytelling, and allows his wife to draw more. After all the years they've been together i doubt she can't give us art similar to the original.
After reading or attempting to read hxh for so many years, I think I no longer care about the art. I just want the story told, and I want to see this newworld that awaits us. I rarely pray, actually I never do, but i will be praying night and day for togashi's recovery. I also hope he focuses more on storytelling, and allows his wife to draw more. After all the years they've been together i doubt she can't give us art similar to the original.
While i do think that his wife would be able to draw a compelling looking manga, i don't think that togashi wants that. She might already help him out some, but probably more with motivating him and making him see the doctor regularly than with actual manga related help.
If you are an old man who struggled with finishing a work for 20 years, and you wanted to make a point in this work by doing everything alone, you don't just stop.
You ain't going to say: Oh well, i will ask my wife for help on this one.
It's no shame in doing so, but i doubt it.
I think he would rather draw ten chaps per year with severe back pain than getting any manga related help.
And i would assum ethat his wife as a manga artist herself respects that wish.
It would be kinda nice actually to have ten chapters per year at a fixed time of the year.
Would be a bit like christmas or ramadan.
We could have a big countdown here with games and cookies.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Read this on tv tropes today:
Sailor Moon artist Naoko Takeuchi had several orphaned series in the wake of the end of her hit franchise. The first was PQ Angels, which was discontinued abruptly after only 4 chapters, and Kodansha lost the proofs of the portion that had been written. The manga was never published outside of its original serial run. Her second series, Love Witch, ran for three chapters, at which point Takeuchi had written that she was taking a vacation from which the series never returned outside of a one-shot side story. It was not until the 2005-2006 run of Toki* Meca, expanded from the one-shot Toki-Meka, that Takeuchi saw a series through to its completion again.
Maybe those two were bonding over their love for hiatusses back then
I guess his wife is perfect for togashi because she understands what he is going through when he cannot or does not want to write.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Edit
: So, i have been thinking: How do we pass the time in this forum while Togashi is inactive?
I i was a DBZ character, i'd train my body or search for the dragonballs.
But since i am a lazy procrastinator from a rather nonmagical world, i proudly introduce my idea (and subsequent realization) of going through every arc together again.
What that means is: Every single month starting from now, i will open a thread about an hxh arc (chronologically).
I, personally, will rewatch and/or reread that arc again and i invite everybody to do the same (i will see that i count minor arcs too so everybody who wants to participate has enough time. I will also cut the chimera ant arc into two parts, one going until the start of the palace invasion, the other going unti the actual end of it).
But even those who dont want to rewatch or reread are then invited to talk about favourite moments, complaints or anything else related to that arc.
You know, the smaller things and details which you found endearing or (at least in the first few arcs) which sold you to HxH and impressed you back then and why they impressed or touched you.
I will do opening posts with some talking points, so i guess that should work out (and we have to see how much of you guys would enjoy this idea, anyway).
All in all, counting every little thing, we got 9 arcs to go (i DO count the kurapika oneshot and the black whale arc here).
When we are though with that and some people have read up HxH again, we got a (existant) chance that there will be an announcement about when HxH will be back until then.
As for this thread: Hiatus can almost be called a giant HxH arc by now.
So, let's start here: DO you have any notable stories arround the HxH hiatus? Some nice timing of it reappearing when you were down, did the hiatus lead you to read any other stuff which you grew fond of? What kind of stuff?
The problem about HxH is that it doesn't work anymore, and also if you want to think that, at the end, if Togashi does everything it will be the best HxH story possible, it might not be true at all. I explain myself: when you read a book the story that is told it has some curves, sometimes it goes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes normally, because it has to build up some tension. It is the same thing with movies, with tv series, even with sex. Imagine having sex, if you do it too fast it is not enough satisfying, if it too slow it is boring, if it doesn't change the rhythm it is too flat, if it is interrupted it kills the magic, it is realtively annoying, and at the end it is stressing. This last is the way that it is HxH right now, if you read the last 50+ chapters you will see every discontinuity in the story, nothing matches "right", it seems a little confusing too, it is just that it can't guarantee the "timing" anymore, it can't build up tension in the correct way, it can't tell the story at the best of its possibilities. At the end I think HxH was and, maybe, will be a good story, but right now it isn't at all, simply because it is impossible to follow.
: So, i have been thinking: How do we pass the time in this forum while Togashi is inactive?
I i was a DBZ character, i'd train my body or search for the dragonballs.
Unfortunately, we cannot serach for dragon balls... We can only catch pokemons now xD (Thinking about it, Niantic could make similar game with dragon balls instead)
I like your idea, we can go through all arcs during this Great Back Pain Arc
The problem about HxH is that it doesn't work anymore, and also if you want to think that, at the end, if Togashi does everything it will be the best HxH story possible, it might not be true at all. I explain myself: when you read a book the story that is told it has some curves, sometimes it goes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes normally, because it has to build up some tension. It is the same thing with movies, with tv series, even with sex. Imagine having sex, if you do it too fast it is not enough satisfying, if it too slow it is boring, if it doesn't change the rhythm it is too flat, if it is interrupted it kills the magic, it is realtively annoying, and at the end it is stressing. This last is the way that it is HxH right now, if you read the last 50+ chapters you will see every discontinuity in the story, nothing matches "right", it seems a little confusing too, it is just that it can't guarantee the "timing" anymore, it can't build up tension in the correct way, it can't tell the story at the best of its possibilities. At the end I think HxH was and, maybe, will be a good story, but right now it isn't at all, simply because it is impossible to follow.
I dont thing that is such an issue. The hardcore fans are used to it by now, the new fans still got the anime to elevate them to almost the point where we are, and the direction the story goes in can be understood without much prior knowledge (gon and killuah put on a bus, the plot right now focussing on recently introduced things).
Hello guys, in terms of anime, is there something out there thats worth watching? I just loved HunterxHunter so much everything else fades in comparison, Naruto/Claymore Ive tried they are good but not the same caliber, Any ideas what I could watch next? Ive only watched 6-7 animes in my life, I tried FMA Brotherhood and didnt like it,, tried many suposedly amazing animes but everything sucks imo lol. I like animes with power rankings, I like when the characters train and upgrade their power levels kinda like Naruto and Hxh, I open to suggestion! Thx!
Hello guys, in terms of anime, is there something out there thats worth watching? I just loved HunterxHunter so much everything else fades in comparison, Naruto/Claymore Ive tried they are good but not the same caliber, Any ideas what I could watch next? Ive only watched 6-7 animes in my life, I tried FMA Brotherhood and didnt like it,, tried many suposedly amazing animes but everything sucks imo lol. I like animes with power rankings, I like when the characters train and upgrade their power levels kinda like Naruto and Hxh, I open to suggestion! Thx!
I usually dont watch anime and only read manga, but the boku no hero academia anime might be something you'd enjoy.
I only read a few manga chapters, but i would think that it has in fact lots of training arcs and at least the chapters i got were a lot about competing with each other and teaming up.
The problem about HxH is that it doesn't work anymore, and also if you want to think that, at the end, if Togashi does everything it will be the best HxH story possible, it might not be true at all. I explain myself: when you read a book the story that is told it has some curves, sometimes it goes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes normally, because it has to build up some tension. It is the same thing with movies, with tv series, even with sex. Imagine having sex, if you do it too fast it is not enough satisfying, if it too slow it is boring, if it doesn't change the rhythm it is too flat, if it is interrupted it kills the magic, it is realtively annoying, and at the end it is stressing. This last is the way that it is HxH right now, if you read the last 50+ chapters you will see every discontinuity in the story, nothing matches "right", it seems a little confusing too, it is just that it can't guarantee the "timing" anymore, it can't build up tension in the correct way, it can't tell the story at the best of its possibilities. At the end I think HxH was and, maybe, will be a good story, but right now it isn't at all, simply because it is impossible to follow.
I think this is the first time I feel like this and your post suggested a glimpse of why.
In every TV series/manga/novel/anime the first chapters/episodes should present enough to "catch" the spectator so it continue to watch the rest. When I read HxH for the first time, there was sufficient material of the Chimera Ants arc, enough to create in me an expectation of the outcome. Now, after almost three years with minimum material, what was published about the DC arc is not enough to get the same feeling.
Will it be bad for the publication in the long run? I don't know.
Apparently a member of Shueisha's staff claims that the hiatus won't be long, rough translation:
"This hiatus is going to be very short. Nonetheless, drawing is not going to be possible for at least three releases or more. That doesn't mean that next week the series will restart. It's natural that readers think that this hiatus is going to be very long, it seems that they expect a break for 1 or 2 years, but this time it's not going to be a long one (laughs). Actually, in every number that we publish it is hinted that the reissue will be soon. If you are not from the editorial staff you won't be able to read the hint possibly. Togashi is trying to work."
Apparently a member of Shueisha's staff claims that the hiatus won't be long, rough translation:
"This hiatus is going to be very short. Nonetheless, drawing is not going to be possible for at least three releases or more. That doesn't mean that next week the series will restart. It's natural that readers think that this hiatus is going to be very long, it seems that they expect a break for 1 or 2 years, but this time it's not going to be a long one (laughs). Actually, in every number that we publish it is hinted that the reissue will be soon. If you are not from the editorial staff you won't be able to read the hint possibly. Togashi is trying to work."
Hello guys, in terms of anime, is there something out there thats worth watching? I just loved HunterxHunter so much everything else fades in comparison, Naruto/Claymore Ive tried they are good but not the same caliber, Any ideas what I could watch next? Ive only watched 6-7 animes in my life, I tried FMA Brotherhood and didnt like it,, tried many suposedly amazing animes but everything sucks imo lol. I like animes with power rankings, I like when the characters train and upgrade their power levels kinda like Naruto and Hxh, I open to suggestion! Thx!
Apparently a member of Shueisha's staff claims that the hiatus won't be long, rough translation:
"This hiatus is going to be very short. Nonetheless, drawing is not going to be possible for at least three releases or more. That doesn't mean that next week the series will restart. It's natural that readers think that this hiatus is going to be very long, it seems that they expect a break for 1 or 2 years, but this time it's not going to be a long one (laughs). Actually, in every number that we publish it is hinted that the reissue will be soon. If you are not from the editorial staff you won't be able to read the hint possibly. Togashi is trying to work."