Shounen Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

MangaPage

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
81
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Well, I have to agree the follow-up of the first 2 chapters could have been better than what we have now, but still I consider it better than the recent battle manga in jump and while it's not exceptional I still think it's quite interesting. I think saying nothing stands out in it is a bit exaggerated, it's not excellent but just the strange theme (science, glowing corpses, mysterious apple) and the dark tone for jump should stand out enough just on their own. Sure, many things are cliché, but it was kind of to be expected considering it's in jump and still aimed at a young audience, and for this kind of series it's quite good. I can see it become bad but I can also see it become a good manga so I still think it has potential.

One thing I'm not really sure how to react to in chap. 3, though, is the introduction of this "god" species. Putting apart the fact that it makes the manga go in a good vs. evil direction (like Halcyon mentioned), which I was kind of expecting, I don't know if a manga about science is the right place to have things such as "gods". Well, I understand that they are the sort of explanation for the supernatural powers (that they belong to them), but that explanation seems a bit too simple and I think more thought could have been put into arranging a more elaborate one. But now that it's done it's not like I really mind it a lot, it all depends on how it develops from now on and how these gods are going to be shown, I could come to think it was the right decision.

I thought death note was complicated and too dark for SJ, but see how it went?
Of course, I'm not saying HJ had the same promise as death note atm.
While I also don't quite agree with the fact that it might be too complicated, I don't really think that is a good argument, because Death Note was complicated but it attracted an older readership, that's why it didn't lose votes from being too complicated (the ones who voted for the series in the first place were not small kids, but readers who could understand complicated things), while HJ's theme is clearly aimed at a younger readership than DN, so the ones interested in it will probably be younger and would be scared away with too complicated things (though I don't think it will be too complicated). Most adults wouldn't really vote for it just because it would have some complicated explanations, because the overall theme is more for kids than adults.

Oh, and about that, the way things have turned out seems to confirm my earlier supposition that it won't get the science side into complicated theory parts, since it seems to indicate that the whole science thing will just go with the simple logic "object related to important discovery = physical power of the thing discovered" and won't need to elaborate more than that. So the science element seems to be kind of settling as a "theme for supernatural powers which are possible because of gods" (the god side acts as explanation to powers and the science one as the theme for those powers, not as an explanation, in which case it would have to become more complicated).

I feel like the mangaka was too interested in jumping right into the action, and did NO buildup around the main characters or premise of what their world/lives are really like. I actually have trouble following this manga because too much just happens or is discovered without any explanation, and suddenly we've got them on a supernatural journey by chapter 3 with two characters who are supposed to be all about science yet are suddenly ok with all of this. I just don't like how they come to conclusions based on little information or none, and have delved themselves into a world that they seem too comfortable with.
The reason there is no buildup on the main character is just because there is nothing to build up, he doesn't remember a single thing about his past and his whole life can be resumed into: no memory on the first period, trying to discover his past on the second period, haha. Other than that, he's a genius, so isn't really affected a lot by things and his mind is a bit empty on the emotion side. I understand that it might seem to be rushing, but for me it's ok to start directly with the story. Though about the assistant, I agree with you, if this is as far as her character goes then she has no interest other that being a simple female lead idiot assistant, the "normal" person in the middle of this. While I don't mind the main character, I think she should be improved, and it should happen in the next ten chapters, if not I will consider it a serious problem. I hope as the action advances we get some interesting things on her.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Just read the fourth chapter and must say that I got mixed feelings about it. The chapter serves as a transition towards the next adventure/"arc". Those who wished to get some more background on the characters might appreciate ch.4 but to me some aspects felt kinda forced and a bit cheap...

Only read the text in the tags if you don't mind learning anything that happens in the chapter...
Chitose comes to the conclusion that she can't continue to work for Haiji as the way things developed are just too much for her to handle.
The scene switches to the Toriiooji residence the next morning. When Chitose, while listening to the morning news that cover the incident at the local hospital, comes down to have breakfast Haiji already awaits her.
We learn more about Chitose's family background and this is the crucial part that makes me feel kinda "meh": Her father was a scientist who died in an accident 6 years ago. So that just screams: "connected to Haiji's past"
There's some strange romance undertone in the chapter since Haiji eventually asks Mrs. Toriiooji for Chitose's hand to which the mother agrees. There's also a long speech from Haiji who tells Chitose how she makes him discover things about him he didn't know, how he needs her, how she might be his key to everything and so on.
In the end, Haiji even cares enough for the girl to remember her name. Now isn't that cute.
Final page switches scenes to the Oh'ei Museum in England where the Pythagorean Hammer is exhibited and watched by a mysterious rogue in suits who lights himself a cigarette. (We don't get to see the man's face.)

So yeah... while I still feel it's still way too early to judge the story I'm not too impressed by how this chapter was composed. Like I said, it just felt a bit cheap really. (I mean Tabata *really* took a long time to work the story out from when it was first published. Maybe I was just expecting something a bit more sophisticated, I dunno...)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

It's probably just me continuing to be unfair, but really this totally is what I expected. That one-shot was so terrible that for it to be something so average is still a huge step up. Just wish it felt a bit... less cliché.
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

the only thing i can say about this chapter is towards Mr. Prince for such a great translation since chapter itself except for the last page is useless or maybe forced would seem more diplomatic. this manga blind sided me since i read the one shot before the serialization so i thought it was good. i am cursing my judgement now. i believe i cant continue this manga beyond the 5th chapter. and that is just to see what power hammer has been given from the simple musical tuning device it originaly is.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Wow, I don't know how others will see this but I for one finally enjoyed a whole chapter of this series. Just when I thought I might lose interest in it after that horrible Chitose-centered interlude last week, Tabata pulls a good one.

The one who stands at the center point of this week's chapter is Alan Blackman, the dangerous (faceless) rogue we saw during last week's finale. He slightly resembles Hibari Kyouya from Katekyou Hitman REBORN! in looks and personality. - I liked his quirk with the headphones and how only the cry of goats out in the plains can calm him down. That was random enough to amuse me.

Alan turns out to wield the Pythagorean Hammer and just when he and Haiji get ready to face off they get interrupted by a young girl who jumpkicks Alan in the balls and introduces them as members of an organization called "White Joker", asking Haiji to join them in their quest of saving the world.
I like where this is going. It would be great to have a bigger main cast as I find Chitose to be rather boring, and her interaction with Haiji becomes quite dull over time. Really looking forward to next week's chapter now! (First time.)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

I felt like Blackman had a bit of an Atlus design thing about him. I really think him and the girl could be the crutch that might finally improve the story

I'm also looking forward to the next chapter. I mean it was still kinda... perfectly average, but it's much closer to hitting that sweet spot now
 

Ether

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 12, 2012
Messages
44
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

As it was said above, the chapter was average overall, but I found some little details to be pretty cool (like the little "emblems" that showed up in their eyes when they were about to fight, and that were related to the items they were holding), so I kinda liked it.
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

i am sry but i cant get moved by this story. alan, the chibi girl and the rest of the chapter doesnt have anything that might be considered good. the way i see, this manga is desperatly trying to get out of the hole it dug itself in and failing miserably. Considering the only thing i liked about the chapter was the goat sounds and jewel accident i cant consider anything else.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Can you really say this manga has dug itself in a hole and is desperately trying to get out when it's only 5 chapters long so far? Yeah, it's generic but that has worked plenty of times in the past. It's a slightly enjoyable read when it comes out and I would like to see it evolve into something more appealing but who knows.
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

it might seem like jumping the gun in retrospective, but when you consider the first 5 chapters has more pages to gain traction and give some sort of general direction it doesnt.

about being generic; it doesnt necessarily mean it is bad but also not so good either.

i wont say it cant turn itself around but it usually is harder.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Personally while I find it a bit generic I still think it's too early to make a call on it. Frankly JUMP action series are rarely super interesting right out of the gate. D. Gray Man and Psyren are the only significant exceptions that I can think of, and the latter wasn't even shown to be a shonen action series till later on. Of course with the way new series have been flopping I don't expect it to find enough time to hit it's stride but who knows. Guess we'll see what happens. I think it still has the chance to build on it's potential of if it actually gets to stick around a bit.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

I just skimmed through the raw of the new chapter and I'll stick with what I said last week: The introduction of the Hungry Jokers was a nice turning point. Alan and Mira make fine additions to the main cast and chapter 6 starts shedding some light on the main conflict of the story. It contains quite a bit of explaining in regards to a few backgrounds of the story/world and so on and so forth.

The enemy organization goes by the name Mavro (Greek for "Black", the kanji read as Black God Army) and one of them - who appears to be connected to Haiji's past - raids the scene for the chapter's finale... so it's gonna be 2 Hungry Jokers with their Eurekas (Haiji & Alan) VS. 1 Black God!
Others are free to disagree, but I for one see some improvement here and start enjoying the series for what it is and what it could turn out to be. (Kinda like what Divinenega said.)

Hope to finish the TL for the chapter tomorrow, but I can't promise anything. (Plus, one of the cleaners for the series [who also provides us with HQ raws] is still MIA, god knows when we can launch a proper release without him...)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

This chapter was what I needed. It pushed the series that inch further to become something I care about. The Joker stuff should give this series a proper purpose
 

SubliminalInsanity

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
276
Reaction score
14
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

I'm new to this series and just finished the latest translated chapter about a half hour ago. I wasn't sure about this at first, but certain elements have caught my interest.

A few hints that Tabata leaves, in two or three of the chapters thus far, that makes me feel like this series can get better as it builds is within the main protagonist himself.

Such as the imprint Ragins sees before he dies, or the shady conversation that the "boss" and Mira have.

I look forward in seeing what direction Tabata will take us in using this, and how Haiji and company will uncover the world of science in the pursuit of revealing his past.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Urgh, it's a shame that RL-related stuff keeps interrupting with our releases... I already got scripts for all the chapters done but there's just always getting something in our way. One time there's a cleaner MIA, the other time it's a proofreader or redrawer, but it can't be helped.

I just hope people still bother to read Kiss Edited Mangas releases even if they have to wait a little. The speed Edited Mangas that are floating around all over the net are just so off in numerous passages. Honest to God, it's more than often that translations are plain wrong or implied meanings and subleties are completely neglected...

So for your own sake of enjoying the series I'd recommend you to check out Kiss Scans versions! :nod

From what I heard the guys are going for a double release tomorrow, closing the gap a little. I'll make sure to edit here and leave a short notice for everybody who might be interested. : )

--

Other than that, I still find the series to be somewhat enjoyable. The other Hungry Joker members, no matter how much of a stereotype they might be, are all kinda nice and add variety to the cast:
We have the seemingly cool and unshaken rival (with a nice discrepancy in regard to his inner emotions) [Alan], the jolly and cheerful Loli [Mira], and a spoiled and haughty Tsundere [Vivienne].

Still keeping my fingers crossed that the series will pick up in the rankings and avoid getting canned all too soon.

---------- Post added February 06, 2013 at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was February 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

Finally got my scripts for chapters 9 and 10 proofed and was told that the scans should be ready in the next 24 hours.

Make sure to swing by. :verily
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Hnnngh! Okay, yeah, a gender-fluid character is basically all I needed to start liking this series. Why am I so fickle?!

Although for real, latest chapter felt like a completely different series. More of the fun, less of the D.Gray-Man
 

redcorpse

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
40
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
chapter 19 raws out: http://raw.senmanga.com/Hungry_Joker/19

chitose is apparently an eureka user.
is the guy using two eurekas?! haiji is mortally (?) / severely wounded
chitose activates her eureka. judging from the last pages (also last chapter said it was related to landsteiner who discovered that blood could be separated into groups) it is probably some blood related skill

im so happy chitose will probably become powerful :)

---------- Post added April 09, 2013 at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was March 29, 2013 at 08:04 AM ----------

chapter 20 raws out

http://raw.senmanga.com/Hungry_Joker/20

i have to say i am severely disappointed with this chapter; you would think chitoge would gain some powers or fight, but for some reason haiji got them, not only that, but he killed the much stronger mavro with one hit, effortlessly? and next pages we have some unknown people talk and start some project

what exactly is chitoges power now? or doesnt she have any, and only served to power up haiji?

i cant help but feel that this chapter was done poorly and was rushed, the series probably got axed and is going to finish in a few chapters
 
Last edited:
Top