Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread
I mostly remember my shock, thinking "I hope Gon doesn't look like this forever, its kinda dumb looking" Its very similar to Yusuke's transformation in Yu Yu Hakusho. It's classic Shonen style to have long hair and big muscles represent a powerful transformation, I just find it silly because of the short shots. I wish it was a bit MORE beastial, or something. It's totally like I said guys my own personal artistic biased. I've come to respect it from a story perspective especially after seeing how it plays out in the Election arc. I just remember predicting "Gon is gonna power up magically and beat Pitou, if anything happens but that im happy" and it did, so while the story explains it and it had consequences I wasn't huge on it. Again I think waiting years and years to finish NGL and seeing Macho Gon just left a bad taste in my mouth. And I don't think I'm the only one since its practically become a meme amongst other HxH fans.
I've started liking NGL more and more as I reread it, when I get back to Macho gon in the viz volumes I may come around on it, these are just reason I think some people don't care for NGL as much as others. It's still my 2nd favorite part of the story, I'm just not wild on the last 3rd I guess, but I need to read it all again to judge it better.
Something I hate, is fans who don't like NGL because they think Ants are too "out of nowhere" when that couldn't be further from the truth. I adore NGL for how it builds upon the world we already have (furthering the magical beast element, introducing the outside, showing us more of what Pro Hunters can do, Netero, and seeing Gon and Killua's characters develop so much more) But some people still whine that after GI Hunter X Hunter "jumps the shark" mostly cause they just seem to dislike ants by concept for some reason, when I think they're great.
You know, in terms of playing with tropes Futurefrog, its very similar to Toguro in Yu Yu Hakusho, even though he's an antagonist, he is someone Yusuke looked up to. But his design shows how inhuman he's become and its very gross and hard to look at. I love that, I just didn't get that same shock or amazement with Macho Gon.