I think the episode was just fine. I really don;'t get why some of you think full sakuga animation (such as last episodes fight scene with Gon and Hisoka) should be in every episode and in every scene. The reason that animation is so special is because it's uncommon. That level of animation takes a lot of work and should be used at moments when it is needed. There are plenty of other animation techniques such as slow motion, standard animation, still rame emphasis, etc. I don't understand the complaint that the animation was great, but not excellent. It's like saying you didn't enjoy a pack of potato chips because there wasnt enough in there, you still liked the chips right? They still tasted good, there just wasnt enough or you. See what I'm saying? Now I'd understand complaints if the animation quality dropped dramatically (something it has not once done in the series run to date) but just because its not as good as last weeks? Didnt you see the epic animation of Hisoka chasing Gon? haha oh well, probably no use.
Btw I do think they can still fit Kite into the next episode. Here is the structure I imagine (times are rough):
1:30 - Episode begins with Gon and Killua now at Gon's house.
- Talk with Mito briefly and eat, she tries to snap license.
- They leave to adventure Whale Island.
- Gon shows Killua few places (preview seems to show them fishing) this could perhaps be a quick montage.
4:00- Killua asks Gon why he ever chose to leave Whale Island (cause its so cool right?)
- Gon reveals the backstory of Kite.
8:00- The boys discuss their goals. Gon's goal is to see his father, Killua doesnt have a goal but he will follow Gon to find it.
- Killua asks about Gon's mother, Gon says Mito is his mother. Mito is watching.
- Boys return home and Mito reveals the box, says she will tell Gon about Ging.
10:00ish - COMMERCIAL BREAK
- Mito discusses her childhood with Ging etc.
- Gon wants to know more so she tells him more, why he left etc.
16:00 - Gon and Killua try to open the box.
- They figure to use Ren on it and it opens.
- They investigate the contents of the box.
- They discover the tape and begiin to play it.
20:00 - Episode concludes with the sound of Gings voice: 'Gon, do you want to see me?'
DOOO DA DOO DA DOO DAAA HUNTINGG FOR YOUR DREAMMM!!
I think it all fits and works within that timeline roughly. Thoughtsss?