Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Time to make a massive post because I want to put in my 2 cents.

Kurapika has always been an asshole for me. Yorkshin will show that in its entirety, if Madhouse does it right. I hope they do, 'cause I'm much more used to cold!Kurapika than ticking-time-bomb-REVENGEEEE-RAWR!Kurapika. Lol. Though I'd take the latter over emo!Kurapika any day. Now that's OOC for me.
Oh yes please. I don't want any emo!characters in my HxH. In fact, any of the characters going outright emo is OOC for me.

Even when Gon got upset because he wasn't going to make it into NGL as him and Killua lost to Knuckle and Shoot.

About the subject about Kurapika and Gon being jerkasses...Well, they both are. I don't hate Kurapika, but he's my least favorite out of the main characters. Gon, Killua and Leorio make it into my top 10 favorite HxH characers whereas Kurapika is in my top 20. I'd put it something like this:

Killua >= Leorio (Leorio has 2 other characters between him and Killua) > Gon (Has maybe 5 or 6 characters between him and Leorio) >> Kurapika (in my top 20).

But, I like them all.

Out of our four mains, I think Leorio is the best comrade, and he's also the least messed up out of all of them (which maybe doesn't make him as interesting?). If I had to choose any of them to be friends with, it'd be Leorio in a heartbeat. Poor Leorio always seems to get thrown to the side.

Gon and Kurapika are both very focused individuals compared to Leorio and Killua, which I think tends to make them more self-centered and tend to ignore anything else around them, including the feelings of their friends.

Gon is selfish, and jerkass because he's focused, and I don't think he fully realizes how his actions affect his friends. I can forgive him on that.

Killua even wanted an apology for all he's done for Gon, which is a really, effing huge deal on his part since he's mentioned before he never expects an apology. And I think Gon's actions in the Chimera Ant Arc also influenced Killua's decisions to stay with Alluka instead of Gon.

On the other hand, Kurapika seems to really care about his actions if his friends get hurt because of him, and he doesn't want to involve his friends because they could get hurt. This is understandable.

But I'm still put off by his unwillingness to visit Gon in the hospital following his fight with Pitou. Maybe he's afraid everyone will want to get involved in his shit? I mean, it's like he only cares if it's his fault his friends got hurt, but if they are in the hospital, he doesn't care. I know it adds to his character, and there may be something else going on there. But until we get a better explanation for why he was ignoring Leorio's phone calls, he's further down on my list compared to the others.

By comparison, Leorio is a effing awesome friend.

Gon and Kurapika are the "seem good but have a dark side to them"

Leorio and Killua are the "seem bad but have a light side to them"
Pretty accurate, though I'd argue that Killua still shows glimpses of his dark side (ala Ant Arc), but it's masked by altruism, and Killua stepping more into the light. Killua seems less scary in comparison to Gon and Kurapika since he's, for the most part, able to detach his emotions from his kill. And unless it involves family or Gon, he's pretty emotionally stable aside from his outbursts in the Ant arc and beyond (the Ant arc was just a roller coaster of emotions in general). Killua isn't really scary, but he's intimidating. We've seen this situation with Gon and Kurapika, and how they'd act, and it makes me wonder what would happen if someone really important to Killua was killed as well.

There are, to me, at least a couple panels in the ant arc that suggest to me that Killua still enjoys killing, even if his kills aren't necessarily humans anymore

Kurapika aside who is your favorite Nostrade employee?
Hmm.... toss up between Baise and Basho for me. I just think Baise is really pretty.
And Basho is just plain awesome.

out of the employees, I didn't want Basho to die, too. I was actually getting scared there for a moment they'd kill him off :(

Heh, guess you're right. I think Madhouse is focusing on Killua's expressions a lot too. He steals the show even when he's not supposed to.
Let's face it, Killua even stole the show in the manga, too. Gon would do something cool, or just be cool because he's Gon and he's pretty awesome. Then Killua would do something and it's like. Oh man, Killua just ditched Gon to take out some fighter jets! Who cares if Gon punched an owlbeast to oblivion!

I feel like MH is focusing the story on Gon, though. Gon going overboard on the leaf test, Gon seemingly leading the pack, the narrator talking about Gon. And this makes sense as he is the protagonist. This is trivial, but we haven't gotten any Killua or Leorio hunterpedias yet. Maybe MH just likes drawing Killua more, hence his myriad of facial expressions?

Though, I give Togashi props. Usually I can't stand shounen protagonists. The fact that Gon is awesome and makes it into my top 10 HxH character list is quite the achievement.
We should get another anime to highlight Leorio now, lol.
I'd watch the crap out of that anime. Over, and over, and over again. Please, please, please Togashi-sensei, put Leorio back into the story. Eff med school, Leorio needs to be a hunter

My ranking is: Killua>Gon=Leorio>Kurapika. But i like Feitan more than Gon and Leorio
Similar, except Hisoka and Phinx is between Killua and Leorio. Then I have Netero, Kite, Pariston, Feitan, Bisuke, Morau, and then Gon. Then a few others before Kurapika.
 
Last edited:

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Yeah, that's for sure. But YS shows even more of his nature.
Not that there's any other arc that could show his true nature. :teehee

Y U NO HIGHLIGHT GON? I thought he was the main character =D
Gon would do something cool, or just be cool because he's Gon and he's pretty awesome
There ya go. Also 'cause he's already the protagonist of the series. Though I do admit, most of the time he shares or lends the spotlight with/to other characters. And like Uriel said in another thread, the main protagonist is the profession of being a Hunter. (I'm still liking the idea of that.)

HOLY... that's a long post kindredxiuxiu. Y'know, I've thought about this before. But now I'll say it here: aside from our character rankings, I feel like you and I have the same brain sometimes. Hive mind much?

Out of our four mains, I think Leorio is the best comrade, and he's also the least messed up out of all of them (which maybe doesn't make him as interesting?). If I had to choose any of them to be friends with, it'd be Leorio in a heartbeat. Poor Leorio always seems to get thrown to the side.
By comparison, Leorio is a effing awesome friend.
I see Leorio as the Badass Normal. Which explains why he's awesome and not messed up.

By the time he learns Nen, I will have meant this in comparison with the other Hunters, of course. Or maybe he's now considered a Badass Abnormal.

Let's face it, Killua even stole the show in the manga, too. Gon would do something cool, or just be cool because he's Gon and he's pretty awesome. Then Killua would do something and it's like. Oh man, Killua just ditched Gon to take out some fighter jets! Who cares if Gon punched an owlbeast to oblivion!
It's a good thing Killua is a likeable character, or else I would have been pissed off by his show-stealing. But, again, Togashi will have to really try to make me dislike on of his characters.
 
Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Moderator Notice:
PLEASE, PLEASE USE THE SPOILER TAGS. REMEMBER THERE IS NEW WATCHERS. I PUT ALMOST 10 SPOILER TAGS ALREADY.~ URIEL


Well, I liked this chapter. Now I honestly enjoy Basho a lot more. I remember when I first saw him in the Nippon version and I thought He had a lame power. I mean...I could do the same with a candle. But this version made it cool and awesome as should be.

I did not find so many good gifs. Only three. I will try to put more later if I find something else.

He spins too much.

Someone else gets the feeling of "fuck off"?
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
There ya go. Also 'cause he's already the protagonist of the series. Though I do admit, most of the time he shares or lends the spotlight with/to other characters. And like Uriel said in another thread, the main protagonist is the profession of being a Hunter. (I'm still liking the idea of that.)
HOLY... that's a long post kindredxiuxiu. Y'know, I've thought about this before. But now I'll say it here: aside from our character rankings, I feel like you and I have the same brain sometimes. Hive mind much?[/QUOTE]

Maybe Gon is the protagonist in name only? I mean, Togashi puts enough emphasis on the other characters to make them equally important to Gon to the story. At first glance, the reader thinks the story is about Gon finding Ging. Then everything else seems to happen in between. I feel like the Hunter exam was Gon's arc, Heaven's Arena shared with Gon and Killua, and now we get Kurapika's arc. And we need a Leorio arc, if that will ever happen.

GI arc shared with Gon and Killua, though the focus is put on Gon again as this also directly involved Ging. Then Ant arc comes and pretty much focuses on Gon and Killua, then Killua gets his own arc split with some focus on Leorio's compaign for the new chairman.

I'm beginning to see it as a focus on the profession of being a hunter, too.

HOLY... that's a long post kindredxiuxiu. Y'know, I've thought about this before. But now I'll say it here: aside from our character rankings, I feel like you and I have the same brain sometimes. Hive mind much?
Great minds think alike, eh? :p

I agree about Basho. I like the way this adaptation animated his abilities. This was one part where I didn't mind the OST placement.

I'd also add that I thought it was funny when Kurapika mistook Senritsu's gender, and was completely unfazed when she corrected him.
 
Last edited:

You Say

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
Heh. Yeah I take that as why you have a Thorfinn from Vinland Saga avatar. Damn good manga btw.
I love Vinland Saga because of everything it is. Since I was a little runt I adored Nordic culture and when Mr. Yukimura created manga about Vikings It was like a dream come true for me - My favourite mangaka and my favourite theme. It's dark, mature, brutal and beautiful at the same time. Yeah, it has revenge in it, but that's not the main reason why it's my most favourite manga story around. I shall skilfully (<- irony) masked this shameless offtopic in a clever conversation about Hunter x Hunter, so Uriel won't be too tempted to ban me.

We should get another anime to highlight Leorio now, lol.
This! And this again! Great idea, you should be the director of that anime.

One thing really bugs me lately. It's about Killua. That kid has no respect towards adults. I mean, in Heavens Arena arc he called Wing a "four-eyes". I'm near-sighted and I can tell you that "four-eyes" is an insult and not a nice one. So what the heck? Is that normal in Japan or something, because it just doesn't seem normal to me. Show some respect, kid! He is older and wiser than you. Not that you have fall onto your knees or lick his boots, but simple "Mr. Wing" would be nice. I'm seriously lost, does that suppose to make Killua look badass? Because to me it makes him look like an idiot and fool. You know, Gon is full of energy and he might not listen to adults sometimes but I can understand that somehow, but in Killua's case it's just pure disrespect. If he would tell that to his enemy, now that would be acceptable, but Wing is actually pretty nice guy who even teaches them for God's sake! Your opinions…?
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
this is less about hxh and more on the forum itself but I just find it kinda funny how it seems like this forum I go to talk about HxH here it's like we're all like "I think such and such" and then we're like "Ah yes I see but I can't agree because of such and such" and then "Tis true however have you considered such and such?"

Whereas another HxH forum it's more like

"I think such and such"
"screw you man!"
"no screw you!"
"guys just shut up!"
"screw everyone"
"screw togashi"
"togashi screws us"
"screw you for togashi screwing us"
"Screw all y'all"
"Can we stop saying screw and get back to the episode discussion?"
"NO! Screw YOU!"

well I think they are both good just in different ways. :)

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

I love Vinland Saga because of everything it is. Since I was a little runt I adored Nordic culture and when Mr. Yukimura created manga about Vikings It was like a dream come true for me - My favourite mangaka and my favourite theme. It's dark, mature, brutal and beautiful at the same time. Yeah, it has revenge in it, but that's not the main reason why it's my most favourite manga story around. I shall skilfully (<- irony) masked this shameless offtopic in a clever conversation about Hunter x Hunter, so Uriel won't be too tempted to ban me.



This! And this again! Great idea, you should be the director of that anime.

One thing really bugs me lately. It's about Killua. That kid has no respect towards adults. I mean, in Heavens Arena arc he called Wing a "four-eyes". I'm near-sighted and I can tell you that "four-eyes" is an insult and not a nice one. So what the heck? Is that normal in Japan or something, because it just doesn't seem normal to me. Show some respect, kid! He is older and wiser than you. Not that you have fall onto your knees or lick his boots, but simple "Mr. Wing" would be nice. I'm seriously lost, does that suppose to make Killua look badass? Because to me it makes him look like an idiot and fool. You know, Gon is full of energy and he might not listen to adults sometimes but I can understand that somehow, but in Killua's case it's just pure disrespect. If he would tell that to his enemy, now that would be acceptable, but Wing is actually pretty nice guy who even teaches them for God's sake! Your opinions…?
Killua is definitely disrespectful. But think of how he was raised. He was taught to respect one thing: power.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think Killua just doesn't acknowledge anyone with authority over him until he learns to respect them. He ran away because he didn't like being told what to do, so that probably generalizes to every other authority figure he comes across.

He acts the same way with Bisuke. Except he calls her an old hag instead of "four eyes", even when he acknowledges her as really powerful and could kick the crap out of him any day. He's probably a masochist. Or perhaps has a boy crush on her. Maybe in Wing's case, he's bitter because he lied to them?

Killua's a tsundere, so by proxy, he's probably going to be disrespectful outwardly, but inwardly deeply respect the person.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
It was a great improvement in adaptation over last week.
After two episodes which were kind of disappointing in terms of fidelity (38 and 39), this week I'm completely satisfied. Maybe the pace was a bit slow, but it didn't feel too dragged.

Even so, It's nice to see that next week they're going to return to normal pace, judging by the preview.

Kurapika's fight was well done. One again stands out the ability of Madhouse to make impresive action scenes without having the best animation.

Interesting reference to the dowsing. And it was a solid filler, very much in line with usual Togashi exposition (as the doppelganger explanation).



I don't understand the critics about the ost this week in a lot of forums.
This anime has had bad music placement in the past, and I've criticised it.
But this week was the opposite, I felt the music fit perfectly every scene.
I guess it's a subjective topic....

For last, I have contradictory feelings about Killua's outfit...
I hated it in the manga, it exceeds the acceptable weirdness :XD. So even if I appreciate the faithfulness, I'm not sure if I like it this time.

Long post in english, sorry if something is bad written.
 
Last edited:

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Killua's a tsundere, so by proxy, he's probably going to be disrespectful outwardly, but inwardly deeply respect the person.
He also says something along the lines of "Don't say such embarrassing things!" from time to time, which further shows his tsundere side. Hm, can't think of a lot of examples at the moment, but I know he says this at the start of Heaven's Arena arc just after or before they board the plane.
 
Last edited:

Keirin

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
84
Reaction score
37
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Finland
Kurapika aside who is your favorite Nostrade employee?
My favorite would probably be senritsu. She has a cool ability and she's gentle and has a bigger role than rest of the bodyguards (Kurapika not included). Baise and Basho are pretty cool too.

My favorites in main characters are Kurapika>Leorio>Gon>Killua. It would be great if Leorio had a bigger role from now on.
 

Chain Bastard

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2012
Messages
90
Reaction score
247
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
France
I like his new design. A little more feminine.

But I would see his earrings more :super
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
this is less about hxh and more on the forum itself but I just find it kinda funny how it seems like this forum I go to talk about HxH here it's like we're all like "I think such and such" and then we're like "Ah yes I see but I can't agree because of such and such" and then "Tis true however have you considered such and such?"

Whereas another HxH forum it's more like

"I think such and such"
"screw you man!"
"no screw you!"
"guys just shut up!"
"screw everyone"
"screw togashi"
"togashi screws us"
"screw you for togashi screwing us"
"Screw all y'all"
"Can we stop saying screw and get back to the episode discussion?"
"NO! Screw YOU!"
Yeah this HxH forum destroys all other forum cliches' :hip


As for the episode i didn't mind the placement of the OST's. I liked how the episode was handled and i happen to enjoy every minute of it. Although i have read the manga i still forget certain parts that are coming up. That probably adds to why i enjoy most of the episodes. The Nostalgia of remembering certain scenes once they appear.. i guess you can say. Probably the ganja helped a little to.. lol :hee
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
well his hair IS longer in the manga
It is. But you know how much people like to bitch because the 2011 adaptation isn't staying true to the 99 adaptation.
 

heron bpv

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
391
Reaction score
254
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just watched, really nice. I like the music that plays during Basho scene, is it his theme? ^^
Also, the Great Haiku presentation was neat! =D
The discrepancies with the manga always bothers me, but I still enjoyed this episode. Though I have saw some comments of you guys about they stating that Senritsu is a Enhancer, in the portuguese subs I saw no such thing. Is there any screenshot with said comment on?
 

xScar

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2012
Messages
174
Reaction score
347
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Though I have saw some comments of you guys about they stating that Senritsu is a Enhancer, in the portuguese subs I saw no such thing. Is there any screenshot with said comment on?
Melody doesn't mention her Nen type in ep40; everyone is getting Emission from the manga. The only Nen type stated in this episode is that Tocino is a Manipulator-- something that's been changed from the manga/99 series in which he was an Emitter.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Which btw, fits more than before. I think it's why I always say that Togashi kinda "fixed" nen system after Yorkshin while Chimera Arc. It makes more sense to be a manipulator rather than an emitter since the area used was small to justify an emission based technique.

And I can see why everyone sees Kurapika as a manipulator, as well.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

....And more gifs.

I guess Kurapika DOES have the earring.



I'll say it again: I LOVE how Madhouse introduces the techniques names.

And I'll punish you in the name of the moon.


Kuapika is the next top model. Look how he owns the runway.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tocino's ability uses Emission and Manipulation regardless right? I guess he could be either one to me still.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top