- Joined
- Jun 13, 2012
- Messages
- 2,153
- Reaction score
- 1,186
- Gender
- Female
- Country
-
I dunno. I know you really like that scene in the manga, mrsticky. But in my eyes, Madhouse has redeemed themselves with how they handled the Zoldyck Arc and Heaven's Arena. Yes, we got to see Hisoka vs. Kastro (eff yeah!), Hisoka vs. Gon was beautifully animated and amazing, and the characterization of the cripples was done quite well. And then there's the butler. To answer your questions, I'm glad Madhouse took the direction they did when animating these scenes.
I agree that the anime shows Hisoka as being dangerously skilled, over being psychotic, in regards to that one scene. But what Madhouse has shown us in Hisoka vs. Kastro made up for that, IMO. They could've easily censored/altered Hisoka digging into his arm to grab a card. They didn't do that, though. Sure, his blood wasn't gushing everywhere and we got pixie dust when he's arm got sliced off. But overall, I got the impression that Hisoka was that psychotic dangerous that you see in the manga when he massacres those guys in the swamp.
And Madhouse certainly didn't skirt around the issue that Hisoka is a raging battlephile. We got his characterization as it was in the manga, AND we got a little extra (i.e. Hisoka standing in front of a huge window naked).
What you said just made me realize how messed up the Zoldyck children are. Killua included.
I agree that the anime shows Hisoka as being dangerously skilled, over being psychotic, in regards to that one scene. But what Madhouse has shown us in Hisoka vs. Kastro made up for that, IMO. They could've easily censored/altered Hisoka digging into his arm to grab a card. They didn't do that, though. Sure, his blood wasn't gushing everywhere and we got pixie dust when he's arm got sliced off. But overall, I got the impression that Hisoka was that psychotic dangerous that you see in the manga when he massacres those guys in the swamp.
And Madhouse certainly didn't skirt around the issue that Hisoka is a raging battlephile. We got his characterization as it was in the manga, AND we got a little extra (i.e. Hisoka standing in front of a huge window naked).
I would've preferred the heart get crushed, but I think both versions drove the point home. Killua is a ruthless assassin, who is also a kid. But your analysis here is pretty spot on!Take the change in Killua's heart scene, for example. I like the manga version a lot, but I kinda prefer the way Madhouse did it. With the manga version, all I was thinking was "Woah, there's a kid assassin here. That's cool. He's not afraid to kill anyone. Oh - oh my, did he just crush the guy's heart? This kid is dangerous. Gon should watch out for him. Yay, characterization!"
With Madhouse's version, I was thinking something like, "Hey, why isn't he crushing it? Wait, is that really Jones' heart beating? It's still beating? When is he going to crush it? The silence is suffocating me, the heartbeat is the only thing I can hear - the only focus. Oh, the way Jones looks at his heart is - oh, he died. His heart stopped beating, and he died. Oh god. Hey, Killua's putting the heart back. Cheekily. He's not just an assassin, but a kid assassin who likes playing with other people's hearts. Literally. Yay characterization!"
The manga made me think of the assassin part of 'child assassin' (implies that Killua is dangerous because he won't hesitate to kill anyone), while the anime made me think of the child part of 'child assassin' (which is more disturbing, frankly). Same thing, different focus. I find Madhouse's version much more tasteful, and I'm incorporating that to my head canon even though it wasn't the way the manga did it.
What you said just made me realize how messed up the Zoldyck children are. Killua included.
Last edited:

