Hunter x Hunter RPG: Sign-up & Discussion

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, everyone's replied way sooner than I expected!! :D Hope everything was clear in that first part. Sorry it was such a wall; they won't all be like that (hopefully). Although, the next one probably will be. :P

My laptop's still on the blink so I can only do short posts except when I'm in the library (no way I'm typing out walls of text on my Ipod. :P). I'm there now, and I'll be back later to read through everyone's posts properly (only skim-read them so far) and plan my next post. It's my birthday this weekend and I've got friends staying so I won't be able to get online much again unfortunately, but I'll post by Monday at the latest again.

I've drawn pictures for most of the characters I've come up with, at least so far. They're nowhere near as good as NFW's, but hopefully they at least give you an idea fo what people look like. I'll try and upload them in the upcoming days (hopefully the uni library has a scanner and I can work out how to use it). :P

EDIT: Also, apologies for the typos in my post; by the time I'd noticed them I'd posted and I was fraid it would be beyond the capabilities of my laptop to let me edit it. :P
 
Last edited:

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, good start! Hopefully we go on with the story soon!

I have a question ... how will combat work?
 

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
If it's PC vs NPC, then I'll control the NPC. The player involved and I will go back and forth posting our actions. I'll have decided the strength of the NPC before the battle begins (so they won't suddenly jump up in strength halfway through), and judge which actions are successful based on the relative strengths of the characters involved. Strategy will also be a major part of it; try finding realistic weaknesses in your opponent's techniques and fighting style to increase your chance of success, or try taking advantage of the surroundings. Charging straight in may work sometimes, but if it looks like I've made your opponent of a strength that you can't beat them through brute force alone you'll need to change up.

Don't worry about winning too much though; the point of this game for me, the GM, isn't too "beat" you, so I'm not going to put you up against anyone who just whoops your ass no matter what you try. In fact, I think whoever you go up, your characters will have a chance of winning of beating them if they come up with the right strategy. I'll try and make it so that opponents provide a challenge without being impossible to beat (or to at least fight evenly with).

In most cases, I'll also provide you with a brief guide to the strength of an opponent so you have an idea of what level of strength to expect. For example, within the group of nen users you'll fight in this Hunt, the top tier fighters amongst them are stronger than your characters individually, but not so much stronger that you can't beat them without the right combination of luck, strategy and circumstance. The reverse is true of their weaker members; they'll be weaker than your characters, but they may beat you in a one-on-one fight if in the righrt circumstances.

There may also be times when I let you, the players, control NPCs. This will generally be against opponents who are much weaker than your characters. On these occassions you're free to do as you like with them, so use it as an opportunity to showcase your bad-assery! (I'll tell you when you can control NPCs.)

I hope that makes some kind of sense. I know it's a kinda vague explanation...
 

NoFreakingWay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
249
Reaction score
61
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fiji
I'm excited to see thatguy3331 and Tame's concept art! Just tell me if you still want me to draw a version of a character you've already drawn guys.

The story sounds really good and I think it would open up a lot of plot possibilities.

Tame, is it possible that you'd recycle some of the guys from the nexgear RPG? Like Coba or Dunk or whatnot? Fiorella Portas would be the one I'd like to see return to be honest.

Oh yeah, guys, if you were interested as to what those nexgear HxH RPG characters looked like, I still have them at photobucket. Just press "previous" from the first pic:


Oh and uh, heron hasn't posted yet on the RPG thread itself, huh?
 

Zvane

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2012
Messages
97
Reaction score
21
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I really hate you guys....I can't even draw decent stick figures
 

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome pics, NFW! I still have them all saved on my laptop.

Some of the characters from the old RPG may turn up; one will return in this Hunt (who you should be glad to see return, NFW. :)). A couple more may return in the Roc Hunt if we were to do that one, and as I'm thinking up other Hunts I'll consider using them. Gotta any other requests besides Fiorella that you'd like to see again?

Nah, heron hasn't posted yet but it doesn't matter too much; to be honest I didn't think anyone would post for days! I'm not playing host this weekend so I'll have more free time to write the next post (in fact I'm gonna go home now and do it). I'll post it after heron's posted or on Monday, whichever comes first.

I'll also try and upload my pics on Monday (depends on me, a complete technophobe, being able to work out how to use a scanner).
 

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I'm liking the picture, thatguy!

I've posted again; I was originally planning it to be longer, and have it include the entire explanation of the mission Dietrich needs help with, but I've cut it short so your characters can respond if they want. Also it'll give heron more time to jump in if he's still planning to play. The next big update'll be on Monday and that one will include a full explanation.

I've also added character bios to the very post of this thread for quick reference.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Let's make something clear:
Moderator Notice:
IF YOU USE ANY PICTURE FROM THE INTERNET, PLEASE (AND I'M REINFORCING THE PLEASE) QUOTE AND LINK TO THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR ALL THE TIME YOU USE IT.~ Uriel
 

thatguy3331

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
588
Reaction score
362
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's make something clear:
Moderator Notice:
IF YOU USE ANY PICTURE FROM THE INTERNET, PLEASE (AND I'M REINFORCING THE PLEASE) QUOTE AND LINK TO THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR ALL THE TIME YOU USE IT.~ Uriel
ok, sorry bout that, its fixed... I think...
 

NoFreakingWay

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
249
Reaction score
61
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fiji
@ Zvane

Hatin' is bad

@ thatguy

Denis' hair takes me back... it reminds me of those old anime and manga. They used that hairdo a lot on the good guys, mainly the protagonist.

@ Tame

Still waitin' for those concept drawings, lol

@ Uriel

Did I do the right thing, though?
 

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Suddenly, a familiar smell caught his nose. All creatures, especially humans, had pretty unique odors coming from their body. This smell seemed familiar, but it was being masked by one thing forced upon Lukannon by these cities - soap (why Mother's water was not enough he would never understand). He was an examiner at that test 3 years ago, but he would never remember the man's name. Not wanting to have to make small talk with two people in a row, thinking of how to thank Sora (that was it!) was difficult enough, Lukannon tried his best to avoid the man until later
@Hunter: When I said that Thos recognised Lukannon and Sora from the hunter exam three years ago, I meant that he recognised them as fellow candidates, not that he was an examiner for them. Sorry, I should have made it clearer in my post. My bad! ^_^'


I'll be trying to upload the pictures later today. Apparently one of my housemates has a scanner.
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just to make sure, you do know the conversion of jeni - dollar, right?

Not sure how much the dollar is worth now compared to back then, but my volume of the Heavens Arena that was released in 2008-2009 over here (IIRC) says that 1 jeni = 0,008 dollars (approximately, I'm converting it from Brazillian's real. In the actual manga it said it was worth 0.014 reais, which is 0.008 dollars now).

That would make the 2 million jeni offer about 16 thousand dollars.
 

Zvane

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2012
Messages
97
Reaction score
21
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Just to make sure, you do know the conversion of jeni - dollar, right?

Not sure how much the dollar is worth now compared to back then, but my volume of the Heavens Arena that was released in 2008-2009 over here (IIRC) says that 1 jeni = 0,008 dollars (approximately, I'm converting it from Brazillian's real. In the actual manga it said it was worth 0.014 reais, which is 0.008 dollars now).

That would make the 2 million jeni offer about 16 thousand dollars.
Actually, since a Jeni is pretty much a Yen, it's aprox 24,000 dollars
 

Hunter2323

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
65
Reaction score
19
Gender
Male
Country
China
@Hunter: When I said that Thos recognised Lukannon and Sora from the hunter exam three years ago, I meant that he recognised them as fellow candidates, not that he was an examiner for them. Sorry, I should have made it clearer in my post. My bad! ^_^'


I'll be trying to upload the pictures later today. Apparently one of my housemates has a scanner.
Looking forward to the art!

Also, I edited the part about Thos.
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Actually, since a Jeni is pretty much a Yen, it's aprox 24,000 dollars
Yeah, a Jeni is 0.9 Yen. The information in the volume over here about the value of the money here is probably outdated, so it's probably something closer to 24,000 dollars.
 

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I went with J1 being the same as 1 yen. So I converted £15,000 into yen and then rounded it up (it was nearly 2 mill).

Off to update now!!

Heron still hasn't posted....
 

Tame

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
684
Reaction score
140
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Lol, maybe. Well he has until everyone leaves the building for his character to join them; there's still time.
 

heron bpv

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
391
Reaction score
254
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ouch, sorry guys, forgot to post here. Got too distracted during carnival and now I'm with my hands full doing a full backup and an iminent format on my computer (it's about time xD).
So, I'm just lefting the game. Have fun you all! o/
 
Top