I'll follow you into the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Pretty much.

From what I've read online, most people said that JRPG is going downhill. I don't know where he read those reviews praising JRPG. :oh
The Western gaming world pretty much minimizes most JRPGs for being uninspiring and not changing much in the last 25+ years in the way of gameplay. I mean, I guess that's true but they can still be good games...it's like people bashing Nintendo for being "kiddy"

That being said, there are a bunch of games in Japan that would never do well here. Things like Train Simulators, Dating Sims......so the cultural differences have to do with it too.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Pretty much.

I remembered reading a review for Tales of Graces f in the Playstation magazine and the reviewer was bashing it b/c it was similar to the previous games in the series (aka the setting). He wanted it to be futuristic like Mass Effect and I was thinking, "Really? If they did that, then it wouldn't be a Tales game!" :fail

Don't forgot those crazy moe games like the big boobies ninja 3DS game (Senran Kagura). >.>

Luckily, Atlus, NISA, and XSeed still bring the niche games over here.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Boobies :teehee


There's too much comparing games and not allowing them to be their own thing. The only Tales game I ever owned was Tales of Symphonia and I enjoyed it a lot...so I don't know. There's a constant requirement among critics for innovation, which is fine. But there isn't enough appreciation for what WORKS. That's why you see a lot of retro-inspired games since the internet and console gaming has become more intertwined. It's not really profitable to order pressings of all these games of course.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Yeah, the developer who made the game got the idea by thinking, "Hmm... what would I like to see in 3D? I know, BOOBIES!" :XD

That's the problem I think game developers have. They want to draw more gamers to play their game, but at the same time, they don't want to risk alienating those who already play it. IIRC, that's why new games are harder to sell compared to video game sequels.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Yeah and new games on the whole have less and less replayability and aren't as challenging -_-;
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

The point here is story. Some franchise are famous for their particular gameplay so it's fine to (try to) keep what made them likeable in the first place.

I didn't play many japanese videogames but for me it seems that Mario and Zelda always have the exact same kind of story for example, and journalist doesn't seem to be annoyed by that while they seem to be more demanding with western's franchise. But yeah there are more and more bad review about japanese's game industry nowadays.

I've never played Bayonetta nor I have read its story so I don't get his reference.

Yeah and new games on the whole have less and less replayability and aren't as challenging -_-;
Problem is that a big majority of players don't finish their games. Even easy. So really it doesn't push the developpers to put much effort (even if I disagree with that kind of attitude).

The games from Steam (online distributor) are the extrem example, by selling so many games so cheap, people are buying shitload of them but don't even play more than a few.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

I doubt it has to do with people not completing games. It has more to do with wanting a larger audience and making the game more accessible IMO.



You can say whatever you want about Nintendo franchises. The fact remains is that the games are never bad or disappointing.
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

I doubt it has to do with people not completing games. It has more to do with wanting a larger audience and making the game more accessible IMO.
I just said that it also has an influence. Anyway, both cases are linked. Larger audience also means bigger ratio of people not finishing the game despite making it more accessible.

You can say whatever you want about Nintendo franchises. The fact remains is that the games are never bad or disappointing.
I don't know why you're telling me that. It's not like I'm attacking it. The point is story. I didn't judge the overall quality of their games.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Oh I didn't mean you specifically Gats, I meant the royal "you" :XD

Big Lebowski reference...

In any case I should have said "they". The story is simplistic in most Nintendo games...the narrative isn't as detailed or multi-layered. But if that's done well (like in Zelda) that doesn't make it any less engrossing. I could say the same thing about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus even though they aren't Nintendo games. They're sort of in the same mold, despite not looking like a "Nintendo" game.

But I guess in the case of there maybe being a double-standard, it really comes down to gameplay.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

^Pretty much. I think game play is the #1 factor. Story is mostly important in RPG though.

Anyway, I almost forgot about this work story.

6th Grade, Spec. Ed. Lang. Arts class

The students were reading a packet about skydiving and answering questions about it. One of the questions asked them to write at least 5 sentences on whether or not they would like to skydive.

Boy: *turning his packet in* I'm done.
Me: Let me check your paragraph first.
Me: *reading it* No, because I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to.

*handing it back*
Me: You need to redo it. I want the reasons WHY you don't want to go skydiving.
Boy: But I did! Why are you trying to torture me?
---------- Post added August 20, 2012 at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was August 19, 2012 at 08:42 PM ----------

Another story~

6th Grade, Sp. Ed. Lang. Arts class
I was going over an English packet with the students. We were reviewing silent letters in word (e.g. in "ghost", the h is silent).
Me: Okay, what is a seven letters word that starts with a "c" and ends with a silent "n"?
Girl: Oh, I know! Condom!
Everyone: Condom!?
Me: Do you mean "condemn"?
Girl: Yeah, that was what I meant.
Me: *thinking* I know what's in your mind. :teehee
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

LOL You can if you want, but beware that the kids can be aggravating sometimes. :XD
 

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
2,659
Reaction score
5,929
Gender
Female
Country
Buy Moria
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

come on...kids have the most beautiful creative minds....it's awesomely funny being around them...especially if you're a patient person -_-;





.....am I right Riki???:derp
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Not if they don't want to do their work :bored

Oh, I almost forgot this story

The classroom was pretty cold. Unfortunately I couldn't find the thermostat to change the temp.
Boy: Man, it's cold in here!
Me: Sorry, but I can't find the thermostat. You'll just have to learn how to deal with it.
Boy: How?
Me: Use mind over matter. Tell yourself, "I'm not cold. I'm not cold" and you should be fine.
Girl: I'M FREEZING! I'M FREEZING! I'M FREEZING!
Me: Not like that!
:XD

Oh, I have nine pages for Ch. 7 right now :whoo
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

:chopper
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

Hey, goldb!

How's your trip so far? ^^

Oh, I met the long-term sub today so I was helping her out. The students, of course, noticed and decided to ask me about her.

Girl #1: Ms. N, who is that lady following you?
Me: She will be your new substitute teacher until [teacher's name] comes back.
Girl #2: Is she your daughter?
Me: What!? No, she's not. If that was so, then I would have her at a VERY young age.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

So many stories! "Condom" :lmao

I'm back from my trip now, but can't sleep cos I've travelled all day and my body can't gimme any more sleep :bored

So there's a long-term sub for your class? why didn't they offer you the position since you're already covering? :oh makes more sense...
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

How was the trip? :amuse

Yeah, they have a first-year teacher teach the class now. Luckily, I have another job today. ^^
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

How was the trip? :amuse

Yeah, they have a first-year teacher teach the class now. Luckily, I have another job today. ^^
It was awesome, camped out a few nights, took in some amazing views and roadtripped for a few days. I really enjoyed the guys' company. Put up some pics on my FB if you wanna check em out~

Where did you work today?
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell

At another middle school. I was a 7th grade intervention specialist today.

Oh, I now have 11.5 pages for Ch. 7. ^^
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top