“Don’t move.”
Brynne felt the tip of the blade poking her spine and complied. Then the strangely familiar voice ordered, “Now I want you to walk slowly to the center of the room without moving past by the windows and not a sound. You got it?”
Gulping nervously, she nodded and walked to the spot. The assassin followed behind her; his blade still pressed hard against her body that she was afraid that she would get stabbed if she did not move any faster. Finally, the man said, “That’s good enough. Now I want you to turn around slowly and don’t say a word.”
She did as she was told and turned to face her would-be killer. The man stood a foot away from her, and she estimated that he was only a few inches taller than she. His body was thin but muscular. He looked at her with kind but sad hazel eyes. That was when she noticed that his sword no longer pointing at her but at his side instead. There was something about him that bothered her for some reason. That was when it dawned on her on his identity.
“What are you doing here, Darrin?” she demanded – no, nearly shouted – at the man who murdered her father. Her anger has quickly replaced her fear.
Darrin gave her a panic-stricken look and quickly tried to calm her down. Good, let him feel fear for a change, she thought with satisfaction.
“Quiet down!” he hissed. “I just want to talk to you.”
Glaring at him, she demanded, “And why should I? Give me one reason why I should not call out the guards to come here and arrest you, murderer!”
“Please let me explain myself,” Darrin begged. “Just hear me out. Then you can decide on what to do next. Please, Cat.”
Cat. It has been a long time since someone called her by her former name. Brynne sighed and relented, “All right, but I will only give you FIVE minutes. If you go over even by a minute, I’ll start screaming.”
Darrin didn’t wait any time. “Yes, it’s true that I murdered King Melghan,” he began and she nodded; of course, she was there when it happened, “but I was set up.”
“Set up?” The princess narrowed her eyes at him and crossed her arms. “What do you mean ‘set up’?”
“My informant told me that your life was endangered,” he said quietly. “He told me that someone was hired to kill you and it would take place at the balcony during the celebration. He claimed that you would be lured to that place and when you least expect it, you will be killed. When I heard that, I rushed over here to warn you. However, by the time I arrived here, I saw that you were at predetermined place and panicked when I saw a man approaching you. I assumed that it was the assassin and panicked. That was when I…”
He didn’t need to finish the last sentence. Brynne could still remember vividly of that terrible night. Her father was so happy that she has accepted the fact that she was his daughter and went over to hug her. He was within an arm’s length when an arrow pierced through his neck, killing him. Stunned, she looked down to see Darrin staring back at her. The way she looked at him must have told him that he has done a terrible mistake because he has a horrified look on his face and fled before she could scream.
“And where is this ‘informant’ so we can verify what you’re telling me is true?” she asked coolly.
He sighed ruefully. “It was Daggit,” he replied, “and you know what happened to him. Anyway, after I fled, I rushed over there to confront him. However, he was already dead when I got there. That was when I realized that I was going to be the scapegoat so that’s why I fled. You got to believe me.”
She didn’t answer immediately. Her head was full of more questions than answers. Finally she said sarcastically, “It’s very convenient that your only proof is dead. Now is there anything else before I raise the alarm?”
“I never thought you would become so cruel,” he mentioned sadly. “I had hoped that you would be more understanding, but I have been greatly mistaken. I guess the girl I thought I knew was not like I have expected.”
“Understanding?” she snapped. “Why should I be sympathetic to a killer? You ruined my life when you killed the only family that I have! I hope you suffer before you get executed for your crime or better yet, why don’t you kill yourself just to make everyone’s lives less miserable?”
As soon as she said it, the princess regretted it when she saw her former friend’s pained look. “Don’t I already suffer enough? Do you actually think I want this?” he whispered bitterly. “My family’s reputation has been tarnished, and my family has been stripped of its title because of what I did. My family was either executed or exiled and I can’t even go see them because I don’t want to endanger them. The people whom I thought were my friends abandoned me or tried to turn me in just to get honor for themselves. My name is reviled, and I am the most hated man in the country. I have to use an alias and have to be on alert all of the times so I won’t be caught by the police. I even had to change my corestan so that the isobots couldn’t track me down. If I could turn back in time, I would change what I did, but I can’t, can I?”
“No, you can’t,” she agreed, and silence filled the room. Brynne didn’t know what to do. A part of her wanted to alert the guards, but another side of her wanted to hold Darrin in her arms. Why does she feel this way? Why does Darrin always seem to have this effect on her?
Darrin broke the silent with his sigh. She glanced at him and saw him brushed his brown hair back with his hand. That was when she noticed that there were heavy bags underneath his eyes. He must have been so exhausted from the ordeal. “You have grown lovelier than I have imagined,” he admitted sheepishly. “You know, I always wondered if the little tomboy who loved to climb trees and performed daring tricks still exists.”
She wanted to tell him that the tomboy was still here, but she was closed off because of what she must do. Instead she found herself saying softly, “Catarina Gretchlin is dead. She has been dead ever since that day. I’m now Princess Brynne from the House of Gowan.”
He gave her a rueful laugh. “I didn’t expect you to be so gullible,” he muttered. Before she could argue with him, he continued, “If King Poleria were alive instead of his brother, would you have accepted that you were Princess Westerly instead? You just believe every word that people tell you without thinking about what is being said. But then, who am I to criticize? Look at the mess I am in now.”
She knew that Darrin was right even though the accusation still stung. “What are you going to do now?” she inquired, wishing to change the topic.
He hesitated before he answered, “I’m still going to find evidence to prove that I was tricked… if you allow me to leave, of course.”
Before she could reply, someone knocked on the door, startling both of them. “Brynne! Brynne!” her fiancé called out. “Are you all right? You’ve been taking too long in there so everyone’s worried.”
Was she gone THAT long? Brynne shouted hastily, “I’m sorry, but I was having difficulty… with my dress. Don’t worry though. I managed to fix the problem so tell the others that I will be coming down soon.”
That was when she felt the wind blowing into the room. Turning around, she found the bedroom window opened and Darrin was nowhere in sight.