Is Ace really Luffy's brother? | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Is Ace really Luffy's brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triniman121

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
well isn't all people with D in their name are all related.

i think i read somewhere oda was going to draw luffy family on some volume?

i could be wrong though

OP_overlord

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
that would be cool and they are all related but not closely that would mean that his cousin was a giant they are related in the sense that they are from the void century and the will of D.

Eyefarted2

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
yes. theres just too much in common for them to not be brothers

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, they're really similar in alot of things. I just remember Ace's strange appearance in the Restaurant in Alabasta Arc xD. But there are also some differences. Ace really behaves more like an adult than Luffy but both are serious when it comes to a fight and treat it with respect.
And just becasue ones are sublings it doesn't mean they have to be similar to each other in all kind of cases.
I guess he's his brother. Why should Luffy lied back there in Alabasta when he told his friends of Ace after Ace had saved them of Smoker.

Anti-panda

Reaction score
Country
United States
Schwindelmagier said:
Yeah, they're really similar in alot of things. I just remember Ace's strange appearance in the Restaurant in Alabasta Arc xD. But there are also some differences. Ace really behaves more like an adult than Luffy but both are serious when it comes to a fight and treat it with respect.
And just becasue ones are sublings it doesn't mean they have to be similar to each other in all kind of cases.
I guess he's his brother. Why should Luffy lied back there in Alabasta when he told his friends of Ace after Ace had saved them of Smoker.
Yeah thier similar ... yeah thier different... That's what you call being siblings. You share Dna but your still not the same person.

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's what I said in a long text and you put it in some simple words, anti-panda-kun ^___^. So, it's easier to understand what I meant, thanks. xD

mugen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Anti-panda said:
Yeah thier similar ... yeah thier different... That's what you call being siblings. You share Dna but your still not the same person.
yeah but there might be a reason for the different names unless Eiichiro is just playing...
anyways I still believe they are brothers but at the same time there is a reason for the different surname

dfcarolinaguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bet ace and luffy are like cousins

OP_overlord

Reaction score
Country
United States
im going with mugen they are bothers but the different surnames will come into play later

Anti-panda

Reaction score
Country
United States
Given the responses of the crew when they found out ace and luffy we're brothers. (Genuine disbelief that they were even related.) I don't think that he was using a generic Oni-san..
Plus look at garp. Narcolepsy .. it's a regular problem for both ace and garp. Luffy doesn't count cause he was wiped out during his little fight with garp. He's not a narcoleptic.

ANBU4U

Reaction score
Country
United States
The simplist explanation is that they're half-brothers....I see no reason to look much further into the difference in names than that.

They have alot in common, the narcalepsy for one, and physical features which are the most telling. Despite being built a bit more muscular (age can explain that) they have very similar lines, especially around the face.

Theri could be a resason he changed his name though, the most likely being that he didnt want to be associated with his famous relatives....thats what I'd do if I wanted to make my own name and I had famous family. Luffy didnt do the same because he was clueless about his entire family, he wasnt even sure what his grandpa did in the navy.

Zoro-kun

Reaction score
Country
Norway
did u guys know that "portgas" backwards is "monkey" ?? so acctually he's named monkey d. ace

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
From where did you get that? O_o

Dragon04

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think they are brothers but only half brothers.

Freakzin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
dude don't leave us hangin here, is Portgas backwards really Monkey??? HOWW??? I can't Sleep at night!!!!!

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm....personally, I've never really doubted that Luffy and Ace are brothers. They say they're brothers, and that's all I really need for proof.

There could be many reasons for them having different family names~ and many interesting ideas have already been posted here on that ^^ The most likely to me is that Dragon is not Ace's real father, but since Garp says he trained both of the boys, I think it's equally possible that Ace just decided to change it. ANBU4U brings up a good point about him wanting to change it due to his famous, and depending on your perspective, infamous, relatives.

But even if they're half-brothers or not even related by blood at all (which I doubt, because to me they look very similar), as long as they consider each other to be brothers, then they are, imho. So in the end, having different family names or the degree to which they are related by blood doesn't really mean a whole lot to me, I suppose ^^

on a side note, to the best of my knowledge Portgas does not spell Monkey backwards, so I think this theory can be put to rest :amuse

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They act the same, have the same D qualities, act brotherly, and consider each other brothers without thinking or showing otherwise. Ace also looks like Luffy, so I don't see the problem there. And I heard somewhere that "Portgas" was a nick-name of Ace's so I dunno if you can count that as a separate surname.

_D.

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Somalia
Turns out, they aren't blood-related

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Those this really proves they actually are not blood related though? It does prove beyond doubt they are not brothers but it does not prove there is no connection whatsoever between luffy and roger. It also does not explain why luffy actually somewhat resembles roger and ace(specially ace)

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
they didn't look as brothers (I mean by the appearances)

Status
Not open for further replies.