Mag Talk Jump SQ (Shueisha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Even if SQ is still male dominant, it's still doing better than other magazines. I still have to give it some credit!
That's true. I think SQ contains most series with high or decent tank sales. Even, I think the average sales for overall series are even higher than Sunday.

---------- Post added February 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was February 10, 2012 at 01:34 AM ----------

It is confirmed that the important announcement is nothing to do with To Love-Ru Darkness.

The important announcement is Jump SQ.19 will be changed from a seasonal magazine to a bimonthly magazine. It means the next issue will be release on April 19 (not May 19).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's interesting. SQ.19 must have done fairly well as a seasonal. Maybe someday Shueisha will end up like Kodansha, with five monthly shounen magazines.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
SQ.19 must have done fairly well as a seasonal.
I think SQ.19 did fairly well, since two series moved to SQ and three series have decent tank sale (and it'll become four series) for a seasonal magazine (I think).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm assuming circulation was decent, by seasonal magazine standards. I am not aware of any seasonal magazines that serialize manga, I don't really have any basis for comparisons for tank sales. There might be another example but all of the seasonal magazines I can think of contain one shots and bangai.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I'm assuming circulation was decent, by seasonal magazine standards. I am not aware of any seasonal magazines that serialize manga, I don't really have any basis for comparisons for tank sales. There might be another example but all of the seasonal magazines I can think of contain one shots and bangai.
The other currently ongoing seasonal magazine that I know are: Itan, MC☆Akushizu, Gekiden, Comic Kai, Comic Zero-Sum Zoukan Ward, Comic Prism, Corocoro G, Nemesis, Big Comic Zoukango, Macross Ace, and Waai!.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't know any of those magazines well enough to know which, if any, include serials and which are all (or mostly) one shots. Jump Next is the only seasonal I know well, obviously.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Jump SQ.19 Winter Issue Cover
 

calimike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
347
Reaction score
417
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jump SQ.19 Spinoff Magazine Goes Bimonthly
The Winter issue of Shueisha's Jump SQ.19 magazine is announcing on Saturday that the magazine will switch from a quarterly schedule to every other month. The first issue on the new schedule will ship on April 19. The magazine is a spinoff of Jump Square magazine. It launched last May with the return of Yasuhiro Nightow's Kekkai Sensen, as well as Kentaro Yabuki's adaptation of Tomohiro Matsu and Peco's Mayoi Neko Overrun! light novel series.
http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/4113457.html
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-7389.html
 

gananime

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2011
Messages
105
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
India
Hi.
Is To Love Ru Darkness a sequel of To Love Ru? I heard it's a spinoff. Basically what I want to know is can I start with it directly without reading To Love Ru (will I understand the story,characters?)
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hi.
Is To Love Ru Darkness a sequel of To Love Ru? I heard it's a spinoff. Basically what I want to know is can I start with it directly without reading To Love Ru (will I understand the story,characters?)
It's not so much a spin off as it is a sequel. It starts off directly after the first series end.
You might want to read a decent amount of the first series to get familiar with the characters.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@gananime:
And at the same time its not blatantly important to have read To Love Ru, especially since TLR Darkness is just a continuation which basically CHANGES 90% of what TLR was about, and anyway TLR has so little development that you might as well read the second part... To Love Ru is all about the fan-service, anyway, its not even funny (Or at least I never remember an instance when I laughed at one of its jokes) nor does it has a moving plot.. So IMO you can skip to Darkness and nothing will happen.
 

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@gananime:
And at the same time its not blatantly important to have read To Love Ru, especially since TLR Darkness is just a continuation which basically CHANGES 90% of what TLR was about, and anyway TLR has so little development that you might as well read the second part... To Love Ru is all about the fan-service, anyway, its not even funny (Or at least I never remember an instance when I laughed at one of its jokes) nor does it has a moving plot.. So IMO you can skip to Darkness and nothing will happen.
i remember seeing the first three episodes of the anime i thought it was decent but i vastly prefer the authors other series black cat (which really needs a sequel....)
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@OPN:
Yeah but the ass and tities is where Yabuki is now (And he does a great job :D), anyway I think a continuation of Black Cat could happen on SQ, especially if Black Cat has a kanzenban edition in the future (Which I think it will have, after the Prince of Tennis season 3 ends, in about a year)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
@OPN:
Yeah but the ass and tities is where Yabuki is now (And he does a great job :D), anyway I think a continuation of Black Cat could happen on SQ, especially if Black Cat has a kanzenban edition in the future (Which I think it will have, after the Prince of Tennis season 3 ends, in about a year)
In order for Yabuki to start sequel of Black Cat, then he has to finish Darkness, first. However, since Darkness is currently one of highest selling series in SQ, I think Yabuki going to stick with this for a very long a while.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
How much before it gets an anime/OVA? Me thinks Darkness should get one either this year or the next.
Also is it me or SQ has like an anime adaptation every half year?

Mayoi Neko (April 2010)
Shiki (July 2010)
Ao No Exorcist (April 2011)
Shin Prince of Tennis (January 2012)
Bimbougami (??? 2012)

Me thinks either Ultimo, Embalming or Darkness should get an anime. Darkness is the most likely, though.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
How much before it gets an anime/OVA? Me thinks Darkness should get one either this year or the next.
Also is it me or SQ has like an anime adaptation every half year?

Mayoi Neko (April 2010)
Shiki (July 2010)
Ao No Exorcist (April 2011)
Shin Prince of Tennis (January 2012)
Bimbougami (??? 2012)

Me thinks either Ultimo, Embalming or Darkness should get an anime. Darkness is the most likely, though.
I don't think SQ gets anime every half a year. There are anime rush for SQ because the past series start to get enough chapters to become animation, that's about it. Remember that SQ is still young magazine, so it took quite a while for SQ series to become an anime. I think you have to about minimum of 2 years for the series to get an anime (like Shonen Jump).

Ultimo and Embalming probably get an anime in future; Darkness is definitely going to get an anime, but it doesn't have enough chapters for anime-adaptation. However, I want an anime-adaptation for Kure-nai; last one mostly focused on the novel, itself, so I want an anime-adaptation that follows manga's story.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
How much before it gets an anime/OVA? Me thinks Darkness should get one either this year or the next.
Also is it me or SQ has like an anime adaptation every half year?

Mayoi Neko (April 2010)
Shiki (July 2010)
Ao No Exorcist (April 2011)
Shin Prince of Tennis (January 2012)
Bimbougami (??? 2012)

Me thinks either Ultimo, Embalming or Darkness should get an anime. Darkness is the most likely, though.
I'm hoping for a Claymore remake or a DGM sequel personally. I also want a Gate 7 Anime, but it's practically a shoe in for 2013 or 2014.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Yeah, i'm also expecting a DGM anime.

Correct me if i'm wrong
Ao no Exorcist got an anime when it had 5 volumes.
Same for Shin Prince of Tennis (or was it 6).

There are more than 5 volumes released for DGM after the volume that matches the last anime episode (volume 16).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The studio and network (in the case of daytime anime) always have final say on what is adapted. If a studio is interested in a DGM or Claymore continuation it will happen. If not then no, it does not matter what the sales are or how long the manga has been running. If studio's look at ratings and DVD sales for the previous adaption and do not see enough potential for a new one, they will not make a continuation. I could not say what studio's think about Claymore or DGM. I do think that ToRa: Darkness will get at least OVA's at some point. The original ToRa anime was very popular and can be marketed to one of the most desirable anime demographics.

When discussing anime adaptions remember that SQ (and WSJ) do not directly handle licensing or merchandising. Nor does Shueisha. All licensing and merchandising are handled by Shogakukan-Shueisha Promotions (ShoPro). At best the anime division of ShoPro will have a representative of each magazine present, more likely a single representative will handle a handful of magazines. Shueisha has a priority of list of titles they would like promoted which is then submitted to ShoPro, who investigate any possible merchandising and licensing opportunities. Titles are most likely prioritized based on potential growth rather than current sales. If they feel that an established title has little room for growth they might push for a sequel with a bit less vigor, even if that title outsells those higher on the list.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top