Shounen Komi Naoshi Oneshots

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

There is english Edited Manga?
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I thought Nisekoi started off weak, but built a lot of momentum around the middle and had a great ending.

Wouldn't mind seeing it as a series at all.
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Nisekoi: Jump Next Winter 2011)

as with his other Oneshots, which I all liked without exception, I can hardly imagine Nisekoi being serialized. as Galactic Tomahawk wrote, it started off rather weak and that would be likely the case for a series too, slowly building on the story how they went on dates etc. The other scenario would be building on this as a starting chapter and building on their relationship later on even though the story seems more or less closed as it was.
in any case it was imo a nice variation of a romeo&julia theme with the rivalling clans - just that they hated each other xD
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Nisekoi: Jump Next Winter 2011)

Like others said, it had its weak points but it was exactly what I'd expect from Naoshi. It's just his style. I very much enjoyed it and even got sucked in to the emotion when it the girl's (her name escapes me) face as she started crying. And twas very funny too.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Nisekoi: Jump Next Winter 2011)

I didn't think Nisekoi was anything special. It was actually kind of boring in the beginning. I thought the "twist" was kind of nice and things picked up from there, but then the ending sucked in my opinion. It should have had full closure instead of leaving it open for a series. He would redo the first chapter anyway if it got serialized so it wouldn't matter if they were different. I don't think it would make a good series. I think if it did get serialized, it would do no better than SWOT. That being said, it was enjoyable enough for a one-shot. Not Komi's best work though.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Nisekoi: Jump Next Winter 2011)

It was pretty funny and I enjoyed it. Like Akainu said, I can't really see this getting serialised - there's not much of a plot per se. Plus, it's kinda not very shounen-y imo. But I guess shounen romances can work too (Kimi no Iru Machi), but I don't know if it's Jump's style. If it isn't, and it doesn't do well on the TOCs, it'd just get canceled anyway :/

Also, I got some Hana Yori Dango vibes from it - especially the part where Raku got a cold from staying in the cold at the clock tower waiting for Ichijou.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Nisekoi: Jump Next Winter 2011)

Well pretty much everything from Naoshi hasn't been a manga you'd expect to see in Jump. He's an odd duck. But in regards to it being said that he should have given full closure, that almost never happens in oneshots. Artists may wrap up a single adventure but they want there to be room for them to do a series and leave the audience wanting more.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: [Featured] Komi Naoshi Oneshots

Am I the only one who believes Komi is better off at Bessatsu Shonen just to give Jump the finger?? I wouldn't be surprised if he's inspired by Isayama to do just that. I believe he will definitely reach his true potential there. What do you think??
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: [Featured] Komi Naoshi Oneshots

Am I the only one who believes Komi is better off at Bessatsu Shonen just to give Jump the finger?? I wouldn't be surprised if he's inspired by Isayama to do just that. I believe he will definitely reach his true potential there. What do you think??
wherever he goes, it's for sure that Jump's not for him. I hope he realizes that...
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: [Featured] Komi Naoshi Oneshots

It's possible that he's contract bound and just can't switch. Or his mentor is of WSJ and thus it would be quite dishonoring to leave there. Those kind of pressure wouldn't surprise me in a Japanese company (where people still pass on their rightful vacation days just to not burden their co-workers).

Or he simply adores WSJ so much as the ultimate shounen magazine, that any other would be a serious status downgrade.

Looking at the lack of works since 2008, he can't really do this full time (anymore). He's a Art College graduate, so probably working in that field. Maybe as the assistant of a WSJ mangaka? Didn't pay attention to him since he vanished, so dunno.

I haven't read the 2011 oneshot yet but heard that it's less his unique style and more going towards a series you'd expect in WSJ, so who knows what we'll see of him this year. Maybe he finally gave in and adapts to the mass >.>
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: [Featured] Komi Naoshi Oneshots

I'd rather not. What Jump needs is a line that is out of the ordinary, breaking the mold. I think Jump should start widening its perspectives a little bit more. It's time they reached out to other demographics. A better way to do that is holding the polls/questionairres internationally through the internet. That way, more manga will have bigger chances. And moreover, if they want to create another international hit like Naruto, they should definitely do so. Too bad Jump's filled with blind idiots. <__<
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
So... now that Komi's getting serialized again (with Nisekoi) does anybody have any thoughts on this??
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I'm glad that Komi has returned but I'm not sure he brought right genre in right time. Jump already have two romance series (well, one of them is mix of action), so I'm not sure Jump needs a third one. I wonder if this means Kagami is keep doing bad or the editors try to do a another Hoopmen plan.
 

akaPassion

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 31, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
Russian Federation
I looked through list of his previous works and saw, that I read most of his oneshots without realizing neither they were from the same mangaka nor they were printed in Jump. Didn't payattention to such things ^^
I like Nisekoi oneshot and wish good luck to Komi Naoshi with this serialization.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
I wonder if there'll be any scenario/character changes from the one-shot. I hope not... I quite like the way it is now.

I suspect it's meant to replace Kagami.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I suspect it's meant to replace Kagami.
We'll see if Nisekoi going to replacement for Kagami. If Kagami stayed in bottom 5 on next week again, then Nisekoi is replacement for it; if not, then I suspect the editor is doing Hoopmen thingy.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
My memory ain't what it used to be... what happened with Hoop Men?
and how is this related to Nisekoi vs Kagami?
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My memory ain't what it used to be... what happened with Hoop Men?
and how is this related to Nisekoi vs Kagami?
Basically Hoop Men was a basketball manga that debuted some time after Kuroko No Basket debuted, being a little redundant since Jump already had another basketball manga, splitting the votes between the two since they were both the same genre. Nisekoi and Kagami seem to be similar since Nisekoi is debuting some time after Kagami and they're both of similar genre, though the latter will probably have more fanservice.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
[Cross];2648389 said:
Basically Hoop Men was a basketball manga that debuted some time after Kuroko No Basket debuted, being a little redundant since Jump already had another basketball manga, splitting the votes between the two since they were both the same genre. Nisekoi and Kagami seem to be similar since Nisekoi is debuting some time after Kagami and they're both of similar genre, though the latter will probably have more fanservice.
Well, in my point of view, I think Hoopmen was used for to make comparison with Kuroko to make Kuroko looks much nicer.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, in my point of view, I think Hoopmen was used for to make comparison with Kuroko to make Kuroko looks much nicer.
While I understand that some people might feel that way, I think this kind of thought is treading into conspiracy a little too much. Though, I enjoyed Hoop Men much more than Kuroko.
 
Top