Shounen Komi Naoshi Oneshots

KyuuninX

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I liked it.

I also like how Komi-sensei writes. Its got a certain feel to it that other manga just don't have.
 

doobious

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
92
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Well, after reading the translation ...I take back what I said about its series potential, this one could definitely go to series with a few changes. Satoshi kind of reminds me a bit of Muddy though.:XD Muddy and... Captain Planet.:rofl

But I also feel that even though Komi-sensei's art is awesome, his stories have been kind of... immature (then again he's working within the Jump framework). They remind me of '50s pulp SF. I would love to see him work with a more experienced writer to reach his full potential.
I actually gotta disagree with you (respectfully) on his stories seeming immature. Each one of his stories that I've read (well, been able to read haha) I've looked at as a breathe of fresh air. Double Arts was a great change from everything else in JUMP that's so fight driven, I felt it was much more character/story driven. Perhaps that's why it failed haha. Each of the stories is an interesting unique 'world'...I almost don't want him to be serialized, just so he'll keep pumping out these fun shorts haha. (for him though, of course I want him to get serialized so he can actually make a living)
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I liked it.

I also like how Komi-sensei writes. Its got a certain feel to it that other manga just don't have.
I find them absolutely refreshing and unique. Komi-sensei seems to take the basic structure, polish them very well and then deepen it with his own personal touches. He even tacks on certain personality traits that are adorably absurd such as Sui compulsive liking for cherries. Who would've though that!?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what this man might produce next.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I got around to reading Williams, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Such an original story (especially for shounen, I mean there wasn't a single fight). I especially love all of the awesome facial expressions throughout the story. It was a great light-hearted adventure story.

I really don't know what it is, but Komi is a great story teller. I hope he gets serialized again soon, or at the very least, I hope we get another one-shot soon. I know, I know, he has had two published very recently, but what can I say, I'm greedy :p.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I agree that Komi-sensei's works are a breath of fresh air... for Jump. But I sometimes feel let down by the resolutions of his one-shots - the happy endings feel a bit contrived. It's not that I want him to write tragic endings, but
after the awesome set-up of Island and Williams I found it unnecessary that the land coincidentially rose and Aladoph sent a messenger just-just-just in time to restore Aira's and William's faith in dreams. As charming as they were, I felt a bit cheated that Aira and William were practically handed their happy endings on silver trays by KamiKomi-sama.
It's the same reason I didn't think Death Note was all that.:XD But, I'll allow that it's maybe a limitation of the genre he's primarily working in atm, or because of his own relative youth. I thought that Koi no Kami-sama and Personant were very good. The jury's still kinda out on Apple... I like the art but the story's pretty shallow.

I have noticed a change in his heroes though - from the gregarious YAY!ADVENTURE!SEE THE WORLD!-type characters to "I just want to be left alone" types (Damore and Satoshi).
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Could be how Komi is feeling these days. I would want people to leave me be and let me do my thing.
 

LegACy

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
568
Reaction score
690
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Williams Edited Manga finally done (Whew, I have became really, really lazy lately)
And so, too lazy to register myself as a Manga Editor, I'll just put the links here:

Williams Download Link
RapidShare
MegaUpload
MediaFire

Thanks a lot to Kirimi for both translation and RAW ^^
 

Dante Julius

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
65
Reaction score
116
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I am sure this doesn't need to be said here since you all probably already noticed, but we, Nihil Sine Nefas, scanlated the Apple oneshot:
http://mangahelpers.com/s/nihilsinenefas/details/8722
Hope to see more out of Komi Naoshi, and I'd be happy to work on his stuff in the future.
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Just finish reading Apple. Amazing art work as usual. The story line and art that brought it to life blended synergistically well. Another light-hearted one-shot.
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

oh my, I read through all five now and they are all really something.
lmao for the ends of koi and personant ^^
 

Ranael

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I thought Koi no Kami-sama was hilarious. Especially at the end when the marriage registration form drops down from the sky. It cracks me up every time.
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I thought Koi no Kami-sama was hilarious. Especially at the end when the marriage registration form drops down from the sky. It cracks me up every time.
That was a good one. A very memorable one-shot.
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

it's been what, about a year now since DA was dropped? has anyone heard what happen to Komi since Apple was released? i miss his stuff, i just recenly re-read Personant. still enjoy it.
 

Ranael

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I don't know anything but as soon as I do I will post it. It really is too bad, all that talent and not enough appreciation.
 

cryonicnin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

That was a good one. A very memorable one-shot.
damn right!! that was as funny as ever! and the way the protagonist compared Kami as a stuck-up, stubborn father from a shoujo manga! hahahah. that was cool. yhep, great indeed :)
 

JosephClabe

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Has anyone heard anything new about Komi-sensei? I love his work and its really disappointing that I haven't heard anything or read anything by him in quite a while.
 

LilaChan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
568
Reaction score
100
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

His work feels very slice of life. It's very gender neutral too, it doesn't rely on gimmicks such as brainless fight scenes, fanservice, moeblobs or slashable bishounens. I think I might be over praising him, but when I was reading Island it gave me the same feeling as watching something by Miyazaki. The characters' strugle and developement is his strong point. He also seem to critise people or society in disgaise. The mangas is just extremely well excuted and doesn't feel commercial. The art is really pretty too. Which is always a big plus for me.

His oneshots would work really well as a short movie.

Hearing nothing for half a year sounds like he's planning something long...just a gut feeling. He's too talented for SJ to lose. I can't really see his current style being popular, considering most readers of jump likes 'cool' stuff. These one shots are not 'cool', but heartwarming.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

You know, after reading Nisekoi, I remembered how much I like Komi's writing style. The one shot was what you would expect from Komi: fun and bawwwwwwww. Give the man a weekly series again dammit, I've waited long enough :yelling
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Yeah, I was literally laughing on the floor when I read it. The best part is, he doesn't need to use cheap tricks to generate an all-round dose of good laughter. The theme is a bit done to death, but I liked the way he wrote it.
 
Top