Discussion - Lets Talk About Godslayers | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Lets Talk About Godslayers

LordOTaco

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm starting a miniseries on Youtube talking about the different slayer types and first up is the Godslayers. Godslayers are one of those slayer types that I feel had alot of potential and will probably unfortunately never be fully explored. One thing that is intriguing is how their slayer type magic trumps over dragonslayer magic despite not requiring to learn it from a god or posses a lacrima. This is evidenced by how Chelia learned it from teachers and books and for all we know Zancrow and Ogra were the same way. While this does not guarantee victory it does give them a significant advantage over dragonslayers. We do know that there are Gods in the Fairy Tail universe like the God that Natsu quite literally two punched into oblivion. Dimaria also has God Soul takeover magic which she apparently uses to control the God of Time Cronos. Then there is of course Ankseram the God of life and death. It makes me wonder if God Slaying magic was originally made as a means of rebellion against Gods like Ankseram. It will probably never be fully explained but it sure is interesting to think about.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
God Slayers are kind of unique in that you can't eat their element without first dumping out your MP reserves.

In terms of pure combat, I don't really see how they have an advantage over the other slayers. I would argue that someone like Laxus or God Serena can solo the 3 god slayers we know of. Keep in mind that this whole "I can eat your element, but you can't eat mine" advantage only works with the same element. A fire god slayer wouldn't really have any advantage over an iron dragon slayer.

I'm assuming God Slaying magic was made to combat stuff like the Yakuma 18 War Gods, Kemokemo, or Chronos...and maybe not even Kemokemo. Ankhseram is a bit of a special case, as we don't know if he really has a body or if he can truly die. He's the god of life and death after all.

Last edited:

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Zancrow claimed God Slayer Magic was above DS magic just cause he believed the gods created everything in the world. He learned his magic from Hades, calling him a god when Natsu mocked him saying he learned his magic from an actual dragon. I agree with Axiomus, it's really no super advantage to a dragon or god besides the element. A fire god slayer has the advantage over a fire dragon slayer but not an iron dragon slayer. One thing I always wondered, dragon and devil slayers have side effects from using the magic too much. A dragon seed can sprout to cause dragonification for a dragon slayer while a devil slayer can demonize and become a demon (whether this is because its demon seed or not is unclear/not explained yet). We don't know if god slayers suffer from a side effect, whether is it turning into a god or anything else. I think it's nothing simply cause it fits a god being above everything so it would add up if they didn't suffer a side effect.

Last edited:

LordOTaco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Zancrow claimed God Slayer Magic was above DS magic just cause he believed the gods created everything in the world. He learned his magic from Hades, calling him a god when Natsu mocked him saying he learned his magic from an actual dragon. I agree with Axiomus, it's really no super advantage to a dragon or god besides the element. A fire god slayer has the advantage over a fire dragon slayer but not an iron dragon slayer. One thing I always wondered, dragon and devil slayer have side effects from using the magic too much. A dragon seed can sprout to cause dragonification for a dragon slayer while a devil slayer an demonize and become a demon (whether this is because its demon seed or not is unclear/not explained yet). We don't know if god slayers suffer from a side effect, whether is it turning into a god or anything else. I think it's nothing simply cause it fits a god being above everything so it would add up if they didn't suffer a side effect.
Now there's an interesting thought its hard to say if God Slayers would suffer similar side effects and its highly unlikely we will get to see if thats the case as Chelia lost her magic, Zancrow is dead, and Ogra is MIA lol.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
God Slayers are way cooler than lame Dragon Slayers.

I miss Zancrow and his black flames.

those were hype and he was defeated in a worse possible way by none other than Natsu.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Zancrow claimed God Slayer Magic was above DS magic just cause he believed the gods created everything in the world. He learned his magic from Hades, calling him a god when Natsu mocked him saying he learned his magic from an actual dragon. I agree with Axiomus, it's really no super advantage to a dragon or god besides the element. A fire god slayer has the advantage over a fire dragon slayer but not an iron dragon slayer. One thing I always wondered, dragon and devil slayers have side effects from using the magic too much. A dragon seed can sprout to cause dragonification for a dragon slayer while a devil slayer can demonize and become a demon (whether this is because its demon seed or not is unclear/not explained yet). We don't know if god slayers suffer from a side effect, whether is it turning into a god or anything else. I think it's nothing simply cause it fits a god being above everything so it would add up if they didn't suffer a side effect.
I'm assuming that they would transform into a god, but I'm also assuming that you need to be at a high level for that to happen and none of the godslayers will ever reach that level. But humans wielding the power of the Gods is something we've already seen in Dimaria and to a certain extent Zeref.

LordOTaco

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is very true. It almost makes me wonder in a purely hypothetical sense which would win a Flame God or a Flame Demon like END? In that case are they essentially two sides of the same coin? Or does one trump the other?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is very true. It almost makes me wonder in a purely hypothetical sense which would win a Flame God or a Flame Demon like END? In that case are they essentially two sides of the same coin? Or does one trump the other?
In FT it ranks Dragon > God > Devil. Gods in real life are above everyone but in FT dragons are the most important creatures. I would say that's how slayer magic should be ranked as well besides God > Dragon-same element advantage. END is special, he could destroy pretty much any flame god

LordOTaco

Reaction score
Country
United States
In FT it ranks Dragon > God > Devil. Gods in real life are above everyone but in FT dragons are the most important creatures. I would say that's how slayer magic should be ranked as well besides God > Dragon-same element advantage. END is special, he could destroy pretty much any flame god
It is kinda odd to me how the same element advantage doesn't correlate to the power of the actual things they slay xD. Guess its just one of those Mashima things...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Natsu wins because he wins every time lately.

besides, he shouldn't even won against Zancrow. he was getting fodderized from a get go but no, lets just win because plot.

Last edited:

EmptySoul

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I thought the God slayers had a lot of potential since God is supposed to be >>>>Everything so i assumed GS>>> Every other slayer but Oh no if that happens someone'll be stronger than Natsu and ofc we cant let that happen so hiro shoved them aside and totally forgot abt them (other than shellia this arc)
i had some questions abt them too like why is there only 3 GS and how did they get their magic? By gods? But ofc those questions were left unanswered since theyll be too relevent if they were

Ill stop now,im getting a bit salty lol :XD

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is kinda odd to me how the same element advantage doesn't correlate to the power of the actual things they slay xD. Guess its just one of those Mashima things...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not really fam, like I said END is special. He's Zeref's strongerst Etherious. If it was a regular flame god against a flame demon then the flame demon would get murked 9 times out of 10.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The elemental advantage only pertains to what they can eat. In the case of God Slayers, you can only eat their elements if you empty out your magic reserves.

In terms of fighting ability, however, a dragons seem to be generally more powerful than a god.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
well, Gods are irrelevant.

Dragons are way more relevant and because of that we get fodder Gods and top tier Dragons.

and to hype up Natsu obviously.

Solitrine

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
All we really know is that the magic itself is 'superior' to Dragon Slayer magic based off the Zancrow fight, however no GS magic users are plot relevant so the users are drastically weaker than their Dragon Slayer counterparts (bar Chelia).

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I would question god Slayer magic having an advantage over dragon slaying magic. The only time we saw that was between natsu and zancrow.... However when we saw orga and Shelia fight the advantage thing did not play out at all.

As for the whole " there aren't gods to make GS", the past few chapters would prove that is not an issue. DS magic is an enchantment, simple as that. Same would go for GS magic. If Shelia learned GS magic from a book then the most likely scenario is that she learned how to enchant herself with GS magic. Unless shenanigans happened and the book or someone else enchanted her without her noticing.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I would question god Slayer magic having an advantage over dragon slaying magic. The only time we saw that was between natsu and zancrow.... However when we saw orga and Shelia fight the advantage thing did not play out at all.
that fight was a PIS imo and it retcons that Zancrow vs Natsu fight.

Zancrow was DESTROYING Natsu. he was fodderizing him from a get got. Natsu was literally a child in that fight.

Sherria vs Wendy was a big slap across the face against God Slayers.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I thought the God slayers had a lot of potential since God is supposed to be >>>>Everything so i assumed GS>>> Every other slayer but Oh no if that happens someone'll be stronger than Natsu and ofc we cant let that happen so hiro shoved them aside and totally forgot abt them (other than shellia this arc)
i had some questions abt them too like why is there only 3 GS and how did they get their magic? By gods? But ofc those questions were left unanswered since theyll be too relevent if they were

Ill stop now,im getting a bit salty lol :XD
In one of the chapter covers(probably in the 350's) it was revealed Sherria recieved a book from Gran Doma because she was a good student and prodigy in magic and she learnt Sky GS Magic from it.

So you can learn GS Magic from books.And we know Hades taught Zancrow GS Magic.And we had seen Hades and young Ultear in a flashback where she was learning Arc of Time from books.So it is safe to assume Zancrow was taught from a book in GS Magic by Hades.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
As for the whole " there aren't gods to make GS", the past few chapters would prove that is not an issue. DS magic is an enchantment, simple as that. Same would go for GS magic. If Shelia learned GS magic from a book then the most likely scenario is that she learned how to enchant herself with GS magic. Unless shenanigans happened and the book or someone else enchanted her without her noticing.
It was a dragon enchanting their powers into a human though. You still needed a dragon somewhere in the process. A dragon slayer is basically a human using the power of a dragon.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
All we really know is that the magic itself is 'superior' to Dragon Slayer magic based off the Zancrow fight, however no GS magic users are plot relevant so the users are drastically weaker than their Dragon Slayer counterparts (bar Chelia).
I think it's just because in Fairy Tail, dragons are on a whole a lot stronger than their god as a species. Or at least, to the gods we've seen in person. Ankhseram might be the one exception, if he even has a physical body. For example, if we were to compare Chronos to Irene's sage dragon form there's a pretty huge power gap.

There is a special property from god slaying magic that prevents someone from eating their elements. Or at least, prevents them from eating it without emptying their magical containers. This is probably the most major advantage a God Slayer has over other slayer type mages of the same element.

GrayFullllbuster

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok so Dragon slayer Magic is to gives mages an advantage against dragons, Demon slaying against Demons, but what about God Slaying magic? Does it necessarily mean they have an advantage against Gods, or does it just mean they take the power and abilities of a God?