OS Mac? Windows? Linux?

Mac? Windows? Linux?

  • Mac

    Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Windows

    Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Linux

    Votes: 11 18.3%

  • Total voters
    60

glasskatana

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
2,505
Reaction score
81
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, I thought it was about time for this. What do you use? I use a Mac, and I love it *dodges debris*. Of course, I expect almost all the votes to be for Windows. :notrust But it's still good to know. And if you have/use two or more, such as Windows and Mac, vote for the one you prefer/think is better in other words mac. :D

You can offer personal opinions about the operating systems, or articles or updates or such here as well. For instance, Apple has realeased a sneak peak at what it's new operating system will be able to do.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
I encourage you to check out all of those movies and read all the articles, not just time machine. :thumbs
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
31
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Macs have time machines on them? o.O

I have all Windows at home, but for yearbook we use Macs (ibook, eMac, etc) because macs are the only ones that support the programs we need.

What's a Linux, though? >.>
 

HK-47

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
21
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
i use linux, because it does everything i need to do on my pc, it's free both in terms of cost, and from the questionable practices by certain software companies (Windows Genuine Advantage, anyone?). although i still have windows XP installed for when other people in our house want to play windows-only games, i do know i will NOT be using the upcoming windows vista, as i don't think it offers anything more than a prettier interface, while being incredibly bloated and resource hungry when compared to XP.
 

glasskatana

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
2,505
Reaction score
81
Gender
Male
Country
United States
HK-47 said:
i use linux, because it does everything i need to do on my pc, it's free both in terms of cost, and from the questionable practices by certain software companies (Windows Genuine Advantage, anyone?). although i still have windows XP installed for when other people in our house want to play windows-only games, i do know i will NOT be using the upcoming windows vista, as i don't think it offers anything more than a prettier interface, while being incredibly bloated and resource hungry when compared to XP.
ah. I've had many of my friends tell me that they think windows vista copied a lot of it's appeareance from Mac. I myself have yet to see it and will not comment on it.
LadyHatake said:
Macs have time machines on them? o.O
They do now (soon)

What's a Linux, though? >.>
I've only used linux a couple times so I'm not really confident in explaining it. Hoepfully someone else will visit the thread and talk more about it (or HK-47 can explain it. :D)
 

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,845
Reaction score
282
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Mac for editing of stuff, and personal computer/web browsing, etc.

Windows for games. ^_^


Haven't had any experience with Linux yet...
 

Xenos

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Switzerland
Mac sucks ^^ i hate the layout and the fact that if anything goes wrong you have to bring it to the shop.

Personaly i use Windows Xp Pro on my Laptop and 2nd (gamming Comp) and Linux with a Windows interface on my main Desktop.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,724
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Laptop/Workstation -> Linux Gentoo

PC1 -> OpenBSD
PC2 -> WinXP (just for Poser, Terragen and such stuff)

Any questions about Linux? Just ask :D
 

glasskatana

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
2,505
Reaction score
81
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hermie said:
Mac for editing of stuff, and personal computer/web browsing, etc.

Windows for games. ^_^


Haven't had any experience with Linux yet...
Exactly. I personally like Mac better for everything except gaming in which Windows is obviously superior. Luckily I don't play computer games.
 

yeste

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
551
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Vatican City State
For the last 5 or so years I’ve been on various versions of XP. And I grow quite accustomed to it…

But now, I’m fooling around with some distro’s of Linux… A friend gave me Slackware couple of days(maybe weeks?) ago, and told me “ that’s all you’ll ever need!!!” “ Have fun setting it up!!! And don’t give up!!! It’s all explained in the How To’s…” “ :p”!!!

And I read a looot of those damn How To’s… So, now I’m switching between XP and various Linux distributions ( checking them out… Still don’t have a favorite??? There are so many!!! I’ve seen/tried Slackware,SuSe,Mandriva,K/Ubuntu and Fedora ), but I need another box in order to really switch to Linux. Damn XP, I probably won’t ever be able to leave it behind :) !!! I’m too used to it…

I’ve also tried a couple of Betas of Vista/Longhorn, but I didn’t like them at all… Too many flashy things poping out of nowhere for no reason… And it also made my PC work really slow in both 32 and 64 bit versions???

And here’s a shocker for the end… I’ve never seen Mac OS!!! I’ve seen some screenshots of how the environment looks like, but never had the chance to use one… ?

Syaoran said:
I'm done with PC gaming... it became too additive. Instead, I play on my PSP for half an hour. that's enough ^^
Me too!!! :p But I'm done with gaming overall!!! Dont play anymore :s
 

glasskatana

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
2,505
Reaction score
81
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yeste said:
And here’s a shocker for the end… I’ve never seen Mac OS!!! I’ve seen some screenshots of how the environment looks like, but never had the chance to use one… ?
*jaw-drop*
Me too!!! :p But I'm done with gaming overall!!! Dont play anymore :s
Then you should consider getting a new Mac (if you have the money). I can't reccomend it more. Especially now, since it can also run windows.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What is Gentoo Linux? A linux distro?
 

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
3,303
Reaction score
29
Gender
Hidden
Country
Isle of Man
Well ..... this is an interesting thread. I guess I'll share my info as well.

I'm using something I like to call "Abnormal XP". It's a customized and tweaked Windows XP Pro. Using this it's easier to experiment with various new progs and ..... a bit of other sphere - games, as well. After all, nobody can deny that software developers favor MSft and that's why majority of games and progs are Win-addicted. XD

At the same time, I pretty much like other two OS better.
Linux is the freeware version and that's the easiest way to screw every license checking authority. And it let's you do all the primary functions needed. (I'm talking about default setup)

Mac is my favourite. If only it wouldn't be so darn expensive, I'd have it all over the place: at home, in cottage, at work, in the university.....
What attracts me to Macs are their performance. No other OS is able to launch every single prog available and not even blink or lag. We've done that kind of experiments in many occasions, but it has always been the same - perfect performance.
[/rant]
 

glasskatana

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
2,505
Reaction score
81
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Predator said:
Well ..... this is an interesting thread. I guess I'll share my info as well.

I'm using something I like to call "Abnormal XP". It's a customized and tweaked Windows XP Pro. Using this it's easier to experiment with various new progs and ..... a bit of other sphere - games, as well. After all, nobody can deny that software developers favor MSft and that's why majority of games and progs are Win-addicted. XD

At the same time, I pretty much like other two OS better.
Linux is the freeware version and that's the easiest way to screw every license checking authority. And it let's you do all the primary functions needed. (I'm talking about default setup)

Mac is my favourite. If only it wouldn't be so darn expensive, I'd have it all over the place: at home, in cottage, at work, in the university.....
What attracts me to Macs are their performance. No other OS is able to launch every single prog available and not even blink or lag. We've done that kind of experiments in many occasions, but it has always been the same - perfect performance.
[/rant]
yeah. Macs on average are about 1000 dollars more than PCs. Makes me sad.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
From what I understand Mac are expensive and the hardware is below that of pc.
 

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
336
Reaction score
15
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Luckas04 said:
From what I understand Mac are expensive and the hardware is below that of pc.
i agree, although the mac software is tweaked and optimised to make the most out of that hardware. I use windows xp, because everything works on it, its performance is great on my setup, WGA doesnt bother me, and, unlike linux, where you have to find alternatives to commonly used programs, which suck, or use wine, which defeats the purpose of linux, (except amaroK, if there was a windows version of amaroK, the world would be a better place)
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What is amaroK?
Now Linux should be less complex than it was and it has a lot of programms, except videogames.
I'm using Win98 (old computer) and I don't know if to install WinXp or Linux.
Does anyne use Suse?
 

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
336
Reaction score
15
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
amaroK is a music player. simply put, its awesome. i would not reccommend suse, its package manager is rpm based, and its not very good. suse is also quite bloated. if you are gonna install linux, install the latest version of Ubuntu (6.04), its by far the best, but still complex. If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
_V0iD_ said:
amaroK is a music player. simply put, its awesome. i would not reccommend suse, its package manager is rpm based, and its not very good. suse is also quite bloated. if you are gonna install linux, install the latest version of Ubuntu (6.04), its by far the best, but still complex. If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
I have an old Athlon XP 1600 and 256 MB and friends of mine say that this configuration is ok for WinXP. I have to change SO, because a lot of programms doesn't run on Win98.
So you think I should try Ubuntu as linux distro?
 
Top