OS - Mac? Windows? Linux? | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

OS Mac? Windows? Linux?

Mac? Windows? Linux?

• Mac

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Linux

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

MatewBro

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Linux allows you to install pretty much any software that has anything to do with software development, except Microsoft's Visual Suite.
And the software that comes with Linux is usually very configurable and open source. If you need to fix something or figure out exactly how it works, it's all right there.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
windows for me, mostly because I grew up with windows. never really tried mac or linux

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I held on to windows as long as I could for best game, feature and app compatibility.

Anti virus scanning in the bg increases I/O r/w to disk, shortening the lifespan of HDD and SSD.

(Similar to chia coin mining voiding the warranty on HDD/SSD due to intensive io shortening lifespan of devices to as low as 6 months)

Active virus scan is turned off by default to prolong HDD life. In the past I have had HDDs last 10+ years with a/v scan turned off.

But windows makes this hard as defender is hard wired to switch active virus scan: on daily.

I turn defender off. And windows turns it back on. Every. Day.

In addition to this, windows defender firewall unwantedly turns itself on as well, creating software conflicts (and potential vulns) with other firewall apps.

I'm thinking of migrating to linux.

Years back I thought of moving to OpenBSD as its security track record was good and Theo De Raadt had a good reputation. But the application support and gaming compatibility was lacking.

Would anyone like to recommend a linux distro or give me pro tips?

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Windows but I have played around with Mac. Never used Linux.

Never noticed the IT category until now XD