OS - Mac? Windows? Linux? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

OS Mac? Windows? Linux?

Mac? Windows? Linux?

• Mac

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Linux

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
yes definately. or Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the XFCE window manager, which is lighter and much less resource hungry than the ubuntu one, which is GNOME. check out www.ubuntuguide.org for getting started help

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Windows...

Gonna try linux sooner or later... =)

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
_V0iD_ said:
yes definately. or Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the XFCE window manager, which is lighter and much less resource hungry than the ubuntu one, which is GNOME. check out www.ubuntuguide.org for getting started help
I'm checking it. I like it's based on Debian. Do you know Kubuntu?

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
yep, kubuntu is ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME. KDe is also resource hungry, and i dont like it much, but its personal preference really

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Luckas04 said:
What is Gentoo Linux? A linux distro?
Gentoo is a distro with a BSD-like port system and you can built it from the scratch (bootstrap). Don't try it as a Linux beginner, it's a distro for ppl who know what to do and theres no newbie support for basic problems.

Luckas04 said:
Now Linux should be less complex than it was and it has a lot of programms, except videogames.
I'm using Win98 (old computer) and I don't know if to install WinXp or Linux.
Does anyne use Suse?
That's not really true. You can built a game-optimised distro or use game emulation and there are also a bunch of cool linux games. Linux has it own Gamers Scene, just check it out. Of course, if you don't want to try other games, you should better stay with a win system.

Linux Gamers FAQ
http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Emulators/Videogames/
http://www.linuxday.at/gallery/Wine-und-Emulationen
http://www.linux-gamers.net
http://www.linuxgames.com
http://games.linux.sk/index.php
http://www.google.de/linux

Also, don't use Suse. It's a nice distro for beginner, but you won't learn a thing about linux and won't learn how to help yourself.

Luckas04 said:
I'm checking it. I like it's based on Debian. Do you know Kubuntu?
Yes, it's like a easy version of Debian. Ubuntu is higly recommend for every linux newbie. I prefer a light window manager (I use fluxbox), but if it comes to decide between gnome and kde, then i prefer gnome.

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
_V0iD_ said:
If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
Well ...... there are enought resources on your comp to install WinXP. :amuse
I have been able to make XP run on 500Mhz Pentuim I with 64Mb RAM and 8Mb integrated video. And all the things go smoothly.

Come to think of it I once did the same thing with 266Mhz MMX Pentuim as well, but it had some problems with ability to handle large amounts of info, like the net connection and third generation game software....

But the buttomline is .... defined requirements are for those, who don't know that everything in this world is relative and can be altered. :p

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
winxp on a 500mhz pentuim with 64mb of ram? how the hell can that run smoothly? must have taken a helluva long time to start up. I meant that to get decent performance u would probably want 1ghz or greater and 256mb of ram or greater. I can remember running win2k with 64mb of ram.... it was horribly slow.

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
_V0iD_ said:
winxp on a 500mhz pentuim with 64mb of ram? how the hell can that run smoothly? must have taken a helluva long time to start up. I meant that to get decent performance u would probably want 1ghz or greater and 256mb of ram or greater. I can remember running win2k with 64mb of ram.... it was horribly slow.
Hm, i'm running my xp on a 450mhz/512mb K6-2. It's ok, but youtube videos are snatchy and rendering (Poser/Terragen) takes forever.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy
eni said:
Also, don't use Suse. It's a nice distro for beginner, but you won't learn a thing about linux and won't learn how to help yourself.
Yes, it's like a easy version of Debian. Ubuntu is higly recommend for every linux newbie. I prefer a light window manager (I use fluxbox), but if it comes to decide between gnome and kde, then i prefer gnome.
Years ago I helped a friend installing linux, it was using gnome interface and its brown color really make me sad. Yesterday I checked a little Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and so probably I'll try Kubuntu for the Kde interface; I don't like the brown of Ubuntu.

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Luckas04 said:
Years ago I helped a friend installing linux, it was using gnome interface and its brown color really make me sad. Yesterday I checked a little Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and so probably I'll try Kubuntu for the Kde interface; I don't like the brown of Ubuntu.
The gnome layout is blue, but you can customise it much better then windows. Ubuntus colour (red-brown? earth-brown?) fits the meaning of ubuntus name very well, don't you think so :)

In any case YOU can customise your desktop like you want: KDE "sexy desktop howto"

http://www.gnome-look.org
http://www.kde-look.org
Wallpapers
my older fluxbox ones (oh god, how crappy - i need new screenshots)

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
_V0iD_ said:
:sweat ...... my mistake ..... the comp with 500Mhz has 128 MB RAM .... Just checked.
And it's running smoothly, same as every other computer I have. No significant lag observed. :p

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy
So what are the differences between Kde and Gnome?

@Eni: Thanks for the links.

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
They are different desktop environments. I myself prefer GNOME, because KDE looks ugly and i especially hate its start menu

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It just depends on taste. KDE looks like windows, maybe thats why it's prefered by beginners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager

Gnome and KDE are desktop enviroments, full of things you could need. File manager, calender, sound server, image viewer, a set of basic programs, own desktop games, icons, themes, login manager, ......

But most of this things are useless for me and I prefer to use KDE file manager and Gnome Texteditor, also KDE's japanese learnings programs but Gnomes image viewer. I use the Enlightment sound server and login manager and I have no need for a office suite, 'cause I use Lyx/Latex.

That's why I choosed a light window manager like fluxbox or xfce. It comes with nothing, no programs, no usefull stuff ... but I can install whatever I want, take the best parts of other wm's and built my own desktop enviroment from the scratch, so to say it :)

CupofDice

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been using Ubuntu for almost a week, and I love it. I installed Mandrake 10.1 a while ago, but it didn't recognize my winmodem (I now have cable), so I sorta gave up. I will probably wipe my whole drive soon to give it more than than the 15 or so gigs it has now (my drive is around 60) since (other than Microsoft Reader) windows has nothing I need. What is best is the stability (my XP Home is dying on me with long startups/shutdowns/Explorer crashing), and the complete safety from viruses/malware. Plus everything just works and is free. :smile-big. I prefer Gnome because of the simplicity and not having a 20 or so programs beginning with 'K'.

sakura_uchiha

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I use windows, and i probably wanted to switch to mac soon >.> Just for curiosity's sake ;)

glasskatana

Reaction score
Country
United States
sakura_uchiha said:
I use windows, and i probably wanted to switch to mac soon >.> Just for curiosity's sake ;)
yes. Join us. :D

Hawkuro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Iceland
I use Windows mainly because it´s compatible with just about any application out there, But I´d like to try Mac sometime, Leopard looks shiny.

zypher

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I use windows at the moment (mostley cuse i got it for free)

I simply say like this

Mac = the best hardware

Windows = the best Operating System to play games on

Linux/Unix/Readhatt = very good Operating System for those who like to change and mod in the Operating System

(if you don't agree i don't care)

mangadictus

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Is this thread still open?

Windows for me (cuz I have no choice. compatibility, anyone)

Mac = getting one soon. aside from evolving to unix scripting, really one piece of a great machine, sw and hw wise.

Linux = "j00r b0x $ wyd 0p3n" Script Kiddies & Packet Monkeys, Rejoice! What I'm saying is... Get this If you want the hard and secure way around. That's all there is to it. (Debian, Ubunto and Fedora user)

Choice: Windows (I said, no choice!)