Discussion Mafia Game "Discussion" Thread v.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hm, in that case, limiting activity in the night comments could work. Like allowing just one comment per player, without quoting anyone else, so, that would allow the players to express their frustration or joy, or say, it will be the review of the day. Needless to say, they shouldn't talk about their roles/night actions in the review. It's generally not the focus of the night phase talks, anyway. Often, people just want to drop by and scream "Oh God!! We lynched another Townie!!".
That's complicating things though and people can just write everything in one post if we include that rule. I agree with Evil, the best option is to make the living participants of the game talk in the thread. Everybody should be aware that the night isn't meant to be to just continue discussing the game, so a reaction or two is allowed but nothing else. If it continues beyond that, the host can just close the thread and hostkill anyone who continues posting in the discussion thread. A dead player can make a post or so in the discussion thread too but if he reveals too much or influences the game in some way, he will get a ban for the next game. It's a difficult matter but that's the best solution I think.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
I don't get why people can't just SHUT UP. That being said, I did a huge blunder in my previous game too after dying, but I learned from it.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Kevin I'm probably up... I felt really meh towards a next game, and thought of just taking a break after I died so freaking early, in a game I had been looking forward to for so many weeks. But I have an urge to make up for the early exit now. I'm probably up next time too.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

That's complicating things though and people can just write everything in one post if we include that rule. I agree with Evil, the best option is to make the living participants of the game talk in the thread. Everybody should be aware that the night isn't meant to be to just continue discussing the game, so a reaction or two is allowed but nothing else. If it continues beyond that, the host can just close the thread and hostkill anyone who continues posting in the discussion thread. A dead player can make a post or so in the discussion thread too but if he reveals too much or influences the game in some way, he will get a ban for the next game. It's a difficult matter but that's the best solution I think.
No matter how you put it, dead players commenting in this thread will spark a second "discussion" going on in this thread. It's unavoidable that living players will reply to a dead player's comment.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
If it's Harry Potter's theme, i think i will be in.
If not, it's not worth it, since i have so many stuff to do! :crying
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,005
Reaction score
6,627
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I don't get why people can't just SHUT UP. That being said, I did a huge blunder in my previous game too after dying, but I learned from it.
I have already said that I'm not really positive about this SHUT UP rule. Reacting to the events add a certain element of fun in the game, I believe.
And it's almost always fun to see a lynched Townie come out and say "I told you guys.." to tease the fail bandwagoners. People should SHUT UP only if what they are about to say is going to influence the game in some way, so, they need to judge their words themselves first.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
im down...sign me up


:thumbs
I don't get why people can't just SHUT UP. That being said, I did a huge blunder in my previous game too after dying, but I learned from it.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Kevin I'm probably up... I felt really meh towards a next game, and thought of just taking a break after I died so freaking early, in a game I had been looking forward to for so many weeks. But I have an urge to make up for the early exit now. I'm probably up next time too.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------



No matter how you put it, dead players commenting in this thread will spark a second "discussion" going on in this thread. It's unavoidable that living players will reply to a dead player's comment.
If it's Harry Potter's theme, i think i will be in.
If not, it's not worth it, since i have so many stuff to do! :crying
I'm counting you three in then :p let's say in 10 days or so, or two weeks. No later for me.
If we get around 10 people, that would be great. Anything below that prolly wouldn't make that much sense

Sign up for possible Mafia Game 25 (starting date 28 March - 1 April)

[USER]3c[/USER]
[USER]gnut[/USER]
[USER]jorped[/USER]

Well, if you are going to volunteer for hosting (next one or some other in future, doesn't matter), you'll definitely need to put much more effort than you did whilst playing, take that into account.
The toughest part looks like arranging a balanced role distribution. The updates and stuff could be annoying with all the spam, but it's still not that difficult, just time consuming or so it seems.
I dunno how I feel about Milly hosting a game.... :uguu
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
16-25 March i don't have any classes, so around that time, it would be great for me. It can also be later, but in that case, the game can't be as big as this one XP. Even though i have a lot of stuff to do, i can participate on the game :nod
Will it be Harry Potter theme? :gar
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,005
Reaction score
6,627
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I dunno how I feel about Milly hosting a game.... :uguu
Yeah, pretty much doubtful :XD
But he wanted to host under the condition that the theme is either SW or Harry Potter, so I doubt he would troll around and do a careless job.

Not that we could be sure about it :XD
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,102
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I'm in.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
I have already said that I'm not really positive about this SHUT UP rule. Reacting to the events add a certain element of fun in the game, I believe.
And it's almost always fun to see a lynched Townie come out and say "I told you guys.." to tease the fail bandwagoners. People should SHUT UP only if what they are about to say is going to influence the game in some way, so, they need to judge their words themselves first.
When I told you to shut up earlier, it was because you went on about people continuing your list etc. That's influencing the game. I'm not about making people shut up unreasonably. If their talk is innocent, it's fine. But people are really careless with what is being said. In this game even the most innocent speech can be interpreted as having a meaning behind it. It's why I almost didn't say a word after dying. That's however more critical for dead Mafia members, as they KNOW who's townie and who is not. Hence no matter who I make a comment at, it can quickly "mean" something. For townies it's not as critical.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Just move the discussion thread to the ff and lock the forum at night time.


Edit: Wait...That doesnt solve anything. Disregard. >.>
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I happened to take a short glance at the last game and was told to go here for setup discussion, so if I may make a few comments:

  • The setup is very favourable for the town in my eyes. When you look at pure numbers, it's 19-5, which gives them 6(!) mislynches to work with; that's a lot, and for you guys three or at the very most four mislynches (depending on how much faith the host has in the playerbase) is probably better suited.
  • On top of the above numbers, town-mafia Lovers and the Bomb are pretty bad roles to use because they are potential (and not unlikely) 1:1 trades and the mafia can't do anything about it. I would always suggest including a Vengeful Townie over either of them, it actually takes skill to use and can backfire if played poorly.
  • Death Miller is a bastard role and in general just really bad. It tempers with one of the most important elements of scumhunting (the flip), which renders any interactions that player had prior to his death pretty much meaningless, and unlike Cops of different sanity, the town has no realistic chance to figure a Death Miller out. Plain Miller (scans as mafia, but flips town) is still considered borderline by some people, but generally accepted as long as the townie knows he is a Miller from the start.

Those are just some overall points, I didn't look over the setup too carefully to see whether I'd have other issues with it. In general, if I had known people other than Evil would be hosting games when I made the guides thread, I would have included some for that purpose as well:
Mafia Pointing Theory, by Axelrod
Balancing a Mafia Setup, by Puzzle

Maybe a mod would like to add those two.
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,005
Reaction score
6,627
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
When I told you to shut up earlier, it was because you went on about people continuing your list etc. That's influencing the game. I'm not about making people shut up unreasonably. If their talk is innocent, it's fine. But people are really careless with what is being said. In this game even the most innocent speech can be interpreted as having a meaning behind it. It's why I almost didn't say a word after dying. That's however more critical for dead Mafia members, as they KNOW who's townie and who is not. Hence no matter who I make a comment at, it can quickly "mean" something. For townies it's not as critical.
I don't get it, really. How is it even influencing the game? I could say the same as an outsider who isn't even playing the game. I wasn't trying to tell them to follow my ideas. I suggested them to keep breaking down the major information.
Well, never mind. Perhaps because it was still a suggestion, a vague one, but still one.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Mafia Pointing Theory, by Axelrod
Balancing a Mafia Setup, by Puzzle

Maybe a mod would like to add those two.
They are actually there already.

I don't get it, really. How is it even influencing the game? I could say the same as an outsider who isn't even playing the game. I wasn't trying to tell them to follow my ideas. I suggested them to keep breaking down the major information.
Well, never mind. Perhaps because it was still a suggestion, a vague one, but still one.
If you're telling the town how to play, or advicing them, how is that not influencing the game? Making lists is one of the most organized approaches to systematically keep tabs on the entire pool of players. If you are giving them suggestions as a dead player, you are talking beyond what you should.
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,005
Reaction score
6,627
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
If you're telling the town how to play, or advicing them, how is that not influencing the game? Making lists is one of the most organized approaches to systematically keep tabs on the entire pool of players. If you are giving them suggestions as a dead player, you are talking beyond what you should.
As I said, it really is a pretty vague concept. As an instance, it roughly equals to suggesting the Freeman shouldn't reveal his role, in my opinion.
Anyway, point taken. No need to further argue about that.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
And you think it's fine to tell players to not play their roles stupidly after you have died? In a scenario where you keep silent as a living player, and go "Whoever the Freeman is, don't reveal your role" after you are dead is affecting the town's chances of victory. Another consequence is that the ones not revealing their roles get extra spotlight as a possible Freeman if you words are remembered. Even if you have preached it as a living player, and only "remind them" as a dead player, it can influence the game.
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,005
Reaction score
6,627
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I do, since it's like saying 1+1 = 2 for the Mafia game. So, basically, I consider it as a trivial matter.
Say, if I make a guide for the Mafia game, include this suggestion in that guide and link to it in my sig, would you think it's influencing the game? Because it really is a general suggestion, not circumstantial. I won't even know if there is a Freeman in the game, and if there is one, he shouldn't reveal his role no matter what.

For the record, I wouldn't really constantly bring up the "Freeman should shut up" argument to avoid getting silent people under spotlight and pressure, as you said, alive or after getting killed, doesn't matter. It was just an exemplary suggestion which I deemed as trivial.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Argh such big posts are making my head hurt D:
So what will be the next theme?
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
16-25 March i don't have any classes, so around that time, it would be great for me. It can also be later, but in that case, the game can't be as big as this one XP. Even though i have a lot of stuff to do, i can participate on the game :nod
Will it be Harry Potter theme? :gar
HP? I doubt it :p better save that, I doubt we will have a big game so maybe we could even use some crap theme... how about hot boys fighting each other? :lmao

Sign up for possible Mafia Game 25 (starting date 28 March - 1 April)

[USER]3c[/USER]
[USER]gnut[/USER]
[USER]jorped[/USER]
[USER]Hardy[/USER]

GO AND JOIN GARY, YOU HAVE TO REDEEM YOURSELF AFTER GETTING KILLED FIRST DAY! IMPERIUM JOIN AGAIN, HAKU I WANT YOU ON BOARD! HECK EVEN LAWLETTE DID A DECENT JOB SO GO JOIN! DIGITALDUDE TOO, PLEASE PARTICIPATE! MIDO + FARFALLA, ESPECIALLY MIDO - JOIN JOIN JOIN! AND BENE PLEAZE! DID I FORGET ANYONE? JUST JOIN! :arf
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top