Malay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language

Dewa 19: A popular Indonesian music group. (one of my favourites).
lol..they've renamed themselves when Ari Lasso took off from the band and Once took over as vocalist.. it's Dewa now... without the 19...
i like Dewa 19 better than Dewa.. both in name and music..
 

Macan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

Oh I see, but actually I'm a little bit confused because they used 'Dewa 19' instead of 'Dewa' in their latest album 'Republik Cinta' .

words of the day.

Pencuri: Burglar
Perompak: Robbers
Perogol: Rapist

Curi: Steal
Rompak: Rob
Rogol: Rape

That's all folks. :p
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language



omg i just realised that.. really this is off topic but..i didn't realise that...



see, their previous album doesn't have the 19....[br]Posted on: May 30, 2006, 01:37:20 AM_________________________________________________my gf played bowling with them once.. her father was in the music industry (owner of a recording company..).. tyo (the drummer) was still with his girlfriend Audy (singer.. now EX-girlfriend) ...

completely off topic..so.. here you go..

Words of the day...

seronok = happy..
 

Divine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 28, 2006
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: The Malay Language

Ok, today let me tell you all a lame joke.

If you are observant enough, you all may found that the Malay language "borrow" some English words and modify them. :oh

Example:
evolution - evolusi
situation - situasi
formation - formasi
and more...

Got it? a lot had been change from "tion" to "si".
Then, what about the word "nation" ? :blink

Nation = Nasi (rice) :s......hahaha.........not funny at all......*better keep something like this next time*

:loool
 

Macan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

Words of the day.....

Bapa/Ayah: Father/Dad
Ibu/Emak: Mother/Mom
Anak lelaki: Son
Anak perempuan: Daughter
Abang: Brother
Kakak: Sister
Datuk/Atuk: Grandfather
Nenek: Grandmother

Full word/Acronym

Encik/En. = Mr.
Cik/n/a = Ms.
Puan/Pn. = Mrs.
 

pengganas

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

Crazy = Gila
Run = Lari
Who = Siapa
Lawak = Joke
Can = Boleh
 

Brede

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
620
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: The Malay Language

Divine said:
Ok, today let me tell you all a lame joke.

If you are observant enough, you all may found that the Malay language "borrow" some English words and modify them. :oh
lol true! a sri lankan friend recently came over to malaysia for a visit. another fren of ours were driving us around KL. after a while my Sri Lankan friend suddenly said "There are a lot of spelling mistakes on the shop signboards! They mis-spelled 'Restaurant' as 'restoran' and 'Pharmacy' as 'farmasi'!"

it took us a while to stop laughing after we explained to her. BUT that got me thinking. How many other tourists must have thought that malaysians are bad at spelling?
 

Macan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

@Brede: Man, if I were in the car I'll surely laugh like hell :smile-big. Very funny indeed. I guess they're alot of them who thought that malaysians are bad at spelling unless they know that most malay language words are actually borrowed from other languages but I guess it makes easier for them to identify places coz it just only some slight modification to the word. :amuse

For example: Clinic=Klinik (just replace C with K and voila! a malay word.) :grin
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language

lol.. similar with indonesia..except we borrowed a lot more words... not just from english, but latin, portuguese, dutch (we were occupied by them for 350 years, of course we picked up lots of their words), japanese (and 3.5 years by them)..

are these words similar in malay?
reformation = reformasi
formation = formasi
control = kontrol
agent = agen
police =polisi (i know malay is polis)
policy = polis <- not in malay of coz :D
car = mobil (from mobile)
telephone = telefon
visualization = visualisasi
democracy = demokrasi
bureaucracy = birokrasi
team = tim
ball = bola
doctor = dokter
university = universitas
school = sekolah
assume = asumsi
neutral = netral
energy = energi
physics = fisika
physic = fisik
chemistry = kimia
foetus = fetus
sexy = seksi
section = seksi (so we always make fun of section leaders :D)
sanction = sangsi
penalty = penalti
logic = logika
biology = biologi
 

Ayah

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
9
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: The Malay Language

I'm not Malay or Indonesian by nationality (I'm Filipino), but I can't help but notice our native languages' similarities when it comes to borrowing foreign words :p Filipino has borrowed words from Spanish, English, Chinese, Arabic, Indian... I think I may have left out some others.

Some of the words in karasu's list :D (a number of them are those whose Filipino equivalent look like it was based on English even if it was actually based on Spanish) and their counterparts:

reformation = repormasyon
control = kontrol
police = pulis
policy = polisiya
telephone = telepono
democracy = demokrasya
ball = bola
doctor = doktor
university = unibersidad
energy = enerhiya
sexy = seksi
section = seksyon

So instead of -si for -tion, we use -syon :p

_________________________________________________

I know Eileen (the administrator) is Malaysian and during a MSN convo between us and Dynamic Dragon, DD asked if "sakitmata" meant anything in Malay. He saw/heard it on tv in a news clip that had something to do with Malaysia or its people/a person. He brought it up because "sakit" means sickness/pain and "mata" means eye in Tagalog (a commonly spoken regional language in the Philippines, and the primary basis for Filipino) respectively. Eileen said it meant eye pain. It makes me wonder how similar languages across Southeast Asia could be.

"Ayah" doesn't mean anything in Filipino so I was unaware of its meaning in Malay :paperbag
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language

ayah means daddy :D

i know malay and tagalog has a lot of similarity..
the famous one.. Mahal Kita..
i dunno if this is true..but in Malay.. mahal means expensive..and kita means we..
then i thought it was strange.. to say i love you that way.. so i asked him if those two words means differently with malay.. he explained to me that the meaning was "we are precious"
i dunno how much of this is true... ayah?
 

Ayah

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
9
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: The Malay Language

*Is secretly a teenage father*

"Mahal" does mean expensive, but the Tagalog word for we is "tayo". "Kita" means you, hence it should be "You are precious". Not bad for a romantic endearment ;) The phrase "Mahal kita" is so synonymous with "I love you" for most Filipinos that they equate it as a literal translation. The more literal translation of "I love you" in Tagalog is "Iniibig kita", with "ibig" meaning love (Tagalog grammar rules apply).

You know, this should be in the Filipino/Tagalog Language Thread, even if this was sort of discussed there before.
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language

lol.. i know.. it's not really of topic though..since we're comparing tagalog and malay.. :D
 

Macan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

karasu said:
lol.. i know.. it's not really of topic though..since we're comparing tagalog and malay.. :D
Yup, that's right.
Well, these are English words translated in Malay languange. Some of them is exactly the same as Indonesian language. :)

reformation = reformasi
formation = formasi
control = kawal
agent = agen
police =polis
policy = polisi
car = kereta
telephone = telefon
democracy = demokrasi
bureaucracy = birokrasi
team = tim/pasukan
ball = bola
doctor = doktor
university = universiti
school = sekolah
assume = anggap
neutral = berkecuali ('neutral' is used in Malay language as a science term)
energy = tenaga
physics = fizik
physic = fizikal
chemistry = kimia
foetus = janin
sexy = seksi
section = seksyen
penalty = penalti
logic = logik
biology = biologi

The words below are Malay words borrowed from other languages.

- bahasa - language (from Sanskrit)
- bendera - flag (from Portuguese bandeira)
- bihun - rice vermicelli (from Hokkien bi-hun) (bi-hun soup is my favourite food) :grin2
- bomba - fire brigade (from Portuguese bomba, "pump") (always wonder where the term 'bomba' come from & now I know). :pleased
- buku - book (from English)
- duka - sadness (from Sanskrit dukkha)
- dunia - world (from Arabic dunya)
- gereja - church (from Portuguese igreja)
- guru - teacher (from Sanskrit)
- kamus - dictionary (from Arabic)
- kapal - ship (from Tamil kappal)
- katil - bed (from Tamil kattil)
- kaunter - counter or desk (from English)
- keju - cheese (from Portuguese queijo)
- komputer - computer (from English)
- kongsi - share (from Hokkien kong-si)
- limau - lemon (from Portuguese limão, or directly from Arabic laimun)
- longkang - drain (from Hokkien long-kang)
- manusia - human being (from Sanskrit mannushya)
- mentega - butter (from Portuguese manteiga)
- mee/mi - noodles (from Hokkien min)
- misai - moustache (from Tamil meesai)
- roti - bread (from Sanskrit)
- sains - science (from English)
- sengsara - suffering (from Sanskrit samsara)
- syariah - Islamic law (from Arabic)
- sistem - system (from English)
- suka - happiness (from Sanskrit sukkha)
- tauhu - beancurd (from Hokkien tao-hu)
- teh - tea (from Hokkien tε)
- teko - teapot (from Hokkien tε-ko)
- had - limit (from Arabic hadd)
- waktu - time (from Arabic waqt)
- kuda - horse (from Urdu kudh)
- unta - camel (from Urdu unth)
- utara - North (from Sanskrit uttara)
- tarikh - date (from Arabic tarikh)
- zirafah - giraffe (from Arabic zarafah)

The resources above is from here:http://list.of.state.leaders.in.1979.en.infoax.org/en/Malay_language

@Ayah: When I first saw your name I thought you're Malaysian+guy+married+have children but I'm wrong. Silly me :paperbag. Mata is also means eye in Malay and I guess anak means child in Tagalog coz I did heard a Filipino song titled 'anak'(anak means child in Malay).
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language

and here's the comparison to indonesian :D

- bahasa - language (from Sanskrit) -same
- bendera - flag (from Portuguese bandeira) -same
- bihun - rice vermicelli (from Hokkien bi-hun) (bi-hun soup is my favourite food) -same
- bomba - fire brigade (from Portuguese bomba, "pump") (always wonder where the term 'bomba' come from & now I know). -we have "pemadam kebakaran" which literally means "fire extinguisher"
- buku - book (from English) -same
- duka - sadness (from Sanskrit dukkha) -same
- dunia - world (from Arabic dunya) -same
- gereja - church (from Portuguese igreja) -same
- guru - teacher (from Sanskrit) -same
- kamus - dictionary (from Arabic) -same
- kapal - ship (from Tamil kappal) -same
- katil - bed (from Tamil kattil) - we have kasur :D but some old indonesian do say katil
- kaunter - counter or desk (from English) - kounter or konter :D
- keju - cheese (from Portuguese queijo) - same
- komputer - computer (from English) - same
- kongsi - share (from Hokkien kong-si) - same
- limau - lemon (from Portuguese limão, or directly from Arabic laimun) - same, we do say both limau and lemon though..
- longkang - drain (from Hokkien long-kang) - got.. (i say longkang! coz i was from singapore too :D)
- manusia - human being (from Sanskrit mannushya) - same
- mentega - butter (from Portuguese manteiga) - same
- mee/mi - noodles (from Hokkien min) - same
- misai - moustache (from Tamil meesai) - kumis
- roti - bread (from Sanskrit) - same
- sains - science (from English) - hm...yep sains.. but we're more familiar with IPA (ilmu pengetahuan alam = study the knowledge of nature)
- sengsara - suffering (from Sanskrit samsara) - same
- syariah - Islamic law (from Arabic) - hm.. not sure.. but i think it's the same spelling..
- sistem - system (from English) - same
- suka - happiness (from Sanskrit sukkha) - same
- tauhu - beancurd (from Hokkien tao-hu) - tahu :D
- teh - tea (from Hokkien tε) - same
- teko - teapot (from Hokkien tε-ko) - same
- had - limit (from Arabic hadd) - batas..
- waktu - time (from Arabic waqt) - same
- kuda - horse (from Urdu kudh) - same
- unta - camel (from Urdu unth) - same
- utara - North (from Sanskrit uttara) - same
- tarikh - date (from Arabic tarikh) - hm..rarely use tarikh.. normally we use Tanggal
- zirafah - giraffe (from Arabic zarafah) - jerapah
 

Ayah

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
9
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: The Malay Language

Macan said:
Mata is also means eye in Malay and I guess anak means child in Tagalog coz I did heard a Filipino song titled 'anak'(anak means child in Malay).
"Anak" does mean child, and I know the song you're referring to (well I hope I'm right :D).

On the second list of words, these are what I found to be similar to their Tagalog translation (unless I miss some). Words in purple are Tagalog:

- bendera - flag (from Portuguese bandeira) -> bandila
- bihun - rice vermicelli (from Hokkien bi-hun) (bi-hun soup is my favourite food) -> bihon
- guru - teacher (from Sanskrit) -> guro
- kaunter - counter or desk (from English) -> same
- keju - cheese (from Portuguese queijo) -> keso (from Spanish queso)
- komputer - computer (from English) -> kompyuter
- mentega - butter (from Portuguese manteiga) -> mantekilya (from Spanish); sounds similar to mantika (oil)
- sistem - system (from English) -> sistema
- tauhu - beancurd (from Hokkien tao-hu) -> taho
- teh - tea (from Hokkien tε) -> tsaa

Bomba exists in Tagalog but I don't remember calling the local fire brigade as such. We use it to refer to bombs and pumps. "Dukha" means poor/destitute in Tagalog, which evokes sadness. As for noodles in Tagalog, it's generally called "pansit". There are some varieties of noodles that end with -mi (mami, lomi). Science in Tagalog are "Siyensiya" and "Agham" (yes, we have two words to refer to the same subject). I don't know what syariah is in Tagalog since I'm not a Muslim; I'll have to ask or search :p The rest are too different.
 

Macan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

Hmmm... So many similarities. different use of letters but still sounds almost the same. Thanks to foreign occupation and regional commerce in SEA I guess. :amuse

Ayah said:
"Anak" does mean child, and I know the song you're referring to (well I hope I'm right :D).
Yup, you're right. If I'm not mistaken the song was sung by Freddy Aguilar. (It's one of my fav. song. It always reminds me of my parents back home :crying). It's a well known song here but usually the local radio would broadcast the Malay language version of it (I guess it was sung by the same singer) except maybe once in a while in Tagalog :).It would be interesting to know what's syariah in Tagalog.

Words of today:
Undang=Invite
Undangan=Invitation
Undang-Undang=Law

Same word but different meaning especially the latter. Be careful when using the above words. :)

Just visit the Filipino/Tagalog language thread and I'm discovered other words which is similar to Malay language although some of them have different meaning

Same words same meaning.

laugh = tawa(Tagalog) ketawa/tawa(Malay) :Haha
goat = kambing (Tagalog & Malay) :grin2

Words familiar to Malay language speakers but different meaning in Tagalog:
Kain = eat(English) = cloth(Malay)
Sikat (slang) = popular(English) = comb(Malay)

Wooo... very interesting. :amuse
 

Brede

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
620
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: The Malay Language

Macan said:
Yup, you're right. If I'm not mistaken the song was sung by Freddy Aguilar. (It's one of my fav. song. It always reminds me of my parents back home :crying).
i like that song too...its soo touching. i first heard the tagalog version from a filipino movie (i can't remember the name of the movie) about a mother working as a house helper overseas in order to support the family and her relationship with her daughter when she returned to Manila. The movie is really touching. Any idea what the name of the movie is? I would love to get a copy of it.

Macan said:
@Ayah: When I first saw your name I thought you're Malaysian+guy+married+have children but I'm wrong
that's what i imagined too! :smile-big until i saw your pic on the member picture thread!

for me, when i travel...the most important words are names of food. so:

bread = roti
chicken = ayam
curry = kari
fish = ikan
fried = goreng
noodles = mee

what's the equivalent in indon and tagalog?
(i'm so glad tauhu/tahu/taho is so similar. its 1 of my fav food :smile-big)
 

boyshaq

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Malay Language

this thread is expanding since the last time i dropped by. hello malay speaking people.
spamming = bored :smile-big
 

Axysses

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Re: The Malay Language

hello malay speaking people as well :D I don't really know malay, but I should say I know more malay words than Indonasean, considering My Mother/grandmother/grandfather/auntie can speak Indonasean, my auntie/uncle/cousins can speak Malay and I can speak malay/indonasean/chinese and english.

What the f*** am I crapping about, dammit. Apa la jadi...

Crapping=feeling bored must be =D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top