Discussion Manga Mommies' & Daddies' Corner

Raine_Joybringer

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
1,248
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

I'm not a mum exactly... but heck, I look after enough kids at church. XD

And I do read Naruto and some other manga to my little brother too. He denies it, but I know he loves it when I do the voices. =P
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

Raine_Joybringer said:
I'm not a mum exactly... but heck, I look after enough kids at church. XD

And I do read Naruto and some other manga to my little brother too. He denies it, but I know he loves it when I do the voices. =P
Wow, that's kind of cool. I never heard of people reading manga to kids before. :)
 

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

Luna said:
*gives this thread some love*

Hello mommies!
jeez, at leas one of you manga mommies does, and counting allashandra makes it two, maybe this thread is comong back to life, only to be laft again later by the busy parents until one of us non parents ( couldnt find a better term) wakes it up again :amuse.
Raine_Joybringer said:
And I do read Naruto and some other manga to my little brother too. He denies it, but I know he loves it when I do the voices. =P
always the cosplayer arent you Raine :amuse.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

I'm alive as well, just a bit busy, heh... :sweat


Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuna! Such a rare guest! :luv
 

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

eni said:
I'm alive as well, just a bit busy, heh... :sweat
thank you eni for making my point :p, I am really having a great time having a go at you manga mommies, thats only becuase I like you guys so much it makes it fun :glomp.
 

jim mayniam

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

i'm new, so i thought that i would stop by and throw my daddy hat into the party :p i'm a single father of 3, 2 of which are of reading age. i usually get to read or watch all the anime and manga i can stand because i've infected them with the bug :D
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

With work and everything, you must be really busy with your kids, how do you find the time to read manga and watch anime? :D
 

jim mayniam

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Manga Mommies' Corner

by putting a book in their hands, as well. they play outside alot too, so sometimes i use that time to do some reading.

on the anime front, usually they just watch it with me if its suitable.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
This is amazing. My 1st time seeing a dad who shares manga with his kids.
So what are their favorite series so far? Do you think reading manga and watching animes together create a better bonding? :)
 

jim mayniam

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
my daughter is partial to ranma 1/2, death note and love hina! and my son is reading through kenshin and bleach. my youngest is still learning to read, so usually i read to him...we're trailing along behind the oldest as he finishes volumes.


and yeah, i think it does...it sounds cliche, but they're my best friends; it makes it hard to be a "father" sometimes, though. ;)
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Finally, another daddy here ( NJT, a founding member of MH, is also a father. )

I think that's a good thing though that you treat your kids as best friends rather than your children and want to spend time with them that way. I always liked reading American comics with my dad - as well as playing sports and video games with him, etc.

I always thought he was one of the coolest dads - and it did make me respect him a little more as a father too (so whenever he scolded me, I listened). I'm sure your kids will think that way of you too.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Whoa...Jim pratically introduces his children to shonen. :)
I guess it's the bonding between parents and child once they share the same interests. You find it easier to communicate and they can relate to you better if you ever need to quote any examples from the manga.
 

Az3r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
72
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Speaking about daddies, I practically introduce manga/anime world to my dad. He's a kind of an artist in his prime (won a painting contest once and people turns to him for artistic works), so it's easy to talk about manga/anime with him. He usually comments about the artwork. He told me once Bleach doesn't have good artworks so he doesn't like it. His favorite series are Dragon Ball (original), Kung Fu Boy, and Detective Conan by the way.
 

jim mayniam

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
thanks for the kind words, ya'll :D

@GK- yeah, the kids and i read american comics and play video games, as well...we are equal opportunity g33ks ;)

@nami- when ethan first started reading bleach, he would always cover his face and say "don't kick me, dad!!!" whenever one of us arrived home.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's hilarious, jim :D

He needs to work out and get as tough as Ichigo, apparently... xD
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
thanks for the kind words, ya'll :D

@GK- yeah, the kids and i read american comics and play video games, as well...we are equal opportunity g33ks ;)

@nami- when ethan first started reading bleach, he would always cover his face and say "don't kick me, dad!!!" whenever one of us arrived home.
you mean you don't greet your kids with a kick in the face? you have to keep them on their guard. :p

that's awesome, though, that you can share your anime/manga love with your kids. you sound like a cool dad ;) no kids here. i'm going to be an aunt for the first time in a few months and that's about as close as i want to get to having kids, at least for now.
 

jim mayniam

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's hilarious, jim :D

He needs to work out and get as tough as Ichigo, apparently... xD
lol...he is a little on the thin side...he eats like a horse though. i was the same way; it's still a challenge for me to gain weight.

you mean you don't greet your kids with a kick in the face? you have to keep them on their guard. :p

that's awesome, though, that you can share your anime/manga love with your kids. you sound like a cool dad ;) no kids here. i'm going to be an aunt for the first time in a few months and that's about as close as i want to get to having kids, at least for now.
thanks :) congrats on the impending aunt hood...it's a lot like being a grand parent in the sense that when you are done with them you can send them home...lol.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
It's the first time I've been to this thread. hee.

no, I'm not married, nor do I have kids.

Although, I've always planned it out that if I were to have kids in the future, well, apart from a jap name (one will be named kenji. :XD) to one of my future kids, I'll introduce them to anime as early as possible. :kukuku

So that by the age of 5 they can speak nihongo. keke.
 

godofthesunn

Ghosted
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
1,374
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
with all due respect wouldnt it be better to intorduce your children to something beneficial like music.. I dont see how manga will help your cosplaying daughter or ninja son become anything more than an even more intense version of yourselves.. but if you somehow think that teacing them japanese will ... better aid them in the game of life well my mommies and daddies go ahead and let me know how their lives turn out.. i'll be around.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
with all due respect wouldnt it be better to intorduce your children to something beneficial like music.. I dont see how manga will help your cosplaying daughter or ninja son become anything more than an even more intense version of yourselves.. but if you somehow think that teacing them japanese will ... better aid them in the game of life well my mommies and daddies go ahead and let me know how their lives turn out.. i'll be around.
Manga is a part of many things that I introduce to my children. Don't think we're just sitting there the whole afternoon reading comics. Both of my children learn an instrument and both are in sports clubs.

Also cosplaying is an effective way to encourage the creativity of a child. Costume play is very popular with every kid, be it a princess, a cowboy, a superhero or simply mother's dancing dress and her expensive make up. The whole process of cosplaying a manga character is very interesting and involves a variety of things to do. After choosing the character we need to make a sketch of the clothes and think about how to make them with real fabrics and what material we can use for decorations, juwels, shoes and other things. How can I wear the hair this way without cutting or permanent coloring mine? Expensive fabric is not allowed, so what cheap materials are useable? This way, we go to the shop together. They learn the names of many things, like different fabrics and tools. They learn how to measure their size and how to sew. Crafting is very important for the well coordination of the body and also the cognitive development. Not to mention the roleplaying afterwards is simply one of the most effective pedagogic ways for a healthy childhood and growing-up phase.

Sure, introducing to cultural important things like classic music or popular culture is important but nonetheless is fun and games and also nonsense. And the parents really should be part of this fun side.

Besides that, I think my children do know much more about Eastasian culture already then any of their teachers. They don't need to learn the language for this. Learning about an foreign culture is never wrong and the popular media of that area are the best starting point to catch the interest of young people.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J
Top