Marvel Comics Discussion Thread!

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
oh yeah, that was a Wizard magazine cover. pretty sure it wasn't done but Marvel, though if you really want some more green ladies you can always read She-Hulk >_>


green girls scare me tho

Anyways talking about real comics, anyone enjoying Messiah Complex? So far art seems consistent but Marvel has yet to deliver a good crossover. Well I'm not sure this is so much a crossover since its written by one man. Well if only they kept the same artist they started out with. Now its all exaggerated again.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's not a Skrull... that's Elektra with mild Skrull make-up... heh.
 

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
7,348
Reaction score
11
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Still hot. XD

AND OMFG.

Messiah Complex messed me up because #@!$$#@ is #@$%!#@$% and it's bloody annoying because, I was already happy with what we thought happened. God-frikkin-damnit.

And Sub-Mariner was a totaly mind-fuck. The ending, and..you know. Stuff. I'm really glad I read this title :p
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What did we think happened? Are you talking about his death a while back? Messiah Complex seems pretty good so far, though I think they nerfed the New X-men a little bit.


Anyways Sub-Mariner was good as always...cant wait to see how that ending ends up biting him in the ass.

I'm enjoying Ultimate Spider-Man right now...is that wrong of me?
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ultimate Spiderman is way better then Amazing.

And don't be dissing the ulitmate universe, its been great addition. I'm not so sure about Jeph Loeb's Ultimates 3 but it has always been great. Well Ultimate X-men isn't that great of a read but the other series for teh most part are magic.
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I love the ultimate universe...I prefer the Ultimate storylines almost always but I have talked to some people who don't really care for Ultimate Spider-Man...Even though he's more Spidey that the current mainstream (in his own titles...hes Spidey whenever he's not in his own).
 

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
7,348
Reaction score
11
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I LOVE Ult. Spideyman. It brings me back to when Peter was still a teen, when he was still cracking jokes and...worring about not so trivial things.

I usually prefer his Ultimate counterpart than his current...erm...emo status? No one's fair to poor Petey nowadays. XD

And I quite like Ultimate X Men :p Because they're all a team, and not...seperated like the mainstream. As much as I really like X Men 616, I do not appreciate the fact that they aren't even in a 'team' anymore. Well...currently they are (which is why I'm quite liking Messiah Complex), but yeah.

wrstljr:
Yep. Cable's death made me so happy, and now he's alive. BLEH. Kinda annoying.
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I read this week's release yesterday and now i'm really disappointed to see another summers in the 616. The world can do with less of them, if only Wanda said her spells differently...
No...more...Summers :XD
But overall, this has been a pretty interesting week for the Marvel Universe, especially in Sub-Mariner. :D

[dz]Told you, told you, told you, told you! :spaz[/dz]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
As for Ultimate Spidey vs Classic Spidey, to me Classic Spidey ended with the Clone Saga (in the 90's).

Classic Spidey (that is, from the 60's to the Clone Saga) was an excellent character with a LOT of memorable arcs, most of which were unique and firsts as far as American comics writing went. Read any of the Essentials or download the old Spidey stories and you'll see a lot of genius in the writing. And art, as well.

Spidey had to grow up eventually, and the writers did their best to work with that. But eventually the writers would give him such a terrible story that you just wanted to forget it ever happened. For me, that's what happened - I actually stopped collecting American comics altogether in the mid-90's, just because it had given me such a terrible taste.

Nowadays these days Spidey is just another Marvel character that the writers are trying to salvage to me, and they have their ups and downs, but I'm not going to follow a Spidey book constantly anymore. Just pick an issue up here and there, especially if I like the art.

I have been following the One More Day storyline but it's dreadfully an "ordinary story" for something so hyped up to be a mega-event. Must we be hammered on the head again with another "Save Aunt May" storyarc? And even if Aunt May dies, it still wouldn't be as excellent as how it was done in Amazing Spidey #350. And the delays aren't helping, either.

Ultimate Spidey was fun for a while and had lots of potential, but there are a lot of different things about the regular cast that I just didn't like enough for it to be as memorable as the classic stories.
 
Last edited:

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well... in One More Day the only way its going to be a mega-event is if the go through an
kill off Mary Jane. Which they might actually do. I mean Peter said no but she's willing and if in the end they just give up on Aunt May then well Kingpin will "die" since Peter promised to kill him and we all know that the writers will never kill off Kingpin. Though yes old spiderman arcs are very fun to read. Clone Saga is incredibly long so I've only read bits and pieces here and there but the Death of Gwen Stacy, Origin of Venom, and anything with Carnage were mighty enjoyable.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yeah, I've heard of that rumor but it doesn't seem like they are going that route - at least from the chapters I've read so far.
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sensational Spiderman's chapter my friend aka The real beginning of the arc.
 

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
7,348
Reaction score
11
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
^I was actually thinking it would be a divorce from MJ as opposed to Aunt May D: *is too gullible*

Now you worry me...

I'd prefer May gone, than MJ. We can't live without out original Marvel pin-up girl, can we?! D:

I just have to say though...this week's S-Spideyman really creeped me out.The whole writing was too grim and stuff for a Spidey comic. It was still a good read though :)
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
I have a lot of catching up to do, but..

WWH = Very good ending, happy with the choice the writing team took, although not the conclusion.

Sub-Mariner = Inredible writing, by a team that respects the past, and respects that there used to be a friendship and alliane between those two characters. It also make sense. Also Tony Stark is a tool.

Initiative = Blergh cop out, the secret identity was.. meh and what the scarlet spiders did was also stupidly blergh, if it becomes part of the continuity I'll cry bloody retcon murder.

New Avengers is getting better and better, it's like a mystery novel now, rather than just pure action. I like it.

X-men
is gambit dead? By dead I mean.. you know kinda dead since they all come back anyway but dead non-theless?
Also despite all the cable haters, he is the most logical choice to have the baby, seeing as how he IS the ORIGINAL savior with a messiah complex.

Thor is getting better and better also, I want him to come back to mainstream though, even if his story's are presented as more realistic and relating to the world now.


Anyone know what the heck is going on with Ultimates 3? Seems like they really are planning on killing off/ending the Ultimate universe the way they are writing the series. It has absolutely no sense of safety and it feels absolutely chaotic (not in a bad unorganized way, in a shit, anyone can die, even the main character in the first chapter) kind of way..

Very suicidal approach, I wonder if the result will be a great story or a botched up ending due to rushing a way to end the series..
 
Last edited:

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ultimate Spiderman is far from ending, if anything Ultimatum is just a just an excuse for Loeb to do something crazy. While sometimes crazy is good I miss the old Ultimates, it focused less on the sex. A lot less. More on good stories, boobs can only get me interested for so long.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
>_>

 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
hahahaha where is that pic from?
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
A friend showed to me - so I have no idea really.
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well its a pic from sensational spiderman, and I'm guessing its Joe Quesada. Marvel's Cheif Editor, artist for One More Day and most hated man in the comics industry. Mary Jane and Peter are going to have a break up for sure, though I'm totally psyched for the artist coming in for Brand New Day so hopefully I wont care too much.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
I imagine they'll remind readers there is a living twin daughter of Gwen that is her spiting image to readers as well as his new love interest..

Unless somehow Kitty breaks up with Russian Peter, and starts dating, Russian only in ancenstry, American by birth Peter =)
 
Top