1. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We Never Learn, U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. Tell us what you think of the newest additions to the WSJ line-up HERE!
  4. New Week, New Contest!
    We're back to the regular contests. This time, it's Brothers Avatar & Signature Set. Showcase brotherly love in sets!

Voting has begun for the Caligraphy summer contest!
  5. The Waifu Wars 2017 have begun! Show us your love!
  6. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Discussion Merlin

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Notice me Escanor senpai, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Meliodaf

Meliodaf Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

United States
    I still think the fallen angel theory sticks and I think we're about to find out that she went too far in researching demons or something else sinister and or dangerous despite being told not to but obviously her thirst for knowledge got the best of her. And thus we have our sin of gluttony.How she met Meliodas is another story and I have no idea they ended up traveling together

2. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    I'm leaning towards a goddess/demon hybrid experiment created by the Demon King.

3. Baum

Baum Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Germany
    This is probably more suited for the crazy theory(?) thread but...whatever.

One other thing I could see being the case would be Merlin being the bastard child of a goddess and a demon. She might've lived with the goddesses as a child/young adult but had neither clan's inherent powers and was treated like trash, sort of like a squib in Harry Potter maybe XD, she fell in love with a goddess clan member but got rejected as someone who isn't of pure blood (thus her most embarrassing memory) and she probably also tried to research her second nature as a demon which got the head honchos to shit on her some more.

She eventually meets Mel and Liz 1.0, decides to flee the back and forth between the two big clans and learned to use conventional magic to an excessive degree, maybe killing someone important (to her) in the process of her magical research.

It'd fit the generally more tragic backgrounds of the other sins, it might explain her long live (can goddesses die of age?) and it'd definitely explain how she met Meliodas, who's a reject himself since he betrayed the demons.

Aloy likes this.
  4. Demonspeed

Demonspeed The Hierophant

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Global Moderator

France
    Goddesses can die of old age, Zaratras said no one can live more 3000 years like Meliodas when he was drunk and he is a Druid so it's probably true. Unless Hybrids have a longer lifespan somehow so it would not explain her longevity, since she is the Sin Mel knows the longest, she was an acquaintance before he even met Gowther, which is crazy.

5. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    Maybe she's ageless knowing Merlin I could see her developing a magic like that. Or like you said hybrids could live longer than either.

6. eefrit

eefrit He who controls the pants...

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

United States
    I think it may depend on what her magic actually is. The Databook revealed it's name to be Infinity and this past chapter revealed that she can create a simple ice spell that just happens to be capable of lasting an eternity until she dispels it. Perhaps her magic allows her spells to exist indefinitely, and, if that is the case, then she could have cast a non-aging spell on herself, which would last as long as she willed it.

oxtopus and Demonspeed like this.
  7. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    Does anyone believe Merlin could of cured the king another way but she was to eager to try her cure angel item?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  8. Escanorzoldyck

Escanorzoldyck Registered User

Holy Britannian Empire
    Can you see the futur :huh??

oxtopus and Demonspeed like this.
  9. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    What the hell is Merlin true name Myrddin? Lucifer? Eve? Lilith? As for her race goddess/demon hybrid the 1st of her kind.

10. Theforsakensoul

Theforsakensoul Registered User

Canada
    Just curious but where are the names eve and Lilith coming from?

11. Yakkun

Yakkun Registered User

Germany
    Eve as in Adam and Eve, Lilith I believe is the name of a female demon and a halfblood creature from some culture's mythology, I forgot which one

12. Bigbootyjudy

Bigbootyjudy Registered User

Band of the Hawks 2
    Lilith is from Jewish folklore (she's not in the Talmud or Bible). She was kind-of a 'proto-Eve' who was supposed to be Adams wife, but she rebelled (and, for that time period that meant she had opinions) against him and she became a demon. She's also seen to be a kind of succubus.

13. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    Nakaba was like so you fans have been waiting for answer about Merlin okay I give you her age and ability. But guess what thanks to her heritage possesses a natural resistance to the decrees of the Commandants. Oh she also the daughter of Belialuin which the Ten Commandants know about and are scared of it and she's a survivor from it's destruction. You thought Merlin was her real guess what it's not and humans can't even pronounce her true name either oh and the Ten Commandments are shit scared of it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  14. kiriya

kiriya MH Senpai

Australia
    Oh, definitely.

Merlin states herself in that extra that she modified Cure Angel to eat tumours. She also states that what Bartra had was a stomach ulcer, which isn't a tumour of any kind. Cure Angel wouldn't have cured what he was suffering from at all. I'm pretty sure she just wanted to mess with him, and made it sound like there was nothing else she could do so that he'd have no choice but to eat the scary bug.

15. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    Could Merlin be something truly unique and was somehow actually born from the magic itself that the 5 clans were fighting for?

16. Demonspeed

Global Moderator

France
    She is most likely from a race now extinct. The Commandments probably killed them all.

17. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    Trying to figure out Merlin race is so annoying humans can't pronounce her true name the Commandants crapped themselves hearing it and her birthplace. If she's not a Goddess or Demon or a hybrid of the two. I can't think of a race other than them that would warrant the reaction we got from Grayroad and Fraudrin unless she somehow connected to that magic.

18. XXGenesis

XXGenesis Registered User

Turkmenistan
    Merlin's Prime Magic ability is eternally broken!!! I love her so much for that...

Ppl may think this makes her invincible or super OP....it doesn't it just makes her very haxx..

I wonder how someone stronger than her would be able to deal with her infinite magic....

Imagine a RPG Final boss with 100K health & you have infinite repetitive magic casted..That's pretty much Merlin's fighting style infinite spam of w/e

19. Demonspeed

Global Moderator

France
    I was rereading some chapters of this arc and realized we never really paid attention to Hundun's mother, which is Merlin's favorite animal. I typed Hundun on Google and found that it's related to Chinese mythology.

20. Aloy

Aloy Registered User

England
    I did I wouldn't be surprised if Hawk Mama turns out to be Hundun Mother.