Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm most looking forward to Arakawa Under the Bridge. Looks interesting.

Hey Kaiten, apparently the Arakawa river is sister-rivers with the Potomac river?

[kaiten]just googled it. It's true. Weird. :blink[/kaiten]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Can't wait for the House of Five Leaves anime. I really hope they don't mess it up.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's from the same studio that did Samurai Champloo so I'm hoping for the best.
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
//House of Five Leaves anime//
what is it abt??
 

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
//House of Five Leaves anime//
what is it abt??
from viz:
Masterless samurai Akitsu Masanosuke is a skilled and loyal swordsman, but his naïve, diffident nature has time and again caused him to be let go by the lords who have employed him. Hungry and desperate, he becomes a bodyguard for Yaichi, the charismatic leader of a gang called "Five Leaves." Although disturbed by the gang's sinister activities, Masa begins to suspect that Yaichi's motivations are not what they seem. And despite his misgivings, the deeper he's drawn into the world of the Five Leaves, the more he finds himself fascinated by these devious, mysterious outlaws.
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdyiHmINg1s
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
It's from the same studio that did Samurai Champloo so I'm hoping for the best.
I think that's mostly because Watanabe was helming the project.

Ergo Proxy was terribly flawed, Michiko & Hatchin was an improvement but only kept that up for the first half of the series.

It's a good thing Five Leaves is based on a manga, though. Less chance it'll be terrible.

Seinen anime I'm looking forward to this season:
- Working! might be fun
- Arakawa Under the Bridge (Noitamina)
- Giant Killing
- Rainbow
- Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (Masaaki Yuasa, Noitamina, Madhouse, how can this not be awesome?)
- Trigun Badlands Rumble

I've been finding myself liking quite a lot of Young GanGan series. Bamboo Blade, Sunred, Hanamaru Youchien... Hopefully the upcoming adaptations are just as enjoyable.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've always been a bit skeptical about Young Gangan. I've been traumatized by bi-shojo and moe, I have nightmares about high, squeaky anime voices. As a magazine with it's fair share of moe, Young Gangan scares me a bit. I need to keep in mind it has some epic gag manga: Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to and Arakawa Under the Bridge are two of the funniest series out there. There are other series I've heard good things about (Bamboo Blade, till Death Do Us Part, Saki), someday I'll get over myself and read them.
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Naturally they have their fair share of crap; but putting aside a certain prejudice I might hold towards those kind of magazines, there's a surprising amount of decency there.
Bamboo Blade is surprisingly respectable, and fun, for something that looks like trash.
Sunred is just a very funny parody of sentai.
Hanamaru Youchien I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for now. It has Azumanga/Yotsuba like qualities, steering clear from Ichigo Mashimaro-type implied pedoness. But we'll see how this one pans out.

Those along with the upcoming anime adaptations of other GanGan series that don't look like crap, make for a rather large amount of quality, in a place I'd never expect.

Just to be clear, my magazines of choice are usually Morning, Spirits, Ikki, Afternoon, or Evening.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
At some point I'll try Bamboo Blade, we have volumes in at work, might be good to read when it gets slow.

Add Manga Erotics and those are my favorite anthologies as well. Comic Cue is intriguing, I have a bunch of their one shots one shots downloaded. Really interesting looking stuff.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Never heard of Manga Erotics. Sounds dirty. Who publishes it and what are some series I might know? Recommendations on new reads are welcome as well :)

Edit: Just noticed this was my first post here. Sad I know :p
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Manga Erotics F (full name) is from a smaller publisher, Ohta Shuppan. They specialize in less mainstream, borderline underground comics. It's comparable to Comic Beam or IKKI, with whom they share quite a few mangaka. Ristorante Paradiso and Aoi Hana are probably the most famous title. They've serialized work by Kitoh, Matsumoto Jiroh, Samura Hiroaki, YAMAMOTO Naoki, Furuya, etc.

The name does make it sound like ****** :p
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Did a random search of series from that magazine. Ristorante Paradiso and Aoi Hana don't really stand out to me though I might read them eventually. But Bradherley no Basha does sound good. Plus its short so that's a bonus. Even better is that Kotonoha has already completely scanned it :tem
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kitoh's (Bokurano) second short story collection, Hallucination From the Womb and his current series Owari to Hajimari no Miles are both really good. The former is pretty graphic (you've been warned). I haven't read Bradherley no Basha but it looks good. It's by the mangaka of Mugen no Juunen, it's got to at least be interesting.
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Saying its graphic just makes me want to read it more. I'll make sure to check those out because I loved Bokurano. I still haven't read Palepoli yet either even though I downloaded it like two weeks ago...With all this and catching up on Nononono and Real, I've got a full weekend. :D (If I actually do any of this -_-;)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Palepoli is still messing with my head. Great series but sooo warped. Enjoy.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
God Berserk got me hooked up with Seinen mangas once more. Downloading Palepoli as I write this *drool*

Let's hope it's brutal.
 

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
God Berserk got me hooked up with Seinen mangas once more. Downloading Palepoli as I write this *drool*

Let's hope it's brutal.
Are you expecting Palepoli to be like Berserk? :blink
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Nope, not at all. But Berserk got me hooked up on seinen again. I'm hoping that Palepoli will be brutal, not in the way of people slaughtering each other and tons of blood or something like that but more like brutal as in "I hope it'll be worth the download and blow my mind" since I've heard a lot of good things about the artwork.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
According to Kaiten, its just completely messed up in a good way. Basically a mindfuck. Garden was pretty out there and Palepoli is supposed to far worse.


Read it. So weird. Its gonna haunt my dreams :s
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
So Blai finally read Berserk? Welcome to manhood
 
Top