Shoujo - Nana by Ai Yazawa | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Nana by Ai Yazawa

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
NANA Old Discussion/Predictions Thread

I'm not usually a reader of shouo titles, but this one has me totally hooked after two volumes (I'm buying them from Viz.) Usually I wouldn't give these titles a glance, but I was recommended to read this book by three girls I knew, so I figured it had to be something I should check out if I was hearing about it that much. I'm totally not disappointed at all - this has all the feel of watching a good drama movie with some very personable female characters.

I'll admit Nana Osaki is a lot cooler than Nana Komatsu, but I was surprised at Nana Komatsu's perspective on men - it wasn't something I even thought about before - how women might look at men and not even see them as humans, but men, men, men. Maybe I was just dense but it explains how some girls I knew acted - feeling uncomfortable with being "friends" with a guy - because they're so romance-inclined. Anyway, I enjoyed reading this story, very well written and I totally love the art style. The scene of when Nana Osaki first saw her boyfriend, Ren, was just fantastic.

So, anybody read this and like it also?

I'm only on volume 2 of Viz's version, so if any of you guys have read past that point, please avoid spoiling me ;)

Also, if you would like to provide links to where to download this, please go ahead~ Thanks! ~~ links provided~~NM

Last edited by a moderator:

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Nana Discussion

I have read it to vol 2.
What I really like about this manga is that it deals with a more serious theme. It's not too lovey-dovey like some other titles I've seen so far.
The personalties of the two Nanas are really interesting especially as they confront each other in many ways.
But , sorry to disappoint you, GK, for me it's not astonishing that it will keep me reading the other volumes, too.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Really? The way you started your post led me to think you were enjoying it then BOOM - you dropped the bomb on my head and say that at the end XD

Interesting as it's apparently "the most popular shoujo title in Japan - over 22 million copies sold!'

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Well... I can't put a finger on why I don't like it in the end. It just didn't hook me up so much. Perhaps because I prefer a more slight fare....? I dunno.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

When you say slight fare, what exactly do you mean (?)

Less complicated stories? ( Sorry, that was what I thought you meant )

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Ah, I meant more the happy lovey dovey stories.
It makes me feel better reading such stuff.
Nana is very serious and reading it will not light up your mood but will make you think about the story, the characters...
It's not a manga for "in between".

Airy

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I know what you mean, Miso.

I like Nana. The concept is original and one can really sympathize with the characters. There was a movie last year based on the first three, four volumes of the manga. It was wonderful and two of the best singles of last year came from that movie (one from "Reira" and another CD, which I own, from "Nana"). Beautiful songs. Wonderful story. It was probably my favorite movie of last year.

But, it's very difficult for me to keep reading. I'll buy the latest vol and I'll make a face - do I really want to be absorbed into this world experience all of their triumphs and pain? It's emotionally charged, so if I just want a light read to cheer me up, I avoid picking up my Nana manga. Also, the story is constantly moving and situations are constantly changing and there's certain plot twists that... well, to be unspoilery - ow, the angst! T_T

I would put Nana up there with the U.S. graphic novel "Strangers in Paradise" - it's unforgettable, it's beautiful, it's poetic, but it all comes with a price.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Airy said:
I know what you mean, Miso.

I like Nana. The concept is original and one can really sympathize with the characters. There was a movie last year based on the first three, four volumes of the manga. It was wonderful and two of the best singles of last year came from that movie (one from "Reira" and another CD, which I own, from "Nana"). Beautiful songs. Wonderful story. It was probably my favorite movie of last year.

But, it's very difficult for me to keep reading. I'll buy the latest vol and I'll make a face - do I really want to be absorbed into this world experience all of their triumphs and pain? It's emotionally charged, so if I just want a light read to cheer me up, I avoid picking up my Nana manga. Also, the story is constantly moving and situations are constantly changing and there's certain plot twists that... well, to be unspoilery - ow, the angst! T_T

I would put Nana up there with the U.S. graphic novel "Strangers in Paradise" - it's unforgettable, it's beautiful, it's poetic, but it all comes with a price.
Now I'm starting to understand. ^_^ Thanks for explaining.

Hmm, looks like I'm into for an emotional roller coaster if I continue to read any further, huh? Well, well... XD

SilvaShado

Reaction score

Yeah, Nana is quite an emotional rollercoaster. And oh, the angst! I'm reading it in Shojo Beat. I can't say what chapter it is because it's not printed in SB, but I'm guessing it's chapter 15 since they've only been doing 1 chapter per issue and this is the 15th issue.

Anyway, I think the only reason I can stomach the angst is that I'm only reading 1 chapter of it amongst a wide variety of other manga.

I actually thought I wouldn't like this at all, but it has caught my interest and I'm enjoying it. Though the end of this most recent issue was really... angsty... don't want to spoil anything, but I'm dreading the next chapter.

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I just realized that it has already reached volume 15 in Japan! :blink Never expected that. In Germany it has four volumes so far and I thought that was it.

Nana is surely unique. I can say that although I don't intend to read it further. Either you like the emotional rollercoaster or you don't.
But nevertheless it's something special and not a stereotype manga..

Ruri

I got into Nana a few months ago, and I expected great things, since I loved Paradise Kiss (also by Ai Yazawa). I'm on the third volume right now, and so far I like it very much. It's definitely an angsty story, but that hasn't bothered me too much - most likely because I'm reading it in small doses. ^^ What I like most about this manga is that it isn't a typical shoujo; it deals with the ups and downs of romance in a more mature, sincere way than most other mangas do. The two Nanas are also very well-rounded characters who appeal to me alot.

And of course the artwork is amazing. :whoo

Saithan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark

I don't know if I should consider myself lucky for not having started on this manga or unlucky...

I like to read mangas with some depth, and whilst Nana seems to be having that I conclude from what you've said so far that it's a lot more dramatic and that is not something I want to get caught up in. Seriously Ichigo 100% was a shonan (or shounan) manga and I got pretty sucked into all the angst and stuff that I simply had had enough.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I need something to cheer me up, both action-wise and romance-wise, which probably explains why I like Mitsuru Adachi's mangas so much.

aszure

Reaction score
Country
Australia

nana has been scanlated a bit past volume 12, you can get it off of neverwhere, the lurker bot

Shanice-chan

Reaction score

I really think NANA is fantastic. =] I love the illustrations, plot, characters... Almost everything. Heh, it's just not suitable for my age. LOL. XD

sojiroseta98

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Personally i love Nana never thought i would since this is technically my first shoujo manga ever. But yeah i got into it when the show came out cuz i watched the first like 17 episodes then (at that point its at like vol 4 or 5 in the manga) so then i looked really hard since i was bored with nothing to do with all the stupid filler eps of my favourite animes goin on these days...plus the show left me on a cliffhanger so i had to look for the manga and i found up to Vol 17...well only one chapter is out for that vol. (ch61) but yeah i love nana so far very realistic...angsty to death but i love it

i'm kinda dissapointed though cuz i don't think a chapter comes out every week like naruto or bleach but then again those chapters are about 5 normal naruto/bleach chapters so it evens out

all in all great show but like someone mentioned previously it is indeed not something u wanna read to cheer u up lol but i love the realism as much as we all love our shinigamis, samurais, ninjas, mechas and so on...its good to check up on earth once in a while and Nana's a good way

of course i wouldn't wanna forget to mention that "rose" by Tsushiya Anna (Nana) and
"A Little Pain" by Olivia (reira) are two of my favourite songs right now without a doubt (videos r on youtube.com too)[br]Posted on: September 05, 2006, 05:10:37 PM_________________________________________________actually the only reason i even got into the show was cuz i was on anime news network looking at the fall 2005 anime preview and it was said to be the best so i said hey why not....never looked back

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Well for those looking for a light read of course you wouldn't choose NANA.
It's all about the two characters and their world, and you read them because you relate to them, unlike unreal settings where half the reason you read is because of an interesting new world perspective given you.

NANA is considered josei manga, and its target readers are the young female adults. If you were such a young female adult, you can definitely empathize with the characters because their situations are so real some of them might have happened to you.

That's what I love about NANA. That things are so real, they are so exactly how women behave. Mind you, it's just one of the three manga to make me cry like a girl (although I am a girl). If it's an emotional rollercoaster like you say it is, hell definitely it was written that way.

I suggest you give it another chance. Volume 2 is only about Nana Komatsu's first boyfriend and that's not even half the story. Remember there are two main characters involved and by that time, the other Nana hasn't been introduced yet. I tell you, when the other Nana is revealed you'll love it. She's the clincher, if you ask me.

sojiroseta98

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Miso said:
I just realized that it has already reached volume 15 in Japan! :blink Never expected that. In Germany it has four volumes so far and I thought that was it.

Nana is surely unique. I can say that although I don't intend to read it further. Either you like the emotional rollercoaster or you don't.
But nevertheless it's something special and not a stereotype manga..
17 actually jus came out a few weeks ago i love nana its like a drug i swear

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I'm on volume 4 right now, waiting on volume 5 to come out I think this month, but since it takes so long for them to come out in America (it's been a year and a half since volume 1!) my enthusiasm for it isn't as high as it was. It's still the only shoujo title I really read, though.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

GK, there are Edited Mangas for Nana up to the current chapter and the Edited Manga group dows a very good job with them.

I really like this one as well, though I'm a bit confused by the latest chapters. So does it jump from the present to the future (where Nana sings in a Londonese bar), or am I mistaken?

sojiroseta98

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Gold Knight said:
I'm on volume 4 right now, waiting on volume 5 to come out I think this month, but since it takes so long for them to come out in America (it's been a year and a half since volume 1!) my enthusiasm for it isn't as high as it was. It's still the only shoujo title I really read, though.
yeah actually if u go to any torrent downloading site like torrentspy.com u can actually find them all the way till 15 in a package so do it up ur missing out...although since ur only that far i suggest u just watch the episodes subbed since they're at like 33 (i'm not sure cuz i quit watching back at episode 17 when i found out that the manga was WAY further (i'm impatient) so i suggest you watch as much of the anime as you can cuz if u read those mangas it'll ruin it for you...and if you don't wanna d/l em or can't they're on youtube ight

since i'm such a nice guy here's a link to the manga

http://mangatracker.kicks-ass.net:6969/stats.html?info_hash=3a0c288c017212a35d6f0e678738d843a781f765

and here's the best site for nana related things including the live action movie 1 and the upcoming second one
(i hope u knew there's a live action movie)

http://lovenana4ever.cjb.net/

as u can see

i trully (and maybe saddly) am nana obssessed lol