Fall NFL Thread

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, I had picked the Bengals over the Texans, so assuming that the Packers don't throw this away somehow, I'll be 1-1 today.

I think that the Colts are playing better right now, whereas the Ravens are really injured on defense. Even with the return of Ray Lewis, I don't see it happening. I'm seeing a close Colts win, so 24-21 or 27-24.

Seattle haven't been great on the road this season, going 3-5. I think it's an insult to Washington that they're the underdogs at home. Redskins to win by three, 20-17.
I stopped watching the game a while ago, but I doubt they'll lose. Packers advance. I'm 0-2 tonight :fail

Well, haven't the Ravens been beat up on defense all season long, but still have found ways to win games? :hee I think it's time we stop making excuses for them.

It's true. They haven't been really good on the road, but they've been getting better. They lost most of their road games early in the season, but they've won their last two away. A lot of people believe Seattle is playing better than most teams right now including WAS, so I don't think it's that much of an insult.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Damn, I feel bad for AP. It just feels like in this day and age a NFL team can't possibly make it to the super bowl stage without an Elite QB at the helm. Something the Vikings haven't had in several years not even with Brett Favre who had one of his best statistical seasons in years with them (I didn't consider Favre elite that season despite the numbers it seemed more like to me it was fluke he was having such a good season).
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Damn, I feel bad for AP. It just feels like in this day and age a NFL team can't possibly make it to the super bowl stage without an Elite QB at the helm. Something the Vikings haven't had in several years not even with Brett Favre who had one of his best statistical seasons in years with them (I didn't consider Favre elite that season despite the numbers it seemed more like a fluke season to me if anything).
Yeah, you just can't win without an elite QB because the ability to quickly move the ball down the field is so important in a close game.

Well, without the Saints attempting to kill Favre, they may have won that game. I don't know what actually happened, although the players accused by the Goodell were innocent, apparently. There's nothing wrong with attempting to kill the opposing QB anyway.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Joe Webb :teehee

Yeah, you just can't win without an elite QB because the ability to quickly move the ball down the field is so important in a close game.

Well, without the Saints attempting to kill Favre, they may have won that game. I don't know what actually happened, although the players accused by the Goodell were innocent, apparently. There's nothing wrong with attempting to kill the opposing QB anyway.
Innocent is not the right word. Because the bounty system was started by coaches, Taglibue decided it would inappropriate to suspend players. Even if they were active participants, accepting money, they were only following orders. Had the players instituted the bounty program themselves (something that historically has taken place in the NFL), then suspension would have been more appropriate.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

ikr? :P

Innocent is not the right word. Because the bounty system was started by coaches, Taglibue decided it would inappropriate to suspend players. Even if they were active participants, accepting money, they were only following orders. Had the players instituted the bounty program themselves (something that historically has taken place in the NFL), then suspension would have been more appropriate.
That's why I said "apparently." :D They didn't start it, but I'm pretty sure that Vilma was involved in some of the attempted injuries.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

You mean like Tebow? :derp
A more effective version of Tebow! One that's more inclined to catch the ball, and not have the ball hit the back of his helmet :hee

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I feel like the Ravens will win tomorrow. I envision a lot of Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce carrying the ball and I don't think the traditionally undersized Colts defense will have an answer for it. I might have a different gut feeling if it was on the road, but no. Anyway, I hope they can keep Ray Lewis playing another week. I was rooting for the Bengals as I'd rather play the Patriots than the Broncos in the next round, but whatever.

I think the late game will be a good one. I'm not sure what to make of it, but the better team thus far has been Seattle. But the Redskins being home underdogs scares me so I think they could win.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

A more effective version of Tebow! One that's more inclined to catch the ball, and not have the ball hit the back of his helmet :hee

Exactly! I was actually watching that game and I laughed so hard when that happened.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

I feel like the Ravens will win tomorrow. I envision a lot of Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce carrying the ball and I don't think the traditionally undersized Colts defense will have an answer for it. I might have a different gut feeling if it was on the road, but no. Anyway, I hope they can keep Ray Lewis playing another week. I was rooting for the Bengals as I'd rather play the Patriots than the Broncos in the next round, but whatever.

I think the late game will be a good one. I'm not sure what to make of it, but the better team thus far has been Seattle. But the Redskins being home underdogs scares me so I think they could win.
That's fair.

Um, what were your picks for today's games?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I didn't really make any formal picks. I felt like each game was a tossup, but that was without the news that Ponder wouldn't be playing.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm wondering what type of injury he had that was so severe that he had to be kept out of arguably the biggest game of his career...

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Exactly! I was actually watching that game and I laughed so hard when that happened.
It was just a weird play. He faked it then tried to run up a "invisible" hole. I wonder if he was thinking he could forcibly push the linemen forward like some RB's do occasionally either way it was hilarious.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I can understand that. I made the Packers pick as I just didn't trust Ponder anyway and I thought that the Packers would turn it on in the playoffs. I know that the Vikings had won last week, but I just didn't think it would happen for them this week.

I'm still confused why even an injured Ponder wouldn't have been better than Joe Webb, but whatever. I'll be curious to see what Leslie Frasier's explanation is for this.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm wondering what type of injury he had that was so severe that he had to be kept out of arguably of the biggest game of his career...
They said it was an elbow injury, plus a deep triceps bruise I believe.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

A deeply bruised triceps, assuming it was his throwing arm, would obviously have an effect on his play.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Most definitely. An injury like that would of certainly hindered Ponder's already limited throwing abilities.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: The NFL Thread

I still think that even with his off hand, he would trow better than Webb

anyway, it's looking like a Ravens game to lose. It's a shame that I won't be able to watch the redskins tonight, I'd like to see RGIII doing his thing!
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm going to go 0-3 :pout
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, I am sorry, Gary. I had thought that your Ravens were looking a bit shaky lately, but Lucky's inaccuracy popped up again. Then again, his receivers dropped a bunch of passes, too. I mean, he's thrown the ball 50 times. I thought Chuck Pagano made some poor play calls, such as not going for it on that 4th and 4 from the 5 yard line. I thought that the back up offensive coordinator with Bruce Arians being out sick did a bad job.

The Ravens played well though and the defense played fairly well.

I'm now 1-2 in the Wild Card games, with only my pick of the Packers over the Vikings working out. Come on, Washington, make me .500 for the weekend!
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

RG3 was so hurt in this game, but like I said before "I like Seattle on the road". :moshin OH YEAHHHHH! *KOOL AID MAN VOICE*

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Patriots vs Seattle in the Super bowl. I call it.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, I am sorry, Gary. I had thought that your Ravens were looking a bit shaky lately, but Lucky's inaccuracy popped up again. Then again, his receivers dropped a bunch of passes, too. I mean, he's thrown the ball 50 times. I thought Chuck Pagano made some poor play calls, such as not going for it on that 4th and 4 from the 5 yard line. I thought that the back up offensive coordinator with Bruce Arians being out sick did a bad job.

The Ravens played well though and the defense played fairly well.
Was there a pass completed in the fourth quarter? All I saw was drop after drop. I thought the replacement play-caller didn't do a bad job actually. The Colts ran into our defense. They made some plays and converted first downs, they just couldn't get touchdowns instead of field goals.

I'd say our defense played better than fairly well. They didn't score a point on offense. I don't think this is the case of numbers lying either.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Was there a pass completed in the fourth quarter? All I saw was drop after drop. I thought the replacement play-caller didn't do a bad job actually. The Colts ran into our defense. They made some plays and converted first downs, they just couldn't get touchdowns instead of field goals.

I'd say our defense played better than fairly well. They didn't score a point on offense. I don't think this is the case of numbers lying either.
A big part of why I don't like Luck that much (although he's good/decent) is that he doesn't always hit the players where they need to be hit. It didn't help that his receivers couldn't catch a ball in the fourth quarter. :P

Well, your defense played well, but the Colts ineptitude hurt themselves quite a lot. The Ravens did do a good job hitting Luck, although most of the better teams have done well at that.

______________________

With RG3 going down with injury and the Redskins only recording 70 or 74 yards of total offense in quarters two through four, I went 1-3 this weekend in my picks. The Packers over the Vikings was the only pick I got wrote. :(

I hope RG3's okay going forward.
 
Top