Fall NFL Thread

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Can't that be said about any rookie though? There's some more severe cases, but anyone who gets drafted by a perennial basement-dweller is at an automatic disadvantage. The good organizations cater to the players they spend the most money on.
There are players that have gone to lesser defensive teams and made an immediate impact, however. I don't see Te'o being that type of impact player, however.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

26 - The number of starting QBs the Redskins have had since 1985. Let's see some playoff wins from this regime first before you start bashing other winning QBs :noworry
We're going back that far? The Redskins won two Super Bowls after 1985. With two different quarterbacks.

Flacco's career stats compare well to Jason Campbell's. Actually, they are nearly identical.

Middle Linebacker isn't as valued a position as it was when Lewis came into the league. I think we have talent at the position already, but not anyone who can carry the respect Lewis does or lead. Maybe Jameel McClain, but with his injury, who knows. It'll be interesting to see what Ed Reed does after this season, depending on the outcome.
Middle Linebacker hasn't been considered a high impact position since the 70's :p

Ray Lewis was an exception, most MLB are run stoppers that generate few high impact (sacks, interceptions) plays. Lewis himself was drafted late in the first round, the 26th pick in 1996. He was the Raven's second pick in 1996. Only rare athletes at the position are drafted in the top ten; Urlacher (a college safety), Luke Kuechly, and Rolando McClain are good examples.

Te'o would probably be the most ideal replacement, but I'd have to see how the draft process plays out and where out final drafting position will be before I think that's feasible or not. He's moved from a late first rounder to mid first rounder in most mock drafts. With his Heisman nomination, I think his performance in the Championship game can only help his draft stock, not hurt it. Ozzie doesn't like moving up like that. He did it once for Kyle Boller since the Pats block us from getting Byron Leftwich and we all know how that worked out...
Te'o will be probably be drafted in the second half of the first round. He's not that great an athlete, a lot of his playmaking ability won't translate to the NFL. He's not going to be able to run with "joker" tight ends, and he won't be able to drop into as many soft zones, reducing his interception numbers. His football IQ is very high, his presence will solidify the middle of a defense. But he won't be viewed as a high impact, defensive center piece. I can't imagine a team trading multiple picks to move up and get him either.

There are players that have gone to lesser defensive teams and made an immediate impact, however. I don't see Te'o being that type of impact player, however.
I don't either. A good run stopper, but not the all around player he is in college. He'd best fit a team looking to solidify their run defense, who will always fill his gaps, but might not make many game changing plays.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

We're going back that far? The Redskins won two Super Bowls after 1985. With two different quarterbacks.

Flacco's career stats compare well to Jason Campbell's. Actually, they are nearly identical.
I was just trying to emphasize the carousel. I like RGIII.

And if Jason Campbell had the talent around him like Flacco has had, he might not be a backup. Stats don't tell the whole story. Jason Campbell came into an awful situation with too many OCs for most QBs with a modicum of talent to thrive.

I'm a realist about Flacco, as much as a like to get my feathers up about it. But I can't accept the notion that we win despite him. That's nonsense.

Middle Linebacker hasn't been considered a high impact position since the 70's :p

Ray Lewis was an exception, most MLB are run stoppers that generate few high impact (sacks, interceptions) plays. Lewis himself was drafted late in the first round, the 26th pick in 1996. He was the Raven's second pick in 1996. Only rare athletes at the position are drafted in the top ten; Urlacher (a college safety), Luke Kuechly, and Rolando McClain are good examples.
The tides turned after LT and the shift to a passing game. However, the notion that the position wasn't still an impact position is kind of pointless. One could say the same thing about Safeties up until the last decade or so. But when you have a Hall of Fame caliber player at ANY position they're impact.

And of course he was an exception, he's a legend. He wasn't drafted higher due to size. This was around the same time you saw a lot more of the faster LBs that could run with receivers over the middle and chase down runners off of the stretch play. When you go for speed, you usually sacrifice size, except in rare cases. Ray Lewis and Zach Thomas are the prototype for this type of trend you saw in the 90s.

Honestly, I see a lot of teams moving towards a base defense with 3 Safeties, a lot like what the Giants do. This requires a big, fast Safety hybrid. Most likely a player who was a Linebacker in college. Sort of like what Polamalu was in his prime, Adrian Wilson and what Bernard Pollard is now. We've been seeing the OLB /DE hybrid for years now as a rusher/edge defender. Seeing more of these sort of roaming hybrid DBs seem like a natural progression with all these Freak TEs coming out of college.
 
Last edited:

Ghan

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2012
Messages
433
Reaction score
84
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Super Bowl picks?

I'm going to say the The Broncos have what it takes. I wouldn't be surprised
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Denver and Seattle are the two most complete teams in the postseason right now.

Does that mean they're my SuperBowl choices? Hell no.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Honestly, I think that the Broncos have been a bit overrated this season. During their vaunted 11 game win streak, I think eight of the games were against horrible opposition.

Their defense isn't that great and better QBs expose them. Von Miller has been really solid, but the rest, not so much.

I want to say that we'll win, but I just don't see it. I'm thinking that it could be someone like the Packers, even though they can't stop the run at all.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

So what do we make of the freakshow Minnesota has going on offense right now? It looked sort of dangerous at first...but... :slowly
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

This game is quickly turning uninteresting. The vikings had a good first drive, but not much success after that. Webb established he can definitely run the ball especially around the edges, but his passes are inaccurate. The Vikings need to make some serious adjustments at halftime.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Joe Webb is embarrassing himself :s

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Jesus Christ...it's almost painful to watch
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Joe Webb is embarrassing himself :s

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Jesus Christ...it's almost painful to watch

Embarrassing is not even close to it :XD Did you see the one play where he almost got sacked and threw the ball straight up in the air with multiple green jerseys around ? :epicfacepalm
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Embarrassing is not even close to it :XD Did you see the one play where he almost got sacked and threw the ball straight up in the air with multiple green jerseys around ? :epicfacepalm
That's a rookie type of blunder...but the throws he made towards the end of the half....I'm not sure I've ever seen something more miserable than that. I don't even...
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Don't forget that we all thought that Christian Ponder was bad...AP just needs to get out of Minnesota.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Don't forget that we all thought that Christian Ponder was bad...AP just needs to get out of Minnesota.
We share the exact same sentiments. Where would a decent destination be for AP?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Don't forget that we all thought that Christian Ponder was bad...AP just needs to get out of Minnesota.
That's a bit harsh :lmao

I looked up who was activated as the backup this game....McLeod Bethel-Thompson? Could he do worse than Webb? :s
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

That's a rookie type of blunder...but the throws he made towards the end of the half....I'm not sure I've ever seen something more miserable than that. I don't even...
The Vikings are going to take a L tonight with the way Webb is throwing the ball. On some of his throws he's missing the wide receivers completely, my gosh.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

The Vikings are going to take a L tonight with the way Webb is throwing the ball. On some of his throws he's missing the wide receivers completely, my gosh.
He one-hopped a ball to a wide-open receiver...
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, there is tomorrow's games....
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

That's a bit harsh :lmao

I looked up who was activated as the backup this game....McLeod Bethel-Thompson? Could he do worse than Webb? :s
I've never heard of him. You never know though. He could be the next Tom Brady. :derp

Of course, that's complete bs, but there's a chance that he could better than Webb. I mean, McElroy was doing better than Sanchez until he got clobbered and had to be removed from the game.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Picks for tomorrow?! I'll start.

INDY at BAL

I know the Ravens are favored to win, but the Colts are one of hottest teams right now, and the return of Chuck Pagano will be a huge emotional motivational factor for them. Also, I like Luck's knack for making big plays in the 4th quarter. I'm sensing upset.

SEA at WAS

I like Seattle on the road. Wilson is playing with a much better defense, and he doesn't hesitate on the big stage much like RG3. I believe they will win a close game in Washington provided Wilson makes some crucial plays down the stretch and doesn't turn the ball over.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Picks for tomorrow?! I'll start.

INDY at BAL

I know the Ravens are favored to win, but the Colts are one of hottest teams right now, and the return of Chuck Pagano will be a huge emotional motivational factor for them. Also, I like Luck's knack for making big plays in the 4th quarter. I'm sensing upset.

SEA at WAS

I like Seattle on the road. Wilson is playing with a much better defense, and he doesn't hesitate on the big stage much like RG3. I believe they will win a close game in Washington provided Wilson makes some crucial plays down the stretch and doesn't turn the ball over.
Well, I had picked the Bengals over the Texans, so assuming that the Packers don't throw this away somehow, I'll be 1-1 today.

I think that the Colts are playing better right now, whereas the Ravens are really injured on defense. Even with the return of Ray Lewis, I don't see it happening. I'm seeing a close Colts win, so 24-21 or 27-24.

Seattle haven't been great on the road this season, going 3-5. I think it's an insult to Washington that they're the underdogs at home. Redskins to win by three, 20-17.
 
Top