Fall NFL Thread

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, any time you score two times on Special Teams, have Peyton Manning at the helm and still manage to lose, it means you ran into a team at the wrong time.
Indeed, although Peyton wasn't that great in this game. He wasn't at fault for the pick six, at least. The defense definitely let him down at times.

The Ravens played really well.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

The 49ers are looking good against the Packers and Kaepernick's runs have been really good.

---------- Post added January 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was January 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM ----------

Kaepernick and Gore literally ran over the Packers and I am now 1-5 in my playoff game picks. My lone successful pick was the Packers beating the Vikings. In fact, my actual SB pick from the preseason was Patriots vs 49ers, and that's still alive, but I have been awful with picking these games.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I knew the Packers were going to lose. There was no reason for them to win that game especially with the 49ers at full strength.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

I did not expect the Denver to lose that game. The defense was horrendous giving up so many points. Denver had opportunities to win, but that interception by Peyton in OT sealed the deal.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Come on Seattle...

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

What a stupid timeout.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Well, I still like the 49ers to win the NFC. Atlanta wont beat them the way they played today.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I did not expect the Denver to lose that game. The defense was horrendous giving up so many points. Denver had opportunities to win, but that interception by Peyton in OT sealed the deal.
The difference in the game was our defense and offensive line. Whatever they decided to do to give Champ Bailey help at halftime might have worked, but their secondary let them down in other ways. The switch we made last week to move Oher from LT to RT, Osemele from RT to LG, and McKinney off the bench at LT has worked. Their defense had one sack. I don't care how good a defense is, if they aren't pressuring the QB enough, any secondary can look pedestrian.

They turned the ball over three times. Their two scores on Special Teams made this game closer than it had to be. I'm not taking anything away from Manning though, the game went how it went. We were better than them on Offense and Defense, simple.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Looks like we won't have to gameplan for Gronkowski...
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, in last season's AFC Championship game, Pollard attempted to kill Gronk, so you didn't even have to deal with him for the whole game, although that was quite near the end.

I'm 2-6 in my playoff picks so far. I hate the idea of icing the kicker and Pete Carroll lost his team that game right there.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, in last season's AFC Championship game, Pollard attempted to kill Gronk, so you didn't even have to deal with him for the whole game, although that was quite near the end.

I'm 2-6 in my playoff picks so far. I hate the idea of icing the kicker and Pete Carroll lost his team that game right there.
Yeah? Was he flagged for it? No. So thanks. :nah

Icing the kicker? Kind of bush league, but I think the threat of it is worth more. That is, if the kicker is looking to the sideline and trying to guess to expect it or not. But that kicker wouldn't be on my team. I'm too used to Matt Stover who was like a robot out there.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah? Was he flagged for it? No. So thanks. :nah

Icing the kicker? Kind of bush league, but I think the threat of it is worth more. That is, if the kicker is looking to the sideline and trying to guess to expect it or not. But that kicker wouldn't be on my team. I'm too used to Matt Stover who was like a robot out there.
It wasn't a dirty hit, but Pollard has made a bunch of questionable tackles that have led to opposing players getting injured throughout his career. :hip

I still think that Ngata's hit on RG3 was dirty. Ngata dove in with the head at RG3's knees with an attempt to injure. He wasn't trying to tackle RG3 as RG3 was already going to ground. Even if RG3 was sliding in, Ngata would've gone for it. Ngata was rightfully flagged for the hit.

Actually, stats show that kickers who are iced make the following kick at a higher percentage than guys who aren't iced. There's a smaller sample size of kickers being iced, but if you got on what traditionally has occurred, icing the kicker doesn't work. The last two seasons, I think I've seen coaches lose their teams three or four games because they iced the kicker and the original kick missed.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

It wasn't a dirty hit, but Pollard has made a bunch of questionable tackles that have led to opposing players getting injured throughout his career. :hip

I still think that Ngata's hit on RG3 was dirty. Ngata dove in with the head at RG3's knees with an attempt to injure. He wasn't trying to tackle RG3 as RG3 was already going to ground. Even if RG3 was sliding in, Ngata would've gone for it. Ngata was rightfully flagged for the hit.

Actually, stats show that kickers who are iced make the following kick at a higher percentage than guys who aren't iced. There's a smaller sample size of kickers being iced, but if you got on what traditionally has occurred, icing the kicker doesn't work. The last two seasons, I think I've seen coaches lose their teams three or four games because they iced the kicker and the original kick missed.
Because he made a legal hit on Tom Brady and ended his season? You're biased. He's a hothead, but he plays the way it's meant to be played.

How the hell was Ngata's hit illegal? He wasn't even fined for it. RG3 was in an awkward position and when Ngata hit him his knee hyper-extended with A LOT of force against Ngata's body. It was a freak thing. His leg flailing out and bending the wrong way against his big body isn't Ngata's fault at all.

I know what the stats are. My point is the threat of it might be worth more than actually doing it. I saw a kicker on ESPN saying the same thing.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Because he made a legal hit on Tom Brady and ended his season? You're biased. He's a hothead, but he plays the way it's meant to be played.

How the hell was Ngata's hit illegal? He wasn't even fined for it. RG3 was in an awkward position and when Ngata hit him his knee hyper-extended with A LOT of force against Ngata's body. It was a freak thing. His leg flailing out and bending the wrong way against his big body isn't Ngata's fault at all.

I know what the stats are. My point is the threat of it might be worth more than actually doing it. I saw a kicker on ESPN saying the same thing.
I didn't say that Pollard was a dirty player, just that he goes for the legs/knees of players too often, but that doesn't make him dirty.

You just want to ignore my point by saying I'm biased.

There's a difference between dirty and illegal. You can make a legal hit, but it can be dirty. For example, Ndamukong Suh makes a lot of dirty hits that aren't illegal, although he does make a lot of illegal hits as well.

When you dive forward and put a lot of force onto a guy's knee like that, there's a large chance that it could hyper-extend like that.

There's always the threat of it as the coach is usually right next to the ref no matter what at that point in the game. Some coaches flat out don't believe in it, however.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I didn't say that Pollard was a dirty player, just that he goes for the legs/knees of players too often, but that doesn't make him dirty.

You just want to ignore my point by saying I'm biased.
He ended Brady's season when he was playing for the Chiefs. He was rough with Gronkowski a year ago. You're biased.

No, I'm not ignoring anything. You're making some point about Pollard hitting hard...and that's what I want my Strong Safety to do. I don't know what you're complaining about. Every DB in the league gets flagged for illegal hits nowadays.

There's a difference between dirty and illegal. You can make a legal hit, but it can be dirty. For example, Ndamukong Suh makes a lot of dirty hits that aren't illegal, although he does make a lot of illegal hits as well.

When you dive forward and put a lot of force onto a guy's knee like that, there's a large chance that it could hyper-extend like that.
He didn't put force into his knee, look at the hit again. His leg was just out there, flailed out and the impact cause the hyper-extension. He was sliding to avoid a hit but he did it too late. He didn't hit RG3 in the knees!

 
Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

He ended Brady's season when he was playing for the Chiefs. He was rough with Gronkowski a year ago. You're biased.

No, I'm not ignoring anything. You're making some point about Pollard hitting hard...and that's what I want my Strong Safety to do. I don't know what you're complaining about. Every DB in the league gets flagged for illegal hits nowadays.



He didn't put force into his knee, look at the hit again. His leg was just out there, flailed out and the impact cause the hyper-extension. He was sliding to avoid a hit but he did it too late. He didn't hit RG3 in the knees!

Gary, nowhere have I said that Pollard's a dirty player. I just said that he's really hard hitting.

I did call Ngata a dirty player, however.

If you want to claim that I'm biased, how are you not biased? You want to believe that all of your players hit fairly and aren't dirty because you're a Ravens fan. It doesn't go only one way, Mr. Gary.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Gary, nowhere have I said that Pollard's a dirty player. I just said that he's really hard hitting.

I did call Ngata a dirty player, however.

If you want to claim that I'm biased, how are you not biased? You want to believe that all of your players hit fairly and aren't dirty because you're a Ravens fan. It doesn't go only one way, Mr. Gary.
Okay, so then what's the problem? You saying he tried to kill Gronkowski. You obviously have an axe to grind with him.

Yeah, many linemen are. OLer's are overlooked in that department as well. I wouldn't compare ANYONE to Suh, not even Wilfork :rolleyes:

You're right, it doesn't just go one way in this instance. Unfortunately for you, you've lost this argument so it doesn't really matter does it?
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Okay, so then what's the problem? You saying he tried to kill Gronkowski. You obviously have an axe to grind with him.

Yeah, many linemen are. OLer's are overlooked in that department as well. I wouldn't compare ANYONE to Suh, not even Wilfork :rolleyes:

You're right, it doesn't just go one way in this instance. Unfortunately for you, you've lost this argument so it doesn't really matter does it?
It was a joke about how in the end, at the part of the game that mattered, so the business end of the AFC Championship, you didn't even have to face Gronk. Nowhere did I say that I have a problem with Pollard. It's just the luck of the dice that he happens to have severely injured two of our players.

Wilfork definitely gets the hard hits in, but I don't think that he attempts to injure like Ngata does.

Just saying that you've won doesn't mean you've won. :rolleyes
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

The Patriots are going to spank them, hopefully. I'm not worried about Baltimore's defense because I know the Patriots offense will shit on them or pretty much any defense for that matter. The Ravens will need to score at least 30 to beat them. The thing that worries me the most is the Patriots defense inability to stop the opposing team from making big plays down the field on 3rd downs (I'm talking to you secondary). If the Ravens do win it'll be because of big plays. Hopefully, it wont come to that.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I bet the TV ratings this year will be down from last year if the Patriots make it to the super bowl once again. All my friends hate it that they make it to the SB stage like every other year. I know for certain fans of other teams get tired of seeing them play.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Congrats to Tommy for breaking the record. I love you Brady no homo :) Keep winning
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

It was a joke about how in the end, at the part of the game that mattered, so the business end of the AFC Championship, you didn't even have to face Gronk. Nowhere did I say that I have a problem with Pollard. It's just the luck of the dice that he happens to have severely injured two of our players.

Wilfork definitely gets the hard hits in, but I don't think that he attempts to injure like Ngata does.

Just saying that you've won doesn't mean you've won. :rolleyes
If you were just talking smack, fine. It wasn't obvious to me though, and it seemed like you were trying to correlate Pollard and being dirty.

Are you kidding? Wilfork has had that kind of reputation for a long time now. He's not Suh or Haynesworth though. I think you see Ngata hitting out in open field because he isn't a Nose Tackle like Wilfork. He's a stay at home Tackle who disrupts the passing game. Ngata is more of a 3-technique DT playing in a 3-4. He isn't a classic interior Defensive Lineman, he's much more versatile when healthy.

All that being said, if you look at that tape and still think he was trying to hit his legs, then I don't know what to tell you. It's hard to stop a 325 pound body. He was just trying to put a lick on him. That's what happens when you take off running down the middle of the field as a QB, you become a runner and you're fair game. It just shook out that way.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

If you were just talking smack, fine. It wasn't obvious to me though, and it seemed like you were trying to correlate Pollard and being dirty.
Ah, well, it's not always that clear to get feelings and emotions across on the internet.

Are you kidding? Wilfork has had that kind of reputation for a long time now. He's not Suh or Haynesworth though. I think you see Ngata hitting out in open field because he isn't a Nose Tackle like Wilfork. He's a stay at home Tackle who disrupts the passing game. Ngata is more of a 3-technique DT playing in a 3-4. He isn't a classic interior Defensive Lineman, he's much more versatile when healthy.
I've never seen Wilfork as having that reputation, but you don't really see him putting hits in on the QB or something, mainly horsecollaring or roughing up the opposing OL. I'm not going to deny that Wilfork gets in some pretty hard hits at times, however, but not really dirty.

All that being said, if you look at that tape and still think he was trying to hit his legs, then I don't know what to tell you. It's hard to stop a 325 pound body. He was just trying to put a lick on him. That's what happens when you take off running down the middle of the field as a QB, you become a runner and you're fair game. It just shook out that way.
I just think Ngata crosses the line at times. Of course, if Ngata doesn't injure RG3, we're not having this conversation. He certainly dived in aggressively. With the limited number of attempts that players get to put hits in on the QB now, any chance that they get, I think that they try to be more violent than at times in the past.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I just think Ngata crosses the line at times. Of course, if Ngata doesn't injure RG3, we're not having this conversation. He certainly dived in aggressively. With the limited number of attempts that players get to put hits in on the QB now, any chance that they get, I think that they try to be more violent than at times in the past.
And when he does, he's penalized for it. But I'm not going to mention him in the same breath as Suh, sorry. Haloti at least appears to be sane, something I doubt about Suh.

Of course it's aggressive, this hit wasn't in the pocket. He was a runner, and he takes that risk when he runs. Something I'm sure he's well aware of now.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

I don't know what to make of this anymore...so fucking confusing
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

And when he does, he's penalized for it. But I'm not going to mention him in the same breath as Suh, sorry. Haloti at least appears to be sane, something I doubt about Suh.

Of course it's aggressive, this hit wasn't in the pocket. He was a runner, and he takes that risk when he runs. Something I'm sure he's well aware of now.
No one's as dirty as Suh, and he's the dirtiest by a large margin. I mean, not even considering the stomp on that Packers OL guy, but just the obvious things like where when there's a flag at the line of scrimmage, he'll race across and attack the QB. There's a whole load of crap that Suh pulls.

Yeah, clearly RG3 learned a lesson that day.

I don't know what to make of this anymore...so fucking confusing
Honestly, I don't care about Manti Te'o anyway. This whole story just makes Te'o and Notre Dame look even worse. When the story came out that his girlfriend died right after his grandmother, I was like, "Okay, it sucks, but it happened." End of story. Then, yesterday, I saw that people were calling him the heartwarming story of the season? I was like what? That's bs. I'm not trying to be cold, but it happens.

---------- Post added January 20, 2013 at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was January 17, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

Pollard got a hefty hit in on Ridley. The hit itself wasn't dirty, but it wasn't a fumble. He looked clearly down.

The pick was just awful luck, as that ball just stayed up in the air.

Really well played by the Ravens today. Anquan Boldin made some great catches.

We played poorly in the final 30 yards or so, not just the red zone, and we deserved to lose. We really missed Gronk. The Ravens got away with a few pass interferences, but everyone does at times, so that's even. When Talib got injured, our defense took a big hit. That play at the end of the first half where we didn't get an extra play in and settled for a FG was a big momentum switch.

I have no idea who will win the SB. My original pick was SF's defense beating NE's offense, but that was before the advent of Kaepernick and when the Ravens defense was in shambles.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Nice pick by Williams there. We racked up a lot of yards, but some costly drops really hurt us. That Hernandez one at the start of the second half and then one by Vereen. There was a bad drop in the first half as well.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Game was rigged.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

:pout
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

You guys gave a good effort for a half. But you don't win games playing well for only 30 minutes usually, much less Conference Championships.

This one is sweet, but I'm not going to rub it in.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Pollard got a hefty hit in on Ridley. The hit itself wasn't dirty, but it wasn't a fumble. He looked clearly down.

The pick was just awful luck, as that ball just stayed up in the air.

Really well played by the Ravens today. Anquan Boldin made some great catches.

We played poorly in the final 30 yards or so, not just the red zone, and we deserved to lose. We really missed Gronk. The Ravens got away with a few pass interferences, but everyone does at times, so that's even. When Talib got injured, our defense took a big hit. That play at the end of the first half where we didn't get an extra play in and settled for a FG was a big momentum switch.

I have no idea who will win the SB. My original pick was SF's defense beating NE's offense, but that was before the advent of Kaepernick and when the Ravens defense was in shambles.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Nice pick by Williams there. We racked up a lot of yards, but some costly drops really hurt us. That Hernandez one at the start of the second half and then one by Vereen. There was a bad drop in the first half as well.
I thought it was in real-time too, but they didn't show many different angles of it live. The ref probably got many more. He was out while he was still up, and the ball seemed to be coming out at that point. It's hard to maintain possession when you're unconscious.

Ellerbe was in the right place, but a tipping a ball at the line takes skill and McPhee did it twice tonight. So yeah, some luck in there being a tipped ball in the right place, but every team practices the tip drill.
 
Top