Fall NFL Thread

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: The NFL Thread- Super Bowl XLVII( Feb 3rd)

If I fear him like the other guys I mentioned? no, I don't
but don't look to much into it... I'm not a die hard fan of american football. I just watch it from time to time
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread- Super Bowl XLVII( Feb 3rd)

If I fear him like the other guys I mentioned? no, I don't
but don't look to much into it... I'm not a die hard fan of american football. I just watch it from time to time
Ah, okay. Well, I'd say I only fear him more than Eli I guess.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: The NFL Thread- Super Bowl XLVII( Feb 3rd)

well... Eli had some really great comebacks on the 4th trough his career
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Brady signs a 3 year/$27m extension, which saves the Pats 15m in cap room at some point. I like that about him. He took a paycut for the extension to help the team. Him taking this probably ensures that Welker is resigned.

---------- Post added February 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was February 25, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

So, Herm Edwards, and some others, seem to believe that the Ravens may pick Manti Te'o in the first round. I know you seem to like Te'o way more than I do, Gary, so what do you think of this theory/idea with the last pick in the first round?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Keep in mind that this was before the whole "Catfishing" thing, I think. People are looking at a legend retiring, and then the biggest name in college football last season playing a similar position to him. I'd say Ozzie Newsome is more likely to trade back and amass more picks in the second round or so. Trading up to get him? Hell no.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Keep in mind that this was before the whole "Catfishing" thing, I think. People are looking at a legend retiring, and then the biggest name in college football last season playing a similar position to him. I'd say Ozzie Newsome is more likely to trade back and amass more picks in the second round or so. Trading up to get him? Hell no.
Oh, so now that we know all the scandals with Te'o and the fact that his Combine stats were awful (a 4.82 40 yard time), you're not so sold on him?

It wasn't going to be trading up. The idea was getting Te'o with the final pick of the first round. To be honest, even that's too high for me. I think that Te'o is second round talent.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Oh, so now that we know all the scandals with Te'o and the fact that his Combine stats were awful (a 4.82 40 yard time), you're not so sold on him?

It wasn't going to be trading up. The idea was getting Te'o with the final pick of the first round. To be honest, even that's too high for me. I think that Te'o is second round talent.
Was I sold on him? I think from the standpoint that it's an interesting story, I was intrigued. You aren't without talent as a football player if you're a finalist for the Heisman as a defensive player. We were talking about him prior to him even playing in the Championship I thought?

I didn't even follow the combine this year, so I wasn't even aware of how he performed.

The scandal puts me off, but he does seem like a dumbass so who knows. I'm sure he got drilled by the interviewers. If Ozzie thinks he's a value pick at 32, then he'll take him. It depends on where he and DeCosta have him on their big board.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Was I sold on him? I think from the standpoint that it's an interesting story, I was intrigued. You aren't without talent as a football player if you're a finalist for the Heisman as a defensive player. We were talking about him prior to him even playing in the Championship I thought?

I didn't even follow the combine this year, so I wasn't even aware of how he performed.

The scandal puts me off, but he does seem like a dumbass so who knows. I'm sure he got drilled by the interviewers. If Ozzie thinks he's a value pick at 32, then he'll take him. It depends on where he and DeCosta have him on their big board.
I can't recall, honestly. You did seem to like him, however. As we saw against Alabama, Te'o just didn't have it. This horrible Combine (including saying that he'd recently run a 4.6 or maybe a 4.5 when he'd clearly just run a 4.8+) doesn't help matters.

I don't want someone with this many off-field issues. I don't know if Te'o is really as slow as 4.8+, but I wouldn't think he's any faster than 4.7+.

Te'o is a value pick at 32, but I don't know. Someone will still take him in the first round, most likely, although I don't believe that he's necessarily first round talent/whatever.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I like him for his pedigree and the intangibles. He seems to be a good leader. Combine numbers will earn you money, but it has nothing too do with whether you'll pan out or not. We've been hitting on second rounders lately, so if we take him in the second round it would probably be a good value.

But I do know that if he seems like a fuck-up, we're probably not going to draft him. Probably even more so now that Lewis isn't in the locker room anymore.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I like him for his pedigree and the intangibles. He seems to be a good leader. Combine numbers will earn you money, but it has nothing too do with whether you'll pan out or not. We've been hitting on second rounders lately, so if we take him in the second round it would probably be a good value.

But I do know that if he seems like a fuck-up, we're probably not going to draft him. Probably even more so now that Lewis isn't in the locker room anymore.
Te'o is someone that I'd take as a second rounder because it would bring him back down to earth and make him realize that he's not entitled. If he's a first rounder, he'll act like he's uber-awesome.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Te'o is someone that I'd take as a second rounder because it would bring him back down to earth and make him realize that he's not entitled. If he's a first rounder, he'll act like he's uber-awesome.
You think so? Aside from the whole Catfish incident, he didn't strike me as cocky or acting entitled or anything,
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You think so? Aside from the whole Catfish incident, he didn't strike me as cocky or acting entitled or anything,
Yeah, but he got to be in the news and everything and have attention focused on him. I think he wants attention and being a first round pick would give him this sense of being entitled and people wanting him or something.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, but he got to be in the news and everything and have attention focused on him. I think he wants attention and being a first round pick would give him this sense of being entitled and people wanting him or something.
I think you're being pretty pessimistic here. Whether he handled the Catfish thing the right way or not, I can't imagine he liked the attention it got him...unless he has some sort of personality disorder. Who knows.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think you're being pretty pessimistic here. Whether he handled the Catfish thing the right way or not, I can't imagine he liked the attention it got him...unless he has some sort of personality disorder. Who knows.
I don't know. I didn't like Te'o before any of the stuff anyway.


_________________

On the big news, the Chiefs agree to acquire Alex Smith from the 49ers.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I wonder if Andy Reid will manage to have success with the Chiefs. I would say they have the best talent among the cellar-dwellers.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
They did have five all-pros last season, and some of their best players were injured. He at least will help make them respectable again. Other than that 2011 spending spree, he is good at evaluating talent and building a roster. His flaws (clock management, in game decision making) might prevent them from taking the next step, but he at least should make the franchise respectable again.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It helps that they're probably in the weakest division in the AFC as well.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That too. Last season only the Broncos had a winning record. Four games against Oakland and San Diego should make rebuilding feel a little easier.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
We won a Super Bowl with his superb play. But Joe Flacco and "highest paid in NFL history" just doesn't seem to fit :XD

I'm not a doubter of his skill, or his value. I guess he just lucked out by turning down an extension last year and delivering 100% at the end of the season. That was a ballsy move.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I can agree with you there, Gary. If he performs comes playoff time, that's what matters, right? These days, while Brady's great during the regular season, no one's going to deny that he's had some questionable finishes in the playoffs.
 
Top