Cheating and placing bounties on players results in the same thing -- hurting the integrity of the game. That was my only point. And it isn't only the Patriots that get punished for doing so.
Well, both do hurt the integrity of the game. I'm not really going to get into an argument about gradations or seriousness of cheating, although I do think that BountyGate was probably the worst thing we've seen in the NFL for a long time.
Other the aforementioned two issues, and now this potential current issue, have you seen any team get punished for anything that infringes rules in within the last 10-15 years? Plenty of players have gotten punished for things like PED/substance use, but that's generally not a team issue.
What I was saying is that it's only the Patriots who are getting punished over questionable balls. Other teams this season have been caught (Panthers/Vikings) and Rodgers admitted he tampers with the balls and no punishments were handed out. That's called unfair application of justice.
Yeah but even if that was true, why would Mangini hold a grudge against Belichick for something Mangini supposedly did? It doesn't make sense. Mangini has basically said that he didn't thinking taping gave them much of advantage, but he wasn't going to let them do it in the Jet's home stadium. He even regrets what resulted from him reporting it.
Then talk to Belichick about it beforehand. Mangini's not an idiot. When he reported it (and the Patriots aren't the only team who had camera crews in "illegal" positions, just we were the only ones who actually got punished), he knew exactly what would happen. He may have not realized that it would cast aspersions on the entire Patriots three SBs in four years thing, or even himself for having participated in it in the past (although, the camera positioning wasn't really illegal for most of the time Mangini was there), but he had to know that it would just give fuel for the media and fans to go, "CHEATERS!" Look at you, Gary. You're saying that the Patriots are guilty until proven innocent. If you weren't a Patriots or a Colts fan (Colts fans have generally wanted this issue put to the side and the fact that they lost 45-7 recognized), you generally assumed the instant that you heard the story that the Patriots cheated.
[edited to properly illustrate point]
If deflating the ball is against the rules, it's against the rules. Now, maybe you can talk about what kind of advantage someone would get from doing it, but that's a different discussion entirely. That fact is, the only reason teams would do such a thing is to get an advantage, and that's kind of the definition of cheating. What occurred in the game is inconsequential.
I know I said that I didn't want to discuss gradations of cheating above, but it's not like we listened in to the opposing team's headsets (Go Giants! This was a long time ago, mind you) in the past.
I don't really think that any advantage can really be gained via this, but that's a different issue. Well, plenty of people want to talk about this like it invalidates the entire game, so it kind of does matter.
---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------
Proof that we cheated:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12204030
I apologize, Gary. I'm disappointed and feel let down.
I don't think that it actually gave us any sort of advantage, but...