Discussion - One Piece General SBS Discussion Thread | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion One Piece General SBS Discussion Thread

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Jinbe also says that the Mochi-Mochi no Mi enters into the category of "Special Paramecia".
Hmm... so it has nothing to do with Katakuri having "awakened" or not, which I thought would be the case.

We know that Zoans also have other categories, such as "Ancient Zoan" or "Mythological Zoan", so I wonder what the deal could be for "Special Paramecia".

Maybe Mr. 3 and Magellan also belong in this category since - according to the Wikia - there are some users that can manipulate and generate some kinds of substances, such as wax and poison.

Since Katakuri is also a "substance", maybe it's what makes them similar to a Logia somehow?

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hmm... so it has nothing to do with Katakuri having "awakened" or not, which I thought would be the case.

We know that Zoans also have other categories, such as "Ancient Zoan" or "Mythological Zoan", so I wonder what the deal could be for "Special Paramecia".

Maybe Mr. 3 and Magellan also belong in this category since - according to the Wikia - there are some users that can manipulate and generate some kinds of substances, such as wax and poison.

Since Katakuri is also a "substance", maybe it's what makes them similar to a Logia somehow?
There is one special difference with Katakuri, though.

He.. survived this:

Much like a problem to Oda, unless he says that Mochi can regroup itself like with Marco regenerating. But still that pic shows that the guy is so much Logia.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
There is one special difference with Katakuri, though.

He.. survived this:

Much like a problem to Oda, unless he says that Mochi can regroup itself like with Marco regenerating. But still that pic shows that the guy is so much Logia.
I never noticed that, but yeah we can clearly see how his whole body is detaching.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am guessing Oda will update those in the volumes showing him somehow Dodge it. Mochi as a logia is actually quite shitty. Logia has to be natural occurring elements... or maybe he'll explain it through awakening or so.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Damn, I just assumed big mom simply was always fat...

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
SBS 87 - Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/79zisa/sbs_87_information/
Katakuri, Daifuku, and Oven are triplets at the age of 48.

Katakuri is the Minister of Flour.

Amande is a Charlotte. She is also half-human, and half-snakeneck.

Praline is the 21st Daughter, not the 29th. The 29th Daughter is Joscarpone.

New Birthdays:

Carrot - May 24th

Rebecca - August 4th

Scarlett - October 28th

Shanks' sword is called Gryphon.

As it relates to Tamago's Egg Egg Fruit powers, if his Count Niwatori form is defeated, then he will turn back into Baron Tamago.
I think the rest are all being translated and probably be released in the near future. Not been informed, just my personal guess since snippets of the SBS have been posted on Reddit.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Katakuri i way taller and older than he looks. Daifuku and Oven are his brothers. Now I really want to know who their father is.

Katakuri is the only one who has the fangs. This makes me think that maybe someone ripped off his mouth and fit that large sharp teeth into his mouth (probs willingly because badass).

He is 48 years old so that means Katakuri's dad laid with the beautiful version of BM. No wonder he looks nice (*blush*). He is in his prime so at his greatest strength.

And he is tall. Never noticed this because I am used to this insane heights. Most of Luffy's enemies are taller than him so nothing surprises me anymore. It would suck if I go to OP world because I am around Luffy's height and I suck at fighting.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Interesting, all of katakuri's full brothers also turned out to be a part of big mom's main crew. Wait, why does katakuri have fangs then? Over and daifuku have nothing of the sort...

Ginopastino

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Shanks' sword is called Griphon — which in most mythologies is depicted as a treasure keeper. Might be hinting at his possibile role of the gatekeeper to Raftel and One Piece.

Oda stated that Shanks would win against Mihawk if they were to actually fight now, but it would be a very difficult fight for the Yonkou. Might hint to Mihawk being the strongest Shichibukai.

matw123

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Oda stated that Shanks would win against Mihawk if they were to actually fight now, but it would be a very difficult fight for the Yonkou. Might hint to Mihawk being the strongest Shichibukai.
That wasn't actually in a SBS.Some shanks fanboy just edited the wiki.

Ginopastino

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
That wasn't actually in a SBS.Some shanks fanboy just edited the wiki.
Thanks matw123, I had just found out and came to edit my post!

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
We are Suiron!

"Amande confirmed as Third Daughter of Big Mom!"

"Oda Eiichiro, you planned to say this just now. 'Let's start the SBS!!'"

O: ^Ehhhhhhh!? How'd you know that!? Damn it, you read the future! That was indeed what I was going to say...!!

D: Odacchi, garchuuu ♥♥. This "garchu" greeting used by the Mink Tribe is based on the phrase तिमीलाई माया गर्छु (Timīlā'ī māyā garchu) which means "I love you"?

O: Yes, that's right. That's perfectly suited for the Mink Tribe, don't you agree!

D: I want to garchu with Nami.
O: Ok, next.

D: Does Carrot and Wanda's chest feel bushy, or does it feel smooth?
O: I see. As their bodies are covered in fur head to toe, bushy... HEY HEY, CUT IT OUT!! Why has it just started and already full out perverted questions...!! Huh! Sorry, I lost my composure. Not very mature.

D: Odacchi, save me... Right now, I've come down with a sickness that I will die if I don't munch down on food like Luffy.
O: This kind of thing! I want to answer heartwarming questions from children. Hey, Hiroto-kun. You eat too much! Because there's the danger of hypoglycemia and overeating, it can cause your physical fitness to decrease and cause insomnia, and there's the possibility of catching a grave disease. Do you feel stress at work? Regarding your eating habits... I'm sorry! How childish of me!!

Source Zoro4prez2016 at OJ

"Panda girl's name is Boire, the 19th daughter. Her father is the same as Galette's." Source 2ch/5ch
So Perospero is 50 years old and 10'11, Cracker is 45 yrs old and 10'1, and Smoothie is 35 yrs old and 15'2.

Q: Oda Sensei! [He] kept [his] promise <3 Are you coming to the wedding?
A: Everyone! Please look at this, from volume 58 SBS! T/N: Someone wrote to Oda saying that their boyfriend said he'd marry them if they made it into SBS. He included their letter and said the guy better keep his promise. Because Japanese omits pronouns, it's hard to tell who she's talking about so Oda had to refresh the readers' memory by including the original SBS question.

Q: Katakuri sure is handsome isn't he? But I'm the one who's going to be a model right?
A: Perhaps.

Q: Lola and Chiffon sure are ugly aren't they? But the one to become a model would be my wife wouldn't it?
A: You're really going to get crushed to death by your wife.

Source: Den Den Mushi from OJ

Worst Generation's nationalities and Real Life Jobs:
  • Blackbeard - Somalia
  • Law - Germany
  • Kid - Scotland
  • Capone - Italy
  • Drake - Turkey
  • Apoo - China
  • Urouge - India
  • Bonney - Australia
  • Hawkins - Egypt
  • Killer - Scotland

• Blackbeard - Archeologist
  • Capone - Shoe store
  • Drake - Zoo caretaker
  • Kid - Weapon dealer
  • Apoo - DJ
  • Bonney - Pizza shop
  • Law - Doctor
  • Hawkins - Designer
  • Urouge - Hostess bar manager
  • Killer - Pasta Shop owner
"Katakuri's, Daifuku's and Oven's birthday is November 25th"

Q: Hi Oda! I noticed something interesting, Katakuri doesn't eat in front of people, but in Vol 86, ch 861 pg 3 he's eating something, you can see bite marks on it.
A: Yes, well spotted! It's not that Katakuri doesn't eat in front of people but rather he doesn't let people see him eating. Here, let me illustrate. Can you see it? No you can't! His mouth wasn't split from birth. It's from his speed (of eating). I'm considering whether to explain it in the story or not.

Q: How much to stay inside Rook for a night?
A: If you're approved by Bege, it's free of charge. If not, then no amount of money will suffice.

"Big Mom height is 28'10½, she is also taller than Whitebeard and a normal giants height is 12 meters."

"Oda says Katakuri was not born with his perikan-eel-ish mouth by nature. He has been covering up his mouth so fast when eating that nobody has witnessed it. Oda says it is the reason for his distinct mouth, which might imply that Katakuri's mouth can't help getting bigger due to his fast eating speed. Oda is wondering if he should tell the backstory about it in the future." Source Sandman

"Doflamingo is at Impel Down's Level 6"

Q: Odacchi hello! 883 revealed Katakuri's shocking true appearance; could it be that Oda's policy is 'never draw perfect characters'? Katakuri gave me a sense of intimacy this chapter. It must be stressful trying to maintain an image for the people around you.
A: Katakuri is laughing! He's laughing! As a policy perfect people are boring. People love other people's weaknesses/flaws.

Q: Is Tsuru going to follow Doflamingo's request and bring him the newspaper every day?
A: No way, how can a prisoner receive such service? But Doffy has a lot of friends in prison, I'm sure he can use some method to get the paper from time to time. Fufufufu!

Q: What is Luffy's criteria for a 'beautiful woman'? Why is Alvida a beauty when Nami, Robin and Hancock are not?
A: Luffy has indeed said that Alvida is a beautiful woman. When normal people say it, it's meant as high praise. But to Luffy, it's just a way of categorising people. Even though his senses are not normal, Luffy can tell. But no matter what they look like, he's not interested.

Source: Den Den Mushi

Q:Can the messenger bats in the OP world deliver luggage? What about sending gifts between pirate crews?
A: I've never seen such considerate pirates. So they don't exist. Messenger bats are mainly used by the WG as a method of communication. Civilians can request News Coo and they can request a company called 'Little birds Post' but the distance they can fly is short. Albatross Post can fly long distances, but there are many situations where they are unable to deliver. So post services outside of the government agencies are not 100%. Usually between pirate crews, they will just use their boats to send items. Because they have no fixed address. So you can imagine that parting ways for them is a lot more serious than how we normally consider it.

"There is 1199 answered questions from SBS till now"

Changes at Volume #88 from Weekly releases:

• Chapter 881: Glove in Katakuri's hand.
  • Chapter 885: Changed "remove" (離せ) to "release" (放せ) in Perospero text.
  • Chapter 885: They add kanjis in Giant Pistol attack.
  • Chapter 886: Rayleigh's glasses added.
  • Chapter 889: PM removed.
  • Chapter 889: Jinbe's scar added
Translations thanks to Redon.

Any new info, i will try to update.

Last edited:

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Blackbeard being from Somalia is likely a nod to "Vicky the Viking", a german television series for children that was produced in Japan. Oda stated on multiple occasion that he is a huge fan of the series. In this series, the recurring antagonist "Sven the Terrible", who somewhat resembles Blackbeard is portrayed with a much darker skin color than everyone else. It may also be because Somalia has a lot of pirates.

Law from Germany makes sense since Germany always had many famous doctors including some nobel prize winners.

Kid from Scottland is because of the red hair obviously.

Bege from Italy was a given, same for Apoo from China and Urouge from India also makes a lot of sense since he is a buddhist monk.

Most people guessed Bonney would be American. I guess Australia fits fine as well.

Hawkins could be from Egypt because Ancient Egyptians also had a huge fascination with the occult.

No idea why Drake is from Turkey though.

Oh and he forgot Killer.

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SBS for Vol 89 was really fun to read, here it is on OPwikia.

Oda drew 40 and 60 year old versions of Luffy and Ace with 2 timelines.

Images are from @redon and there's more HERE.

Funny to see how 40 year old Luffy looks like Shanks and 60 year old looks more like Garp.

Last edited:

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Funny to see how 40 year old Luffy looks like Shanks and 60 year old looks more like Garp.
Those are pretty cool... I wonder what the 2nd timeline is supposed to be. Maybe it's one where they never got any DF powers/never became pirates?

The other day on reddit I saw a thread titled "What Ace would look like if he were 40 and 60 years old (by Oda)", but it was just this picture:

And I was like bruh... but I didn't know it was an actual thing that was done for the SBS, so that's cool

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those are pretty cool... I wonder what the 2nd timeline is supposed to be. Maybe it's one where they never got any DF powers/never became pirates?
I was thinking that it may be a timeline where none of them became pirates and/or stayed on the island and the mountains. But Ace seems to be wearing a pirate coat in that first image in the 2nd timeline.

The other day on reddit I saw a thread titled "What Ace would look like if he were 40 and 60 years old (by Oda)", but it was just this picture:

And I was like bruh... but I didn't know it was an actual thing that was done for the SBS, so that's cool
Wow. that's....cold. :emocat

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I was thinking that it may be a timeline where none of them became pirates and/or stayed on the island and the mountains. But Ace seems to be wearing a pirate coat in that first image in the 2nd timeline.
One person on reddit said that this other timeline was one where they never pursued their dreams, and just kinda let themselves go.

Wow. that's....cold. :emocat
:emocat

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One person on reddit said that this other timeline was one where they never pursued their dreams, and just kinda let themselves go.
Yes that's better put than I did. Also in the 2nd timeline, 60 year old Ace is asking Chopper for money from the safe :XD

Another thing I liked from this SBS is the best imoto awards that Flampe, and how she ranks herself best little sister, lol.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Wonder if that's similar to how Garp looked at 40. Luffy and Garp bore striking resemblance to each other at the same age, except Garp looked tougher and not as derpy as a kid. if Garp was even more laidback and carefree as a kid/teen, it'd be interesting to see how he and Luffy would have interacted. Hope there's an SBS on that, as well as their potential interactions with Dragon. I know he looks like a serious guy, but the past arc showed us he doesn't seem to be that serious and is kinda laidback, if not chill. After all, what parent would be happy with his son becoming a notorious and infamous pirate? :XD:

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Not sure if this was already posted but:

D: Hello Oda-sensei. I was reading Ch. 894 and isn’t Smoothie really huge?? Why?? What kind of power does she have? Also why is her sword wet in the same chapter? P.N. No Name OP Fan Whose Name Can Just Be That-chan

O: In the end, I wasn’t able to draw why that page was relevant in this arc but Smoothie ate the “Shibo Shibo no Mi” and became a dehydration human. She can squeeze the juice out of her enemies and slice them with her sword to pull out all their water content to completely dry them out. The water she steals can be stored in her own body, causing her to increase in size. She can also shoot the water out as an attack. She’s strong.

Taken from reddit.