Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 19 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
.................. So here's the thing:

This should've been a shameless cash grab with a deadbeat author that pawned it off like Kubo did with Bleach.

This is the polar opposite of that. The first episode at least is one of the best adaptations of basically any adaptation I've ever seen.

Oda's rewrites are all over it, and he and the rest of the staff seamlessly made a sense of pacing work that is like otherworldly efficient. Adding in non-canon stuff to the story that, some of which is so on-point that I already can barely tell it's not manga canon.
Me watching the episode like this:

:3c:)

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
.................. So here's the thing:

This should've been a shameless cash grab with a deadbeat author that pawned it off like Kubo did with Bleach.

This is the polar opposite of that. The first episode at least is one of the best adaptations of basically any adaptation I've ever seen.

Oda's rewrites are all over it, and he and the rest of the staff seamlessly made a sense of pacing work that is like otherworldly efficient. Adding in non-canon stuff to the story that, some of which is so on-point that I already can barely tell it's not manga canon.
I don't get it

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I may be developing a wee bit of a crush on Nami
Emily and Inaki's chemistry is infectious

What do you want ? I decided to ignore this LA
I can't help but notice that you're in fact not ignoring it and spamming the thread just to be a buzzkill

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
1 Torture for the most part and no redeem quality
2 Torture in some part
3 Boring/Bland
4 Below Average
5 Average
6 Fine/Above Average
7 Good
8 Great
9 Excellence
10 Masterpiece

Ep 1- 7 for a Good and Ep 2- 8 to 8.5 for Great
Ep 1 had potential but kinda rough. It isn't the fault of the actors necessary. But since they had too many things. Nami's introduction, Zoro vs Mr 7, Luffy's FB part 1, Alvida, Shell Town, and Roger's execution. The cut is a bit rough, transition from one scene to another is a bit rough. I would like a tad more background music. But yeah, the pacing meaning that they included scenes but they don't have it long enough for the transition to be smoother and or for the character to flesh out a bit. Like Nami's introduction against the Buggy pirates is too quickly. Or Zoro wasn't hang there long enough. Or Morgan didn't have time to show that he is terrorizing the town. Which made his arrest in ep 2 make more sense.

The good things is that the actors are cast perfectly. The new dialogues are very good. Helmeppo, Koby (who is a trans actor), Alvida, to Morgan. All are suberb. Even Alvida was super great despite some of the dialogues are kinda cringy translate to live action.

Despite Nami's introduction a tad rough. When the scene is more focus in one location, and characters had more room to breathe. She was great. All the additional dialogues and scenes are GREAT. The stuffs that she does in Shell Town. Nami here is a tad strong. Zoro fighting Mr 7 was great as well. But like Nami's intro. Too many cutting back and forth was a tad jarring. The Koby laying down with Koby at night was pretty cool. Some moments made me chuckle like Helmeppo's naked scene. Spotting Mihawk, Shanks, and Smoker in Roger's execution.

The set is awesome. The props are awesome. Shell Town is great. Morgan's room is GREAT. And I am glad they were able to use a tad more of it in ep 2. But I could see why people think the Garp stuffs overstayed its welcome.

Ep 2's pacing was much much better. Since the casts are mostly together. The cast once again is pretty awesome. This include the red haired pirates and the Buggy pirates. Buggy stole the show. Like Alvida, he also had to deliver what could be cringe dialouges. And he made it works so so so so so so well with the nose jokes. I don't mind cutting Cabaji's fight since Zoro already fought Mr 7. And it showed a bit of Zoro-Nami's dynamic.

All the additional stuffs are once again GREAT. Starting with both Arlong and Buggy sending their agents to get the map (though in retrospect, you would think Buggy is familiar with the grandline). Buggy's ambushing the Strawhat's crew. Though, I am tad confused on why there isn't more resistance from the Strawhats. A lot of these problems like ep 1, could be fix with an additional 10 minutes. Like they could show that the Strawhats are still high on the drugs. Luffy's torture scene. Luffy's sea water prison. Zoro's trick Cabaji. All of the Buggy's antics. All were wonderful. Glad to see Chouchou at the end.

Buggy and Luffy's CGI are also great. Nami and Zoro's fight scenes are good as well. And although they can be improved. I hope with season 1 in their pocket, they have even more exp going forward. Zoro's the whole sword in the mouth still need convincing at this point. But they did show how he got that sword toward Morgan's neck.

Luffy's second flashback is very nicely paired with the Buggy stuff. And did add some thematic to the episode. Red haired pirate fight scene was cool. But I was a bit weird out to see the crews had already sat in that bar while the mountain pirates torturing Luffy. Then again, maybe they sneaked in after. That fight scene was short but effective. Shanks-Luffy's moment was great. I am glad they didn't have the Luffy beating the sea king. This kinda show the normies that this world is scary. And even in ep 1 and latter ep 2, this version of Luffy is weaker than his manga counter part. I also like the new development, and subtle hint of Nami's character and Nami-Luffy's relationship.

But like usual, cutting out stuffs make some logical problems. I hope the normies didn't notice it. Like there was a reason why Higuma kidnapped Luffy. To sell him, because HIguma found out Luffy ated a DF. But in this show, it just random kidnapped. There are parallels between the flashback and the current timeline. Some of it on the weaker side, some were acceptable. But I am glad they did it this way since it emphasize Buggy knew Shanks.

The battle with Luffy is awesome. And how they defeat him is very creative as well. Both Buggy and Morgan did had some cool moments against the crew. Buggy especially overwhelmed the Strawhats for a bit.

Consider early One Piece was okay to good. And not great. Hence everyone always recommended people to at least get to Arlong Park. Though a young me love One Piece from the beginning and super impress with Baratie. I brought that up saying. Since the source material is super amazing from the getgo. What they did with the live action was suberb.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Truly, they've done a good job at somehow showing the influence Luffy has on people he meets, you can sense it through the screen.
Sadly
the Seymour sad dog Luffy interaction got cut.
That was sorta integral.

Last edited by a moderator:

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Music from Luffy's FB
Although I would want more background music and better sound mixing. I did caught Bink Sake in Luffy's flashback.

Despite my dislike of Hassan Piker. I am glad he provide a channel for the show to promote itself. I think one of the people on the show appeared on Hassan stream. And due to the strike, they can't promote the live action show. So they only there to talk about the "anime" and manga. But actually pretty good advertisement because if the people behind the show know the source material well. It automatically kinda sell the live action show.

Jacob Gibson already put a smile to my face as Usopp already. Ep 3 let's goooo....

Sadly
the Seymour sad dog Luffy interaction got cut.
That was sorta integral.
Did you caught chouchou at the end?

Last edited:

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

4 Reviews. All fresh. Actual ratings are 6, 7, 6, 8.5 out of 10.

Update: 15 reviews, 4 rotten, 11 fresh....

UPDATE: don't feed the trolls guy. My bad, I am guilty. I didn't even tagged him. He lurked here and I knew that since he likes post that confirmed his own bias. He didn't listen to my advice of spending his time wisely and entertain himself for the mirage of entertainment out there. Last I mentioned of him. But he will continue to lurk and like every single negative posts. Because he need that external validation that he is right.

Last edited:

Ottoman_Pasha

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
First episode is 7,2 at least with the potential to reach 7,5.
The attention to detail in the sets and costumes is astonishing. They really did a perfect job establishing the look of the world of One Piece. Also the the color and overall mood of the scenes are adding to this feeling.
It's a good thing to see them not dumping down the violence. I was even stunned from the brutality of some scenes This proves that they intend to break the childishness of the anime and bring this to a more matured level. What contradicts with this is the missing of blood in the fight scenes. Especially when blades are involved.
English is the choice for me. Japanese simply doesn't catch the new and original vibe and drags me back to the anime.
Acting is not world class but not bad either.
Inaki honestly tries his best and I genuinely feel connected to his new Luffy. They way how he interacts with Coby and the rest was very heart warming. The special effects doesn't hurt my eyes and his body is somehow giving the right authenticy to the rubber effect.
Zoro's act is great! He is really doing a nice job. The best scene was him joining the fight! That jump, the blows and the landing (superb ☀ flares) was awesome!
My wife, who never watched any OP anime enjoyed the first episode and said that she liked it and wants to watch the whole series now. Consider this coming from someone who generally is not watching this kinda fantasy stories and only knows Naruto. That's a very good sign for this LA and for Netflix in general.

Last edited:

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Half way through episode 2, and Buggy's acting is phenomenal.

korwinkrulpolski

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I've lasted only 20 minut into the first episode, then had to shut it down. Unbearable for me, the guy playing Luffy is plastic as hell, all of the aesthetics look really bad, fake. Sadly this is exactly what I've expected.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I'm not interested, but do they really show Helmeppo naked?

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've lasted only 20 minut into the first episode, then had to shut it down. Unbearable for me, the guy playing Luffy is plastic as hell, all of the aesthetics look really bad, fake. Sadly this is exactly what I've expected.
Not for everybody. Glad you try. Now that it is out of your system. If you don't want any more notification. Just mute the thread. Hope you enjoyed the weekly chapter instead. Even I had a bit of rough time with the first half of episode 1. It makes me nervous. The second half somewhat redeem it to be good and not even great. Ep 2 was better.

Aki1991

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I am off today as I need to get operated this morning and should be back at home in the afternoon. Not thinking about surgery at all thanks to this but it’s still too hard to wait when you’re off
Get well soon Bro. Same here. But will be released tomorrow hopefully...

Bad timing :D

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It seems that Hatchi is cut. Arlong's crew is only Kuroobi and Chew.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Garp's OPLA version takes it easy on Luffy in a hard love way that really pays perfect homage to his manga version and makes me really wonder if Garp and Fujitora have talked off-panel in the manga timeline.

Tragedy.