Movie - One Piece Live Action | Page 26 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movie One Piece Live Action

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Lemme get up and start watching
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's have our own little reviews :)

EpisodeRatingLikesDislikesAdditional Comments
1: Romance Dawn/10
2: The Man in The Straw hat/10
3: Tell no Tales/10
4: The Pirates are coming/10
5: Eat at baratie/10
6: The Chef and the Chore boy/10
7: The girl with the Sawfish Tattoo/10
8: Worst in the East/10
Overall rating

Last edited:

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
They have a good thing going right now, but dont give them the benefit of the doubt, when they are ever changing more sourcematerial.
I expect them to change a ton. I understand your worries regardless. Even Game of Thrones were a great adaption. It went to shit went there is no source to adapt. So it went from an adaption to being original. And it wasn't good with being original.

Even when it was good. Game of Thrones change a ton. Since the media is different. Their cast is vast, but cannot be as vast as the book. All locations are scaled down. Characters are combined. Then they fixed limitation of the book. Characters who not Point of View characters got more screen time to flesh out. Very much like Kaya and Nami scenes. Some characters survive the book that they start in, to become very much a background character that hang around. In the show, many of those characters are killed off to make room. Also free up the budget. And give their plot to more main/main secondary characters.

The thing is that if you read the reviews on this thread. Even my own reviews. I have plenty of problems. Some had problems with how Baratie changed and affect Sanji's two core concepts. One was the no food is wasted. THe other one is sometimes he went too far with his principle despite the consequences. And sometimes his kindness does win people over. Aka the Gin/Krieg plot. Or the fact that Usopp didn't have too many heroic moments due to Jango being cut. Or I don't like the Nami's villagers had a change in motivation. The thing when you found out in the manga that they knew all along. That they wanted Nami to abandon them and be free. That was powerful.

All that matter a lot more than Alvida.

It isn't that we aren't critical. We are. But we differed in things we deemed important. I read on a different forum. The baratie changed really affect people while I tolerate it, especially I thought the new stuffs are great (expansion of Arlong, Buggy, Luffy-Nami's dilemma, Luffy's burden of being a captain). But I had way more problem of Arlong Park arc. Where Mr Morj enjoyed the adaption of that arc way more than I am.

We are critical of the changes at different places depend on your values.

If Alvida is an eye candy issue for you. I pointed out there are plenty of eye candies in season 2 with all the other female characters. Also I am gay. So lol Helmeppo is a welcome scene. Where as I see some youtuber got freak out by the naked butt. Where I laugh my a** off at the scene.

Trending
One Pace
4,267 posts

lol even One Pace is trending. Seem like the indoctrination had begun for the conversion of Live Action to Anime pipeline.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

How does this fair up to the biggest show like Wednesday. First off, this taken from Monday to Sunday. One Piece premiere on a Thursday. So basically 3 to 4 days, next week should be a full week. I expect it does even better. Wednesday had the same increase, but it premiere on a Wednesday. So I expect the number to be a tad more.

Wednesday had 341 million total viewed (remember that it has 1 extra day from One Piece), roughly 390 minutes length (shorter than One Piece I assume), or 6.5 hours. This came out 52.5 million view (total/length). 10.5 million view per day.

One Piece had 18.5 million view. Or 4.62 million view per day.

I think this metric is better than breaking number one in 84-86 countries. Because many countries are not weighted equally. Some countries had more netflix accounts than other. The USA should weighted the most in this metric.

Another metric is how long can this keep up. If One Piece remained on the Top 10 for one month plus or even 2 months as more shows came out to compete. Then I said One Piece is successful. But we will see. Remember even Cowboy Bebop get number one spot when it first came out. Longevity is what matter. And the actual view count (which is household/individual).

They put One Piece at 140.1 million total view. One Piece had a length of 7.57 hours. About 1 hour+ longer than Wednesday despite had the same amount of episode.

So as of right now. Not breaking the record of Wednesday. Wednesday beat One Piece by a lot. By total hour view, and individual/household view.

DeadlyBeast

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am blurring all the comments in a blob right now. People on this thread (may even be you lol) or elsewhere also point out how shitty Yasopp is. Especially he was just island away and not visit his wife/son. There was a part where he is kinda sad when he realize Luffy was hanging out with his dad. Since you mention the subtle things.

As for slick. Maybe. He didn't fool no Baratie staff. It was Nami that did hush hush money that got them a table.
Wow I've always thought Yasopp was a shitty dad for abandoning his family but now that you point that out I feel it 10x more. From both the manga/anime perspective the Red Hair pirates were based out of Windmill village for a long while and he could have easily visited at least once or twice in that time. on top of that he never attempted to call or write a letter either. That's cold.

Haha maybe slick isn't the right word for it. He is kind of like a Chris Tucker in Rush Hour type where everyone knows he's bullshitting but at the same time are captivated in a distracting way. Like Usopp for me can talk his way out of problems in a goofy way. In the manga/anime he came off more like a lying kid that people don't even give attention to with the exception of other kids.

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
My only gripe with the fandom of these anime / manga projects is they want the live-action adaptations to speak to them and them alone. I’m reading most of the comments and it’s like, come on really?. It’s the first season and shows have to be developed for a general audience, not just fans relative of the source material.

For a start to something new to people who aren’t familiar with One Piece at all, it’s a damn good start. Fandom needs to appreciate more than complain sometimes imo. 🤔

Aki1991

Reaction score
Country
Greece
What do you think about Chopper?

I believe that only CGI would appear odd next to the other SH. I'm not sure if people would be on board with that, but it could work.

A costume, I think, would be the best option, but also quite elaborate. Perhaps something like they did with the 90s dinosaurs show back then, but of course, of higher quality.

A human chopper would be the easiest to implement but might face a lot of resistance. However, you could justify this with the human fruit. The question then becomes what to do with the transformations.

No matter what you choose, it will be a monumental task. Exciting...

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
CGI is technically very doable. Think Guardians of the Galaxy or Detective Pikachu. However those are roughly 2 hour movies, while season of OPLA would be 8 hours. Four times the time, effort and money. The budget is big, but MCU likely still has higher budget per minute. So the question is rather if it's sustainable option.

If it's an actor in prosthetics, we have the issue of kids growing up fast. Would an older Chopper mostly in man form be passable for us?

As for puppets... well they don't really move very naturally. In Dark Crystal we hardly ever saw any feet, Grogu moves around in a levitating ball and the groundhog from Sweethtooth often still or half underground. Chopper walks, runs, jumps and fights.

Regardless what route they go, some CGI is anyways needed for the transformations

It's really pickle, and I'm curious what they will do.

And honestly, they could always mix and match all three of these option

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
(Epiode 1: Romance Dawn - 7.5/10
Episode 2: The Man in the Straw Hat - 8/10
Episode 3: Tell No Tales - 6.5/10
Episode 4: The Pirates Are Coming - 7/10
Episode 5: Eat at Baratie - 8/10
Episode 6: The Chef and the Chore Boy - 7.5/10)

Episode 7: The Girl With the Sawfish Tattoo - 7/10

Okay, listen... I've been pretty good at not letting comparisons to the source material ruin my enjoyment so far. Most of the changes up to this point have made sense and in many cases fit better for this medium. But honestly, there are so many changes in this episode that just don't make sense to me, unless they were actively trying to make the storyline worse written than the original to highlight how good of a storyteller Oda is or something..

(Anyway, putting these in spoilers now bc idk if anyone cares to read all my walls of text but I'm doing this to kinda get my own thoughts in order as i go along.)

Nami's backstory is rushed as hell. Bellemere doesn't leave a tenth of the impact she should; hell, because it didn't get a chance to linger on a single scene, I barely got emotional from her backstory. That shouldn't be possible.
The town and even *Nojiko* actually not knowing what Nami was doing also ruins the impact of it all and makes all the drama behind it all so much... cheaper.

And yet. And this is a big and yet. Through the sheer force of her acting, like she was making the screen exude emotion onto me, Emily still caused my whole body to wince, my eyes to well up and goosebumps to spread in the breakdown/"help me"-scene. That whole scene was handled so faithfully.

It's just a shame that, like I said in my last post, the show's pacing doesn't allow nearly enough build-up to those moments. Yeah, you feel for Nami in this moment, but it's just not got that cathartic edge to it because we're not given enough focus and weight on the burden Nami has had to carry.

Anyway, that aside the episode was good. I liked the early added context to Arlong's hatred for the humans, Arlong as a whole is still so much better than I expected from the trailer, actually really intimidating and genuinely pretty cool.

Luffy listening to the backstory and actually contemplating throughout the episode (even though he believes in Nami), in this version makes a lot of sense.

I'm not gonna harp on the Garp storyline anymore (even though it's definitely what i would've cut most off throughout the season to allow for aforementioned emotional build-up) so I'll just say that Zeff and Garp's scenes were well written.

7/10, carried by Emily and Iñaki.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alls02budget
mil hoursmil hoursmil(mil/ep)
Witcher s02733.5519.5176.322.0
week 1week 2week 3week 4week 5week 6
Hour view (mil)142.4168.594.357.334.422.6
View (mil)18.822.312.57.64.53.0
Day rate (mil/day)6.33.21.81.10.60.4
w1w2w3w4w5w6
Total hours (mil)142.4310.9405.2462.5496.9519.5
Total view (mil)18.841.153.561.165.768.7

I thought Witcher s02 is a good comparison to track how One Piece s01 is doing.
Hour view is how Netflix traditionally keep track of things. I think overall it is a good number to keep track since it is engagement. Kinda like social media post, it isn't necessary a good overall indicator of the business. A show with more episodes probably have more hour view than a show with less. But it is also meant people are engaging and watching that many episode and not going to the competitor.

View is total hour/episode length. A rough estimate of how many people watching. It is most likely a household number rather than individuals. Which is good for the fandom. Like a boyfriend getting the gf to watch, or children getting their parents to watch. For the fandom, we got additional fans. But multiple people watching it at the same or just one person, the number doesn't indicate as much. Or course there are repeated viewing which made the number of people actually watching less than what is. There are people who start but didnt finished until next week which made it more than what it actually is.

Then the day rate. Which really matter that first week. Since data is taking from Monday to sunday. Some shows may got bigger number because they started on a Tuesday rather than a Saturday. Wednesday the show got a big bump in week 2 just like the Witcher, because week 2 is a full week not like the half week in week 1. However, the day rate should went down. As see in Witcher, it went down by half even the hour view is bigger.

One Piece Hour view of week 1 is 140 mil vs 142 mil of Witcher s02. Very similar number. Though noticed that I have in the summary, s02 view only and All (s01+02) view. WIthin 6 weeks, s02 racked up 519 mil hours view. But that also inspired an additional 214 mil hours view of season 1. Either rewatch or new viewer to the series. This is good for multi season show. If One Piece has a season 2, it could inspired new viewers to join.

One Piece week 1 view is 18.5 vs 18.8 for Witcher s02. Very similar number since they have very similar run time.
One Piece view day rate is 4.6 mil/day vs 6.3 mil/day. So One Piece is 73% of Witcher. This is due to One Piece had an extra day in that first week compare to Witcher. As you can see how the other 2 numbers are misleading to see which show is better performer.

So why did I compare to Witcher s02? Because Witcher had a way larger budget. 22 mil per episode vs One Piece's possibly 15.7 mil per episode. And also because Witcher got renew for s03.

Can't compare to s01 since they don't have the data. But if One Piece tracking similar number, despite its high budget, it probably gonna get greenlit. Also to note Witcher s02 got an upgrade in its budget compare to s01. Though it could be due to COVID.

Netflix Co-CEO Greg Peters speaking to investors today on
@OnePieceAnime
on $NFLX: "to be able to deliver it and have it be massively popular and a success around the world is amazing to see"

One Piece reached number one status in 86 countries. Initial report of it breaking Wednesday and Stranger Things record is misleading in term of overall success due to countries are weight unequal. USA and the west still have a lot more subscribers. Like today, One Piece is still ahead in 85 countries, but in the USA at least this moment in time, it fell to number 2 spot. That to me is a bit worrying. I text my lil sis way before the data even released to clammed down on some of her expectations. Number one status doesn't meant much. Since it is just Netflix data here. The real competition is with Ahsoka on Disney plus. And that too is hard to compare since it is one episode a week release there. And Netflix themselves don't release on their big hitter at once to cannibalize each others. So you have to look at their past hit show's performance in week 1 to 6 like I did with Witcher s02 and Wednesday before it.

However, Co-CEO is extremely happy. And why the number one status in 86 countries is a good thing. Netflix and streaming services in general want continuous growth. However, the USA is supersaturated and the ceiling for the USA is nearly reached. Many countries' living standard had improved tremendously. And big corporation want to break into other market. Having a product that well like across the globe is very positive for future growth. Since they can use it to market to their future consumer base.

Episode 7: The Girl With the Sawfish Tattoo - 7/10
I basically came to the same conclusion. In episode 3 or 4 or 6, they divert so much from the manga so I judge them on the new things they introduced. And a lot of it are very nice. But episode like 7, it felt like a sparknote version at time. The spoiler tag up to ep 7.

Like even with what they provide. At least show Nami watching the village burn at the end of ep 7 before stabbing herself. Because the village is what she care about

================================================================

Been noticing that there is a lack of traditional movie/tv/fandom (like star wars/mcu) reviewers for One Piece. Beyond the trailer lady straight up saying she is not watching it (and may watch it if it got a season 2). There are a ton of reaction channels though. I do wonder if this hurt or help. Reaction channel tend to be longer vids and tend to show so many scenes. Even if it is in low quality and chopped up. After watching a few of these, you reminded of so many interesting bits that the viewers ain't gonna rewatch the show because they felt they seen the show 3 or 4 or 5x now watching these vid. I tend to skip toward the end and watch their reviews. Many of these are not prior fans, and the reviews are positives. Though it is funny how some of their criticism is (understandable however) like Buggy is not scary enough. They totally didn't know how his character is going forward.

“This is a very high bar to meet, to basically take a storied manga and deliver it in English-language, live action,” the exec said. “Pretty much all the haters are out, looking for a reason to hate you for it. To be able to deliver it and have it be massively popular and a success around the world is amazing to see.”

" One Piece resulted from extensive collaboration between the U.S. and Japanese content teams at Netflix, Peters said. The series is an example of Netflix execs trying to find “places where there’s demand we’re not serving effectively” across the global subscriber base of 238 million, Peters said. “What we’re seeing is that the calculus behind that is getting more interesting and more complicated in ways that are very exciting to me.” During the rest of 2023, Peters estimated, several dozen new series will come along with the goal of “breaking down those barriers” between creators and audiences across territories. Paced by the ultimate example, 2021’s Squid Game, Netflix has increasingly prioritized series and films that can play well globally in spite of — or sometimes because of — their places of origin. "

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Never before have I seen someone get friend-zoned harder than Usopp by Kaya.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States

Another mainstream reviewer. I did notice people who super new to One Piece like it a lot more than One Piece fans. Because the former focus on what they have. And the latter focus on what was left out.

Well they said they can get it aired in 1 to 1.5 years if the strikes are over right away. I don't want them to rush. The sets are not build yet, most of the new casts and there are a TON of them are not being cast yet. And there are just so so so so so so many things next season for post production. Way more than than this season. Especially that error they had in episode 1 where they had zoro's sword bend like rubber.

I did some math. The bottom 102 countries of Netflix customer base is 15.85% of the overall base. The top 18 is 84.15%. The USA alone is 30% of the overall user base and near double of the bottom 102 countries. The UK came in third with 6.4%. Together these two countries are 36.4% or more than a third. This matter because One Piece already drop to second place in the USA and never made first place in the UK. Especially with weak competition too with a random controversial comedy special which probably 1/8 to 1/4 of the runtime of One Piece. I do hope the standing will improve with the weekend.

I will do a rewatch on Netflix. This time just for pure enjoyment and leaving behind the attachment to the source material.

slavkovski

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I only still in baratie episode.. If i dont know OP before i definitely will think that something are going to happen between Zoro and Nami LOL..
I always enjoy swordsman especially samurai fighting that's why i really like Zoro's fighting here..

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still going through the eps before I post a ep-to-ep review from the template above.

Things I liked so far:
  • Hawkeye was great
  • Garp is great, too
  • The story flow is different enough that I find myself surprised at times but it still maintains the main plot points
  • Buggy was great, and the line between psychotic and comic relief is actually treaded carefully
  • Luffy's nuanced personality in this is a bit refreshing. I don't think the shonen idiot trope works well in a LA
  • Sanji's actor has been great so far
Things I don't like so far:
  • Not a fan of Usopp's overall character in this. The acting feels.. lacking
  • "Gum gum" is cringe to me. I honestly wish they'd revisit and improve on that somehow. The Kuro fight was great, but the gum-gum part was so awkward to me
  • Koby's perpetually "surprised face" / expression drives me a bit crazy
Overall I'm enjoying it a lot but it's definitely not flawless.

shailks

Reaction score
Country
India
Precisely @catagon87, it’s entertaining enough for long time reader like me so imagine someone who would be starting off from this. They gonna love it.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
One thing I really don't like is how serious Garp is most of the time. One thing I like about Garp in the manga is that he's one of the most unserious characters and probably the most unserious Marine ever, but in the live action it's the opposite for the most part. So annoying.

Didn't like that Mihawk never saw Zoro raise his sword either after defeat, I thought that was important for the Mihawk-Zoro dynamic.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing I really don't like is how serious Garp is most of the time. One thing I like about Garp in the manga is that he's one of the most unserious characters and probably the most unserious Marine ever, but in the live action it's the opposite for the most part. So annoying.

I am mix on it but I know exactly what they are trying to set up. Garp this season, Ace coming next season. For all of Garp's fear about the execution, for all of his fear to realize. It gonna be hard for them to cast so so so so many characters for Marineford. Many I suspect will be treated like Nojiko, Genzo, Boodle, Beckman. Where much much lesser actor/actress are employed to cut down cost. And they may need to recast latter. Exception would be people like Doffy.

But Garp would have even a larger role ahead of marineford and incoming to marineford. He would be one of the bigger emotional beat for the show for this arc.

Many are talking about combining Jaya/Skypiea and Water 7/enies lobby into one season of 10 to 12 episodes. We could easily see Marineford in season 4 or 5. Of course this is all premature since we don't even know if they greenlit season 2 and with a decent budget.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I loved it.
At it's source, it's One Piece. It's not the manga or the anime and thank goodness it didn't try to be or it would've failed. OG One Piece is a series meant for Japanese boys, according to Oda. LA One Piece is meant for a broader audience. There HAD to be changes for it to work with that in mind. How much to change willingly? How much will change out of necessity? How to put the core concepts of the series in live action? It's quite a balancing act, but I think the show, for the most part, did a great job.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
When Ace meet Luffy next season, they should really really strongly allude to Sabo, even if they don't outright talk about Sabo. The LA had some advantage that the manga didn't. Is that they have years of One Piece fan opinion, and information from latter sagas and arcs.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Wow, sorry, but the live is so cringe.
Anime should almost never attempt to be translated directly into a live action, it doesn't work for me.
Luffy screaming Gum Gum in that scrawny voice is godawful. The fight scenes just can't be done justice.

Nami screaming Arlong and stabbing her arm just lacked authenticity. I'd much rather they didn't try to go quote for quote with the Manga and just revise it in a way that seems realistic to the real world e.g. (Luffy approaches Nami as she stabs herself... "says stop that shit" and tells her to hold on to his hat), I'd much rather they used modern language.
The acting is what ruins it for me, Zoro just seems like some tryhard emo-kid, Luffy's enthusiasm seems so fake, Zeff seems like a knock-of Gordon Ramsey. When you can't even buy into a character's tears and trauma, it looks silly. This show looks like it should have been on Nickelodeon with the level of acting.

Glad it's getting attention, hope people actually like it, but it's definitely not for me. Would hope I am just a minority, I certainly won't be watching anymore of whatever this is. Sticking to the Manga.