One Piece Mega Convo Thread, the 2nd Chapter | Page 119 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

One Piece Mega Convo Thread, the 2nd Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

deffkryz

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Are we again on this topic? Oda showed back in Nanohana that Logia users cannot rely on their intangibility once Luffy smashed both Smoker and Ace through some walls (plus Smoker pushing down Ace afterwards) - they just aren't permanently intangible - and I decline those scenes to be mere comic reliefs.

There's also some kind of elemental advantage that Luffy showed against Enel. What so hard to understand that Ace's flames were beaten by Akainu's magma - both logia powers, but magma being more substancial than flames?

Romanov D Paul

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
It wasn't onyl comical deff, that's right, but what happened in Arabasta with Ace and Smoker was probably a result of their inexperience with their powers, since little later Crocodile showed that it's possible to train logia powers to activate in response of any phisical attacks, instead of consciously used by their wielder to counter an incoming hit. Therefore, Ace and Smoker probably weren't as good as Crocodile regarding the control of their ability, since as we were able to see from the war at the summit at least Smoker has become good enough to use his powers passively like the Croco-boy, there's a panel where a pirate attack him from behind but only slashes trough smoke.

Last edited:

chess4

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

i think oda has set up the celestial dragons for the next arc on fishman island. i think charlos will want a mermaid and the dragons will have some troops go to fishman island to capture one, while the strawhats are there and a big brawl will take place with luffy still injured will sit this one out. i think hancock will be there as well and she will began to mentally heal a bit from the actions of the strawhats. i also think a fishman will take notice and will want to join the crew. so that means we get new members joining at the same time.

since they will have stopped the celestial dragons from getting what they want and what happen on SA, all the strawhats will get new bounties.

Last edited:

BlackHair

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Holy smokes.. I wasn't intending to create a discussion on Ace vs Akainu. Nor was I claiming that Akainu lied. Haki and superior element can be used to bypass intangibility.

Regarding Luffy vs Smoker and Ace, both of them were not aware of Luffy's attack. Furthermore they were not in untouchable/logia state. So they did not prepare for that, since they got hit by surprise. So this has nothing to do with superiority like Luffy vs Enel or Fire vs Magma. I also disagree with "inexperience". Both Ace and Smoker proofed that they can turn themselves into logia state, before the war arc.

Last edited:

BetaRuler

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iv just noticed the quote by Willy Karen, way back at the start of Skypeia about "anything a man can imagine is a possiblity within reality".

I wanted to ask does anyone have any info on who this Willy Karen is meant to be? I'm curious about him now o,o

WinningDays

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I was looking for info on him too, but I think he's just someone Oda made up...
A physicist in the OP world...
There's a possibility that he's based on a person that really existed though...
I wonder about the quote though, I love that quote, it pops up in my mind all the time...
If Oda made it up himself, that would just be too awesome...

EToS

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Willy Karen is a real physicist. That quote is about relativity if I remember correctly; I think I heard it before in university.

BetaRuler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I could find some proof to suggest he is real then, I did look over google for a bit, but I would only find results refering to one piece fan forums.

Also a side note, is there a site or any other place that keeps all the cover stories together? So that we can go straight from page 1 of a side story to another? It's hard to make sense of them sometimes just because your skipping through other chapters and colour spreads looking for them.

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Also a side note, is there a site or any other place that keeps all the cover stories together? So that we can go straight from page 1 of a side story to another? It's hard to make sense of them sometimes just because your skipping through other chapters and colour spreads looking for them.
You can find all the mini-stories on this page,
http://www.volonte-d.com/mini.php

darklide

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
You can find all the mini-stories on this page,
http://www.volonte-d.com/mini.php
Thx for the link :)
While browsing the website ive come across this:

http://www.volonte-d.com/details/anecdotes.php

These are anecdotes about one piece. I didnt read the whole mega convo thread and i dunno if these anecdotes have ever been discussed here. If thats the case sorry for reposting.

I'll try to translate the anecdotes as best as i can, though its the last one which interests me more.

The first anecdote talks about how one piece was just supposed to be a 5-year manga but oda decided to make it become his first and last long manga/story (i think this one can be found on wiki)

The second one is about WB and how oda got the idea for the character.

The third anecdote is about ryuuma who is said to be a character inspired from one of the short stories that oda has written before: "Monsters"

And finally the anecdote which interests me is the fourth one:
If you look at the illustration you can distinguish Boa Hancock among the 4 characters present. This illustration had first been published in 1999 and then it was published again in one piece's artbook which was published in japan in 2003.

This shows that oda had Boa Hancock in mind since quite a long time. Now the question which remains is: Will we see the 3 remaining characters on the illustration? And if yes, when?

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The first and third one should be know to every true reader, :) while the fourth was discussed here before, but the one with Whitebeards origin is new to me, I think so at least.

The google translator is working pretty good with those texts.^^

jojoSB

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The bottom one is Brown Beard, don't you think so?

Top right one is a samurai, likely belongs to Ryuuma's Kingdom...?
Surely Zorro would like to visit one day.

That leaves the star-cape man last. All the star motifs are usually
depicted as someone from the West?

The New World will make the strawhats travel all 4 New sea, if
the manga is going for a long run.

Last edited:

Gcat88

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
the bottom one is brown beard. see Oda knew we would love him before we even met these ppl. I think the top right is going to be another villain and the middle is going to be a villain/friend. After SH conquer the world they have to travel the world one more time to prove they deserve the right. IT WILL TAKE A WHILE!!!

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thx for the link :)
While browsing the website ive come across this:

http://www.volonte-d.com/details/anecdotes.php

These are anecdotes about one piece. I didnt read the whole mega convo thread and i dunno if these anecdotes have ever been discussed here. If thats the case sorry for reposting.

I'll try to translate the anecdotes as best as i can, though its the last one which interests me more.

The first anecdote talks about how one piece was just supposed to be a 5-year manga but oda decided to make it become his first and last long manga/story (i think this one can be found on wiki)

The second one is about WB and how oda got the idea for the character.

The third anecdote is about ryuuma who is said to be a character inspired from one of the short stories that oda has written before: "Monsters"

And finally the anecdote which interests me is the fourth one:
If you look at the illustration you can distinguish Boa Hancock among the 4 characters present. This illustration had first been published in 1999 and then it was published again in one piece's artbook which was published in japan in 2003.

This shows that oda had Boa Hancock in mind since quite a long time. Now the question which remains is: Will we see the 3 remaining characters on the illustration? And if yes, when?
Yeah I've been on that website a few time and I know about all those anecdotes. The inspiration for WB I read somewhere else before that, especially how the old man Oda based him on would always say something along the lines of "you're ... years too young to tell me what to do"

That's one of the main reasons I love OP; because of the interesting anecdotes it has.

the bottom one is brown beard. see Oda knew we would love him before we even met these ppl. I think the top right is going to be another villain and the middle is going to be a villain/friend. After SH conquer the world they have to travel the world one more time to prove they deserve the right. IT WILL TAKE A WHILE!!!

That could really be Brownbeard :o, nice!! gcat

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't think so, Brownbeard doesn't have a gothic like helmet. Also he seems like a cameo character to me. I hope the 3 designed characters will be more important than that. Especially in comparison to Hancock

El-Thor

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible the guy with the helmet is actually a giant. One the SH crew will meet when they go to the island (or Usopp goes). Now why Oda didn't draw him bigger than the others... because it would be too obvious.

Gats

The Green Knight
Reaction score
Country
France
The first and third one should be know to every true reader, :) while the fourth was discussed here before, but the one with Whitebeards origin is new to me, I think so at least.

The google translator is working pretty good with those texts.^^
Actually there is already a translation from google somewhere here. I don't remember which thread. French/English is easy to traduce so yeah google works very well here.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Well, one thing I like point is that the shoulder-rocket guy's silhouette fit one of the Yonkou:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
If you want some real french english translations, don't hesitate to ask...

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Well, one thing I like point is that the shoulder-rocket guy's silhouette fit one of the Yonkou:

That's possible since he's got shoulder pats. The only pirates that wore them were all famous captains : Roger, Whitebeard and Blackbeard.

Status
Not open for further replies.