goldb

片翼の天使/ Katayoku no Tenshi
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ground Rules for the Power Level Discussion Thread

As always, please follow the guidelines set by the Forum Rules that apply across the board.

It's important that discussions that includes topics referenced in a current chapter are spoiler tagged until 24h have passed from an english release.

• For the sake of constructive discussion, where and when possible please quote/ source any information you provide. Particularly when it comes to conversations carried over from other threads.
  • Avoid passive agressive posts, sly remarks or baiting/trolling. You can certainly have fun or disagree without it being at someone's expense.
  • Only use anime examples that are canon and as means to provide clarity to pages in the manga. Any other anime material is otherwise non-canon and should only be referenced if it can be proved that the mangaka had approved it.
  • We will strive to avoid repetitive discussions and any extensive battle topics will be guided to the Davy Back fight to existing threads or new ones can be made there.

As of now these topics are shelved due to repetitiveness or until the manga can present us with material to further discussions:

1. Shanks v Mihawk
  2. Hand to hand fighters > Swordsmen
  3. Zoro > Luffy
  4. Zoro v Sanji
  5. Is Smoker a top 30 character?
  6. Mihawk's rank within the story

If you wish to continue any of these discussion and remove it from the list, you will need to provide manga material as proof. If there's also anything you think we've covered numerous times, let me know and I'll update the list.

This is the only warning there'll be regarding these ground rules, anything no adhering will be removed. So please just check your posts before posting them.

Last edited:

LordWhis

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Those are completely random ages lol and you have no idea of powerless whe Zoro is 40 lol. That's that statistic of toxicity I've talked about. "If Zoro lives to fifty and Luffy dies at 21???"

The mental gymnastics needed to come to that conclusions...
Luffy dying after the final war is a common theory.

Fox666

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Actually I think both Luffy and Zoro's deaths have been foreshadowed.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
All that Gear 2 and hormone shots will kick in at some point.
Okay if Oda kills Luffy at 21 and Zoro lives to be 40, I will concede to Zoro fans and say Zoro is the strongest in verse lol

LordWhis

Reaction score
Country
India
Actually I think both Luffy and Zoro's deaths have been foreshadowed.
Oda once said in an SBS Zoro might die in his 40s or something along those lines.

LordWhis

Reaction score
Country
India
How is Zoro's death foreshadowed?
Ryuuma died at 47 from mysterious circumstances IIRC
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also I’ve been saying 21 when I meant to say 19 !

LordWhis

Reaction score
Country
India
What are the thoughts on Yamato ? I think he could be around YC level and he may even knock Sanji down a few places in the crew’s strength ratings.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How is Zoro's death foreshadowed?
He's constantly in near-death situations, has cursed swords, his master/rival is based on Dracula, the entire scene with Kuma and more recently the talk about samurais and death.

What are the thoughts on Yamato ? I think he could be around YC level and he may even knock Sanji down a few places in the crew’s strength ratings.
Yamato took down Ulti and one of the Numbers, both which forced Luffy to use Gear 4.

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Here's a fun ranking in order of strength I thought of off the bat! You may or may not read in to it. In a sense it's my POV of how I see the elite characters in One Piece both alive and dead and their overall ranking taking in to perspective their combat strength in their prime - especially for those who are beyond that age/dead - and currently as the story goes.
Notice the 3 asterisked characters :) more explanation about why they are ranked there and my reason behind it...

Character : Tier

Roger: Legendary
Whitebeard: Legendary
Garp: Legendary
Xebec: Legendary
Sengoku: Legendary
Rayleigh: Legendary
Kaido: Great - Legendary
Shanks: Great - Legendary
Big Mom: Great - Legendary
*Oden: Great - Legendary
*Blackbeard: Great
Akainu & Aokiji: Great
Kizaru: Great
Fujitora & Ryokogyu: Great
*Mihawk: Great
Beckman: Great
Marco: Great
Katakuri: Great
King: Great
Weevil: Great
Tsuru: Great

From here on, the list broadens and accomodates too many characters mostly in the YC level category. Many of whom we are familiar with. I may decide to share my thoughts on those when I have the chance but I'll pause here for now.

So as for the asterisked trio:

1) The only reason Oden isn't in the Legendary tier is due to the fact that he died just before his prime (he was almost there). He definitely would have been at least on par with Rayleigh but an untimely death prevented that. I'm one of those who feel he might have reached a similar level to Roger and Whitebeard if only he lived like 20 years more. He was this close!

2) Blackbeard may be the freshest Yonko in terms of coronation - of course Shanks has the best looks and is the youngest of the 4 :^_^ - and that shouldn't be a judge of his strength compared to the rest but it just feels that way for me. He may as well be in the Great - Legendary tier of my list (sitting bottom) but I'd regretfully settle with him taking the no. 1 spot among the Great tier.

3) The most handsome Shichibukai ever elected. Arguably the most handsome character in the series. I feel there's a slim chance Mihawk ranks with the Great - Legendary tier but that just doesn't sit well with what I've seen so far. This is the one character that has caused me a little headache but the least he can be is being on par with characters in the Great tier. I hope I don't regret this decision when the Mihawk reveal begins and the man shows off his "great" sword skills :p
I think it's time Kaido gets in my Legendary tier. He'll be the first character among the current Yonkos to reach that level for me. He's earned it.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

For those who thought/still think the weakest Yonko would go down first.
Well, unless Kaido somehow escapes defeat this arc, I don't see that happening.

It may have been a thing in most storytelling trope were the weakest is taken down first and then progressively, the protagonist fights his way to the strongest. Here, we have the "strongest pirate/strongest creature" being set-up to go down in what is likely going to be an overly collective effort with Luffy spearheading it.
Also to those who think Luffy automatically becomes Kaido level or Kaido strong after this war you're all set up for disappointment. You don't get stronger than your opponent when you defeat them by collective effort. Luffy is still likely going to be weaker than the established Yonko post Wano but the gap between him and any one of them would have narrowed down significantly. It would be similar to the gap between a Yonko's second in command and an Admiral but with the room for explosive growth in-battle.

Last edited:

Moegara

天夜叉 / Heavenly Yaksha
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Luffy dying after the final war is a common theory.

I'm ready for seeing Luffy become a bad parent figure while his daughter Buffy tries to become King of the Pirates herself in the sequel.

I don't think Luffy will die simply because he's the "face" of One Piece. He's not only the protagonist but also a character recognized even by non-otaku people internationally, so they'll want to keep him around for eternity like Goku.

I'll actually be happy if they don't and just let One Piece die when its time comes, but I don't think they will.

LordWhis

Reaction score
Country
India
I'm ready for seeing Luffy become a bad parent figure while his daughter Buffy tries to become King of the Pirates herself in the sequel.

I don't think Luffy will die simply because he's the "face" of One Piece. He's not only the protagonist but also a character recognized even by non-otaku people internationally, so they'll want to keep him around for eternity like Goku.

I'll actually be happy if they don't and just let One Piece die when its time comes, but I don't think they will.
Buffy will be about Shanks and Makino’s daughter IMO

I think it's time Kaido gets in my Legendary tier. He'll be the first character among the current Yonkos to reach that level for me. He's earned it.
I agree 100% I think he’s as strong as a Prime Rayleigh.

Lord Traffy Law

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing Sanji has done so far suggests he is as strong as Ichiji, i would say Sanji currently is as strong if not a little stronger than Niji but for Ichiji Sanji would need to do a lot, i mean Ichiji was able to hold of Katakuri and OHKO Oven someone comparable to the Flying 6, while Sanji needs to put in a lot of effort to beat Page One
ichiji never held off katakuri , he got lol stomped , low diffed, you might be using the anime interpretation, it wasn't even close at all between them in the manga, ichiji got stomped in one chapter 871

heck sanji did way better against king than ichiji did against katakuri ( and king appears likely stronger than katakuri ), ichiji was saved by the island exploding but kaakuri had beaten him and had him dead to rights in like 3 minutes, they are not comparable

and he momentarily damaged oven , but oven was more than okay to keep fighting, heck sanji blitzed and completely speed destroyed oven, then carried 2 people away , he's above oven too

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nothing Sanji has done so far suggests he is as strong as Ichiji, i would say Sanji currently is as strong if not a little stronger than Niji but for Ichiji Sanji would need to do a lot, i mean Ichiji was able to hold of Katakuri and OHKO Oven someone comparable to the Flying 6, while Sanji needs to put in a lot of effort to beat Page One
Using Page One as a point of reference seems a bit odd

Sanji got the upper hand on Oven with a sneak attack

Ichinji overpowered Oven relatively easily, he also punched Perosperos

I would say Ichinji is still stronger than Sanji

Shasha23

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
ichiji never held off katakuri , he got lol stomped , low diffed, you might be using the anime interpretation, it wasn't even close at all between them in the manga, ichiji got stomped in one chapter 871

heck sanji did way better against king than ichiji did against katakuri ( and king appears likely stronger than katakuri ), ichiji was saved by the island exploding but kaakuri had beaten him and had him dead to rights in like 3 minutes, they are not comparable

and he momentarily damaged oven , but oven was more than okay to keep fighting, heck sanji blitzed and completely speed destroyed oven, then carried 2 people away , he's above oven too
If i remember correctly he stepped in front of him way before Katakuri took him down, he did that before Judge confronted Big Mom, that for me is showing that Ichiji did hold of Katakuri even if it was for a minute or 2, none could achive that exept Luffy.

Ichiji made Oven useless until much much much later on, unlike with Sanji who couldnt do the same heck Sanji couldnt even damage Oven with a sneak attack, remember from the point Oven was gearing to fight and then got taken out to the point he was useful again was hours after Ichiji attacked him.

Monox D. I-Fly

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Seeing how Dragon and Yasopp are, I can see this one coming.