Interesting... few people have said otherwise. But Islam has contributed as much to the world as Christianity or Hinduism has.
I am hesitant to ascribe religious characteristics to people, you don't hear Da vinci being described as a christian scientist nevertheless I think I will be doing that a bit, for simplicity.
I think you may be conflating Christianity with modern Western Civilization. The first Islamic empires lied at the crossroads of the hindustan and byzantine civilizations while simultaneously amalgamating the persian civilization into its structure (post Umayyad caliphate). It benefited from a huge resource of intellectual thought, scripture and teachings which it then began to develop and progress even further. This intellectual legacy carried on and led to more modern developments especially during the middle ages when Europe was in intellectual demise. Many of the intellectual underpinnings of modern western civilization, i.e. Greek philosophy and sciences would later be translated from Arabic back into Latin (by men like Thomas Aquinas) and would be the seeds of the european renaissance. Most of what we know about philosophy and science would have been lost during the middle ages and our modern world would not have existed as we know it today.
An example of this that you might be familiar with is Hindu-Arabic numerals. The basic number system. It was invented and developed in the subcontinent and those teachings were used by islamic mathematicians (like Al-kindi, Khwarzimi) and further developed. This work was then translated into Latin (by men like Fibonacci), afterwards the false assumption was made that the numeric system was originally arabic and began calling it arabic numerals even though the Arabs/Persians themselves did explicitly call it hindu. This is only recently being rectified.
I don't like Dawkins either, he is indeed an ass, but I always interpreted his problems with religion in this way: people use the literal facet of religion when it suits them, and they ignore it when it doesn't suit them...I think that's his main issue, and I think it's a relevant one, when he's trying to get his message out to the masses of people, whom by the way have little to no knowledge of theology, and they mix up spirituality with superstition, and their religious beliefs come from priests who have their own interpretation of what religious life means
And if he's making money at the same time, then it's good for him I guess...
I understand but I still think it doesn't matter about those who pick and chose. That is the point of interpretation, you use your critical faculties to decide what is allegory or metaphorical and what is literal. And most of the picking and choosing has structured reasoning behind it. He simply fights against literalism (which is a worthy goal) and conflates that into fighting against all religious thought, which is silly imo.
The dawn of institutionalized religion you mean...which I think it can be argued that it began in 325, in Nicaea....unless someone else has knowledge of earlier date(s)
That would be the dawn of institutionalised christianity but not of institutionalised religion which stretches into the earliest times of recorded history. To give you some examples, the Zoroastrian church of ancient persia, the ancient egyptian and greek polytheistic religions, the ancient babylonian religions and the ancient sumerian religions. There were places of worship, governmental funding and all sorts of rituals that extended from these, and many of them have lasted longer than modern religions like Christianity and Islam (so far of course). The epic of Gilgamesh for example gives a great insight into very early religions.