Leen said:
However, I am interested in how the concept of Jihad influences so many suicide bombers nowadays. No, I'm not bashing any religion, but it is a fact that people (who might be sidetracked from the original religion) uses jihad as an excuse to kill perfectly innocent people.
How would you explain that?
just to make it clear, I'm not Muslim, however I've been studying Islam in the historical perspective, so if I say anything incorrect, I apologize in advance..
during the time of the Crusades, there was friction between the Byzantine Christians and the Muslims over who shall claim the Levant area (i.e. Jerusalem).
Initially, the area of Jerusalem was shared between the two neighbors, both somewhat coexisting peacefully, and even there are evidence of trade between the two empires in this region.
I believe it all started when the Muslims saw Jerusalem as a potential commercial area in which they will greatly profit from, and so there's evidence that they tried to gain a monopoly control of this region, via slowly restricting access of the region from non-Muslims, through taxation.
In other words, for instance, Christians and Jews who wanted to travel to Jerusalem to worship were taxed extra, and I think this was the beginning of where there was tension.
Naturally the Crusades followed, in which the Byzantines tried to reclaim Jerusalem in what they perceived as belonging to them. This was the essence of the Holy War, in their perspective, and theirs was limited only in this sense; which is to reclaim Jerusalem, and that's it.
Similarly, "jihad" was in the same way, for Muslims, to maintain possession of Jerusalem, and further, to expand, until the whole world embraces Islam.
At least this was the early interpretation of "jihad"; by contrast, the modern interpretation of "jihad" is less militaristic, but more spiritual and moral.
The term "jihad" denotes: "to strive in the path of [Allah]".
In order to understand the attitudes that is associated with this notion of "jihad", Muslims truly believe their faith to be the correct one, and if they are being threatened by outside aggression, defending their faith is justified.....however, it is clear in the Qu'ran that Islam must not be spread by compulsion......this is very clear.
In fact, to give an idea of how it was, historically, Muslims never forced their non-Muslim neighbors into accepting Islam...in fact most of the time they coexisted with them tolerantly and peacefully, except maybe they were taxed extra, but in general, these taxes were reasonable. The Abrahamic faiths (Christians, Jews), and the Zoroastrians, were tolerated in Islam rule, with the exception of other faiths other than these (i.e. animists, polytheists, etc.), they unfortunately were not as lucky. but this was an exception and I don't want to stray too off topic..
Another thing to understand about Islam is that in general they felt threatened from within and outside, and so it's natural that they were a faith who consistently needed to defend and maintain their faiths, via militaristic means, if necessary.
So "jihad" was a justified means of defending the faith from threat, and with the exception of occasional "truce", where they cooled of a bit, the theory is that over time, every people would embrace Islam, and so in this sense, expansion will be gradual, and perpetual (it never stops). However, they expand not by force or compulsion, only when a threat necessitates the need to defend the faith, is it considered justified, and this last point is important.
So having said all that, I think it is understandable why some Muslims feel threatened and feel the need to adopt a militaristic "jihad" attitude against the West...and it's a complicated issue that deals with the political, cultural, economic, and social reality, and not something we can simply understand in a simplistic way...in my opinion, I don't condone the violence, and I think it's only a tiny minority of Muslims who adopt the practice of suicide bombing....and it is not something shared by all Muslims, I hope.
anyway, if I made any false assumptions or incorrect statements, I apologize....these are all stuff I've been learning in my historical studies about the Middle East...