Shounen - Rin by Sakuishi Harold | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Rin by Sakuishi Harold

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
RIN

By: Sakuishi Harold
Genre: Shounen, School life
Serialized In: Monthly Shounen Magazine

The new shounen by the author of Beck and Seven Shakespeares.

Mangaupdate resume:
Fushimi is a high-school student who also aspires to be a mangaka. Rin is a model who appears to be able to see the future. What will happen in the future?

It's just a chapter but I'm sure there are a lot of Beck fans here. I must say one can recognize Harold style at first sight. Who else can draw such ugly characters (Minoru Furuya maybe). Even if the young highschool boy wanting to be a mangaka is not something new, the add of Rin character and her supernatural abilities add a bit of mystery that make you want to know what happen next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Re: [New] Rin by Sakuishi Harold

Finished reading the first chapter. It is really a good start and this series has potential, in my opinion. I was thinking that this Manga would probably go into cliche route about achieving dreams and ambitions in a straightforward manner, but I forgot that the author of this Manga is Harold, so I believe that he would expand the plot into something much bigger and interesting.

I also notice that drawing ugly people is also Harold's specialty in making manga, pretty much the same with Minoru or Hanazawa Kengo, the difference is that Harold could draw a beautiful face if he wants to (just take a look at Rin).

Looking forward for the next chapter, I suggest every Beck and 7-nin no Shakespeare fans to read this.

Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

The first chapter was good but nothing special so far. You certainly got the Beck feeling while reading the chapter. I like that even though the main character is similar to Koyuki, he still has different traits (interested in girls form the get-go, more outgoing, not bullied, already ambitious and diligent). I am not too sure about Rin´s character at this point, she certainly could add something interesting and fresh to the manga but she could very well also ruin it.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

This being a series by Harold Sakuishi, I just had to read it (despite me not reading Shakespeare for some reason, most likely because I forgot about it). Pretty good first chapter, though I expected Norito and Rin to meet already. That's not a bad thing though, and I expect to see this series turn into something great.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

The bad thing is, we have to wait another month to know what direction the manga will take since it is published is MSM.

Estranho

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

It's just me or this Rin reminds a lot of the Li in 7-nin no Shakespeare? Including the "power".

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

One difference is that the main characters both don't interact much with the others so I'm still wondering how and when the 2 story lines will intertwine. As for the common point I wonder if this Holly will become Beck's Eiji. The first impressions he gives are similar.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

I really hope that Rin and Fushimi would meet at least by the next chapter, considering that several last pages of chapter 2 some sort of hinting that they're going to meet in Tokyo. I assume Holly is going to be Fushimi's rival, if we're going to the classic troupe, but let's just say if Sakuishi does not stick into that troupe, I'm also wondering what kind of role that Holly would play in the future.

This manga is moving at relatively slow paces, I was thinking that Rin would meet Fushimi at chapter 2, even though I need to admit that this has been an enjoyable read so far.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

I really hope that Rin and Fushimi would meet at least by the next chapter, considering that several last pages of chapter 2 some sort of hinting that they're going to meet in Tokyo. I assume Holly is going to be Fushimi's rival, if we're going to the classic troupe, but let's just say if Sakuishi does not stick into that troupe, I'm also wondering what kind of role that Holly would play in the future.

This manga is moving at relatively slow paces, I was thinking that Rin would meet Fushimi at chapter 2, even though I need to admit that this has been an enjoyable read so far.
Holly being a rival could happen but i don´t think for long, Fushimi recognized that he is already superior compared to Holly. I could imagine the latter being some kind of "Eiji" though, meaning that he could initially be more successful. You are completely right concerning the slow pace but it´s not really different than his other series like Beck or Shakespeare.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Just like with the first chapter this was a very enjoyable read. I actually don't want Fushimi and Rin to meet just yet. In fact, I think that they'll get pretty close to meeting eachother but for some reason don't. And as for Holly, I hope he doesn't end up being too much of a jerk, that or at least I hope the manga shows that he has a good side.

Crayola

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

New chapter out.

It looks like he's throwing another rival in, and the two finally cross paths. We also get a bit more insight in to Rin's powers and know that her prediction in chapter 1 wasn't just her trolling.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

New chapter out.

It looks like he's throwing another rival in, and the two finally cross paths. We also get a bit more insight in to Rin's powers and know that her prediction in chapter 1 wasn't just her trolling.
http://rycolaa.com/manga/reader/read/rin/en/0/3/page/1

Yeah, seems like his "real" rival appeared now, it is also nice that they meet and that Rin seemed to have seen something special in Fushimi. I am a bit annoyed by his overreacting but i guess it´s part of his personality.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

I didn't expect the meeting to come this fast but it's good ib a way. When they are together in the elevator, I was asking myself when will they talk ? What will happen between both of them ? I really like this scene and probably even more when we will have more knowledge of the plot.
Also I'm not sure if I was the only one but I didn't catch immediately that the veterab mangaka was a ghost so I had to read it two times. I like it when the author tricks me. So ovefall a very good chapter for me.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Third chapter is good, I enjoyed it; My prediction about that they're going to meet was right either, so I can say that I'm satisfied with this month chapter. I have to agree that the spread and scenes within the elevator are very moving, it gives the vibe that there will be a long story between both of them as titular character and the main protagonist.

It looks like the new prodigy Mangaka is not a douche, and probably would make a better rival to Fushimi than Holly. The appearance of dying veteran Mangaka is quite surprising, but mainly because the editor was beating around the bush when he was explaining him - only the last sentence makes it clear that he has died two years ago.

Obviously I'm going to read the next chapter.

Enn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I hope to see a more realistic approach in manga-making compared to Bakuman.

Also, the 'Rin' factor is also interesting and I still can't quite tie it up with the story, as to how she'll take part in it.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

A very interesting chapter that sets up the characters in their respective roles. Fushimi as the underdog, Taki as the rival and the wall Fushimi has and will have to overcome, Nishiguchi as somewhat a mentor, similar to Saitou in Beck, Rin as Fushimi´s biggest supporter and main love interest who probably has her own storyline and way more screen time than Maho in Beck, Asuna? (the high school broad in his class) as second love interest (at least from Fushimi´s point of view) who will distract him from drawing. At first glance, the setup seems a lot different than Beck but actually, it is not.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Really love the chapter and I deeply enjoyed interactions between Fushimi, Taki, and Rin. I'm curious why Rin is interested in Fushimi, it seems too early that Rin's "happiness" upon seeing Fushimi is romantically motivated. I hope next chapter something surprising happens, since I have yet to see the main conflict in this manga besides Fushimi's dream to get serialized.

Enn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I like the fact that the Taki character has some sense, and not just someone who's way overboard normal or pompous as a mangaka. Anyway, it is indeed following the premise of Beck while having its own personality/atmosphere.

I suppose Rin has also sensed the connection between her and Fushimi (and possibly the future)?