Shounen - Robot x Laserbeam Hangout Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Robot x Laserbeam Hangout Thread

Who will win the match between Robo and Suzaku?

• Suzaku in a close match.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They will tie.

• Robo in a close match.

• Robo by a landslide.

• Total voters

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also, what level are you estimating Shintaro at? Do you think he's anywhere near Youzan or much lower level (considering Youzan can keep up with pros)?
He might be better than most (being the club captain and all) but I think he's not near Youzan's level, seeing as he's a first year and already playing in pro tournaments. Probably not far though, like maybe he's failed to qualify for pro tournaments or does so but hasn't made the first round cut yet.

Well, Tomoya told him about Youzan, but I guess Robo won't know what he looks like. I think it'd be more interesting if they met without Robo recognizing Youzan. I could also see Youzan being a factor in sparking Robo's competitive spirit. Like you noted, Robo isn't interested in competitions, so maybe he'll start "playing" golf, but only in the sense that he tries to hit a specific target, but not with the intention of competing or beating anyone. If Youzan sees that he might challenge Robo to a 1-on-1 match and it could go from there.

The other possibility is that they won't meet for quite a while, but given that they're the two main characters, I think that's unlikely.
Interesting part about Robo's competitive spirit, that could definitely play out that way; he and Youzan playing a friendly round to hit specific targets and Youzan edging him out by hitting shots in a particular way that Robo can't do yet because of playing experience, which awakens his ambition to compete and learn.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We need to see him drive yet. The chapter made a few points about 'power' and accuracy vs distance, perhaps this is where Robo will need some time to develop. Can already see him being a great putter.
Indeed. He managed to clear the 150 yards just fine, but he might not be able to hit much farther than 200 or so (which is what Shintaro put the weakest golfers at). If the top pros can hit around 300 though and Youzan is close to pro level, he could easily have an advantage of 50 yards or more from the first hit on each hole alone. And it's, presumably, not like Youzan has bad aim either, he just doesn't have Robo's consistent accuracy.

So I guess if I understand it right, Robo would have the advantage on par 3 holes and Youzan on par 5 ones? The thing is though that Youzan can probably still birdie some par 3s whereas Robo will have a lot of trouble getting below par on the par 5 holes if he just doesn't get the distance.

If he can't work in a team for some reason he might not be good for some of the formats (there is one where you alternate shots with your teammate for example).
Don't really see teamwork being an issue from his side unless maybe if he puts the ball into spots he'd be able to hit well from, but that are too difficult for his partner. But even then he'd probably adjust to that rather quickly.

Maybe they do tell a stronger player about Robo, especially since they think they were hustled.
Right, they could try to get back at Robo by making him compete with their club's top guy. If they're prone to playing dirty maybe in a format that is unfavorable for Robo, e.g. they could scout him out a bit and realize he's not good at hitting long. The interesting question here of course is if that other player would be another bird.

Interesting part about Robo's competitive spirit, that could definitely play out that way; he and Youzan playing a friendly round to hit specific targets and Youzan edging him out by hitting shots in a particular way that Robo can't do yet because of playing experience, which awakens his ambition to compete and learn.
Hm possible. Although I feel Robo won't be very competitive for quite a while.

If anything the way this situation is developing, if Youzan plays Tomoya first and Robo only substitutes for him later on, Robo might lose overall, but beat Youzan during the time he himself actually played. That's something I could see Youzan getting hotheaded about without Robo really understanding why.

Having actual motivation for the sport seems more like a mid/mid-late story upgrade for him once he's mastered the technical aspects of the game. But for now I think it'll be Youzan chasing after Robo, in his mind at least, and once he surpasses him that's when Robo will get the whole competition part.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Indeed. He managed to clear the 150 yards just fine, but he might not be able to hit much farther than 200 or so (which is what Shintaro put the weakest golfers at). If the top pros can hit around 300 though and Youzan is close to pro level, he could easily have an advantage of 50 yards or more from the first hit on each hole alone. And it's, presumably, not like Youzan has bad aim either, he just doesn't have Robo's consistent accuracy.

So I guess if I understand it right, Robo would have the advantage on par 3 holes and Youzan on par 5 ones? The thing is though that Youzan can probably still birdie some par 3s whereas Robo will have a lot of trouble getting below par on the par 5 holes if he just doesn't get the distance.
Yes, I think if Robo is already much better at par 3's. Well he hit a hole-in-one with his 10th shot, and we saw him hitting the same spot several times at 100yd. This is beyond human ability to me.

My guess would be Youzan has the distance advantage. And other parts that come with experience such as reading the course/slopes. Robo obviously gets better with this (at the start of the chapter he's hitting balls into a bucket). The way the green was drawn with the grids on the cover is just like the golf games (computer games), perhaps that's how Robo will view the ground. He might have the ability to hit a long drive though since his swing/movement was very good. The question is does he choose accuracy to stay on the fairways, or risk a bit for more distance? I'm betting the former. And it might happen to be that Youzan gets more GIR's (greens in regulation) while Robo hits more fairways when they start to compete.

Youzan should be very good at everything judging from the way he was presented.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Chapter 2 is out on MS. Will add some more detailed thoughts tomorrow, but definitely curious how this situation's gonna play out in the next chapter(s).

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
So Robo has been hitting balls in his spare time? That's what he was doing at the start of ch 1. Robo's father could be influential in Robo getting into golf, he seems to pick up small changes in Robo. It's also a good game to play with family.

Very interested in seeing Youzan and Robo's first encounter. Good chapter again.

Mariyan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I wonder if golf is not that much interesting for him , why is he doing it for killing time? cant he doing sth else?:nerd
And for the next chapter , Probably he lose?:celebrate

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
He might have the ability to hit a long drive though since his swing/movement was very good. The question is does he choose accuracy to stay on the fairways, or risk a bit for more distance? I'm betting the former.
Yeah, Robo definitely seems like the kind of person who'd stick to slightly shorter hits if that means they're more accurate. Although now I do wonder how far Robo can hit with a Driver. He hit with an Iron in the first chapter, but we don't know what Iron it was I think. A few numbers I found indicate that the difference to a 4I should be about 50 yards, so a conservative estimate would be that Robo can get a bit over 200 yards with a Driver I guess, like 215-220 maybe?

Robo's father could be influential in Robo getting into golf, he seems to pick up small changes in Robo.
For sure. I'm not certain how to take the "apple doesn't fall far from the stem" statement for that matter. On the one hand it could just refer to what he said a few pages earlier, that he's overly passionate about golf, but on the other hand it could also imply the professional background we were theorizing about last week.

That said, I like the father's personality so far. He's got some of the same robotic aspects Robo does, but acts them out much more passionately than his son. So it's nice that they're pretty different, but at the same time you can definitely see the family connection.

I wonder if golf is not that much interesting for him , why is he doing it for killing time? cant he doing sth else?:nerd
Well, we don't actually know what exactly Robo's interests are (or if he even really has any). Maybe he can't do those things at that place. It's also possible that it's simply a habit for him - like his father gave him the club at some point and it's just become a routine for him now that he hits a bit whenever his father's picking vegetables. Considering that Robo seems to follow a pretty strict schedule, what with the whole entering the kitchen presumably at exactly 6am every day and being 20 seconds late to school, that's probably enough of a reason for him.

I think it's also important to note that his father told him he could kill time that way, Robo didn't specifically decide for himself.

What I wonder about is how long he's been doing this for. In the first chapter he said he'd borrowed his father's clubs once, but this time it seems more like a somewhat established routine. Might be consistent in the Japanese though, who knows.

And for the next chapter , Probably he lose?:celebrate
Who, Tomoya or Robo? Tomoya's definitely gonna lose, I'm actually not sure if we're going to see Robo play at all though. Depending on how long he stays in the bathroom he might not end up facing Youzan at all at this point. That said, if Robo does go up against Youzan, I'd expect him to win here - Youzan already admitted that Robo's better than him right now and beyond that they're at a small range. Robo should have the advantage as a result.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I rather enjoyed that second chapter. It's good to have some insight on Robo's father and his love for Golf. It ties together a few of the strings we all thought should have been there anyway. I had figured that Robo would still have refused a membership offer even after his friends having witnessed a spectacle like that. Also, am I the only one who got the irony in the statement Tomoya makes about Youzan having a colour cover on the front page of that Weekly Golf Digest? The real life parallels are great right there. Every time I see Youzan home in on the sound of the impact of a club against a ball, I just get those cool vibes. I don't read any sports manga other than PoT (Which I've yet to catch up in) and this, but the whole superhuman reflexes and perception of the game is one of my favorite aspects of this type of manga. On that note, I saw that Robo's father also paid attention to the sound when Robo was hitting balls in the field. This manga has a fairly solid start and if we're basing this on the author's previous work, RxL will go a good long way.

Yeah, Robo definitely seems like the kind of person who'd stick to slightly shorter hits if that means they're more accurate. Although now I do wonder how far Robo can hit with a Driver. He hit with an Iron in the first chapter, but we don't know what Iron it was I think. A few numbers I found indicate that the difference to a 4I should be about 50 yards, so a conservative estimate would be that Robo can get a bit over 200 yards with a Driver I guess, like 215-220 maybe?

For sure. I'm not certain how to take the "apple doesn't fall far from the stem" statement for that matter. On the one hand it could just refer to what he said a few pages earlier, that he's overly passionate about golf, but on the other hand it could also imply the professional background we were theorizing about last week.

That said, I like the father's personality so far. He's got some of the same robotic aspects Robo does, but acts them out much more passionately than his son. So it's nice that they're pretty different, but at the same time you can definitely see the family connection.

Well, we don't actually know what exactly Robo's interests are (or if he even really has any). Maybe he can't do those things at that place. It's also possible that it's simply a habit for him - like his father gave him the club at some point and it's just become a routine for him now that he hits a bit whenever his father's picking vegetables. Considering that Robo seems to follow a pretty strict schedule, what with the whole entering the kitchen presumably at exactly 6am every day and being 20 seconds late to school, that's probably enough of a reason for him.

I think it's also important to note that his father told him he could kill time that way, Robo didn't specifically decide for himself.

What I wonder about is how long he's been doing this for. In the first chapter he said he'd borrowed his father's clubs once, but this time it seems more like a somewhat established routine. Might be consistent in the Japanese though, who knows.

Who, Tomoya or Robo? Tomoya's definitely gonna lose, I'm actually not sure if we're going to see Robo play at all though. Depending on how long he stays in the bathroom he might not end up facing Youzan at all at this point. That said, if Robo does go up against Youzan, I'd expect him to win here - Youzan already admitted that Robo's better than him right now and beyond that they're at a small range. Robo should have the advantage as a result.
I get the impression that Youzan is going to be the rival that ignites whatever passion for the sport that Robo may develop in the future. At least that's what the situation is shaping up to be.

Just forgot about the ending for a second. That standoff between Youan and Tomoya was hilarious. I expect Robo to walk out and watch from the sidelines as Youzan tries his hardest, thinking that his opponent is Robo.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Youzan should be very good at everything judging from the way he was presented.
I don't believe that is the case. Youzan will have one fatal flaw that prevents him from reaching the highest level, and that flaw will have been perfected by Robo himself.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
I found this on Twitter. Pretty funny how the Chibi Kuroko and Akashi are wondering why Robo looks like Akashi
http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http:...o-no-golf-the-newest-series-from-fujimaki&m=1

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
It's going to be interesting that's for sure as it can go either way. I do agree with you that Robo will be a conservative player.

I would say 50 yards difference is fair. They hit 150yd in the first chapter IIRC, and Robo over-hit with the first shot. I'd say they used a mid range iron, I'd guess a 5. My general rule of thumb is 10m between clubs, which would put the projection to around the 210-220 mark as you've assumed. Pretty hard to guess figures off this information we have xD.

I don't believe that is the case. Youzan will have one fatal flaw that prevents him from reaching the highest level, and that flaw will have been perfected by Robo himself.
He's very close to breaking into the pros now. Just judging his portrayal, he seems to be a prodigious talent so I assume he's a very well rounded player. Youzan knows he can improve, he'll always get better since he works hard and is young. Moreover he's interested in Robo enough that he keeps coming back to the driving range everyday. A guy that fierce will surely learn from Robo. He'll also be pissed off that Robo isn't taking up golf.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Robo has been hitting balls in his spare time? That's what he was doing at the start of ch 1. Robo's father could be influential in Robo getting into golf, he seems to pick up small changes in Robo. It's also a good game to play with family.

Very interested in seeing Youzan and Robo's first encounter. Good chapter again.
I was going to mention the same thing; that and the fact that at first I thought the colour pages from the previous chapter were a future event or something.

I like Robato's dad, he seems fun and like you also said he notices slight changes in his son's behaviour. His morning routine was hilarious, it seems that's where Robo gets his meticulous attributes.

Wonder how long they're gonna keep the mother hidden.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I was going to mention the same thing; that and the fact that at first I thought the colour pages from the previous chapter were a future event or something.
Yea me too. I am thinking that the coloured cover is more of a 'things to come' since it was Robo in school uniform with a club.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't read any sports manga other than PoT (Which I've yet to catch up in) and this, but the whole superhuman reflexes and perception of the game is one of my favorite aspects of this type of manga.
I was debating whether to bring this up or not, but since you mentioned PoT - I wonder if Youzan is at all influenced by Ryoma and Sanada. He's got the Samurai nickname going for him and has the Iai bit in common with Sanada. Normally I probably wouldn't even think about this since both of those things are pretty common to convey a traditional Japanese image, but Konomi and Fujimaki recently did an interview together (which will be released in next month's Jump Giga), so I'm curious after all.

Just forgot about the ending for a second. That standoff between Youan and Tomoya was hilarious. I expect Robo to walk out and watch from the sidelines as Youzan tries his hardest, thinking that his opponent is Robo.
So you think Robo won't face Youzan at all yet because they don't notice him? Or will he step up after Youzan's decimated Tomoya for a bit? Or will Youzan challenge Robo after realizing his mistake and Robo will decline? I dunno, paint us a word picture of how you see this whole thing play out.

Any idea on what that flaw could be? Also, KnB spoilers...

I've been wondering for a while now if Robo will suffer a similar fate as Kuroko later on in the series. In KnB, Kuroko lost his trademark ability temporarily after becoming a more complete player. Could this happen to Robo too if he becomes more passionate about golf as time goes on?

Youzan knows he can improve, he'll always get better since he works hard and is young. Moreover he's interested in Robo enough that he keeps coming back to the driving range everyday. A guy that fierce will surely learn from Robo.
Definitely agree. I don't see him ever being able to get Robo's absolute precision, but maybe he can learn from him more on a mental level? If we combine the possibility of Youzan learning something from Robo with the reason he gave for missing out on 1st place in that tournament, it would have to be something like that. Robo most likely can't compete with Youzan in distance, which means that shouldn't have been the reason why Youzan didn't get the approach right. Rather, I wonder if he's maybe a bit weak in high-pressure situations. Then Robo's calm and precise swing control should help him.

Wonder how long they're gonna keep the mother hidden.
I'd assume we should see her either before Robo enters the club or shortly afterwards? It seems like Robo is under the impression that his mother would dislike it if he played golf (which is probably not what his father meant to say), so I feel like that should be resolved fairly early on.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
So you think Robo won't face Youzan at all yet because they don't notice him? Or will he step up after Youzan's decimated Tomoya for a bit? Or will Youzan challenge Robo after realizing his mistake and Robo will decline? I dunno, paint us a word picture of how you see this whole thing play out.
I can picture Robo seeing Youzan and Tomoya teeing off. But he won't intervene. In fact I don't think Robo will even know who Youzan is (Possibly forgotten that he's famous). He'll just take a seat in the shade and witness Youzan's skill, since Youzan will be playing his best because he thinks Tomoya is the Golf genius.

Any idea on what that flaw could be?
I'm not really sure yet. I'm inclined to believe it's Perfect Impact or something along those lines, given his obsession for the sound of the shot. Or Perhaps it's the ability of Perfect Control that Robo inherently possesses.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Definitely agree. I don't see him ever being able to get Robo's absolute precision, but maybe he can learn from him more on a mental level? If we combine the possibility of Youzan learning something from Robo with the reason he gave for missing out on 1st place in that tournament, it would have to be something like that. Robo most likely can't compete with Youzan in distance, which means that shouldn't have been the reason why Youzan didn't get the approach right. Rather, I wonder if he's maybe a bit weak in high-pressure situations. Then Robo's calm and precise swing control should help him.
That's a good point, perhaps something like mental calmness/control is something Youzan might be missing. Robo has that to the extreme obviously. I agree the precision is impossible for Youzan. That reality will probably make him stronger, and stir him too I imagine.

I wonder if Robo will be unfazed by pressure? A bet and being 'angry' didn't hinder him, but what will happen if he is actually competing on his own accord?

I'm not really sure yet. I'm inclined to believe it's Perfect Impact or something along those lines, given his obsession for the sound of the shot. Or Perhaps it's the ability of Perfect Control that Robo inherently possesses.
Yea hitting the sweet spot is something Youzan is definitely chasing. But Robo he's crazy good at this; like honestly don't see Tiger Woods hitting it that well. He's Saitama with a golf club.

Mariyan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Any idea on what that flaw could be? Also, KnB spoilers...

I've been wondering for a while now if Robo will suffer a similar fate as Kuroko later on in the series. In KnB, Kuroko lost his trademark ability temporarily after becoming a more complete player. Could this happen to Robo too if he becomes more passionate about golf as time goes on?

May be sth about missing perfect control bc of wanting acquiring more distance ?( although i dont think robo is the one who may risk for higher distance) in that case , may it be similar to another manga rather than KNb?

if i remember correctly , when sawamura tried to acquire better control , he missed the power . in this case ( robo) it may become sth reversed

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's possible. Apparently Robo has the impact down pretty well already since, if I understood it right, that's what gives his balls the perfectly straight path, but I guess Youzan would want the ability for power shots. I think them using similar ways to achieve different means would be more interesting than both of them just going for the same thing though.

I wonder if Robo will be unfazed by pressure? A bet and being 'angry' didn't hinder him, but what will happen if he is actually competing on his own accord?
Good question. I don't think it'll be an issue at the start since the stakes won't be high at all, but maybe once he's really gotten into the game and faces Youzan (or someone else) in a tough spot, this could change.

One thing worth considering, I think, is that we tend to talk about the "once he gets into it" part like it's going to happen in the short to mid-term, but there's also the (maybe small) possibility that he'll just get kind of sucked into the whole thing and only enters the club and plays in competitions because of circumstances, but still without being really attached to the game until closer to the end of the series.

if i remember correctly , when sawamura tried to acquire better control , he missed the power . in this case ( robo) it may become sth reversed
Yeah, that did happen. If you mention DnA though, I think Furuta might end up being a more apt comparison though? Sawamura struggled quite a bit technically in his first year where Furuta always faced the mental struggle of wanting to do well, trying to fulfill other people's expectations (and his own) etc. It depends on Robo's overall skills I guess.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Chapter 3 was good. The next will be the decisive moment in the series as we move forward.

Tomoya's gags were funny, and it lasted about the right amount of time. Youzan's characterisation was predictable but by no means in a bad way. From the tears of excitement/disappointment to the shivering when he heard the sound.

Robo was probably the most interesting. He showed curiosity in the game with the sand and the drive; and also witnessed a competitor like Youzan. Then in the end he wanted to play. Next chapter cannot come soon enough :)

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
MS version.

Liked what happened quite a bit again. Part of me was hoping that Youzan would continue to be deceived for longer, maybe that Tomoya would actually hit one amazing shot by accident before flopping etc., but it makes sense that we're getting a showdown between the two central characters early on. I think it's good that they'll only play a couple holes and not an entire round here, that way the result will be somewhat indicative of their current levels, but at the same time, depending on how it goes and what kind of holes they're playing, it could easily end differently over the course of 18 holes.

Robo's reaction to Youzan's drive also seems to confirm our suspicion that he probably won't be able to keep up at all in terms of distance, so I'm curious what he'll come up with to combat that.

Now the big question of course is: who do you think is going to win? I can see arguments for all three potential outcomes, but I feel like a draw might be the most likely one? Robo will confirm Youzan's suspicion of how amazing he is, at the same time see why Youzan likes golf and probably also leave with that "Next time I want to win" feeling.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
My feeling is that Youzan will win. Driving distance and golf course experience will likely be the big take-away points for Robo's loss. And hopefully that spurs interest in golf for him.

A few other things could play out as well. Since Robo might take some time to read the course, he might put a ball in the sand. So he'd have to hit one from the bunker. And I think putting might trouble him initially, but quickly become excellent at it.

Youzan will probably analyse Robo for us too, tell us what he's missing. And what Youzan himself can learn too.