Shounen - Robot x Laserbeam Hangout Thread | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Robot x Laserbeam Hangout Thread

Who will win the match between Robo and Suzaku?

• Suzaku in a close match.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They will tie.

• Robo in a close match.

• Robo by a landslide.

• Total voters

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I've been thinking about this idea for a little bit and one thing that I wonder about is how much of an advantage that's actually going to give Youzan. Let's say it plays out as you say and Youzan covers a lot of distance on the first two shots, the question becomes if he can actually get into scoring position for an eagle or will need to settle for a safe birdie. Since Robo managed to eagle on a par 4 hole, it's not inconceivable that he could three-hole a par 5. So in this case Youzan would pretty much be forced to take the risk and go for an eagle himself.

On the other hand, if he can do that the distance between him and Robo should be quite significant since even after two shots, Robo should still be a ways off the green. So even if Robo is in a similar position as on the first hole, it might feel different in reality when he has to score just to tie (as opposed to hole 1 where he would've still tied easily if that second shot had missed the hole). So I wonder if this is where the pressure could come in.
Yea I agree there, that's why it's got me beat how Youzan can get an advantage. I'm more or less trying to think of ways Youzan can get it over Robo.

If Robo's laserbeam has a +/- 1m tolerance with a wood (with his first ever drive), and can hole out with an iron at distance, then he can potentially eagle any hole. That type of scoring is essentially insurmountable imo. Even for Youzan an eagle is something he might not make often (there's holes which would be easier to eagle, and depends on the course difficulty I guess).

Perhaps with other variables coming into play (like course experience) Robo might miss the hole, giving Youzan a good chance.

Here's another question: how big would the difference be between them being forced to stop playing before finishing the third hole and the whole contest simply ending in a draw with each of them winning one hole? Of course there are still a lot of potential variations here, but could there be cases in which the match being stopped early would be preferable for plot reasons?
Hmmm I guess from a character perspective it might not be a big difference. Youzan can/has got what he wanted, Robo could become more intrigued about the sport. For me as a reader I would like to see it through.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mentioned weather in my last post and I think later on the series, this could be a crucial obstacle for Robo to overcome and something Youzan would have an edge over. Other than that, right now it seems the momentum of the game is with Robo and his accuracy means his margin for error is minute.

We'll have to see what sort of challenges/hazards there are over the next two holes prove.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Chapter 5 is out on both Jaimini's Box and Mangastream.

I'll give my thoughts once I've read it.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
On the one hand Robo can't lose the round anymore, but his weaknesses keep getting exposed nevertheless, so at worst it'll be a "he tied, but..." scenario. Unless he can adjust really well to his mistake at the end, but even if he does he'll have 3 strokes compared to Youzan's 1 already, so it seems difficult for him to make a comeback on this hole. I did like that while the chapter clearly shows Youzan's superiority, not everything worked out perfectly for him nevertheless.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
It was good to see Youzan's experience shine; and Robo's weaknesses shown.

He got lucky on the first hole with the marker. I think he can overcome this quickly if he practices, simply knowing which club to use. Then it was putting where he got another strike of luck, but thanks to his laser beam he was ok.

At the end, was it hitting in the rough, or was it 'pressure' that got to Robo? Good chapter.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not exactly how I thought it'd play out; as it doesn't seem he's even aware of the effects of the wind. This makes sense though, if he's only played while his dad was at work, which seems to be putting distances.

I'm glad to see the lack of experience shown between the two so early on. His failing here or lack of being able to read his surroundings and not just his own swing will be important towards getting him into golf. Seeing as winning or bettering others doesn't interest him.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
At the end, was it hitting in the rough, or was it 'pressure' that got to Robo?
I'm pretty sure it was the former. The way I understand it is that Robo has perfect theoretical shot-making and feels no pressure whatsoever (for now at least), but lacks just about every other skill a golfer needs. He doesn't know anything about clubs or distances (the 150y was essentially luck), he can't read the wind, he doesn't know how to putt, he can't hit proper shots from anywhere but the fairway.

I think what will be interesting to see next week is whether we'll have to add even more weaknesses to the list or if he can actually make up for the gap right now with some one-time method that doesn't require him knowing about that stuff.

His failing here or lack of being able to read his surroundings and not just his own swing will be important towards getting him into golf. Seeing as winning or bettering others doesn't interest him.
Yeah, that's what it seems like to me as well. He might keep missing in one or two other ways and then join the golf club, or at least start reading more about golf and then maybe join the club a little later on, so that he can make sense out of why he failed those shots. I kinda hope it goes like that anyway, it's been a while since I've seen a sports protagonist who doesn't really care about the sport itself and it'd be a shame to throw that trait away too quickly.

I'd also like to point out that the first panel on this page is great; it's a more intense version of the one from last week I guess.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I wasn't expecting the match to go down this way if I'm honest. I thought that Youzan would simply sink the next hole with an Eagle and it would be a tie. Well it still was a tie, but I didn't expect Robo's blatant lack of Golf experience to affect this game. From the looks of both players, Youzan and Robo both have walked away from this match with valuable lessons learned. Though, why did Youzan mess up not once, but twice due to the wind? He's a very experienced golfer band yet he failed more than once. Was he distracted?

I'm pretty sure it was the former. The way I understand it is that Robo has perfect theoretical shot-making and feels no pressure whatsoever (for now at least), but lacks just about every other skill a golfer needs. He doesn't know anything about clubs or distances (the 150y was essentially luck), he can't read the wind, he doesn't know how to putt, he can't hit proper shots from anywhere but the fairway.
Agreed. It's as if Robo is a young child who doesn't know how to stand because he only knows how to crawl. The most valuable thing Robo can gain right now is experience, because it shouldn't be forgotten that he really does have next to none.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Though, why did Youzan mess up not once, but twice due to the wind? He's a very experienced golfer band yet he failed more than once. Was he distracted?
I don't think he messed up twice because of the wind? Only on the first shot since it subsided just as he hit, but the second one was a putt from what I could tell. Which I assume is supposed to show that while Youzan's a great hitter, his putting still needs some work.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ah. I must have missed that. Still, while it's good to know that even a star like Youzan isn't perfect (they never are), I doubt that his potential putting problem is the deciding factor in their fated rivalry. I almost get the comical feeling that we have yet to receive the "punchline" of the relationship between these two. This match was just a feeler for them both anyway.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also like to point out that the first panel on this page is great; it's a more intense version of the one from last week I guess.
Ah yes, I thought it was the brush work on that panel was really well done and then to constrast Youzan's determination there with Robo looking untroubled by it all in the following panel.

Actually he always looks untroubled and nonchalant throughout the series so far, which is great for composure in tense moments and will drive his opponents nuts as they won't be able to read him well.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Still, while it's good to know that even a star like Youzan isn't perfect (they never are), I doubt that his potential putting problem is the deciding factor in their fated rivalry.
Hm I dunno. I think it's not so much the putting by itself, but rather it's part of a larger theme in Youzan's play. After all he mentioned in chapter 1 that he messed up a decisive approach shot in the tournament he played. This also fits nicely with Robo's attributes. If we break it down, Robo has perfect "base" control and feels no pressure whereas Youzan's control seems to be shaky at times (not on every shot of course) and he presumably does feel pressure. On the other hand, Robo is weak at everything else, but Youzan is either good or great in those areas.

To me it feels like this is the way the power vs control narrative is being set up in these first few chapters and naturally both of them will work on overcoming those weaknesses as the series progresses.

I almost get the comical feeling that we have yet to receive the "punchline" of the relationship between these two.
Dare to make a prediction what this punchline could be?

Actually he always looks untroubled and nonchalant throughout the series so far, which is great for composure in tense moments and will drive his opponents nuts as they won't be able to read him well.
Pretty much. Here's a question though: do you imagine that at some point something will come up that breaks Robo's composure and, if so, any ideas what it could be?

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much. Here's a question though: do you imagine that at some point something will come up that breaks Robo's composure and, if so, any ideas what it could be?
There'd has to be; as I don't think it'll be good for the story if we don't see him grow....in that respect at least. As to what could cause him to falter and lose composure, I think it'd be a situation similar to this; where the weather is unpredictable and not experience can get you through certain holes. For me, it has to come quite early on though, as I see his level-headedness to be one of his biggest assets.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
As to what could cause him to falter and lose composure, I think it'd be a situation similar to this; where the weather is unpredictable and not experience can get you through certain holes.
Hm that's certainly one possibility. Another, the one that came to my mind first, was a situation similar to chapter 1 where he actually got upset. Of course that didn't make him lose his composure back then, but I think if there was a similar but more extreme situation it could happen.

For me, it has to come quite early on though, as I see his level-headedness to be one of his biggest assets.
This I kind of disagree with though. I think the longer him remaining composed is drawn out, the bigger the impact will be when he eventually does lose it. I also think it'd be good if it didn't happen until he's gotten a good grasp on a number of the other areas he's currently lacking in. Otherwise it might just be too much at once.

Anyway, speaking of chapter 1 reminds me: Robo technically still has an ace of sorts up his sleeve. When he was taking on the challenge, Tomoya commented that Robo's "switch" had been flipped which, presumably, raised his concentration level. But we haven't seen anything of the sort in this match with Youzan yet. So this might be the thing that allows Robo to put some pressure on Youzan in the final stages of this hole instead of letting him cruise to victory I think.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hm that's certainly one possibility. Another, the one that came to my mind first, was a situation similar to chapter 1 where he actually got upset. Of course that didn't make him lose his composure back then, but I think if there was a similar but more extreme situation it could happen.
Yes, that's why I didn't mention it; as he didn't seem to lose his composure but actually seemed more determined.

I also think it'd be good if it didn't happen until he's gotten a good grasp on a number of the other areas he's currently lacking in. Otherwise it might just be too much at once.
True, there'd also be more at stake then.

Anyway, speaking of chapter 1 reminds me: Robo technically still has an ace of sorts up his sleeve. When he was taking on the challenge, Tomoya commented that Robo's "switch" had been flipped which, presumably, raised his concentration level. But we haven't seen anything of the sort in this match with Youzan yet. So this might be the thing that allows Robo to put some pressure on Youzan in the final stages of this hole instead of letting him cruise to victory I think.
That's be interesting to see in this match up, it'll show Youzan the heights Robo can reach with proper training and commitment to the sport. I think in this match up, Robo might just fall short here; but really pushing Youzan in that last hole.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Chapter 6 is up on MangaFox http://mangafox.me/manga/robot_x_laserbeam/c006/1.html
And it was a really good chapter. It's opening up a lot for both guys. I especially like how Robo is getting interested, it just fits so well how he tries to correct himself.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
There's a short extra as well which isn't included in the scan linked above.

I especially like how Robo is getting interested, it just fits so well how he tries to correct himself.
The page of him muttering to himself was indeed really good. He also had a bit of an aura around him there which was probably also what Youzan felt at that moment. And then concluding the shot, Robo actually looking pleased with himself was quite nice.

Overall good outcome for both sides as you said. Youzan sees it as his loss whereas Robo has become aware of his imperfections and both can motivate themselves to improve from it in their own way. It seems like Robo will join the golf club next week already - and I would've liked it if it had been a bit more drawn out in that regard like I believe I said before - but it means we're likely getting a small influx of new characters soon which might be interesting. I wonder what kind of people we're going to see, anyone got any ideas?

Finally, it's good that we're getting a little foreshadowing for the upcoming rivals. I wonder if the shadows correspond to the actual characters and if there are actually 7 of them that have some sort of title, but are still a tad below Youzan (or maybe it's an 8 person group that includes Youzan, who knows).

(And on a side note, the reporter reminds me strongly of Kaijo's coach from KnB, just with a different beard.)

pika318

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I finally caught up to all 6 chapters. And I had a random thought that Robo may be a little autistic? It's hard to explain, but he is very focused on one thing, appears to be a little OCD too. Maybe his dad is so methodical because he needs to maintain that routine due to Robo's condition? And he uses golf to also gauge Robo's feelings too.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a short extra as well which isn't included in the scan linked above.
LOL I love that; it adds to the previous interaction between Robo and his dad in the car where he could tell exactly what he was thinking. I think his dad will serve as a window into Robo's mind for us; helping us read his mood when facial expressions are dead straight.

The page of him muttering to himself was indeed really good. He also had a bit of an aura around him there which was probably also what Youzan felt at that moment. And then concluding the shot, Robo actually looking pleased with himself was quite nice.
I didn't think he'd figure out his mistake there in this chapter but I think it was shown quite well, with his muttering and figuring out thing. What I really liked is that he didn't stop when he bogey'd a few times but kept going on in order to figure out where he was going wrong.

Also it looks like pg17 has given us some shadows of high school characters that will rival Robo and Youzan. I wonder when we'll meet the next one.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I finally caught up to all 6 chapters. And I had a random thought that Robo may be a little autistic? It's hard to explain, but he is very focused on one thing, appears to be a little OCD too. Maybe his dad is so methodical because he needs to maintain that routine due to Robo's condition? And he uses golf to also gauge Robo's feelings too.
I don't really want to get into this discussion, but I honestly doubt it. The most noticeable thing in this regard seems to be that he doesn't "get" social cues, but it doesn't seem to me like he exhibits any other signs. You bring up his routine, but it's not like he has actual issues with his routine getting disturbed (see him going along with Tomoya to the driving range), so I think that kinda thing is just to drive the robot comparison home.

I think his dad will serve as a window into Robo's mind for us; helping us read his mood when facial expressions are dead straight.
Ah, for sure. I wonder how often he'll appear actually. That said, Robo does express himself fine too, there's just not as much of an opportunity I guess.

Also it looks like pg17 has given us some shadows of high school characters that will rival Robo and Youzan. I wonder when we'll meet the next one.
Pretty soon I'd guess? If we look at Kise in KnB, he first appeared in chapter 6. So I think we'll get two or so chapters of Robo joining the golf club and afterwards the next rival will appear. Here's something to consider though: is one of the rivals going to be in Robo's own club? I don't think Shintarou is one, but the captain doesn't necessarily have to be the strongest player.
Oh yeah, another thing about the next rival: any ideas what his specialty could be?