Discussion - Shanks: Good or evil? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Shanks: Good or evil?

Mopopolis

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do wonder if Oda decided to make Shanks a more behind the scenes manipulator as the story developed seeing how he was at Mary Geoise speaking directly to the Gorosei, like Shanks lost his arm to save Luffy but within 6 years of that he became an Emperor.

We have no idea what his and the Red Haired Pirates goals are, they are allways seen on the move, so I wonder if they are trying to move things in a certain direction, like intervening to stop Kaido attacking Whitebeard, then intervening again to stop a complete Marine victory at Marineford.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Maybe Roger told him about Laugh Tale and everything that they discovered, and Shanks either decided he had no reason to go, or that he had no right to go and that only the true successor (or someone with the will of D?) did. Perhaps the moves he made to become an emperor and hold some influence with the WG and Marines is to help the fated person change the world?

HereSince2010

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
based on the latest chapter and goresei talking about luffy’s fruit it seems shanks told goresei about luffy as he was also the one that stole the fruit.. mhmm Kidd is also luffys friend now.. I wonder who he will choose… shanks or kidd

Zmsp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
So, after rereading a couple of important chapters, it doesn't seeem unlikely that Shanks talked about Luffy, but it's most likely Blackbeard. The point is that he's not evil, even if it was Luffy. That might've been made for us to question his allegiances, but he's not going to turn out to be evil, I strongly believe.

Shanks has been heavily influenced by the norse god Tyr, who lost an arm to fenrir to bring balance to the world. His boat and overall scheme is very nordic, and Oda has touched on several different kinds of religions/beliefs/myths, often intersecting them or blending them into one. I used to think that we're running out of time for Elbaf, but now I'm all in on it, I think it's a missing piece in the Ancient History puzzle, and likely where Luffy vs Blackbeard happens. I think that's happening and that's where we're gonna get to know how Shanks ends up. If Oda keeps his mythological references, he dies at the hands of Blackbeard.

Here's my main point: I think Shanks has the last road poneglyph. It was clearly mentioned in Oden's flashback that there was a Road Poneglyph in Fishman Island. The lack of colour scheme didn't help, but the anime pretty much confirmed it. There's no way in hell Oda would've let such a massive thing get into the anime if he didn't plan for that to happen. So.. we have 1 poneglyph left, who was previously in FI, and no idea where he is. There's only one relevant character who knows about it, probably knows a lot about the ancient history, and is powerful enough/secretive enough to have it hidden, and that's Shanks. I honestly think he got his hands on it, keeping it for Luffy, in case he turns out to fulfill his expectations, and proves himself the man Roger was waiting for, or someone else does.

What I'm honestly not sure about is his position towards Blackbeard. He has advised caution against him, but he never really seemed to directly oppose him. I honestly think he might be okay with Blackbeard, because he understands he might also be one of the candidates to bring the change of the world. I think this part is anyone's guess really.. if he's actually a personification of justice and fairness, so to speak, I could see him wanting no part in directly opposing Blackbeard, and having Luffy/Blackbeard duke it out.

On the other hand, it even seems more likely that he's against Blackbeard being the one Roger was waiting for, kinda like Whitebard, and advised the Gorosei about him, because he might believe the world Blackbeard wants to bring is even worse than the one they live in.

So, regarding the question on the thread: I'd say he's definitely not evil, but he might be more impartial than good.

Juaniyyoo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
He sacrificed his arm to save Luffy
Instead of letting his enemies and enemies of his old captain be wiped out, he saved them
Looked out for Ace though I'm not sure if it's because of Ace being Roger's son, being a Whitebeard, or because he was Luffy's brother
Seems to be warning the Gorosei of what's happening
Is known to be a pacifist
And Shanks has never been mentioned in a bad way or negatively by other characters the way other emperors and Roger have been, even though Whitebeard and ROger are good guys

So far, Shanks seems to be a stellar guy.
Late answer 😅

He was painted as someone with a lot determination and sense of his morality. His sense of morality doesn't mean he is good. Many things he did were violent.

He had this fruit and I presume he knew about Nika from the start. The fruit was recently pictured to have its own resolution. Which mean he went for Luffy.

Shanks always appeared to be looking around events. Always. He never really took part. He only appear to let the fruit and Luffy go on. He is behaving to make his goal proceed.

In my opinion, he was waiting for Joyboy to return. Something that happened with "one piece" imply Joyboy to return. He can not do it without it !

Shanks has his determination about it and he did everything for it. He is nor dark nor good. He is someone going for his goal.
The way he kicked Kidd's show it.

It would really be nice to know he went up to the point of having links to the government and the elders for it.

Now ! we see everybody going on for the one piece. Before it was the new generation only. Other were dormant.

It would be really nice to have him as an opponent with darker side than a good boy following up Luffy !
I really hope for a darker Shanks revealed!