Canon - Shanks vs Mihawk | Page 23 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Canon Shanks vs Mihawk

Who is stronger

• Total voters

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
^A sword does not make a swordsman though and titles (either yonkou or shichibukai) don't actually boost the strength of someone. Who is to say mihawk would not have been able to become an emperor had he actually wanted too(he clearly has no pirating ambitions otherwise he would not be a shichibukai)? MIhawk and shanks took different paths however don't see how that necessarily reflects in a difference of strength. I have a hard time believing shanks could have grown so much more than mihawk after their duels ended overall. Not to mention mihawk for plot purposes necessarily has to be that much of a beast considering zoro's goal is to defeat him and generally zoro has shown to be roughly equal to luffy in terms of fighting capacity.

aceking888

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks is a Yonkou
Yonkou > admirals
admirals> Shibukais (mihawk)
Mihawk may rival a admiral
but Shanks is a Yonkou, Mihawk is no match for whitebeard, Yet shanks rivaled
Whitebeard, case closed.

Calisto

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mihawk is strong because he's the strongest swordsman.

xeteboi

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
NO. I believe that Shanks is stronger than Mihawk even if he holds the title of The Strongest Swordsman. Cause why will he use Shanks in introducing Haki..?? Shanks have mastered the 3 types of it. Well, my point is in terms of Swordsmanship.. Mihawk is stronger than Shanks but in terms of imbuing haki on their swords.. Shanks is far greater than Mihawk which is a very big deal in fighting an opponent..

^A sword does not make a swordsman though and titles (either yonkou or shichibukai) don't actually boost the strength of someone.
So why would a swordsman aim for a greater sword? just like zorro?

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't see why we should have any reason to believe shanks is any better with haki than mihawk. All we have seen shanks do with haki is use the color of the conqueror which actually says very little of his domain of the color of armor.

Also, WTH? Common sense would suggest you would want a sword that will be mildly more resistant than paper. A sword won't make you strong in itself but even if you are the best you are bound to have an unnecessary amount of extra trouble if you against the likes of mihawk with a sword made of aluminum foil.

xeteboi

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Also, WTH? Common sense would suggest you would want a sword that will be mildly more resistant than paper. A sword won't make you strong in itself but even if you are the best you are bound to have an unnecessary amount of extra trouble if you against the likes of mihawk with a sword made of aluminum foil.
With your statement, it does mean that a swordsman with a great sword is stronger with that of a cheap sword. hmm see the logic??

OK. I would not defend Shanks anymore but we can see it in the near future on what Shanks is capable of. He is a laid back character so I cant base with such information on the manga. With my prediction and IMO Shanks is stronger than Mihawk.

Great minds conceive great imaginations not with clever words. Thank you!!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
With your statement, it does mean that a swordsman with a great sword is stronger with that of a cheap sword. hmm see the logic??
I never said or implied anything of the sort. I am not sure how you are getting that of my post.

Last edited:

scandalous'

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Suriname
I don't see why we should have any reason to believe shanks is any better with haki than mihawk. All we have seen shanks do with haki is use the color of the conqueror which actually says very little of his domain of the color of armor.

Uh well, I assume that shanks stopping a fist made out lava that burnt ace with his little sword says a lot about his skill in the use of color of armor...

I don't exactly know what happened anymore, but I assume that clashing swords with whitebeard splitting the heavens is saying something about shanks skill of COA. Could've been conquerer tho'. None the less, whitebeard is crazy strong physically as well, so I assume it was COA.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not saying shank's feats are not real but they in no way put prove he is the more skilled in that department. Haki comes with strength and experience and mihawk has about as much of those as shanks. Shanks being a yonkou and mihawk being a shichibukai does not mean that shanks was the stronger one, it just means they took different paths. Even if the fight between shanks and whitebeard split the skies, weren't shanks and mihawk's fights said to shake the entire grand line(that was 10-20 years ago)?

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Shancks challenged Mihawk and still couldn't make those fights in his favour... The title of the strongest swordsman is still with Mihawk, so he is stronger.
Shanks isn't strong, because he is Yonkou. He is rather strong and has a great crew and that is why he is Yonkou. He isn't stronger than Mihawk, cause he couldn't win against him before and now he doesn't have one of his hands and that is why Mihawk isn't interested in challenge anymore.

damane08

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Shancks challenged Mihawk and still couldn't make those fights in his favour... The title of the strongest swordsman is still with Mihawk, so he is stronger.
Shanks isn't strong, because he is Yonkou. He is rather strong and has a great crew and that is why he is Yonkou. He isn't stronger than Mihawk, cause he couldn't win against him before and now he doesn't have one of his hands and that is why Mihawk isn't interested in challenge anymore.
I'm sorry to tell you buddy but you're wrong, Shanks was not the one who searched for and challenged Mihawk, it was the other way around. It wasn't Shanks trying to test his skill on Mihawk, it was Mihawk trying to test his skill against Shanks... what does that say to you?

Explain this to me; Mihawk is stronger than Shanks and yet he seeks him out for duels? does that even make sense? Was Mihawk searching for Zoro? Vista? NO! He's the stronger guy, the stronger person does not seek out someone weaker to fight. It's the other way around buddy.

We know that they fought more than once so... are you trying to tell me that Mihawk beat Shanks only to find him and challenge him again? yeah... that's what happened.

They're both alive and kicking, we know that much. From my point of view, the only reason Mihawk would seek out Shanks for a duel is if he lost to him before or they fought to a draw.
I'm leaning to their battles ending in a draw, makes no sense for Mihawk being the strongest swordsman only to have lost to another swordsman. Even if their battles ended in draws... that was a LONG time ago.

Last edited:

xeteboi

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Jorge D. Dragon
Shanks isn't strong, because he is Yonkou. He is rather strong and has a great crew and that is why he is Yonkou.
This is pointless. How would a weak handle a very strong, intelligent and smart crew, logically, their captain was respected because of his strength and character, thus this mean that Shanks is very strong to handle a strong crew and so far, Ive never seen a fleet of Pirates in ONEPIECE that his sub-ordinate is stronger than the captain himself.
He is rather strong and has a great crew and that is why he is Yonkou. He isn't stronger than Mihawk, cause he couldn't win against him before and now he doesn't have one of his hands and that is why Mihawk isn't interested in challenge anymore.
please tell me where did you get your basis about this and I will quit on reading Onepiece..

Last edited:

MaiSiaoSiao

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Well neither did Mihawk.Neither of them had the advantage over the other.They were equal in their sword fighting skills.And to be the captain of a Yonkou crew.You gotta have what it takes.Imagine WB being some weak guy with a strong crew?
Shanks, WB and the other 2 were called YonKou."Four Emperors".Not YouKou Crew Members.That specifically tell us that the captain isn't someone to mess around with.
And Mihawk doesn't challenge Shanks anymore because he believes in fairness.Winning Shanks when he lost 1 arm isn't what he call fair.Maybe to Shanks,losing 1 arm doesn't affect his fighting ability much. but nonetheless it still decreased.So yea.Even if Mihawk wins,Its isnt a honorable one for him i guess.

Last edited:

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
shanks was an apprentice on roger's ship,then he got stronger and fought mihawk,being in pair with him,according to the legendary fights they had (WB told shanks that in vol.45). yet,he lost an arm and that "brought chaos" and surprise to the world. after that he arrived at sabaody,where he met rayleigh,we can assume he wasn't an emperor yet. Thus he became hella strong,one of the 3 pirates who could handle WB. mihawk was just lucky that shanks lost an arm,hence he could become the best swordsman,but shanks is surely stronger than mihawk!

Schabrak

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I would like to hear an argument containing some facts, not just your thoughts with personal conclusions, if you like to write in such definitive terms.

Where was it said or even hinted on that Mihawk, let's forget/exclude the shichibukai title here, had not grown similarly to Shanks or any other high tier pirate/marine/RA did? Those three pirates have the power to challange a Yonkou are also Yonkou because their own forces to back them up. A Dracule vs Yonkou fight would be disadvantagous to him, as he would be all on his own, fighting other strong pirates before, we should also put into considaration that he showed no ambition to even fight them, aside from that very first strike, a bit of clash with another swordsman and testing out Luffy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 169696

People seem to conveniently forget that good swordsmen can choose what they want to cut.

The slash that Mihawk sent towards Whitebeard was intended to hit Whitebeard, not Jozu, who just so happens to have a very convenient devil fruit ability to stop things like slashes.

We don't even know any details regarding that slash. Was it really the strongest slash in Mihawk's arsenal? Doubt that — unnamed attack. Could Mihawk launch an even stronger unnamed slash? It's not impossible.

Was Jozu only using his devil fruit power or was he also using armament haki?

Could Mihawk cut Jozu if he REALLY wanted to? I believe he could. But again, we lack specifics.

And also an interesting idea to consider. What reasons aside from being a part of the World Government does Mihawk have to even go all out in the setting of a war against a Yonko?

I believe there really isn't much that could motivate Mihawk. He was testing people, and having fun, but was only challenged by Vista, who Mihawk knew wasn't a match for him.

Kokutō is a very clear indication for me that Mihawk has superior haki than Shanks. Maybe aside from Conqueror's... Also swordsmanship of course.