Mag Talk - Shonen Jump Plus - News and Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Shonen Jump Plus - News and Discussion

Lil meen

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since Shonen Jump Plus has been so huge as of now and has continuously been making hit after hit and has kind of became its own brand rather than the “digital Shonen Jump”. If you don’t know, shonen jump plus is a digital site/app made by shuiesha on September 22nd 2014 with over 30 manga. On top of posting original manga it also post manga from Weekly Shonen Jump, V Jump, Jump Square, and a handful of manga from seinen magazines (Weekly Young Jump, Ultra Jump, and Grand Jump).

By the beginning of 2019 it would have 10 million downloads and 2.5 million weekly au users (couldn’t find any updated info on it for some reason so if anyone have information on that please put that in the thread.

Currently running original series 7/18/20
Nedoka biyori
World ends harem
Devil memme chan
MHA illegals
Mr aharen can’t be measured
You are the only one who likes me
Otokokaza (continuation of the classic 1984 WSJ manga by the same name)
Kinnikuman (continuation of classic 1979-1987 WSJ manga of the same name)
Slime life
Left hand Ellen
Summertime render
Empire of Otome
Jigokuraku hell paradise
World end harem fantasia
Boukyaku battery
Abyss rage
Satome sisters are for manga?!
One piece in love
Tomato Ipoh lycopene
Moonland
The face is not suitable for work
Inferior eye reincarnation magician
Mato seihei no slave
Vertical country
Siren to ultramarine
By the way
Secret Fruit
Spy x Family
It’s time for princess torture
Heart Gear
She and he
Junjo sentai virginias
Haikyuu part!!
Murder of shijinjinso
2.5 dimensional temptation
Sacchan, I.
I was picked up (title is very long)
City of love prison
Dosanko gal Hanamarenkoi
Suit!
How to make good coffee
Psycho pass 3
Senko battle
SSSS. Gridman
Slave game guren
Ring shadow
March of the living revenge
100 days until you die
Ohisama birdie
The bottom tuber shot a space war
Welcome ghost funeral
Iru kill me
A job for living a 13 year old that is very easy to do
Corpse march
Beautiful girl in Maken
I love you 100 big girlfriends
Dentist I am!
Suicide maid
Shinoko
Worlds end harem Britannia Lumiere
Kaiju 8
Senior! Do not heal with my voice
Ghost Reaper Girl

Top 6 most viewed series
  1. Jigokuraku- 175,390,480 views, 104 chapters= 1,686,447 views per chapter
  2. Nekoda biyori - 173,355,829 views, 2128 chapters= 81,464 views per chapter
  3. Karada sagashi- 164,818,515 views, 197 chapters (including sequel)= 836,642 views per chapter
  4. Worlds end harem- 134,470,845 views, 85 chapters= 1,600,843 views per chapter
  5. Slave go- 117,561,986 views, 76 chapters (including sequel)= 1,564,868 views per chapter
  6. Spy x family- 100,000,000 views, 29 chapters= 3,448,275 views per chapter
Link to shonen jump plus: https://shonenjumpplus.com/
Also as a first topic I found that there is a new shonen jump plus competition titled “Jump Digital Lab” which based on what I read is shonen jump looking for digital business partners that will work on different innovative projects for the shonen jump brand. If you want the full information here are some links.

Last edited:

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also some recent sales news:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not entirely sure this needed it's own thread, since I've allowed discussion of Jump+ in the WSJ thread.

If this is to remain, let's keep the discussion about Jump+ exclusive titles.

James Rye

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It might help with the smaller Jump+ series some people are reading. Bigger ones like SxF or KaijuNo.8 get a lot of attention due their size and hype in the WSJ thread, I think they might also be the series most people will talk about here. But I can still see many rather wanting to talk about the big Jump+ series on WSJ due there being far more readers than here (for now).

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Somewhat needed thread.
But holy shit, a lot, if not all, series names are google translated (seriously, "Mr aharen can’t be measured", when Aheren is a girl), or spelt wrong (Nekota Biyori, not Nedoka).
I think it is better to use romanji name, so we can look for it in mangaupdates for translation.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
early 2020 stats (shueisha media guide 2020)

Downloads:13 Millions
WAU : 2.4M

Last reported MAU (from MAP media PR)
early 2020

MAU: 2.8M

from latest + media page

DLs: 15M (same as on app page)

by the way, according to a 3rd party research (survey) Plus obtain a spike in user base during the pandemic,

also for the first time managed to dethroned MangaOne
(note it is still a survey so don't take it too literally)

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Somewhat needed thread.
But holy shit, a lot, if not all, series names are google translated (seriously, "Mr aharen can’t be measured", when Aheren is a girl), or spelt wrong (Nekota Biyori, not Nedoka).
I think it is better to use romanji name, so we can look for it in mangaupdates for translation.
Sorry I had to use the jump plus app to get the names 😅
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm not entirely sure this needed it's own thread, since I've allowed discussion of Jump+ in the WSJ thread.

If this is to remain, let's keep the discussion about Jump+ exclusive titles.
At the rate of it’s growth and the amount of hits it is receiving I think it deserves it’s own thread. On top of that once world end harem and spy x family gets an anime (I am 99.9% sure this will get an anime in 2022 at the latest) I can see this app being just as important as weekly shonen jump and jump square. Also Ura Sunday/manga one has an app so I think this one should have one to.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I know it has already been posted in the shonen jump thread but since this is important information on a slightly popular jump plus series
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
So... to anybody who reads it, what do you guys think of the recent Dosanko Gyaru chapter?

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will say though, even if the app is growing, it’s not like we can actually read over half of the Jump Plus series, unless you can read Japanese. So little of them are even translated consistently, and even fewer are officially translated

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
So... to anybody who reads it, what do you guys think of the recent Dosanko Gyaru chapter?
It looks cool from what I’ve seen. Definitely is a very unique take on the battle shonen genre. Hope it gets picked up for translations just as fast as kaiju 8 because this definitely has my interest.

I will say though, even if the app is growing, it’s not like we can actually read over half of the Jump Plus series, unless you can read Japanese. So little of them are even translated consistently, and even fewer are officially translated
Yeah I realize I messed up with making it this early. I just thought it was a good idea because I saw WEH was getting an anime adaptation and that spy x family/ jigokuraku were probably going to get anime in the near future. I guess I will keep it up since it will probably get more traction in the near future.

CallMeTsuyu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a little behind on Dosanko right now, but I took a peak at the most recent chapter to see what's going on. This development definitely seems like the series might be coming to a close, and I'm a little saddened by that likelihood if so. I love gyaru manga and the series being located in Hokkaido and how it gives the reader tidbits about the history and the culture of the city was a nice touch that gave it a little more of its own personality compared to your average gyaru manga. Plus, I love Fuyuki's accent, so I'll miss reading her dialogue each release. I don't know. I'm hoping it's a fake out and the author is just drumming up the drama a bit to push Fuyuki and Shiki's relationship a bit, but moments like this usually spell endgame for series like this. However, I did only skim over the chapter, so there might be some context I'm missing. Guess I'll see once I get caught up.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
quite an awkward and sudden move
tbh, this could cause early axe if the author fails to resolve this smoothly.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
guy that did maximumminimum dead or alive oneshot is looking for assistants

which usually means a new series, keep in mind he have been campaigning on twitter for months because he wants to do a manga of the new Digimon anime, so this might be a V-Jump thing

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also if you guys want some amazing and underrated jump plus manga that aren’t Fire punchWEH, jigokuraku, kaiju 8, or spy x family.
Mangaplus
Summertime rendering- Hard to do summary without spoiling anything so I will just not write it. I will just say if you like your mystery thriller like TPN and bloody Monday then you might like this.
Genres- Thriller, mystery, supernatural, ecchi

Abyss rage- Blind martial artist Shinobu lives a wholesome life with his sensei and teacher until someone challenges his sensei and kills him and kidnaps his girlfriend . Shinobu must go to a remote island filled with powerful martial artist to avenge his sensei and bring back his girl. If you like your non “extreme superpower” manga but with a bit of exaggeration like Baki or kengan ashura then you will love this one.
Genres- Martial arts, action (has a bit of bl in it)

Heart gear- In a post world war 3 era, a girl named Lu and 2 robots named Zet and chrome live a peaceful life until an unexpected stranger comes and ruin everything. This is a manga that I absolutely love with it’s incredible art, appealing character designs, great fight scenes, and great wholesome moments amongst the chaos.
Genres- sci fi, action, adventure, post apocalyptic

soloist in a cage- While this manga is currently on hiatus and it is not gaurenteed it will continue, this manga’s 10 chapters are still worth reading. The story follows a girl named Chloe and her little brother Locke who live in this big prison filled with violent criminals. This manga is my favorite jump plus series up to now and it will probably stay this way. Few series have made me emotional to the point of almost crying but this one got me 3 times. The art, writing, cast, story, emotional weigh, and paneling are all on point imo.
Genre- Gritty action, dystopia, adventure, survival, tragedy

Translated
Dorei Yuugi- This manga follows a boy named Kai who downloads a weird app called slave game. The game is like Pokémon go but instead of collecting Pokémon you collect humans by taking a photo of them. However the people he caught goes missing. This makes him realized this isn’t an ordinary phone game. This is a unique and cool take on the death game genre. Honestly was a blast to read. Fun yet messed up and weird action thriller that made me not want to stop reading. It’s an amazing manga but not for everyone since it can get very extreme.
Genres- Action, death game, thriller, ecchi
Where to read it: https://mangakakalot.com/read-en4yl158504873060

MHA Vigilantes- A spin off of WSJ’s MHA about a boy named Haimawari Kouichi who didn’t make it into the hero industry due to his quirk now does simple good deeds for people. But a vigilante named knuckle duster comes in and changes his life. This is an amazing spin off which expands the world of MHA and how things are like to non hero people in the MHA world. This manga is way better than pre villain arc MHA imo. More interesting characters, compelling villains, amazing arcs filled with higher stakes and intensity, better pacing, better action, etc. This is 100% a must read for any MHA fan anime only or not. I seriously hopes this gets an anime because this series is spectacular.
Genres- action, superhero, sci fi, supernatural
Where to read it: https://manganelo.com/manga/vigilante_boku_no_hero_academia_illegals

Also here are some more recommendations (won’t give out summary though). Star for extremely recommended.
Blue Flag- Romance, drama, slice of life ⭐

Mato no seihei slave- Ecchi, action, comedy, fantasy

Routes end- Drama, Thriller, Mystery ⭐

Hina Change- Drama, ecchi, supernatural
Mangaplus

Rengoku no toshi- Supernatural, romance, mystery, thriller, ecchi

Three days of happiness- Romance, drama, tragedy ⭐

Last edited:

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a little behind on Dosanko right now, but I took a peak at the most recent chapter to see what's going on. This development definitely seems like the series might be coming to a close, and I'm a little saddened by that likelihood if so. I love gyaru manga and the series being located in Hokkaido and how it gives the reader tidbits about the history and the culture of the city was a nice touch that gave it a little more of its own personality compared to your average gyaru manga. Plus, I love Fuyuki's accent, so I'll miss reading her dialogue each release. I don't know. I'm hoping it's a fake out and the author is just drumming up the drama a bit to push Fuyuki and Shiki's relationship a bit, but moments like this usually spell endgame for series like this. However, I did only skim over the chapter, so there might be some context I'm missing. Guess I'll see once I get caught up.
quite an awkward and sudden move
tbh, this could cause early axe if the author fails to resolve this smoothly.
Considering Shiki's mistake (which I don't blame him for because it's something we'd all do and he instantly realized that he fucked up) as well as the fact that the manga's actually selling quite well in comparison to others, this move can be one of two things:

1. The necessary drama that the series needs to push forward - cause now, there's a strict time limit for Shiki to decide what his relationship with Fuyuki is. You don't know what you have until you lose it, and this might be what he needs to really confess his feelings and set things straight. Look, like it or not, drama is what's needed to test relationships. If they don't break or tear, they'll come out stronger for it. People may want their fluffy romcoms to be as drama free as possible, and while I understand that, I think having drama makes fluff all the sweeter. Plus, if not handled properly, it can get incredibly boring.

2. A move to artifically extend the series's runtime - since the manga is selling quite decently. There's really no question that they will end up together, despite other girls being thrown into the mix. I always noticed that their relationship was moving along at a faster pace than most romcoms (not too fast, but here we are only 30 chapters in and the two clearly like each other), and apparently you can't have them get together because I guess most editors believe in Shipping Bed Death, since if you don't have much else to your romcom, people will lose interest. So let's halt all the progress we've been making to maximize our sales potential.

Ah, Shipping Bed Death. The bane of romcoms everywhere, IMO.

Still, this is a really weird move, though I won't fully judge until we see what comes out of this. Which... may or may not be two months from now. Fuck bi-weekly schedules. A lot of people on both sides of the pond (Yes, I checked the Japanese comments, they aren't happy either) are fans of this move, which is understandable.

lazybones1717

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also if you guys want some amazing and underrated jump plus manga that aren’t Fire punchWEH, jigokuraku, kaiju 8, or spy x family.
Nice list, I'll recommend a few more!

Ongoing
  • 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess - Insanely cute gag manga with a gimmick that hasn't gotten old yet! If that isn't enough to convince you, then how about a recommendation from the author of Vinland Saga, Makoto Yukimura!
  • Dear Sa-chan - Soap opera, the manga. Seriously though, If you can put up with about 20 chapters of sub-par romance/drama, the series actually takes an interesting turn! No spoilers, but it's worth reading just for that!
  • Suitô-to! - Very sweet food manga with a hint of romance between the two female leads. All the restaurants they visit are real places too, so it's very informative. I don't recommend reading this on an empty stomach though! Also, while the series is available on Spanish MangaPlus, there are only scans in English, just like with Kaiju No. 8.

Completed
  • Curtain's up, I'm off - Jump Plus' response to Act-Age. A great acting series that was obviously cut short, but still manages to tell a satisfying and engaging story. Phenomenal character writing and great art, especially in spreads. Keep an eye out for this author, they'll definitely return with a hit!
  • Pochi Kuro - With all the hype over Kaiju No. 8, it's worth taking a look back at the author's previous series. Nothing special, but a cute manga with a mix of battle and SOL elements. You can see the backbone of the author's style in Kaiju No. 8. It's a little rough, but the sense of humor is the exact same!
  • Hina Change - Already recommended, but it's worth a cosign! A nice, short series that juggles a lot serious issues without completely tripping over itself. Satisfying overall.
Also, while they're not exclusively Jump Plus, I'm too much of a Young Jump fanboy to not recommend Oshi no Ko and Kimi no Koto ga dai dai dai dai dai suki na 100-nin no Kanojo, lol. I won't write about them, but they're both great new series!

Last edited:

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are some untranslated Jump Plus manga that you would like to see be translated?

I mainly asked this cause Icame across Kiruru Kill Me. xD