Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Your translation seems just fine. It means something like that a (bonus) chapter of such love story is also included to the comic book. It is a stand alone sentence, and not part of the preceding phrase.
 
Last edited:

PhoenixRoy

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
252
Reaction score
102
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hi, how so toy say this in Japanese, "I've colored your line art. Here's the link."

I'm a manga colorist and I've begun coloring some pixiv Line art laying around and I really want to give them proper credit and show them.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hi, how so toy say this in Japanese, "I've colored your line art. Here's the link."

I'm a manga colorist and I've begun coloring some pixiv Line art laying around and I really want to give them proper credit and show them.
"I've colored your line art. Here's the link."
線画をお借りして色塗りしました。リンク先はこちらです。

In Roman letters, "Senga o okarishite ironuri shimashita. Rinku saki wa kochira desu." You should be able to copy and paste the Japanese fonts though.

The literal translation of the first sentence is more like "I've borrowed your line art and colored it."
 

Ana Clara

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
92
Reaction score
2
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

My take would be something along the lines of:

1: Laundry is basically just a thing you do once you don't have any more spare clothes left, right!?

2: ... now I have a pretty good picture how things work over at your place.

基本せんたくってかえの物がなくなってからするものですよね!?
Kihon sentaku-tte kae no mono ga naku natte kara suru mono desu yo ne!?

...お前んちがどーなってるのかだいたいわかってきた
...Omaenchi ga dou natteru no ka daitai wakatte kita
 

PhoenixRoy

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
252
Reaction score
102
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Last ones

Message 1
塗っていただけるなんて・・・超絶嬉しいです(ノД`)
仕事上がりの疲れていた時に見させていただいたおかげで元気が出てきました!
本当にありがとうございました!(*´▽`*)

Message 2
塗って下さりありがとうございました!
実に素晴らしいカラーコンセプトで、なおかつ情景演出も美しい・・・感激です
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Last ones

Message 1
塗っていただけるなんて・・・超絶嬉しいです(ノД`)
仕事上がりの疲れていた時に見させていただいたおかげで元気が出てきました!
本当にありがとうございました!(*´▽`*)

Message 2
塗って下さりありがとうございました!
実に素晴らしいカラーコンセプトで、なおかつ情景演出も美しい・・・感激です
(1)
I am thrilled to have my work colored.
(ノД`) <---tears of joy
I was really tired when I got out of work, but I saw your coloring and got my energy/spirit back! Thank you so much!
(*´▽`*) <--- happy (or something...)

(2)
Thank you for coloring! Your color concepts are wonderful, and the effects on scenery are beautiful ... I am impressed/moved.
 

StarkPoseidon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
310
Reaction score
155
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hi, this is my first post here on MH.

Both of these are the "Title captions" (I dunno what else to call them) for chapter 134 of GE. They were left untranslated on all scanlated versions I could find online.

Context: Shou is troubled by her ex-boyfriend suddenly showing up and hugging her out of nowhere. She is badly shaken and is currently clinging onto her boyfriend. The chapter starts off as she is like that.



Same chapter of the same manga. 2 dialogues where the the translation was iffy.

Context: Eri is teasing her friend Seiji on how it's okay to get close to him (physically) "because he is Ucchi (her nickname for him)" and how her boyfriend (Kouno) would be okay with it.



Thank you very much!
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hi, this is my first post here on MH.

Both of these are the "Title captions" (I dunno what else to call them) for chapter 134 of GE. They were left untranslated on all scanlated versions I could find online.

Context: Shou is troubled by her ex-boyfriend suddenly showing up and hugging her out of nowhere. She is badly shaken and is currently clinging onto her boyfriend. The chapter starts off as she is like that.



Same chapter of the same manga. 2 dialogues where the the translation was iffy.

Context: Eri is teasing her friend Seiji on how it's okay to get close to him (physically) "because he is Ucchi (her nickname for him)" and how her boyfriend (Kouno) would be okay with it.



Thank you very much!

いま: Right now
晶を救えるのは:the one who can save Shou
内海しかいない: is only Utsumi.

忘れたいと願っても: Even if she(Shou) wishes to forget
健人の存在が:the existence of Kento
晶を苦しめる: troubles Shou / gives pain to Shou / makes Shou feel anxious

ウッチーは: Ucchii is
イセーじゃないもん:not Isee.

ほぉ:I see / Really
じゃあ: then
そのイセーの方とは: that Isee **
どうなんだ?:How's it going with **
その後:lately
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I see you're also not sure about the イセー. I thought it might actually stand for 異性 ([a person from] "the other sex" or in that context more freely something like "a rival [in love]").

Thus, I would have thought along the lines of:

1.: Ucchi is no threat (for him).

2.: I see, so, how's it going with the other sex?

What do you think, mikkih? :)
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I see you're also not sure about the イセー. I thought it might actually stand for 異性 ([a person from] "the other sex" or in that context more freely something like "a rival [in love]").

Thus, I would have thought along the lines of:

1.: Ucchi is no threat (for him).

2.: I see, so, how's it going with the other sex?

What do you think, mikkih? :)
Hi, Prince~ :^_^

I am with you. I actually thought イセー was 異性(イセイ/Isei/ opposite sex) therefor イセー/Isee just like you did first. Maybe I should have mentioned it. The reason why I made イセー into a nickname Isee was that ウッチー (内海's nickname I assume) was written in Katakana and so was イセー. It sounds much more like 異性 but then I thought it could be a nickname as well. Maybe StarkPoseidon can tell us. I absolutely don't have any problem translating イセー as 異性/イセイ to tell you the truth.

Say, Isee is Isei/opposite sex, the literal translation for 「ウッチーはイセーじゃないもん」 would be: Ucchi is not an opposite sex.

Edit/Add:
Now that I actually read the context:// Eri is teasing her friend Seiji on how it's okay to get close to him (physically) "because he is Ucchi (her nickname for him)" and how her boyfriend (Kouno) would be okay with it.//

Sorry--- I was in a hurry.

---> 異性(opposite sex) should be the correct one.

To be more literal and keep the original word 異性, add "like."
「ウッチーはイセーじゃないもん」: Ucchi is not like an opposite sex.
 
Last edited:

StarkPoseidon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
310
Reaction score
155
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hi, Prince~ :^_^

I am with you. I actually thought イセー was 異性(イセイ/Isei/ opposite sex) therefor イセー/Isee just like you did first. Maybe I should have mentioned it. The reason why I made イセー into a nickname Isee was that ウッチー (内海's nickname I assume) was written in Katakana and so was イセー. It sounds much more like 異性 but then I thought it could be a nickname as well. Maybe StarkPoseidon can tell us. I absolutely don't have any problem translating イセー as 異性/イセイ to tell you the truth.

Say, Isee is Isei/opposite sex, the literal translation for 「ウッチーはイセーじゃないもん」 would be: Ucchi is not an opposite sex.

Edit/Add:
Now that I actually read the context:// Eri is teasing her friend Seiji on how it's okay to get close to him (physically) "because he is Ucchi (her nickname for him)" and how her boyfriend (Kouno) would be okay with it.//

Sorry--- I was in a hurry.

---> 異性(opposite sex) should be the correct one.

To be more literal and keep the original word 異性, add "like."
「ウッチーはイセーじゃないもん」: Ucchi is not like an opposite sex.
I see you're also not sure about the イセー. I thought it might actually stand for 異性 ([a person from] "the other sex" or in that context more freely something like "a rival [in love]").

Thus, I would have thought along the lines of:

1.: Ucchi is no threat (for him).

2.: I see, so, how's it going with the other sex?

What do you think, mikkih? :)
Put the tags to keep this short. Both of you have my sincere gratitude! :)

I should have said this in the context section but the first dialogue is being said to Ucchi (Seiji Utsumi) while the second is something Seiji asks Eri. Therefore: In this context, for dialogue 2, I think Eri is being asked how things are going with her boyfriend (inferring from the line "How's it going with the other sex?").

So could I write it down as 2. "I see, so, how is it going with your boyfriend?" I'm presuming "the other sex" here refers to her boyfriend.

Once again, thank you!
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Yeah, sure! It's completely up to you how wordy you want to go about things in your translation. You should always try to find a nice ratio of staying close to the text while still keeping a natural flow in your target language up.

A thing that might work nicely in this context would be if you put a "speaking of which" in there. Because basically they both use the exact same word in Japanese (said isei/"the other sex"), but that way you simply can pick up the topic of the previous sentence while changing the actual wording in your translation.

i.e. "I see. Then speaking of which, how have things been going with your boyfriend lately?"


Glad I could be of some help. Good luck with the translation! :thumbs
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Agree with Mr. Prince. The final translation will be up to you. I think you could even change the wordings for the 1st one to:

('cause) Ucchi is just a guy friend. <--- [guy friend] vs [boyfriend] for [not opposite sex] vs [opposite sex].
 

StarkPoseidon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
310
Reaction score
155
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Sorry to bother you guys again...but there was 1 more missing bit...

Context: Shou has just gotten a call from her friend Mai. Mai tells Shou that her (Shou's) ex-Boyfriend has been in an accident and is currently in the hospital. This bit is the end of chapter caption...


If I do release this, how do you guys wanna be credited?
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Sorry to bother you guys again...but there was 1 more missing bit...
Oh no need to apologize! That's what we're here for, mate. :amuse

That caption reads as...

What's Kento's condition!?
Shou's heart is shaken
by unexpected bad news


If I do release this, how do you guys wanna be credited?
"Special thanks to"? "TL Consultant"? :heh

Just kidding... while I don't feel that's really necessary, you're more than welcome to add me by my MH user name.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Oh no need to apologize! That's what we're here for, mate. :amuse

That caption reads as...

What's Kento's condition!?
Shou's heart is shaken
by unexpected bad news



"Special thanks to"? "TL Consultant"? :heh

Just kidding... while I don't feel that's really necessary, you're more than welcome to add me by my MH user name.
@prince
hihi ;)

TL looks great.

@StarkPoseidon
No credit please. If you credit Mr. Prince, maybe you could add "and other." Thanks.
 

StarkPoseidon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
310
Reaction score
155
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Oh no need to apologize! That's what we're here for, mate. :amuse

That caption reads as...

What's Kento's condition!?
Shou's heart is shaken
by unexpected bad news



"Special thanks to"? "TL Consultant"? :heh

Just kidding... while I don't feel that's really necessary, you're more than welcome to add me by my MH user name.
Thank you!

@prince
hihi ;)

TL looks great.

@StarkPoseidon
No credit please. If you credit Mr. Prince, maybe you could add "and other." Thanks.
Hmm...alright then! I guess I'll stay off the crediting for both of you... :)

Thank you once again guys.
 

TNT

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 17, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Request Thread



Can someone help me translate this manga panel from Dragonball Z.
Are they talking about 1 or more Super Saiyans ?
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

While Japanese can be quite ambiguous most of the time in regards to grammatical number it is clear in this case.

Legend has it that: ONE Super Saiyan appears in 1000 years. (opening part: 超サイヤ人は一千年にひとりあらわれる)
The latter part is therefore more of a general description of *the* Super Saiyan's might.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TNT
Top